Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

Anyone Fly On JetBlue Into JFK? Question and Rant

I like Jetblue and take it into JFK several times a year . At terminal 5, not so long ago, it was simple to grab your bag, if needed, and head right out from baggage into the taxi line. NOW, however, its a long, long trip up, around and down to arrive there. On my most recent flight, I took my eyes off the directing arrows to look outside through the big glass doors where the taxi line used to be. There were lines of black sedans, primarily, along with a yellow cab. The driver waved to me. I asked the line supervisor, “that’s a yellow cab, right? He answered, frowning, “yeah, he’s not supposed to be there.”

I hopped into the cab and was told by the driver that “they’“ had taken that area from the cabs and “sold’ it to private companies like Uber. True? I dunno, but I do know what was once an easy stroll was turned into a ridiculous serpentine trip. No idea if his was the lone cab and I just got lucky, but I’ll be making the same trip soon and will looking out that door, for sure.

Hmmm, I wonder if its possible and quicker to leave from arrivals. Anyone experience this, or have any knowledge of how the change came about?

Comments (5)

• jojoco
    4 years ago

I know you didn’t ask this and I apologize if it’s of no interest to you, but would you consider taking Uber or Lyft? I never take cabs from the airport anymore as I find the other services to be cheaper and more comfortable. And the drivers are friendlier. If you haven’t used these services before, there really isn’t much of a learning curve. It’s easy to figure out and you never wait more than a few minutes for your car at the airport.

To answer your actual question, if you don’t have to collect baggage, I don’t see why you couldn’t leave from arrivals.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Yes, all the time and as recently as end July. I've not noticed what you are mentioning but then again I either take Uber, or if it is all of us and copious amount of luggage, a car service. Why wait in line when you can call an Uber as soon as you set foot off the plane?

Uber drivers congregate in designated areas just off the terminal, and then they have designated areas where they can pull up. The practical reality is that more people take Ubers than taxis at JFK and so they are accommodating that.

PS The "spa" at T5 is a great place to kill time. We were stuck waiting for a BOS cnxn and spend a morning there. And we can't wait to stay at the spiffy PanAM hotel this March on our way to the keys. I love T5 and JetBlue.

As far as leaving from arrivals, it varies by airport.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mtn and Jo, thank you both for popping in on this mundane rant. I use Uber often in the city and to the airport, and from the airport as well. However, I‘m something of a rebel and this inconvenient move in favor of private cars tics me off.; I really feel sorry for the cabbies who’ve been making a living for years driving, and now are feeling the loss of business. As for the spa at T5, I’m off the plane and outa there with no time to kill. I’ll probably call Uber for my next flight...but, oooh, I do love beating the system , so it’s tempting to find a rebel cabbie in the Uber line. :>)

Its probably telling that my mother often told me not to “ cut off your nose to spite your face”. Wow! Now that’s an oldie!

• homeatlast
    4 years ago

I’ve gotten caught in that hour-long line for a yellow cab after schlepping quite a ways from the terminal (and I was only going to Queens, so a fairly short cab ride). Lately I’ve been using a car service, and the last time I called to say I’d landed, the driver advised me to meet him at departures because of the crowds picking up at arrivals. Worked like a charm, but I did feel like I had to work fast — the traffic managers there can be brutal.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

When I flew into LGA for our GW TGT in May, I used SuperShuttle ExecuCar service to meet me. Going back I just caught a cab. If I'm in an unfamiliar place, pressed for time, or DH or family are along, I will do a car service.