lynn2112

Advice Needed Please - Is this Chili Thrips, Pesticide damage... RRD?

Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX)
September 28, 2019
last modified: September 28, 2019

Hello,

I have been very busy and have not been out to monitor my roses more than 1 time per week. Yesterday I saw odd growth on Belinda's Dream. I asked my husband to take a picture of the odd growth and thought he would overdo it and bring back 12 images, but unfortunately this is all I have.

I will try to go out this morning to capture more images.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Very strange. I've never seen anything quite like that. Pretty sure it's not RRD and it doesn't look exactly like chili thrips either. Chili thrips leave brown streaks on buds and curled, puckered leaves, but not the whole end of stem dying with a sudden cut off point like that. Could it be from hot winds on new growth? Doesn't look like Roundup damage. Has the rose been sprayed with anything that you know of? Hopefully someone will recognize the pattern of damage and advise.

Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX) thanked roselee z8b S.W. Texas
  • Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX)

We live by a trail with wrought iron fencing on the opposite side with common area grass and trees on. The "mow and blow" people are in the area regularly, tending to the grass, I would guess weeds, trees and whatever else they do too.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Hmmm, makes me wonder if hot air from a high powered blower burned tender new foliage.

• roseseek

Those tips do look "cooked". Whether due to hot exhaust or reflected/radiated heat from a passive solar source is difficult to determine from simply one image. How long has that specific plant been where it experienced that damage and was there any damage on any other roses in its proximity?

Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX) thanked roseseek
  • Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX)

The roses were water stressed ( they had not been watered for 9 days). This rose was picked up at ARE in July. There are a couple other having issues, and my Ebb Tide is on life support, however, none show the weird purplish, black tips. I also fertilized them two weeks ago, which could have been too early.

• roseseek

Hmm, perhaps the combination of extra salt (fertilizer), water stress and possible heat spike produced that specific result? It's possible those pigments exist in the plant and are intensified by the burned condition? That would be my vote. I doubt what you're seeing is due to any insect or disease. Just plain, old heat and salt burn. At least those are easier to battle...more water and less salt.

• Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX)

Thank you all so much!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I would have initially said Mitch but normally they don't get that developed. Is there any bud malformation? If not, I think I'm agreeing with everyone else.