Help with bathroom paint color!?

Robyn
September 20, 2019

Here are some pics of our bathroom remodel in progress. it is still a disaster zone. Planning to do a medium dark wood floor and paint cabinets either grey or white ( oak now). ( what do you think, grey or white cabinets?) The fan and light fixtures will be replaced as well, but right now I need help picking a paint color !? The tiles have white , grey, and browns. The granite adds some black into it as well. Thanks for any input !!!

• Tammy O'Connor

I would suggest a very very very light gray that borders on white.

• cat_ky

I wouldnt use laminate flooring in a bathroom. Best to use either a ceramic etc tile, or the waterproof vinyl planks, that look like wood.

• Robyn

Beverly do you mean the ceiling fan will be too harsh lighting ? I’m not opposed to not having the ceiling fan just thought it could be nice but I’m not sure I would really use it much either ( new house we haven’t been here long at all ). I have never had a ceiling fan in the bathroom but I have never had a bathroom this big either. It is bigger than the pics show. The double vanity across from shower is 9 ft long and the master closets are on each side of it.

My dilemma with the flooring is I don’t want to tear out the tile. Vinyl plank will telegraph , laminate you can lay over...I also prefer the look of laminate over vinyl plank . The flooring place told me that even vinyl plank isn’t waterproof from water that comes from underneath so I was thinking if this can withstand water from the top just from getting out of shower , etc. then it shouldn’t be much different. Have not read the warranty yet at all def will do !

I had thought about blue for the walls , Do you think a shade of blue would be a good consideration for the walls ? I’m liking the grey you posted as well.

• North Texan

If it wasn’t for the floor tile, I‘d say SW 6253 Olympus White, with an accent wall of SW 7624 Slate Tile around the glass brick.. With the greys, it’ll read blue...so it won’t work with the tile. If you go with a white or light grey floor, it’ll fly.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6253-olympus-white#/6253/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7624-slate-tile#/7624/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

• Robyn

North Texan plan is to go with a medium dark wood color floor either water resistant laminate or vinyl plank. I never thought about doing an accent wall. Thanks for your input.

BeverlyFLADeziner

i can"t see blue on the walls in this room unless you use it in the wall decor. i understand about the laminate but you will have to be very careful there is no standing water to migrate between the planks.

• salonva

Revere Pewter seems like a win to me.

• megs1030

Love Revere Pewter!

• Robyn

The ceiling in this room is an off white kind of reminds me of Manila paper lol. Should I paint it plain white if I do the walls the revere pewter

• Tammy O'Connor

I would definitely paint the ceilings a brighter white!

• Robyn

What do you think of this light fixture for above the sinks? It comes in two different sizes. The sinks are on the very ends so the 4 light size wouldn't be centered exactly over the sinks. Thoughts? They also have some matching fixtures I could explore to replace the fan but they seem kind of dining roomy. Here is one of them.

• njmomma

following

• Tammy O'Connor

I like those light fixtures! Do you have a photo that shows the sinks/vanity?

I also just reread the original post, and my vote for vanity color would be a dark gray to make it feel grounded.

• Robyn

Tammy I am between gray and white. The flooring will be that dark brown and I was concerned with the dark grey next to the floor? I will get pics of the vanity tonight ! Thanks for your help!

• Robyn

I just found this one please excuse the mess!!

• Robyn

I have also thought about doing something like this in the vanity seat spot

• Tammy O'Connor

Thank for the photo! I actually think with everything else you've got going on in the bathroom that gray would help ground the vanity and not fight with other elements. Maybe you could get a darker tint of whatever you put on the walls?

• Robyn

Good idea. Will take pics when walls are painted!

• Robyn

Just realized we don’t have Benjamin Moore paint in my small town. Any suggestions of a Sherwin Williams color that will look good in my bathroom ?

• North Texan

The SW store can match the BM paint color, either custom or if they have an identical product, just ask.

• Robyn

Hello all! Here are some updates pics now that the walls have been painted. We did go with the suggested color , revere pewter, and we really like it. After seeing the lighting in person we switched it up and I love the new light ! Now that the walls are painted I wanted to get your thoughts on the cabinet color and floor color. I am thinking white cabinets and medium toned wood look flooring with grey tones but not too grey. I am open to suggestions. Thanks again for your help!

