nancyinri

October 2019 Build A New Home

NewEnglandgal
October 1, 2019

Time to start another month of excitement, frustrations and pictures of all the builds happening! Happy October!

• Kathy

I tried posting pictures 4 times now and none has taken. Maybe one at a time will work?

Building NEW after SANDY!

Please repost over in Design Dilemma. This Other category is not frequently monitored by Houzzers.

Question about building a new home

Foreverfarm, don't take my previous posting wrong, I'm not advocating a yelling match with your contractor....as Deborah says a reasonable discussion produces more. There is a lack of qualified and skilled subs in the rebounding industry right now...... just about anybody who can weld a hammer or trowel can find work if they want to, but with that said, contractors have a professional responsibility to man a job they take on properly and if they taken on more work than they can handle, the burden is on their shoulders as to how to allocate their work force efficiently. With all that said, my biggest concern is the statement you said about there not being a "set" date in the contract.....................1.) Most contractor licensing boards actually require as part of the licensing requirements to have specific elements included in the contract for services (i.e. scope of work, contact information, owner identification, contractor and sub-contractor information, payment schedule, schedule or benchmark dates and a COMPLETION DATE, etc.,etc..). Right now you've got the cart in front of the horse. My advise is to sit down with your contractor, discuss your concerns and get a systematic approach to your project in place so you can get this thing back on track. Show me a project that is over budget and schedule and invariable I can show you that there was little attention paid to all the keys for a successful project. Starting with the scope of work, the specifications of materials and quality levels and the contractual elements of schedule, payments, inspections, and means of resolutions. I have ceased being amazed by the number of owners who jump into this adventure with little more than a permit set of plans, a lump sum quote figure from the contractor and a verbal assurance from the contractor that they will "do you right"...... the realities are that building a home is one of the biggest and most expensive undertakings most people will attempt in their lives, short of having and raising children. It is a complicated process with many factors involved and just left to happen stance, is most assuredly bound to be the nightmare from hell for all but a lucky few.

POLL: Your October Checklist

I'm going to tackle the main bathroom. I really dislike the builder grade mirror that's up. It covers the whole wall above the two sinks. It's glued up instead of hanging with clips which would be so much easier to take down. Going to hang two mirrors up in its place, repaint and redecorate. I have everything to start my project except the mirrors, still looking for just the right ones. Can't wait to get started!!!!

Building an addition the width of this 1830 colonial style home

With carpets removed from the hallway floor upstairs, scrapping and sanding of floors was on the agenda. After a full day of sanding with a floor sander, we sanded with a palm sander also as the planks are not all even. The sander turned itself on after we left, no word of a lie, it did not moved and sanded (bored) a hole into the floor boards - we were so fortunate to not have a disaster ... We have since repaired the mishap wit a ginormous plug.
  • Kathy

You have to click on this one and the last one to see them. They're tall pictures. The last one was the guest bath. This is the master.

• kriii

Wow, so much progress:) Kate, I am so sorry about the flood. LOVE Kathy's and NEG's home pictures! This week, the electricians finished up some changes we had requested. We are waiting on gutter guard installation, which will hopefully be next week. Waiting on an estimate to power wash the construction dust from the house too. Getting super excited for back splash installation which should be before the end of the month. My kitchen and great room are open so adding that back splash will finish the area. Need the fireplace mantle finished. Need paint touch ups and a bit of drywall repair where we had the electrical changes installed. Winter will be a good time to buy window treatments, plan the landscaping and patio design. Want to get a nice bird feeder for the back yard before winter. So nice dealing with the small things rather than waiting on a whole house to be built! I ordered a few Christmas trees this week. I cannot believe that we were in a minimally furnished apartment a year ago and now we are going to spend the holidays in our new home:)

• K H

@kriii that sounds thrilling!

@Kathy that porch is beautiful and your tile patterns are so pretty I’m jealous! I wanted to do some tile but it wasn’t in the budget! As for our kitchen woes after much debate and research I went and walked the house. I decided to move the island to the right so that my path to the sink is a straight diagonal from the stove. I measured and it is 8 ft from the sink which I could cut to 4 if I put the cooktop in the island but I don’t think it is worth losing the ceiling vented range hood and the uninterrupted island space. (Plus I will only have to move the pendant lights instead of a bunch of wiring. Thank you for all being so kind in helping rather than bluntly stating my design was wrong and won’t work like the rest of Houzz. I’m so glad to be a part of this forum!

Another question, we are planning dual fuel so would it be wise to run 220V also while he is out here moving the pendants? (Right now we just have normal there.)

It’s cooling down here in the 30s so we are taking the last of the tomatoes and making some chili. Neighbor brought over some apples so I‘m Going to make some apple crisp too! Happy for fall.

• Cheryl Hannebauer

for those who would like to see our ICF build on the Southern Gulf islands BC Canada.
    go to my page, idea books New Build-Gabe for photos.

• Lou Myers

DH primed the island and moved it into the house. It’s not set yet but I was too excited to not take pics lol. Sink will go in the middle and the extra space is for the dishwasher.

