ac91z6

Tell me about tree roses!

ac91z6
September 29, 2019

I'm tempted by some of Regan's offerings (Ebb Tide/Twilight Zone and Julia Child/Doris Day, mainly) this year. I couldn't put them in the ground in my zone, but I've run out of room for that anyway (Hi, I'm AC and I'm a rose addict). Pots have to be overwintered in the garage anyway, so why not try some rose trees?

I'm thinking the 24" or 36" trees, unless someone really, really recommends the 18" ones. I could almost take your usual 'Dr. Huey' grafted rose with those graft shanks and have a 12" rose 'tree'.

1. Any cultivars that DON'T work well as tree roses? For example, DA offers 'Scepter'd Isle' as a tree rose, and from what I've read of the plant's growth habit I don't think that would be a good choice.

I don't spray (combo of laziness and environmentally friendly), so anything particularly disease prone is a no-go.

2. I'm a sucker for fragrance; if I'm putting a rose at nose height, I want to be able to smell it!

3. Any experiences with vendors? JP, DA, Regans, and Witherspoon are who I'm finding.

4. How do you care for them? Most of my pots are a pot ghetto for planting in the ground eventually. These would actually require feeding and eventually pruning.

Please share pics if you have any!