jeanwedding

got bunch of single applications fertilizer" packet on clearance chea

jeanwedding
September 8, 2019
last modified: September 8, 2019

all but one was for "Annuals and Perennials" by Jobes organics. just one "vegetable packet fertilizer"

Looks like only difference is "bone meal". but how much. ? I called the company but they were busy and left message. They never called back.

so how much y'all reckon I should add BONE MEAL "" to these packest as I put these in my container potted veggies?

Thanks all

• party_music50

This article explains using bonemeal for vegs.

If gardening in containers, skip the bone meal or any other organically derived fertilizers. These all require consumption and digestion by soil organisms to convert them into plant usable forms and they - the organisms - simply do not exist in a potting soil 'soilless mix' in populations adequate to achieve this efficiently.

For any container gardening you are better off using a liquid or fully water soluble synthetic fertilizer.

For inground gardening, go for it. To determine how much bone meal you need - if any - you would need to know the NPK of the fertilizers you are applying and what your soil requires. Most soils do not require much P (the primary impact of bone meal) as it is not very mobile and usually present in adequate concentrations.

And it's getting a bit late in the season to do any fertilizing now..........

• daninthedirt (USDA 8a, HZ10, Cent TX, Sunset z30)

I'm not sure bone meal requires digestion by soil organisms. It mainly supplies phosphorus (especially in acidic soil) and, to some extent, calcium. Those are minerals, and should come directly from the fertilizer. That being said, as noted, most soils simply don't need phosphorous to be added, especially container mixes. If you were looking at an in-ground bed, I'd sure want to get a soil test before loading on the bone meal. Too much phosphorus is a good way to prevent uptake of iron and zinc by plants.

ALL organically derived dry fertilizers require digestion by soil organisms as they are not water soluble. It the digestive activities that convert the organics into a soluble form. And plants are only able to take up necessary nutrients in the form of soluble salts. Blood and bone meal come closer to being soluble than most other organics but are not fully so and still require the administrations of soil biology to become fully available to the plants.

I think we agree that organic processes can turn bone meal into soluble phosphates, but other chemical routes can be active as well. In acid soil, bone meal gradually degrades into phosphates and carbonates. Acidic blood can damage bone in this way, in a process called acidosis. In fact, just heating bone meal in water will make what is called "liquid bone meal", which is mostly soluble phosphates. One company is burning bone meal, and using the ash for fertilizer. That ash has a high fraction of phosphates.