swainlfell

Need help with flooring color and style

swainlfell
5 days ago
last modified: 5 days ago

Help! Due to water damage, we are replacing all of our downstairs red oak hardwoods. Entry foyer, dining room, living room, hallways, office. The contractor and insurance company want us to select prefinished engineered hardwoods. The original floors are engineered site-finished and stained a golden color. i Can choose any color and style for the flooring, but the stair treads and posts are not being replaced. I can restain the stairs, as they are solid red oak. I want light flooring of some type, preferably 5 - 7 inches in width. The home is basically traditional. I have brought home lots of samples and nothing seems to work with the stairs. The stairs are a focal point as one enters the house and can be seen all through the downstairs of this mostly open-concept house. I like hickory (hardness and grain)and white oak the best, but can’t find something that makes the total design appear ‘planned’ and not just mix-matched. Should I settle for red oak? What can I combine, if anything? I like warm, lighter floor colors - no dark, gray or greige. Thanks for suggestions And help!

Comments (2)

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268