Help with bathroom paint color!?

Robyn
September 20, 2019

Here are some pics of our bathroom remodel in progress. it is still a disaster zone. Planning to do a medium dark wood floor and paint cabinets either grey or white ( oak now). ( what do you think, grey or white cabinets?) The fan and light fixtures will be replaced as well, but right now I need help picking a paint color !? The tiles have white , grey, and browns. The granite adds some black into it as well. Thanks for any input !!!

Design Interior South

White. Keep it as simple as possible. All the other finishes you have put in thus far are busy so the less you do in terms of color to your cabinets the better. Also when you say wood floor do you mean wood? If you would like wood in the bathroom I would recommend doing a luxury vinyl. Wood and water don't mix, period.

BeverlyFLADeziner

You've given careful consideration to putting wood in this bathroom?

The fan needs to be replaced with a light fixture. No Ceiling fan.

need help with bathroom paint color/trim

You could paint the walls a darker grey, but you could also introduce some color with a deep red or a mustard yellow. Look for floor tiles in porcelain, a grey would look good. Another option would be porcelain tiles that look like a wood grain in brown. Another flooring idea would be 18' x 18" square slate in a variety of warm tones. The photos are not exactly what you want but they are nice examples of white cabinets in a bathroom.

HELP with bathroom paint colors

It is looking good. you need a tinted white in there. white tinted with grey. but a grey not a greige. basically a color in the veins of the carrara marble. then wainscoting needs an upper trim.

Need Help With Bathroom Paint Color

Thank you for the inspirational pictures! I especially like the clean lines in the second picture. I was on the fence about changing the wall color except for the fact that the room is a little dark. I tried changing the shower curtain but couldn't find a pattern with green that I liked. Husband doesn't think it' worth the trouble to paint a lighter green. I like BM Guilford Green but then I'll have to find another shower curtain. These days, it's all grays and blues out there. Wall hangings will help unify the room but I was waiting to see if I'm repainting or not. Still thinking it all over. Thank you....

Help with bathroom paint colour!

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I've posted two slightly bigger pictures. I have a small section painted with Colonnade Grey already and it does have some nice warmth to it. It just seems too dark for the space. Grant Beige is nice too. I haven't explored the beige section all that thoroughly yet. I'll take a look. Re: the Palladian Blue. We were going to go with a blue/green grey for the bedroom so I was aiming for some contrast in the bathroom, but I'll look at that one too. So far I've been surprised at how dark paints look on the wall compared to the chip. I've heard people on DIY blogs talk about mixing paint at 75% or 50% strength. Does it actually work or do I risk ruining the colour? Am I better to go one tone lighter on the same paint chip instead?
  • Robyn

When I said wood I meant wood color , thinking about the Shaw repel laminate floor. Haven’t picked a color for sure have this in hand

• Robyn

Beverly- I like that grey, I was worried with all the grey tones that grey paint on the walls would be too much, but maybe not. The ceiling fan was already there and I thought bathrooms get hot and humid , could be nice... there is a large glass door enclosure for the shower ordered as well with oil rubbed bronze metal.

BeverlyFLADeziner

The quality of the light from a ceiling fan light will ruin all your hard work. You don't need to move the air around, you need to exhaust the humidity. Be careful with the laminate. I don't think any of them are warranted against any standing water. You have to read the fine print.

• Tammy O'Connor

I would suggest a very very very light gray that borders on white.

• cat_ky

I wouldnt use laminate flooring in a bathroom. Best to use either a ceramic etc tile, or the waterproof vinyl planks, that look like wood.

• Robyn

Beverly do you mean the ceiling fan will be too harsh lighting ? I’m not opposed to not having the ceiling fan just thought it could be nice but I’m not sure I would really use it much either ( new house we haven’t been here long at all ). I have never had a ceiling fan in the bathroom but I have never had a bathroom this big either. It is bigger than the pics show. The double vanity across from shower is 9 ft long and the master closets are on each side of it.

