katyajini

Roses and afternoon sun

katyajini
September 4, 2019

Does this really not work? Or it is not that bad, just a little stressful and if well watered the roses will do fine?

I dont have that much sun in my yard. I do have some sunny areas where some places are full sun, some are morning sun, some are morning sun with more afternoon sun and some with only afternoon sun. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of space with afternoon sun only. I cant imagine letting all that space go and not plant roses there.

Are there roses that can take take afternoon sun better than others? Is there something special one can do to help roses stressed from afternoon sun?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Katya, in your area afternoon sun is probably great and especially if it is all you've got. In extremely hot and dry areas like LV, Arizona, and Southern California it could be too much. I bet you could use all that space.

katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • bart_2015

My garden is on a south-western-facing slope,so it gets hit by the horribly intense sun of Tuscany mainly in the afternoon. It's not ideal, but my roses do pretty well anyway-and mind you, since I have no running water out there they only get watered by me in their first year in the garden; afterwards they have to rely on rain for irrigation, and it hardly rains at all during our overly long summers. So, go for it, Katya! You might find it helpful to shade very young plants a bit, and some less resiliant types may not be happy,but in general,it's quite do-able.

katyajini thanked bart_2015
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

I have areas where the roses get sun from afternoon until sundown, they bloom just fine. My only issue is disease resistance. I'm not sure where you are, but I have black spot pressure here. So I have found that a rose that is more susceptible to disease like black spot; should have sun on in it first thing in the morning to help dry off the leaves from moisture. It has helped me. I've also started to remove any that are really bad here. So now my morning shade roses are ones like Kordes or others with very healthy ratings.

I found this question to be rather remarkable. Roses are full sun plants........6-8 hours minimum for best flowering. Why wouldn't they take afternoon sun? I can understand them being stressed in a very hot and arid climate but in zone 6 NYC, I'd provide as much sun as I could possibly manage!!

• roseseek

That's pretty much it...location, location, location. At higher latitudes and in colder climates, your roses will be "full sun plants" and perform better with more sun. The closer you get to the Equator and the hotter the climate you wish for them to endure, the less "full sun" they are going to be ABLE to endure. Add any hardscape and you decrease the amount of "full sun" any plant is going to be comfortable in due to the reflected and radiated heat that hardscape provides. That shouldn't be such a surprise as it often appears to be to so many. The British have grown plants far too tender for their climates for generations by planting them against warm walls. The reflected-radiated heat prevented the plants from freezing so they could, at least, be grown. People in the chillier SoCal beach areas use that "technology" to provide the heat necessary to make their oranges, tomatoes, strawberries and other fruit sweet (sugar demands heat to form) and to coax their plumeria into flower in their colder breezes. What I have often suggested is for YOU to stand where you wish to plant something, when it's at the hottest and see how long it's comfortable for you. If it gets too hot for you to remain comfortable, don't act surprised when the flowers on your rose fry and the new growth burns.

katyajini thanked roseseek
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Growing in a similar zone, I say go for it!!! I have one bed that's mainly Western exposure where I grow Ballerina, Bordeaux and New Dawn. They get dappled morning sun until the late am to pm (depending on the month) where they do great. However, ND and Bordeaux do really well with BS. Ballerina is iffy later in the season as I don't spray in general.

katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • joeywyomingz4b

I had a garden in Colorado (zone 4b) that had dappled sun all day but never got any direct sunlight. Mandarin Sunblaze Rose bloomed nonstop every summer and never showed a sign of disease. If I were to put in another more shaded garden I would definitely put that rose in there. On the other side of the path Iceberg got maybe two hours of direct sun and the rest of the day was dappled shade and it also bloomed near-continuously.

katyajini thanked joeywyomingz4b
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

@gardengal - a lot of rose blooms fry very quickly in afternoon sun, even here in zone 4-5, with adequate amounts of water. So that can be a problem for certain types of roses. Obviously, the more sun my roses get helps it's blooming ability. But thats all for naught if every single bloom shrivels up in less than 8 hours in extreme heat waves.

katyajini thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

HalloBlondie, that is most definitely not the case here!! I have yet to see any rose shrivel up in full sun, even strong afternoon sun. And this is a recurring summer drought area! And that includes roses planted in two very large, full sun display/exhibition or test gardens locally.

