Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elsapk98

Bought obovata cuttings on Ebay but think I've been scammed. Help!

Elsa
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

The photo with the pink background was taken from the listing on Ebay. I bought these cuttings and knew they were off straight away. A total of zero markings on any of the leaves, which are also super flimsy. Also stems are completely different to the point that I'm 90% sure that they are taken from plants belonging from entirely different genera. I'm also pretty convinced that the top one in the first photo is legitimately taken from your standard hedgerow. Before contacting the seller I'm trying to make sure I'm not mistaken so if anyone has any thoughts on the legitimacy of these cuttings I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Comments (17)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

We can only see one photo.

Elsa thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Elsa
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sorry, it wasn't letting me post all of them! Working on it

• Mark Weisenstein
    4 years ago

it looks like they stuck you with an Australis or something similar. Not an Obovata, you are right I think.

Marco

Elsa thanked Mark Weisenstein
  • Elsa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for confirming my suspicions Marco! Do you reckon I should confront the seller?

• Mark Weisenstein
    4 years ago

I would wait until a few of the more experienced people here confirm it first just to be safe.

Marco

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    4 years ago

I was scammed by a plant seller on eBay. I bought dianthus and marigolds. What I received was a box of mostly dead brown plants. Ebay sided with the seller, which I subsequently found out is a common practice of theirs. They brag about "buyer protection" but that is a complete fallacy. They also suppress negative ratings about supersellers so that people will continue to buy from them and then eBay can continue to reap their percentage from the sales.

Elsa thanked Esther-B, Zone 7a
  • popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    4 years ago

I agree with Karen. I think you can politely ask if a mistake was made. They may offer a refund that you can put toward a purchase elsewhere.

• aak4
    4 years ago

I have Baptisia Australis and I don't think those look like it. I'll take a close up picture of the leaves tomorrow and post it.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

This discussion relates to Hoyas. The question is whether the OPs plant is Hoya obovata or Hoya australis. Australis is part of the binomial name of many plants. It just means 'of the south'.

• triffidmoss
    4 years ago

It may be the seller genuinely believes their plant is obovata. I've seen this happen as well.

• Paul MI
    4 years ago

I can see any of the above being possible.

I know from my own experience, I have had plants gifted to me as a certain thing. Later had to tell the generous giver that their plants were misidentified.

• Randi Holbrook
    4 years ago

There is also a variegated obovata, but this plant is clearly NOT obovata. The leaves are not nearly round enough.

• stacy_hikari
    4 years ago

or thick enough, the veins are not normally visible in the leaf. but whatever flavor australis it is its amaziningly healthy, i would root it and see what comes

• Randi Holbrook
    4 years ago

Personally, I would do the same. Australis are sought after.

• Denise
    4 years ago

It's australis ssp, tenuipes:

It's a lovely plant, but nothing like obovata. I grow both the splashy obovata and the plain green one as well. Obovata has very succulent, matte leaves whereas australis ssp. tenuipes are thin and shiny. I think since you bought it in spite of seeing the photo, you're probably stuck with it, but I would kindly tell the seller the correct ID.

Denise in Omaha

• Lisa McEachern
    4 years ago

It looks like Hoya Australis. I would politely ask the seller if there was a mixup with your order. Maybe they sell a lot of Hoyas and your order got mixed up by mistake. It happens. Maybe they will offer you a refund or replacement. Some sellers even offer to send a new plant for free if you order from them again. If your seller is uncooperative, then can contact ebay and file a dispute. You can either keep the plant or sell it, its up to you.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County