My dilemma with the flooring is I don’t want to tear out the tile. Vinyl plank will telegraph , laminate you can lay over...I also prefer the look of laminate over vinyl plank . The flooring place told me that even vinyl plank isn’t waterproof from water that comes from underneath so I was thinking if this can withstand water from the top just from getting out of shower , etc. then it shouldn’t be much different. Have not read the warranty yet at all def will do !

I had thought about blue for the walls , Do you think a shade of blue would be a good consideration for the walls ? I’m liking the grey you posted as well.

• North Texan

If it wasn’t for the floor tile, I‘d say SW 6253 Olympus White, with an accent wall of SW 7624 Slate Tile around the glass brick.. With the greys, it’ll read blue...so it won’t work with the tile. If you go with a white or light grey floor, it’ll fly.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6253-olympus-white#/6253/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7624-slate-tile#/7624/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

• Robyn

North Texan plan is to go with a medium dark wood color floor either water resistant laminate or vinyl plank. I never thought about doing an accent wall. Thanks for your input.

BeverlyFLADeziner

i can"t see blue on the walls in this room unless you use it in the wall decor. i understand about the laminate but you will have to be very careful there is no standing water to migrate between the planks.

• salonva

Revere Pewter seems like a win to me.

• megs1030

Love Revere Pewter!

• Robyn

The ceiling in this room is an off white kind of reminds me of Manila paper lol. Should I paint it plain white if I do the walls the revere pewter

• Tammy O'Connor

I would definitely paint the ceilings a brighter white!

• Robyn

What do you think of this light fixture for above the sinks? It comes in two different sizes. The sinks are on the very ends so the 4 light size wouldn't be centered exactly over the sinks. Thoughts? They also have some matching fixtures I could explore to replace the fan but they seem kind of dining roomy. Here is one of them.

• njmomma

following

• Tammy O'Connor

I like those light fixtures! Do you have a photo that shows the sinks/vanity?

I also just reread the original post, and my vote for vanity color would be a dark gray to make it feel grounded.

• Robyn

Tammy I am between gray and white. The flooring will be that dark brown and I was concerned with the dark grey next to the floor? I will get pics of the vanity tonight ! Thanks for your help!

• Robyn

I just found this one please excuse the mess!!

• Robyn

I have also thought about doing something like this in the vanity seat spot

• Tammy O'Connor

Thank for the photo! I actually think with everything else you've got going on in the bathroom that gray would help ground the vanity and not fight with other elements. Maybe you could get a darker tint of whatever you put on the walls?

• Robyn

Good idea. Will take pics when walls are painted!

• Robyn

Just realized we don’t have Benjamin Moore paint in my small town. Any suggestions of a Sherwin Williams color that will look good in my bathroom ?

• North Texan

The SW store can match the BM paint color, either custom or if they have an identical product, just ask.

• Robyn

Hello all! Here are some updates pics now that the walls have been painted. We did go with the suggested color , revere pewter, and we really like it. After seeing the lighting in person we switched it up and I love the new light ! Now that the walls are painted I wanted to get your thoughts on the cabinet color and floor color. I am thinking white cabinets and medium toned wood look flooring with grey tones but not too grey. I am open to suggestions. Thanks again for your help!

• Robyn

For the Cabinets, either white or maybe the wall color with more pigment in it? The floor would be medium with grey tones ( I think) I don't have anything picked out yet.. but want to more forward with the cabinets.

I’m just wondering why you want a wood look flooring in your bathroom. What you’ve done thus far looks really nice. I’m worried that wood-look flooring will introduce a competing and busy element, not a calm, complementary one. You might want to consider a neutral porcelain tile, maybe in a greige tone, and with very little movement if any at all. Paint colors come in a bazillion options. It might be best if you settle on your flooring choice first, and then choose your vanity paint color. It’s easier to match paint to tile than it is to match tile to paint. IMO, flooring and vanity paint should be installed before finalizing wall paint because it’s just easier that way. I’m not trying to be a Debbie downer; I think what you’ve done so far looks really great. Good luck!

• njmomma

Not a Pro.

