terirwin

Benjamin Moore paint for shutters and front door HELP!

terirwin

In the past a Benjamin Moore specialist advised me on a paint color and it was PERFECT! THANKS!!! I'm hoping to have the same luck. I have already purchased my paint but I'm trying to pick a color for my shutters and front door. I'm not a fan of anything in the orange family. I'm thinking I may have to go to black shutters but I'm unsure of a nice pop of color for the front door. Any advice for shutters and front door paint color would be SO appreciated. This picture has the old color on The shutters and door

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Ben Moore Heritage Red is a pretty bright red--I used it on my front door many years ago. It would work well with your brick and black shutters.

• terirwin

Diana Bier, you so much for your suggestion! Would any shade of blue, that would “pop”, work with my brick? It must be a Benjamin Moore paint. TYIA

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

As much as I love blue, I don't think it would work well with your brick. I'd rather see a more earthy color--mustard yellow, burnt orange or olive green, if you don't like red.

• graywings123

But if she doesn't want those colors . . .

Any chance a pale blue-violet would work here? Playing off the peachy brick?

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Do a Google search for "blue door red brick house" and look at the images. I did just that and lots of image showed up. If you find one you like, then bring it to the paint store and ask them to match it.

• terirwin

Thanks again for replying, very interesting! I thought the BM color Dark Olive 2140-30 for the shutters with possibly BM Cottage Red for the door would work well but a neighbor, with seemingly wonderful taste, thought the dark olive didn’t work. She suggested a color similar to BM Jamestown Blue HC-148 for the door with black shutters. Honestly, she suggested that blue knowing I like blue but she did think it was a good choice. So, I changed to the safe choice of black for the shutters and was looking for a “pop” door color. I have googled and looked on this sight for ideas but I wouldn’t call my brick red. I wish! Do you have another color choice for my brick variation? Also, when painting the doorway, would painting the entire wooden frame area, along with the door, the same “pop” color, work or would it be preferable to paint only the door the “pop” color? The door is behind a glass storm door that has a lot of glare and the door color is obscured. I REALLY appreciate your time spent helping me!

• lynartist

I think a very dark green would look very nice on your shutters with a red door. It’s hard to see but it appears you have a glass storm door so that does diminish the look quite a bit especially if you leave that white! With the color of your brick, siding and window trim I also think a dark charcoal gray for the shutters with a yellow door would be very nice.

Flo Mangan

Can you post photos from further back so we can see whole house?

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

I think lynartist's colors are great examples of more earthy colors that would work on your house!

As for the trim around the door, from what I can see, you might want to consider painting all of it the same color of the door. The problem is the storm door being white--can you paint that too?

The other alternative is to paint the brick.

I would like to see the whole house right now the shutters are not the right size in fact the wide windows should not have shutters at all and the others are too small.

• terirwin

Thanks everyone for your opinion!!! My husband removed the old shutters and is waiting for me to pick a color and then he will paint them. The storm door is actually a cream color. It is similar to the siding but a little more yellow. It is enamel and my husband feels it would be very difficult to paint and there is no way to undue it if doesn’t take the paint. So, it will have to stay. The window frames are faded metal but they, too, will have to remain as is. Also, painting the brick is not possible. We didn’t build this old house and I wouldn’t choose any of the current facade. In fact, we are empty nesters and considering selling this house and moving to a warmer climate. So, I’m extremely thankful for everyone’s help to make this old house attractive!! I took this picture today but the colors aren’t as definitive as I would want. The first posting demonstrates the colors a bit clearer. We are going to have the roof cleaned (yes it is possible and it works) and also the siding. As soon as they finish cleaning next week my husband wants to put the shutters up. We are going to Croatia in three weeks and want all of this completed. Thanks again SO MUCH!!!!

Novel Remodeling

I noticed my neighbor paint his shutters red, with accent color dark gray. It looked so nice, we might even paint our own properties this color. Grey/Red go well together. Also, if you want a nice pop, Royal blue/orangeyellowish color goes well too.

When hiring a general contractor, follow our guide. https://www.novelremodeling.com/blog/2019/2/8/home-repair-contractor-los-angeles-ca-hiring-the-right-one

• terirwin

For those who believe blue would work, these are the colors I was considering. The navy for the shutters and the red for the door. The blue is a dark true navy and I love it! I have leather recliners that are that color. But, sadly, I thought it doesn’t work as well with the brick as other colors would.

• chloebud

I would rethink putting shutters back on the lower windows. They're just too wide for shutters. Shutters are okay for the upper windows but should be wider. Whether decorative or functional, each shutter should be half the window's width. You can see the problem there with the larger windows.

Flo Mangan

If you are contemplating selling in the near future your best bet is neutral colors. Black for shutters. White trim. It will photograph better for Internet listing and look fresh to potential buyers. Keep it simple. No shutters on bottom windows as mentioned above.

• Bette P

Is your roof brown? Consider painting your garage door and upper shutters Sherwin Williams Urbane Bronze. Leave the lower shutters off, store them for now. If your front storm door is staying, look at something like SW Shoji White for your front door. Light colours attract attention, not a bad thing for your entrance. It is a coordinating colour to Urbane Bronze. If you take a photo further back, somebody might paint it in using the SW visualizer to show how it looks.

• lynartist

Just paint the door the same color as the storm door. It just won’t look good anyway with the frame and behind the glass! SW urban bronze as suggested by Bette is a good choice here as you aren’t painting the window frames. Here are a couple other choices. Forget the blue& red for this house; maybe for your next one! Try to convince hubby to leave the shutters off the bottom windows; I think you can see how much better it looks already!