Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faerygardener

I LOVE Halloween Swap FOTESS October

Ok, I love Halloween.

I prefer my Halloween decorations up most of the month. So sad to get them just a few days before and then take them down. So, I’ll post this swap early, ASSIGN PARTNERS EARLY and ask you to send your package early.

Thinking I’ll assign partners on the evening of the 2nd of October (Pacific time) - that’s ~a week for sign-ups. Then, if everyone could have their package mailed by the 9th - that’s a week with a weekend after you know who your partner is and you can be thinking about / planning your package now. Stragglers for mailing will be forgiven but the majority of folks should be able to have their gift decoration up for a few weeks.

1. A Card - homemade or purchased, your choice
  2. Seeds that self sow - The end of the month through November is when I sprinkle seed in the beds where it can sprout all on its own come spring. Send your partner 1 (or a few) packet of seed that they can just toss out and do nothing more until it’s time to enjoy them. Because - well, Halloween - Feel free to toss in Pumpkin or Gourd seeds if you know your partner would enjoy them.
  3. Halloween Decoration - Any, your choice - homemade or purchased, can be to wear, to display or use or to place in the garden.

FOTESS is Friends of the Earth SIMPLE Swap - so, I encourage you NOT to go overboard. Try for something you can pack in a padded envelope and not spend an arm and a leg on postage costs.

There will be games with points and optional participation and prizes. I’ll post those in another day. If you’re not part of this group already, please message Jeanne https://www.gardenweb.com/user/sandlapper-rose 

PLEASE - no sending plant material (cuttings, tubers, bulbs) in this swap. In order to stem the spread of various plant and tree diseases and invasive bugs, many states have made laws that un-inspected plant material not be sent there. Let’s all do no harm and do our part to protect the environment. I spend part of my time educating people about invasive species, so it is something I pay more attention to than most.

Seeds you can toss about on somewhat decent soil (if you have bark chip mulch, sprinkle UNDER the mulch, shove it aside and then put it back) include: Nigella, Poppies (California style and Opium), Violas, Alyssum, Flax (red or blue), Knautia aka Scabiosa atropurpurea, Linaria, Lychnis, Salvia coccinea, Mustard Osaka Purple, some Calendula, Forget me nots, Feverfew, Schizanthus. Feel free to post what others are.

Comments (247)

• sunnyk
    4 years ago

I received my week 1 and 2 prize package today!! Absolutely love it all! The card is fantastic as well! Thank you so much:-)

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

WEEK 3 WINNER IS AMY!

Yea Donna, happy to hear it.

Margo - thanks for letting us know.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Week 4 Oct 20

Posts with pictures still get 5 points - garden, crafts or Halloween related. Why not share pics of any decorations you’re using / have used in the past?

The metal tree was actually a garish green with bright flowers all over the pot - got it for something like 75 to 90% off at JoAnn and painted it. Sewed the table runner - had highlighted the squares with glitter fabric paint.

What’s happening in your garden, what crafting you’re up to or just plain what you’re up to posts also get 5 points each post.

We run the gamut from cold to warm zones and I know quite a few of this group craft all different things (cards, paints, jewelry, garden decor, sewing and more). So, for some the outdoor garden season may be ending but we can keep participation going and fun by opening up our topics.

Heidi 5a

Margo 6a

Alana 7a

Donna 7b

Breanne 7b

Maggie 8b

Amy 10a

I’ll be thinking of more tidbits / trivia and post those separately.

• sunnyk
    4 years ago

I love your Halloween display....especially those jack o lanterns. They look like something out of the 1950s.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Donna - I lucked out on those. There was some kind of Candle shop at the outlet malls (before I moved rural) and when it went out of biz, I struck gold ;-)

5 Points - what is the dog’s name in Nightmare before Christmas?

• sunnyk
    4 years ago

I need to get some of that luck lol

and

Zero

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

5 Points to Donna!

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, questions make it easy for folks. 5 Points

1. Do you make things?
    2. What areas do you play in (you can copy the list and say if you’re a dabbler). If I missed any - just add.
    • Cards / Paper crafts
    • Stamps
    • Sewing
    • Vinyl
    • Painting /Craft stuff or Canvas
    • Drawing / Coloring (pencils etc)
    • Jewelry / beading
    • Garden things (totems, signs, birdhouses, hanging decorations)
    • Clay
    • .. other..

.ps know that answers help folks decide what to send you. Some of us go back to these ....

• sunnyk
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I do make things, I make jewelry from caged or wire wrapped stones and crystals and some from trinkets. I also make loose incense, I tried my hand at making incense cones, but only some of my loose blends lent themselves to the cone type, so for the time being I’m just making loose.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Donna, I dabble in many many crafts but I’ve never made my own incense. Do you use essential oils or grow your own herb for those? The wire wrapping sounds great. I enjoy being able to make things that are just a bit different and individual. In truth, I am so backlogged on projects now, need to get my crafting mojo back in gear.

