Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sky1122

Hopefully this is a final design for our kitchen

sky1122
4 years ago

It has been a quit bit changes in the design. You guys are really helpful and I really appreciate all the comments I received. Without the comments I received from you guys, I will end up with a very nonfunctional kitchen. Is there any problem in this new design or is there anything I can do to make it better?

My KD suggested to switch the dishwasher and sink. But I think there are two reasons why keeping the way in the design is better. One is that the dishwasher has to block some cabinets no matter where I put it, then it is better to block the pots and pans drawers than the dish drawers considering most stuff that go into dishwasher are dishes vs. pots and pans. Another reason is that for right handed person, dishwasher is better at the left side of the sink.

BYW, KD did not put the counter top in the design. The counter will have 12 inch hang over on the left side of the peninsula.

We will have 45 inches from the left counter edge of the peninsula to the table we will put on the bathroom wall. There will be 49 inches from the bottom of the peninsula to the front of the wall oven.

I will copy the links below for my previous topics as reference if anybody runs into same situation as me, it might be helpful.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5777763/really-need-suggestions-regarding-kitchen-floor-plan-choice-a-or-b

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5783561/updated-kitchen-design

Comments (29)

• sky1122
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There is one way the dishwasher will not block any cabinets when open which is the design in the following pic, but we will lose the seating on the peninsula. I think having seating in the kitchen is worth to compromise the inconvenience of dishwasher and pot and pans drawers interference.

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

12 inches of "overhang" is woefully inadequate for comfortable seating. 18 inches or more is preferred.

• PRO
    Mark Eric Benner - Architects, Ltd.
    4 years ago

It appears from the plan that the range is positioned off-center with range hood. It may only be a couple of inches but it can be quite noticeable.

I agree that the counter overhang should be bigger than 12" if possible.

• salex
    4 years ago

I agree with your KD about switching the sink and DW. Otherwise your DW is directly between your sink and cooktop, which is the most convenient/efficient location for prep - so accessing the DW while you're prepping creates an obstacle. Also, "handedness" shouldn't matter - I'm right handed and am completely used to loading the DW to the right of my sink.

• sky1122
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@salex Thanks for the comments. When we prep, we usually do not use dishwasher, right? If switch dw and sink, the dw

will block the dish drawers on the peninsula when open. How could I deal with that?

• sky1122
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Mark Eric Benner - Architects, Ltd. My KD did not put a right size cooktop. I will have a 36 inch cooktop With a 36 inch cabinet.

• sky1122
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@chiflipper I tested one with 12 inch hang over at a showroom, it works fine for me. There is still some room in front of my leg. I am 5’4, not very short. ^_^

• Ig222
    4 years ago

When we prep, we usually do not use dishwasher, right?

True if you are the only person using the kitchen, but I can see the case where one person cook and the other loads/unloads the DW - a kid, for example, unloading to set the table ? It depends how you live.

for the record, I have had DW on the right for most of my life and have not been bothered by that.

There is no easy solution. But may be you could void the lazy susan and have two long stacks of drawers?

• sky1122
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Ig222 Which lazy susan are you referring to? I am using lazy Susan to avoid any filler considering filler is a waste of space.

• salex
    4 years ago

When we prep, we usually do not use dishwasher, right?

I usually open the DW multiple times, and sometimes leave it open, because I'm a clean-as-you-go prep cook. Often DH and I are working simultaneously and accessing the DW (e.g., one person cooking, one loading/unloading).

I agree that interference between DW and dish storage is a problem with no easy solution. One possibility could be rethinking where the dishes are stored (although since I don't know what goes in all your other cabinets, I won't comment on that). Another might be, as you mentioned, foregoing the seating so you can push the peninsula farther to the right and make your kitchen wider. However, I can't tell from the drawing why that would eliminate seating - is there a dining table on the other side of the peninsula?

• AnnKH
    4 years ago

Have you used an angled upper corner cabinet like the one you show? I had 2 of those in my old kitchen, and could not WAIT to get rid of them! They look like a lot of storage - and they do create a large space - but it is impossible to access anything that isn't right in the front. I put easy-reach uppers in my new kitchen, and they are worlds better.

I also had 12" upper cabinets, like you show next to the range hood. They were virtually useless - too small for larger items, but deeper than they are wide, so things get lost in the back. Perhaps a pull-out spice cabinet would work better in that location. Carefully consider what you will store where, to determine the configuration that makes the most sense for you.