To be perfectly honest, I am often amazed at the lengths folks on this forum go to coddle their roses. It is all so unnecessary as these are tough, hardy plants and do not require any more fussing than any other flowering shrub.

• jerijen

" . . . Roses are full sun plants........6-8 hours minimum for best flowering. Why wouldn't they take afternoon sun? . . . "

*** You would understand why if you lived in an area experiencing months of drought and afternoon temperatures in a dry 100 deg. with a strong desert wind.

In such areas, the canny rosarian makes shadecloth shelters for her roses -- or plants something that will grow to shade them.

The key term for roses is: "LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION."

The way you grow roses varies with the conditions where you are growing them. If you attempted to grow roses in Palm Springs the way you grow them in the PNW, you would fail.

katyajini thanked jerijen
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Gardengal, we can coddle the plants because we love them, not because they require it. To each his own. I'm having fun hauling watering cans of fish fertilizer water/alfalfa pellets.

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

Well if I were to move, I would consider the pnw for a lovely median garden zone. I said that on another thread the other day here. It seems to be ideal for so many gardening reasons. However, I live in an area of extreme four seasons. So I have to do a lot of research as to what will survive extreme winters, terrible freeze thaws in the spring. Then when the temperatures change for summer - it's just hot with a humidex of 95%. So we have to contend with lot's of black spot pressure. Many roses look terrible when they are half naked with manky spotted leaves. Or blooms suffering from botrytist from the extra moisture in the air. Or heat damaged by extreme sun. Then come the japanese beetles mid summer to feast in the garden. And by fall the cool nights and sunny days are a breeding ground for powdery mildew problems. But I do not coddle them - it's survival of the fittest. And even with many weather issues here; there are a lot of plants and roses that do well. But I really do try to follow the theory of right plant for the right
    place. And I try and give every plant what it needs to thrive, because I want everything to look as great as possible for my enjoyment.

• roseseek

As long as the foliage isn't burned off and the wood isn't sun scalded, the plant should be fine. I completely understand the desire to get to enjoy the flowers, as that IS the reason we grow them in the first place. But, expecting the petals to endure blazing sun and awful heat or too much moisture and too cool temps is silly. Petals exist to attract pollinators. Flowering is ovulation and hip set is pregnancy. The prime directive of most of Creation is to reproduce before dying. Flowers are the plant's "come hither" effort and to expect those delicate, sensitive tissues to endure extremes of any kind and remain attractive to our senses is naive.

katyajini thanked roseseek
  • katyajini

Everybody thank you for such useful input!!!

Sheila of course you said what is most pertinent. Its the heat thats the real problem. I dont know why i did not think of it in those words. And yes this far north its probably not that big a problem. Thanks for setting that straight and I can continue on to plan my garden!

Bart, Sheila was mentioning you in another thread and here you are. Thank you for the encouragement. I have to tell you I live no where as romantic as where you are living but you and I have the exact same exposure! My house is built on a rock, as many houses near manhattan are. My property has a steep incline (your hill) , some of the morning sun is shaded by tall trees and then blazing sun from the southwest. But I do have plenty of water though. I do hope to find pictures of your garden here somewhere!

Blondie, thanks for the tip why morning sun is so important for BS. I will keep that in mind as I plan out which goes where.

Thanks again Vap. yes I think its going to be fine. And thanks for those recommendations. More and more I find people growing roses in less than ideal sun and can still have pleasing growth.

Joey: Thank you too for your recommendations but mostly that even with such reduced sun you got great blooms.

roseseek: you are dream.

gardengal: I do appreciate your point in how absurd my question sounds...but I had heard so much about the afternoon sun not being good for roses that I had to ask!

Thanks so much