I think a slate look tile for flooring would look great with the rest of the tile that is there.

Some thing like this tile below. Inspiration:

Claremont · More Info

• Robyn

I just thought a wood look would warm it up a little. The reason the floor is last is so no deglosser or paint would get on it from redoing the cabinets. I could have picked it out, but I thought I had pretty much decided on a warm wood look. I didn’t really consider anything else because I prefer wood looks for floors and was wanting to do a luxury vinyl plank layover instead of tile tear out lol. After it was all done I then realized it should at least have grey tones in it. But like I said I am open to ideas.

• njmomma

Not a Pro.

Take your time.

Since your going Luxury vinyl you have time to pick and choose.

Look at all the colors they have to offer.

Luxury vinyl flooring also comes in a large tile look and lots of colors.

I believe this is luxury vinyl....take a look

Inspiration for luxury vinyl in bathroom:

Custom Amtico Flooring Umbra Eclipse · More Info

• Robyn

Great idea, going to order carpet now, will take a quick look while there !

• Robyn

They were closed still for holiday, will have to check Monday.

• Robyn

Checked Home Depot and found three possible options but one I forgot to take pic of. It was the pergo brand with a little more beige mixed in. More movement though. They didn’t have any thick enough to do a layover that didn’t look like wood.

• Robyn

I went and got a wide variety of flooring samples. I like two of them and my hubby likes a third different one, lol. Please help. Are any of these good ? If not please advise and will bring more. They did not have many tile look ones that weren’t super patterned.

• Robyn

I kind of like the dark wood one by the shower, is it too dark ? I like That it doesn’t have a lot of pattern in it to take away from the rest of the room...

• abbycat9990

Dark, for the contrast. I like the one near the tub.

• mxk3

Another vote for dark. I like the two dark choices abutting the tub.

• Robyn

The one that is against the tub and wall is three pieces of the same flooring, I am thinking it is a little too busy for the room with the variations it has. The one near the tub faucet is a dark charcoal almost chalky black look, I like it -but am not sold on it over my fav which is the dark brown wood look near the shower. I think I’m the only one that likes that one though. I don’t want to do anything thinking it will look good and then it looks really bad when it’s all done lol. I can also get more samples , any input as to what to bring home next ?

Beth H. :

I like that solid light gray one, vertical near the tub.

if you could find a similar solid that's a tad lighter gray, it think it would be perfect. I also like the solid darker one next to it.

All of the others are way too busy. you have so many patterns and veining movement w/your tile and granite, I think its important to do a solid floor.

I'd also do the vanity in a nice, neutral white or the palest gray. (DunnEdwards Vapor is a super light gray/white) You'd have to bring home a sample.

otherwise, Pure White for the vanity is fine.

can you do some glass shelves on the wall by the tub and bring in some plants? or maybe hang one from the ceiling by the window? some green life would soften all of the gray/dark tones in there. It's looking good though. I like the new light.

or if you still want some wood, try some wood shelves.

• Robyn

Beth thanks for your suggestions. I definitely love the idea of adding greenery and will do that for sure! I like the idea of the hanging plant too and will start looking for something.

Matching the grey has proven difficult. I like the darker solid one but just afraid it is going to feel cold and sterile, I don’t know why. I’ll try to edit an image with that repeating on the floor and see what I think, if I can do a decent job I’ll post it. The room really doesn’t feel too patterny/ busy in person, to me anyway, but I can see how adding another element with too much movement would be too much.

For the cabinet I have recently discovered all the trim pieces and doors in the house are alabaster, would it be ok to do that on the cabinet so it matches them ? If u find the pic with the closet door and trim in it posted in this thread it shows it looks pretty white in the room..

• mxk3

Oh man -- methinks it definitely time for new glasses! When I originally commented yesterday I thought that one piece by the tub was three different pieces of tile pushed up next to each other - ACK! So, no - definitely not that one, too busy. But I do think you need some contrast and a darker option is better.

• Robyn

Thanks, I do wish that one you are talking about was one style as well. I definitely want darker for contrast.