• Robyn

For the Cabinets, either white or maybe the wall color with more pigment in it? The floor would be medium with grey tones ( I think) I don't have anything picked out yet.. but want to more forward with the cabinets.

I’m just wondering why you want a wood look flooring in your bathroom. What you’ve done thus far looks really nice. I’m worried that wood-look flooring will introduce a competing and busy element, not a calm, complementary one. You might want to consider a neutral porcelain tile, maybe in a greige tone, and with very little movement if any at all. Paint colors come in a bazillion options. It might be best if you settle on your flooring choice first, and then choose your vanity paint color. It’s easier to match paint to tile than it is to match tile to paint. IMO, flooring and vanity paint should be installed before finalizing wall paint because it’s just easier that way. I’m not trying to be a Debbie downer; I think what you’ve done so far looks really great. Good luck!

• njmomma

Not a Pro.

I think a slate look tile for flooring would look great with the rest of the tile that is there.

Some thing like this tile below. Inspiration:

Claremont · More Info

• Robyn

I just thought a wood look would warm it up a little. The reason the floor is last is so no deglosser or paint would get on it from redoing the cabinets. I could have picked it out, but I thought I had pretty much decided on a warm wood look. I didn’t really consider anything else because I prefer wood looks for floors and was wanting to do a luxury vinyl plank layover instead of tile tear out lol. After it was all done I then realized it should at least have grey tones in it. But like I said I am open to ideas.

• njmomma

Not a Pro.

Take your time.

Since your going Luxury vinyl you have time to pick and choose.

Look at all the colors they have to offer.

Luxury vinyl flooring also comes in a large tile look and lots of colors.

I believe this is luxury vinyl....take a look

Inspiration for luxury vinyl in bathroom:

Custom Amtico Flooring Umbra Eclipse · More Info

• Robyn

Great idea, going to order carpet now, will take a quick look while there !

• Robyn

They were closed still for holiday, will have to check Monday.

• Robyn

Checked Home Depot and found three possible options but one I forgot to take pic of. It was the pergo brand with a little more beige mixed in. More movement though. They didn’t have any thick enough to do a layover that didn’t look like wood.

• Robyn

I went and got a wide variety of flooring samples. I like two of them and my hubby likes a third different one, lol. Please help. Are any of these good ? If not please advise and will bring more. They did not have many tile look ones that weren’t super patterned.

• Robyn

I kind of like the dark wood one by the shower, is it too dark ? I like That it doesn’t have a lot of pattern in it to take away from the rest of the room...

• abbycat9990

Dark, for the contrast. I like the one near the tub.

• mxk3

Another vote for dark. I like the two dark choices abutting the tub.

• Robyn

The one that is against the tub and wall is three pieces of the same flooring, I am thinking it is a little too busy for the room with the variations it has. The one near the tub faucet is a dark charcoal almost chalky black look, I like it -but am not sold on it over my fav which is the dark brown wood look near the shower. I think I’m the only one that likes that one though. I don’t want to do anything thinking it will look good and then it looks really bad when it’s all done lol. I can also get more samples , any input as to what to bring home next ?

Beth H. :

I like that solid light gray one, vertical near the tub.

if you could find a similar solid that's a tad lighter gray, it think it would be perfect. I also like the solid darker one next to it.

All of the others are way too busy. you have so many patterns and veining movement w/your tile and granite, I think its important to do a solid floor.

I'd also do the vanity in a nice, neutral white or the palest gray. (DunnEdwards Vapor is a super light gray/white) You'd have to bring home a sample.

otherwise, Pure White for the vanity is fine.

can you do some glass shelves on the wall by the tub and bring in some plants? or maybe hang one from the ceiling by the window? some green life would soften all of the gray/dark tones in there. It's looking good though. I like the new light.

or if you still want some wood, try some wood shelves.

• Robyn

Beth thanks for your suggestions. I definitely love the idea of adding greenery and will do that for sure! I like the idea of the hanging plant too and will start looking for something.

