bac717gw

Kitchen island seating

bac717
September 3, 2019
last modified: September 3, 2019

We will be having our hardwood floors refinished and would like to take the opportunity to move the island in the kitchen in order to expand the clearance between the island and the perimeter cabinets. Here is a scale drawing (one square = 6") of the space.

More pictures and more explanation to follow. I'm having a difficult time posting pictures and I keep losing what I'm writing.

• bac717

Currently, we have 36"-38" of space between the island and the perimeter cabinets. I know, I know, not enough space, but we needed to seat 5 at the table. Now, it's just the two of us.

Here's a picture taken standing in the family room.

• bac717

I'm sorry for the multiple posts, but I keep losing what I'm writing and I'm tired of rewriting it multiple times.

So, to continue. We would like to extend the space between the island and the sink/diswasher area to 48", but then need either a smaller table or seating at the island. We could extend the counter top to accommodate counter stools. We are planning to replace the counter tops.

What are the pros and cons to the two options? Which would you choose?

Here are a few more pictures.

This one was taken from the doorway leading to the dining room.

And this one was taken from the doorway leading to the front door.

Thanks for your patience and thanks for your help. I hope the multiple posts has not made it too difficult to follow.

Kitchen island seating

I like face the kitchen so the cook has someone to talk to

kitchen island seating

Oh yes, not to worry. The guideline is to ensure that you're not elbow to elbow with your companion, but if there are only two seats then you still have plenty of room (unless one person is right up against a wall, but this is an island you say?). If you were adding a third person and had less than 24" per person it could get squishy, but in this case I'm sure you're ok. Try it out by measuring off your dining table top to 42" (with tape) and sit with your friend and see what you think. Best to be sure before you go further.

Kitchen island seating

HI -- I think if the stools are the same base with and without backs , it should look fine . Looks like you have room to have a longer island and then have the seating on one side . Or just because there is an island doesn't mean you have to have stool seating if your right beside the dining room. It could be just a working island . I don't understand your worry of spillage .

kitchen island seating

it really depends what you want to use the seating for. 12" is good for children to have breakfast or lunch, and for adults having a snack while watching the cook finish up dinner its ok, but i wouldnt want to eat a meal with that little knee room, and i'm quite short. you can measure it out on the underside of your dining table if you like, tape a piece of cardboard and see if your knees hit it.
  • mtnrdredux_gw

Is this the room you would typically eat in, or is there a dining room you usually use. I think dining at the island, facing a fridge, is suboptimal for every day. Plus what about when there are more than 2 of you? And what about resale? Perhaps just replace the table for 4 with one for 2 or use one w leaves?

bac717 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • daisychain01

When you have family over now, do they eat at the kitchen table or dining room? If it's just the 2 of you and you use the dining room table for bigger gatherings, I would just get a bigger top for the island and seating for two. Another option is to make the island top much longer and add an apron and legs at the non-cabinet end. Then you could fit two stools on either side and one on the end in a pinch.

I know the usual aisle width recommendation is 42-48 (counter edge to counter edge), but I prefer 42". I like to be able to pivot and drop. It sounds like you know how you cook and what you want, but thought I would mention it.

bac717 thanked daisychain01
  • jojoco

The table against the island feels a bit shoe-horned. Much of that is simply due to the height change and the difference in surface color. One way around that is to replace the existing island counter top material with a wood that matches the table. Or see if you can replace the table top with whatever you choose for the counters and island.

bac717 thanked jojoco
  • bac717

We can eat dinner in the kitchen when there are 5 or less, but more often lately, we have been using the dining room whenever it's more than just the two of us. As mtn mentioned, seating at the island, facing the refrigerator is definitely suboptimal. I think it would "look" nice and would be handy for hanging out with family/friends while I'm working in the kitchen, but for everyday dining, not so much. Having a table, even a small one, is probably better for resale, Is that what you mean, mtn? Maybe I can find a 36" table with a leaf, or maybe even a drop leaf.

I'm afraid the option of making the island longer won't work, if what daisy is suggesting is adding to one of the shorter sides, because, altho it's probably difficult to tell from the pictures, there are cabinets at each end of the island. One end had deep drawers, which I LOVE, where we store pots and pans and the other end has shallow shelves behind the two tall doors where we store small appliances.

I think we can end up with 42" between the shorter end of the island and the stove and somewhere between 42" and 48" between the long side of the island and the sink/dishwasher. That's the side where more space would be great. Since it's the long side of the island, that's where I'm always working. Add someone else coming to the fridge or sink and it gets tight.

• bac717

Perhaps a new table should be closer in color to the cabinets. We've had the current table for over 25 years.

• DLM2000-GW

Barb we have the identical set up in our kitchen although our island is longer than yours - in fact our table is almost identical to yours. Your island and table appear to be the same length - correct? We have our table parallel to and up against the back of the island, seating on each end and 2 on the side facing the island. DH and I sit at the ends for our casual meals which is pretty much everything unless we are entertaining or eating on the porch. That set up would give you more flexibility in moving your island.