I have a 30" sink base in my small kitchen - giving me 6" to use for more useful cabinets. In your case, instead of the lazy susan to the right of the sink, perhaps you could have a cabinet facing the seating side of the island (without a top drawer) for storing large items, and add a narrow base cabinet next to the sink for cutting boards and cookie sheets.

• damiarain
    4 years ago

I’m with the others re:accessing DW whole prepping. If you do switch DW and sink, you could unload the DW onto the peninsula, close the DW, then lit the dishes away on that lower cab.

For the uppers between the hood and hood and outer wall - maybe instead of the 12” cab and deep corner cab you could do a 36” cabinet that dies into the wall?

Also, given that there’s space constraints, thoughts on a 30” cooktop to give you back a few extra inches?

• sky1122
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@salex Yes. We will have a table by the bathroom wall. But having seating on peninsula gives us a deeper counter also. I will use the upper cabinet right to the window and the three drawers on peninsula to store my dishes. I do not see any other better place, do you?

• sky1122
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@AnnKH I am planning using a couple of lazy Susans in the upper corner cabinet to bring things from back to front. I will check the option for 12 inch upper pull out. Just those pull out eats so much space on the sides. We probably only get 5 or 6 inch usable space l with 12 inch pull out.

I am using a 36 inch sink base cabinet because I do not need to move pluming and I could put my trash bin underneath the sink.

• sky1122
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@damiarain We have a little bit soffit we can not remove because of all the pipes and electrical in it, so I want to use this corner cabinet to cover the soffit. Other than the corner cabinet, I could do easy reach cabinet, but I feel the corner cabinet with lazy Susan could work better than easy reach.

The corner cabinet looks like the following.

• Buehl
    4 years ago

In a Kitchen this small, I strongly recommend sticking with smaller appliances/fixtures. In particular, a 30" cooktop instead of 36" and a 30" sink base instead of 36".

• A 30" sink base allows for a sink that is 29" or so wide -- plenty wide enough for the vast majority of items. We have a 2-bowl sink and the larger bowl is 21" wide. The only thing does not fit is that sink is the 36" wide refrigerator shelf...and it wouldn't fit in a sink in a 36" sink base either. All my pots & pans and their handles fit, all my cookie sheets and roasting pans fit flat, my Vent-A-Hood insert fits, all my refrigerator shelves & bins (except the one noted above) fit, etc. Yours would be even wider by 7 or 8 inches.
    • A 30" cooktop allows 2 or 3 pots (including handles) on the cooking surface at one time -- it's rare that more is needed. If it's a glass top cooktop, you might be able to get away with 36" since you can use the surface for additional prep space, but I don't necessarily recommend it. Why? In my old Kitchen, I did just that -- I had only 24" b/w my sink and range. I made the mistake one time of turning on one of the burners while I had a cutting board still on the range and burned the cutting board!

Peninsula seating....the minimum recommended overhang for counter-height seating is 15" of clear leg/knee space, not 12".

I think I read you have a separate Dining Room behind the cooktop wall and that you don't use it often. Consider using it more often and eliminating the table space in your small Kitchen. You have limited space and you want THREE types of seating? Peninsula, table, and Dining Room table?

If you don't use the DR much, it means you have quite a bit of wasted square footage in your home -- why not start using it all? We did just that and it made a big difference for us b/c it freed up space for the Kitchen.

I saw the design CPArtist did in one of the earlier threads -- it was the best design I saw and much better than the one you have now. Is there a reason you didn't go with that design? It had far more workspace and workspace where it's needed most -- b/w the range/cooktop and sink (with no DW In the way).

• sky1122
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Buehl Is the following design the one you are referring to? Is this design is much better than my latest design?

In the following design, one of the concern I have is the distance between the bottom side of the peninsula and the cabinet across from it will be only 39" even with a 33" sink base. In my latest design, I leave 49" for that distance because that is the main traffic area and I want to make the walking from the kitchen to the dining table a little bit shorter.

In regarding to the 30" or 36" cooktop, The only difference is the 6" counter space. Do you think this 6" really makes a lot of difference to our working counter? Our counter top is much more than the minimum recommended counter space by NKBA.

As far as the sink base, if we use a 36" sink base, we could be able to utilize part of it to put a trash bin, so I can save a trash cabinet.

• sky1122
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nobody is seeing I could use peninsula as my primary prep space? It is the largest counter space I have in the whole kitchen. The down side is that it is a bit far from the cooking area.

