anthony_cuccia92

Contractor Measurement Mistake

A Cuccia
September 10, 2019
last modified: September 10, 2019

I am having an addition put on to my house, and I'm not sure how picky to be with my contractor. This is my first house and my first construction project, and I don't know much about construction. The plans for the addition include a bathroom, and the plans have an inside measurement of 60" for the bathroom width (10' long). The framing just finished, and I thought the bathroom looked a little small, so I measured it, and indeed it is a little short. Without the drywall (from stud to stud), it is maybe 59.5". Then with the drywall on both sides I assume it will be another inch or so shorter. So probably 58" total when done. I already felt like 60" was not that wide for a bathroom (it will be the master bathroom), and I think 58" will feel noticeably small.

My assumption was that these things would be spot on, and if the plans say 60", it will be 60". 2 inches short seems like more than an acceptable mistake. Like I said, I don't know much about construction, but it seems like the contractor will probably push back against having the framers move that wall back a couple of inches (it looks pretty structural to me).

Should I insist they correct it? Or is this kind of thing just how it goes with construction?