Matching the grey has proven difficult. I like the darker solid one but just afraid it is going to feel cold and sterile, I don’t know why. I’ll try to edit an image with that repeating on the floor and see what I think, if I can do a decent job I’ll post it. The room really doesn’t feel too patterny/ busy in person, to me anyway, but I can see how adding another element with too much movement would be too much.

For the cabinet I have recently discovered all the trim pieces and doors in the house are alabaster, would it be ok to do that on the cabinet so it matches them ? If u find the pic with the closet door and trim in it posted in this thread it shows it looks pretty white in the room..

• mxk3

Oh man -- methinks it definitely time for new glasses! When I originally commented yesterday I thought that one piece by the tub was three different pieces of tile pushed up next to each other - ACK! So, no - definitely not that one, too busy. But I do think you need some contrast and a darker option is better.

• Robyn

Thanks, I do wish that one you are talking about was one style as well. I definitely want darker for contrast.

• oreet

You picked a lot of different patterns and textures for this bathroom, I wouldn’t add more, it’s time to add smooth contrast.
    I looked at your floor tile photos and think the rectangular dark brown tile next to the tub is the best one. I like the fact that it’s matt and smooth to the eye and It’s also a greyed down version of brown. I find many of the other browns, like the one next to the shower have a hint of red in it. That tile will add the contrast you need and will match the brown metal around the shower doors.
    I would choose white for the cabinet and white for the walls with a hint of grey in it. It’s hard to pick a wall color over the internet because the color does not read the same as in real life. White will be your friend in this room, like your tub it will be another fresh contrast.

• artdreamer

Dear Robin

I would make the floor in black-and-white parts. You can take tiles or, if prefer, you can buy it also in vinyl. I would make the wall in white color, because it makes your room larger. You can bring color in the bathroom with colored towels.

I wish you all the best

beautiful.... designed by artdreamer · More Info

• Robyn

Hey artdreamer and oreet , thanks for your suggestions. The wall is already painted in revere pewter , it shows in the new pics that have the flooring in them. That color was picked with the help of the people in this thread ! The tile by the tub is actually a dark grey and has some distressed pattern at the bottom of it. I plan to get some more samples of flooring when I get a chance, but So far I am still drawn the the dark wood look by the shower.

• M L

I would have a light blue color on the walls and a one piece white floor to balance out the warm colors and patterns in this room. This would make the room more spa like. Bathrooms look lovely with the color of water.

• M L

Breath of fresh air by Benjamin Moore is a pretty blue and Sherman Williams can reproduce it.

• M L

White floors laid down in one piece are quite lovely. I used it in a bathroom on and it was stunning. A fresh spa look is what you want in a bath with grey tile.

• M L

You could have a floor company install the floor. The paint on your wall should have a high reflective value.
    Most paint has a Light Reflective Value. A Light Reflectance Value (LRV), measures the total quantity of light reflected. White will have a high LRV of 100, and black will have a low LRV.

• Robyn

ML I wanted to do blue at first if you notice in the comments but was advised against it lol. The color on the wall now is revere pewter so the room has now been painted. I like it a lot. The blue may have made the tile pull more blue than I would want. I don’t know what you mean by one piece floor. Thanks for your suggestions

• M L

I would repaint the wall. You need a cool light blue dominant color in the bathroom. After all think ocean, spa, calm relaxing feel.
    Light and airy bathrooms look amazing.
    You have brown cabinets... warm.
    Tan walls...warm.
    Grey tile... neutral.
    You need a cool color.
    Think dominate, sub dominate
    And subordinate. When choosing colors.
    That’s what make rooms stunning.
    The blue wall will be dominate.
    The grey tile will be sub-dominate.
    And the floor will be subordinate if white in color.
    The brown cabinets will be accent color.
    The black shower railing will be accent color.

• Robyn

ML the walls are revere pewter kind of a greige in person but leans more light tan , yes. The cabinets will be alabaster white.

• Robyn

Still planning to get more samples but also repainting entire house now so haven’t made it up there yet. This is the one people keep suggesting on the left and the one I like more on the right.

• njmomma

Go with the one you like the most! I think it would work very nicely.

We are not there and on our computers may not show true to color.