When our kids come to visit we turn the table 90 degrees. We can have it pulled away from the island enough so that there is seating on all 4 sides - although the seat with the back to the island is tight but hey, it's family. Not sure if you have the space to do that but it looks like you do. Or we can have one short end up against the back of the island., room for 5 chairs and the highchair gets angled at a corner.

bac717 thanked DLM2000-GW
  • roarah

I love long harvest tables centered in kitchens. I know very ofd fashioned. Do you need the counter and cabinets for prep? If not I would add a big kitchen table with chairs like in France!

if you need prep you could have a counter height table with tuck away stools but I prefer a good old table and chairs. Nostalgically sweet.

bac717 thanked roarah
  • bac717

Deb, your post has made me rethink the size and orientation of a new table in the kitchen! On occasion, we have turned the table so it is parallel to the island. It's been a great solution for large gatherings to set up hors d'oeuvres and have more floor space for mingling. Because the table and the island are indeed the same length (good observation), I'm not crazy about having the table oriented this way all the time, tho. It just does't look right to me. However, if we change to a shorter table (maybe 42"), I wouldn't mind having it parallel to the island. And in a pinch, we could turn it 90 degrees.

I, too, love that look, Roarah, but honestly, I do 90% of my prep at the island and, even more importantly, I desperately need the cabinet space. I've toyed around with the idea of putting cabinets on the long, empty wall in order to have a table in the center of the room, but then we're getting into "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" territory.

• yeonassky

I would just get a square table that is fairly small but can be a fitted with two large leaves. That way you truly have the flexibility you need. Alternatively Ikea has tables with folding down sides.

Another thought is to get a Butcher Block Island with room for seating if you don't mind sitting higher up at an island type table. Again it allows you to orient the moving IE rolling perhaps island the way you need it for whatever occasion.

It's too bad they don't make a table that can go up and down. It could double as an island. Maybe somebody could make that for you.

bac717 thanked yeonassky
  • DLM2000-GW

Ugh, Barb! I had the perfect table for you - sold it at one of the garage sales! It was oak, square (36") and opened to double with storage under the top for placemats - we kept our scrabble game there. Looked basically like this but solid oak.

Keep your eyes open for this type of table at Treasure House - there are a million of these teak tables floating around. Not sure how teak would work with your maple(?) cabinets though. Maybe you can find one in a different wood.

Maybe check at Dania?

bac717 thanked DLM2000-GW
  • blfenton

Are you going to turn the island the other way?

bac717 thanked blfenton
  • bac717

Originally, I was thinking 36" square, then thought maybe a rectangle somewhere around 30"-36" wide X 42" might be nice, but that length might be difficult to find. A 36" with a leaf might work.

Deb, why didn't you hang onto that table, knowing I would need it "someday"??? :) I have seen that table with the self-storing leaves. That would be a great idea!

• bac717

blfenton, do you mean turn the island 90 degrees? I thought about that. Then the side that faces the sink would face the stove and we could have counter seating that would have backs to the wall instead of backs to the family room, but I think we're leaning toward having a table to sit at. I might have to reconsider that option.

• DLM2000-GW

I can't believe what just popped up in my Instagram feed - I want to tag you in it so you can see this table. Are you on Insta? Email or message me your username if you want to see it.

bac717 thanked DLM2000-GW
  • bac717

Darn it, Deb, I'm not on Instagram, altho, I'm thinking now I need to be. I would love to see what you found today! Isn't there any other way to see the picture?

• DLM2000-GW

See if this works for you - not sure if you have to be on insta to see it or not.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1_1qTpDU_d/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

bac717 thanked DLM2000-GW
  • bac717

It worked!!! Thank you so much!!!! That would be SOOOO handy!!!! We had a table with a self-storing leaf like that in the shop not too long ago. I'm off to search now for something like that!!! Thanks, Deb!!!

ETA: Just googled self-storing and found out that what is pictured in the Instagram photo is called a butterfly leaf! Off for more searching!

• DLM2000-GW

That post is from one of my favorite shops here (you'd love it) and I just made plans with a friend to go next week. It's about 40 minutes from here and I'll look for that table. It looks like maple to me, different color than your cabinets but that's changeable, priced at $350 - and if I grab it, it's only 11 hours for you to pick it up ;-)

bac717 thanked DLM2000-GW
  • bac717

Do let me know if you end up seeing the table in person!!!!!!

• blfenton

We've looked at those tables and the problem is that the skirt can be quite long to fit the storage component. If you or DH are tall it's really tough to fit your knees underneath. Our kids are 6'4" so it never worked for us. Our leaves are stored under a bed.

bac717 thanked blfenton
  • bac717

Here's a little update. The island was temporarily moved this morning. It came out MUCH easier than we anticipated. So, now the sanding can continue for the floor refinishing. If anyone is also following my thread on choosing a stain color for the floor, in this picture, the cabinets do not appear as orange as they sometimes do. And you can see small area where the floors have been sanded.

Here's with the island and table. Just for comparison. We NEED the island for cabinet and counter space! We keep going back and forth between using a smaller table or adding seating at the island.

Yikes, so many decisions to make, but in the end, all the little changes will make a big difference.

4Heidesign

If you have a larger table with seating for larger gatherings, my choice would be to install a larger island that runs parallel to the wall, with counter top height seating for up to 5. I'm enclosing a photo that explains what I mean. This is a 24 x 58" base cabinet with a 36 x 78" countertop. It

comfortably seats up to 5 on stools, and probably another could squeeze in, but I have a large dining tale only a few feet away.

bac717 thanked 4Heidesign
  • DLM2000-GW

You are SO lucky there is flooring under that island! Many times continuing flooring under the counters is seen as a place to shave costs in a build which is just crazy in the scheme of things.

I won't get to see that table till Fri (and I hope I can go then) unless I have a miraculous recovery, raw throat probably leading in to a cold.

bac717 thanked DLM2000-GW