Everyone - This past weekend was my town’s Murphys Witch Walk. I live in a tourist town so they try to have something going on often. This year it benefitted the county Meals on Wheels program. If you like checking out costumes, one of the posts on their page links to 125 pics, but they also share a post from Key Largo Fl's Witch Ride (and the costumes reflect that they are warmer there). Not much for gooey makeup these days - I put on enough of a costume (hat, halloween apron over black clothing) to keep the spirit going but I'm not one to go all out and enter the costume contests (this year it was best child's, best couple, best male witch and best female - fantasy characters, Harry Potter and more a-ok. https://www.facebook.com/MurphysWitchWalk/ 

5 Points - what is the magical land the girls are from in the Disney Movie Twitches?

You know since I nabbed those shots of Johnny Depp from Pinterest - my feed is now littered with him as a young man in sexy poses!

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)
    4 years ago

I crochet, and i occasionally "play" in jewelry making. I have lots of stamps and make homemade cards for family a lot. I'm terrible at drawing and sewing though :). I love to cook and try new recipes though! I haven't spent much time on my hobbies since Ben's arrival. Time to get back at it! I got my week 1 prize. OCTOPUS earrings! I adore these as well and cannot wait to wear them! I also received some lovely seeds for container vegetable garden :) Thanks Maggie!

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    4 years ago

Wild weather in Nebraska. Cold, windy n crazy bit I found a glorious moment.

4 years ago

60 mph winds, drop in temp, some moisture but I found s golden moment.

4 years ago

I like to
    make cards hot emboss, paper emboss, inks, and I love to take dollar store and clearance items and make them look classy
    crochet, bit I need some ideas
    knit
    I can sew, but that's not my favorite. I have to shorten a lot of things so it's work!
    I have a kitchen because it came with the house
    gardening of course, saving seed
    attending flowers in city parks

• amybabyboy3
    4 years ago

what is the magical land the girls are from in the Disney Movie Twitches? Coventry

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes to Amy!

• amybabyboy3
    4 years ago
    1. Do you make things? Yes I love to try and create crafts/art
    2. What areas do you play in (you can copy the list and say if you’re a dabbler). If I missed any - just add.
    • Cards / Paper crafts-I enjoy card making and hope to be able to get back into more card making and stamping
    • Sewing- I like quick and easy sewing projects. i love to make simple things because patience is not one of my virtues, sad to say
    • Painting - i like to paint birdhouses when my husband builds them

• Drawing / Coloring (pencils etc) I like to color but I am not that great at drawing

• Jewelry / beading- yes I enjoy jewelry making but haven't done any real recently

• Garden things (totems, signs, birdhouses, hanging decorations) I make totems and garden them platters with up cycled finds from thrift stores and I love to do macrame and would love to get back into macrame maybe someday soon

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

5 Points - What movie has had people dressing up, singing along and attending midnight showings since 1975?

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

2nd Question for 5 Points:

in what movie is Sandra Bullock a witch?

4 years ago

1st question - Rocky Horror Picture Show

2nd Question - Practical Magic ( I think).

• sunnyk
    4 years ago

I love Practical Magic....it is one of my all time favorites :-)

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Breanne - 10 Points! Yep Donna, it’s a fun one.

And yikes - I created a LONG post last night and it’s not here, huh? I did use a screenshot and it loaded but this site must hate screenshots as opposed to pictures. Gaah, chatted about everyone’s crafts.

Let’s see, replied to Donna - didn’t mention that I have a wire jig and wire, next up is supposed to be curly-ish shawl pin. But, I don’t wrap much,

Breanne - For a new mom, you’re accomplishing a LOT! I crochet (and knit and loom) but don’t do anime type things.

Heidi - My latest crochet kick has been shawls. There are lots of simple patterns for them and with a shawl pin to keep them on/closed - they’re just as warm as a sweater. Added bonus - they always fit! (you can never be sure with a knit or crochet pattern and fitted clothing). Before that I went on a binge of crochet cotton and market bags (we’re a no plastic bag for free state). I use this pattern - you can be off in number of stitches in a row and it doesn’t make any difference at all - super easy pattern, I just add a bit more single crochet rows around the handles as they seemed thin to me. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crochet-market-bag-3 

I *think* what got my post bumped was screenshots of fun things on Pinterest pages - Santa and elf looking boot toppers/leg warmers and long stocking caps.. Been thinking about a bit of Christmas bling for me and a couple of adult nieces who’d wear it. Will put a Pinterest link in a separate post (don’t want to lose all this typing!).

Amy - I’m completely with you on simple, involved/takes too long projects and I hate them before I’m done.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also - high winds / fire alert weather and my address might have another Power Outage starting later this afternoon. So if I disappear for a bit, know I'll be back. Last time all the cell towers went out (they shut off large swaths of the state) so phone access was beyond spotty (and continually trying roving chewed up the battery).

