Eva’s pride or Santa Barbara peach? Izu or Fuyu Persimmon?

Jolina C
September 4, 2019

Can someone help me decide which one to choose from the two? We like more sweet soft peach. On persimmon I have Ichi already but want to have one more.

• shp123

Fuyu is borderline for my zone 7. I have a few hachiya planted this year, so I may not be speaking from experience, but I understand that hachiya is really no fuss and very reliable. It is astringent though.

Jolina C thanked shp123
  • Jolina C

Hi shp123,

i appreciate your reply and input on my questions. I am looking at asian varieties since they can be eaten firm. I called the nursery and went with Fuyu and eva’s Pride A second ago. Haha. The nursery person told me if I had to cross off one , he would take the Santa Barbara out. Eva’s pride is safe choice. I looked at Dave Wilson list for 2020, very short list for Santa Barbara peach, but a tons of nurseries ordered Eva’s pride . I have ichi persimmon right now is a baby. Haha. I heard good things about Hachiya, maybe i will get one later. Hehe. My yard isn’t big, right now our house is on a 1/3 acre lot, house is 3200 square feet, so I have limited space. But I got 9 trees coming January. My husband thinks I’m crazy.

What other trees do you have? I’m a newbie in stone fruit .

regards

Jolina

• melikeeatplants

Hachyia is Asian variety as well. They are excellent dried. All the pride series peaches are good you’ll b happy with it

Jolina C thanked melikeeatplants
  • Jolina C

Hi Melikeeatplant,

thank you for your response. Then I will have to get a Hachiya in the future if I have more room left after all 9 trees planted. I guess I meant i wanted Non astringent varieties.when I was growing up, my grandmother had an astringent persimmon, i remember as a kid had to wait till it ripen felt like forever haha. That’s assuring to hear Eva’s pride is good. :) I was thinking about it and tried to decide for a couple days and couldn’t make a decision.

Thank you

jolina

• sautesmom Sacramento

If you have Ichi, instead of those two, I would recommend something more different, like a Cinnamon or Chocolate persimmon. Both are crunchy and have a spicy flavor. I would never recommend Hachiya if you have limited space, they are astringent and all go soft at once, and you will have persimmon goo everywhere unless you are eating 10-20 a day.
    Carla in Sac

Jolina C thanked sautesmom Sacramento
  • Jolina C

Hi Carla,

Thank you for your reply. I was really looking at cinnamon at first, but it requires to be Pollenized by chocolate or saijo and I don’t have either of those. So I gave up that thought.

Carla, when fruit tree requires pollenized , does it mean just plant two tree next to each other? How do they pollinat each other by being just next to each other Or do I have to have a ton of bees? Sorry I’m so new at these.

Thank you

jolina

• Jolina C

Hi Carla,

i went back looked at chocolate and coffee cake again, chocolate is out because it is astringent. Coffee cake , I will wait to see your answers first on my Confusions.

Thank you

Jolina AZ

• sautesmom Sacramento

Pollinization works when a same type of tree is near enough to another so that bees and others can visit both trees' flowers on the same trip, when both are flowering at the same time. Most say "close enough" is on your street/ in your neighborhood.
    All peaches (except for a couple of oddballs) don't need another, they are self-fertile.
    Persimmons can actually make fruit without a pollen partner too, just not as much will set. And with Coffeecake, you might not want it pollenized, because they make a lot of seeds. But the seeds make them tastier, so it's a good news/bad news thing. Coffeecake is a very yummy variety, I had one for a few years in a pot.
    Carla in Sac

Jolina C thanked sautesmom Sacramento
  • Jolina C

Hi Carla,

Thank you for your quick reply. Really appreciate it.

Since you have coffee cake experience I’m gonna take advantage of that haha So ok, on the coffee cake

1. It can fruit without pollen partner, will the fruit be astringent without being pollenized? Or can I still eat it while it’s firm like An apple? Will it have seeds? Will it be delicious ?

So it also Sets less fruit, how much less? Like 100-200 fruit?

2. Can my iche pollenized coffee cake? If it can, will it just be coffee cake have seeds or will it make them both have seeds in fruit?

Thank you Carla in advance

Jolina AZ