• wilson853
    4 years ago

I haven't read your previous posts but thought that you might be able to glean some storage tips from this reveal if you haven't already seen it. Scrappy25 used a Kohler Stages sink with trash underneath. Note that she eliminated the seating at the peninsula.https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2817825/scrappy25-renovation-part-4-final-reveal-white-inset-soapstone

• salex
    4 years ago

You have more options than you might be aware of. I agree that CPartist's plan is more efficient but it provides prep space between the sink and stove, and because it moves the DW out of a congested storage area. It also looks less congested overall in the working part of your kitchen.

A 33" sink base - or even a 30" one - will hold a trash pullout. You might need to find a different pullout, but they exist. I have a combo trash/recycling pullout made by Rev-A-Shelf in a 15" cabinet (<14" opening).

• sky1122
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@wilson853 I checked scrappy25’s kitchen. She did not put the sink next to the dishwasher. In one of my previous version, I put the dishwasher on the peninsula to prevent it from Blocking any of the cabinets when open. But a lot of people say it is the best to put them Next to each other.

• wilson853
    4 years ago

I'd send her a message. She could give you her first-hand experience on the placement.

• sky1122
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@salex In my previous thread, a lot of people commented that I need more space between peninsula and the wall oven. So 39” clearance is big enough space?

• salex
    4 years ago

As suggested in a previous thread, if you shrink your sink you get extra aisle space in that plan.

• sky1122
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Buehl Thank you very much for drawing the layout. That is amazing. On the CPArtist's blueprint, some of the measurements are not up to date. One of them is between the slider and the bathroom wall is 43" because we moved the bathroom wall 24 inch to the right. I feel it is a little bit too far to put any cabinets on that wall. Another is the bottom wall between two doors is 151".

In your design, there are two concerns I have. First is the sink being on the peninsula may not provide a pleasant space to eat on the peninsula, especially when there is dirty dishes in the sink. Second is that we can not take advantage of the view from window when using the sink. I always think the best place for a sink is under the window. But I do like the long spacious prep area. In my design, I was thinking to use the peninsula as primary prep area since it is extra deep which makes it equivalent to the area in your design. I also like the idea using peninsula as dropping zone when getting things out of fridge and it is right by the sink.

Another situation is that we have already received our cabinets. For the cabinets I will not use in my next design, there is 15% restocking fee. I am trying to avoid it because of my KD's neglect, but I am not sure what the result will be. So it is the best to use as many as my current cabinets which are the ones in the design with an island,

• Hannah Jhonson
    4 years ago

Well, the design is really very beautiful.

• Buehl
    4 years ago

"First is the sink being on the peninsula may not provide a pleasant space to eat on the peninsula, especially when there is dirty dishes in the sink."

Normally, I would agree with you. However, given your limited space, compromises have to made. In this case a much better compromise is the sink on the peninsula since putting it directly under the window is dysfunctional.

To mitigate the location, note that the seating overhang is deeper than standard -- this is to put more space b/w the visitor and the sink & dishes. It could be even deeper, but I wouldn't go too much deeper as it then reduces the aisle to the doors behind the seats. That is potentially a busy traffic path, so you don't want it too narrow.

"Second is that we can not take advantage of the view from window when using the sink. I always think the best place for a sink is under the window. But I do like the long spacious prep area."

Actually, you are taking advantage of the window -- you spend far more time prepping than cleaning up, so it makes the most sense to put the prep counterspace in the most desirable space (assuming it works functionally / follows Kitchen workflow). Rinse/wash food (or hands) and move to prep counterspace for the majority of the work. Then slide over to the range without having to cross through other work zones or cross an aisle wider than 48" or so.

"In my design, I was thinking to use the peninsula as primary prep area since it is extra deep which makes it equivalent to the area in your design."

See above about a functionally located Prep Zone...b/w the range and sink or across an aisle no wider than 48" or so. Also, extra deep only goes so far, linear/horizontal space is more important.

"I also like the idea using peninsula as dropping zone when getting things out of fridge and it is right by the sink"

That's exactly what I gave you. Take out food from the refrigerator and place right next to the sink. Rinse/wash. Place on the left in the Prep Zone.

• Buehl
    4 years ago

"Another situation is that we have already received our cabinets. For the cabinets I will not use in my next design, there is 15% restocking fee."

If you don't want to really change anything since you have the cabinets, then I think you're stuck with what you have.

Since you were asking about making it better and suggesting changes, I think we all assumed you were still able to make overall design changes, I know I did. After all, you asked, "Is there any problem in this new design or is there anything I can do to make it better?"