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And, checked - I’d changed the Pinterest screen shots to jpg, so no idea what the system was doing last night. We’ll see if a link to CROCHET CHRISTMAS fun stuff will work - I’d saved stocking to share the pattern with my niece who crochets, I prefer sewn ones myself although I like hte garland of tiny ones.https://www.pinterest.com/ceodraiocht/needlecrafts-christmas/ Hmn, this is the link but clicking it I got a link error - I have a Christmas Needlecrafts small Pinterest board (don’t save everything, just a few top notch things there) - here’s my Pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/ceodraiocht/ if you don’t get to the board..

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

4 years ago

I just LOVE that cartoon! I received a certificate attachment in email today. I'm missing something because it does nothing for me to put them on the wall!

Both of your links worked for me so you're good. I often think computers have personal grudges against us. We create the link and they refuse to follow it. They're like pouty children!

Stay safe!

Heidi

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Heidi ! Power is out, so I’m off & saving phone till it’s back.

• amybabyboy3
    4 years ago

Maggie, I would love to see some pictures of your shawls. That sounds like a lot of fun to make especially this time of year.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, phone connection good, town south of me has power so perhaps local cell tower will stay online. Amy, I have a LOT of my shawls on my instagram - I’ll go grab a link. Most of them are the worsted weight warm variety. A couple with nicer yarns are light shoulder wraps. Have a few involved patterns I mean to try but have been going with easy 3 row repeats and corner markers so I can stitch away and be done. Dang, grabbed a link, paste not showing. Let me try on a new post.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, last iPhone OS changed a few things - I generally know what I’m doing computer wise but gah! My Instagram is ceodraiocht. I use it more like Pinterest for inspiration and sharing and connecting with a few crafter friends- not regular friends and family. You can follow hashtags which is wonderful. This is the shawl I just need two rows for, free pattern Spring Shells - changed the first two rows as I didn’t like how it started. I’d joined an outlander knits Facebook group and did a really chunky thick one based on that inspiration.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the outlander inspired chunky, used two yarns from my stash held together. Might be called When in Scotland, another free pattern.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

With some fancier yarns I like a simple pattern. Knit, yarn leftover from a gift. Don’t know what it was.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Another, my Instagram post should list the yarn. Also knit, made up the pattern.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is my favorite shawl pattern, when you go to the website she has a beautiful one out of a mohair. I’ve made a few, like it in worsted as well. https://ceodraiocht.wordpress.com/2018/08/13/maggies-evas-shawl/

• amybabyboy3
    4 years ago

Maggie They are super cute! You do a really good job. I like to crochet but I am not that good at it but I may give it another try.

4 years ago

Maggie, no surprise because you are SO talented, but those shawls look amazing! I mostly do blankets and small amigurumi projects by request for family and friends. I'll try to post a few photos, but it's not wanting to let me.

4 years ago

foxy pants for a friend's little girl

4 years ago

elephant pillow for hire

4 years ago

A scarf I made for my mom's friend from a photo of her dog, Griffin.

4 years ago

A rabbit wooby I made for my Cousin's Girl

4 years ago

An easter basket i made for my niece

4 years ago

Some Frozen hats I made for my nieces ages ago...they are 13 and 9 now.

4 years ago

and A plarn owl i made from plastic bags for a Garden webber who wanted something to scare critters in her garden. This one was difficult but super fun!

4 years ago

Sorry it only let me post one at a time :

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Breanne - you are so talented!!! Those are great!
    Amy - Eva’s is a simple pattern, just double crochet and chain. It would be good to try. Here’s another, Eva’s in Caron Cakes, good color way for the jeans I live in.
    Having trouble on a phone getting the full post to load, again don’t mind if I disappear.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

https://apple.news/A_Ib79Tw8THymLiQc9iSBpA. They expect to shut us off again Sunday, Hope I get a day of power in between for the frozens(usually good for 48 hours if you keep the door closed). Fingers crossed. Hearing the helicopters that check the lines go back and forth over town, last time I was up a few hours after downtown.

4 years ago

:( I will be praying for you and California Maggie. This looks so awful!

• amybabyboy3
    4 years ago

Maggie, I hope they are able to get the fire out soon. Thank you for pictures. Stay safe!

• faerygardener z7 CA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone!!! I had no idea how horrible trying to load a GW thread with a lot of comments is from a phone - I know now. Many times people have split the long discussions to two posts and it’s time to do that now. Everyone who’s a member will have notifications to check this thread since we’ve been posting - PLEASE - don’t post here anymore - have all new discussion go to the part 2 thread that will make everyone on a phone so much happier. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5812129/i-love-halloween-swap-fotess-october-part-2