david_potter2883875

Best way to attach patio roof to my house?

David Potter

Hello!

I've watched about a billion different youtube videos, Googled my heart out, and read a lot of different posts/articles about attaching a porch cover to my house, but I'd like some opinions from other diy'ers and professionals specific to my house. I have several options, and I'd like to make the right decision. I have attached photos below.
Option 1: Install ledger board below the roof overhang, asphalt shingle roof, 12-2 or 12-3 pitch
Option 2: Install ledger board directly to roof overhang, asphalt shingle roof, continue the 12-4 pitch from existing roof
Option 3: Remove fascia, attach patio structure directly to rafters, similar to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLjirmGKCeY&t

My slab was poured last year, standard 4" slab. Unfortunately I had to work the day they poured, and I got conflicting answers from my landscaping owner, and a couple of the workers, whether or not they installed footings, and/or rebar in the slab. Long story short, I'm guessing with a cover this large I'll want to install proper footings just outside the slab, instead of attaching posts directly to the slab.

Measurements:
The slab is 11'x34', and I'd like to cover the entire slab, so the cover would be about 12'x34'.
I have just under 12' from the slab to the bottom of the overhang, so I have plenty of height for any of the above options, as far as I can tell.

I should also mention that this is in the Denver area, so the cover will need to handle some snow load.

Thanks in advance!