• Lou Myers

@Cheryl wow! Amazing home. That’s a lot of work to take on. My hubby is finishing all our trim , hanging doors and building our cabinets so I will need to be patient (not my strong suit).

@NYC I can’t wait to see the reveal with the space under the stairs!

• Lou Myers

@NEG I’m so sorry you’re having to brave the laundromat. For me it’s the worst thing in the world to have me do.

@KH I’m happy you found a kitchen layout that makes you smile! I’ve not had a dual fuel so idk on the 220v. My gut says have it installed when he’s already there.

@Kate you poor thing! I would have broke down too. Luckily you chose an ethical GC who is going to make things right. Hang in there.

@Krii enjoy the holidays in your new home!

• NYCish

They broke up and repoured our concrete in front of the house yesterday. I happened to be around when they were finishing up and left a little approved graffiti (all of the initials of the members of our family). Our electrical inspection is Tuesday, followed by plumbing Wednesday. We are waiting on granite for the outdoor kitchen...and that’s about it! So this last part will either drag out or happen at warp speed depending on how efficient or lazy the inspectors are!

• K H

@Lou Myers how big is that island it’s gorgeous!

• cprieur

October 2019
    And so it begins

• Lou Myers

@KH island is just shy of 10 ft x 4 ft

@cprieur welcome!

• NewEnglandgal

lou your island is so nice! cant wait to see it all finished!

Welcome cprieur! Cute little worker you have there!

• cprieur

Lou Myers, are your cabinets white or beige and what will be the color of your counters?

• Trish Walter

Kathy. What are dimensions of your master show and are you doing a door or no door? love it. Thanks.

Soothing Company

Hello! Not sure if your front yard landscaping planned, but A fountain would look great in your beautiful space! Many of our clients have found that the calming and soothing sounds that come from a water fountain have really been beneficial to their well being and stress levels while relaxing in their yard.

We also offer free shipping for our fountains anywhere in the continental US.

Below are just a few examples. For more please feel free to look at the link below!

https://www.soothingcompany.com/pages/outdoor-fountains

Caterina Fountain in Basin · More Info

Newport Garden Fountain · More Info

Parisienne Two Tier Water Fountain · More Info

• Lou Myers

@cprier cabinets and trim are PPG antique white. I saw way too may design delimas on the trim and cabinet whites not matching so I chose my trim color and just kept it the same for the cabinets since it’s so open.

Countertops will be granite I know a lot of people are now anti-granite but I’ve had granite before and loved that it was bombproof and almost no maintenance. I’ve not chosen a slab yet though.

• Junk*Salvation

I am loving all the progress photos! Congrats to those getting started!

Here are some new photos of our progress this week. Still in the framing stage. I just checked the calendar and we are 5 weeks and 5 days into the build, from the day we broke ground until now. Not too shabby! Ready to get dried in though, had a lot of rainy days here lately.

• snowcountry

Junk*Salvation It is going up fast! 5 weeks is about when we started digging. We spent a whole month surveying the site. We are finally getting the foundation this week.

• Junk*Salvation

If I count the time it took beforehand to test the soil & get back our engineered slab plans, then we need to add a month on to that. @snowcountry That process DRUGGGGG it felt like. (I also took care of getting the temporary electric going, permits, etc, all during that wait time.) But, from the day we started our pad work was the 5+ weeks ago. Hope that makes sense! Anyways, it does seem to be going along fairly quick so far. The last 2 days have had zero progress (rain, rain, rain) but it is supposed to clear off tonight. Hoping to see more progress this week! :)

Also, had good news on the window arrival date getting bumped up. I ordered those a long while back knowing the lead-time was long but then it ended up even being longer than what my order contract quoted. I got a call yesterday with them saying the time table had been bumped up and the windows are supposed to be here mid November. It will delay us a little bit but hopefully nothing too crazy. I'd like to have the house dried in completely by Thanksgiving holiday week. My time table might be too crazy but we'll see. That's what I'm pushing for. The joys of self-contracting. lol!

• Buzz Solo

Looking good Junk*Salvation! Where abouts are you located? Mid November here would make it tough getting windows installed though I am sure somebody's done it before.

We got a couple more pieces of ridge cap up today. One, just ONE to go! Next good weather day will be Friday. Fingers crossed that pans out. Raining now and all day tomorrow and too windy on Thursday.

• Lou Myers

@junk looks great! Beautiful trees.

• Junk*Salvation

@Buzz Solo Central Texas area, about 25 minutes west of Waco, TX. Thankfully, snow is rarely an issue (& if it is, it doesn't last for more than a few days at the most). Ice is more our thing but that is normally in the December-March timeframe. It is mainly the rain that slows us down in the winter, if anything. I'm thankful for the rain but the messiness of it all drives me slightly crazy. lol!

Yay for getting closer to being done with the ridge cap! Good news! :)

• Junk*Salvation

@Lou Myers Thank you! They are pecan trees. There are some gorgeous Oak trees at the back along the seasonal creek that I love even more. Just something about a beautiful Oak tree. The pecan trees will be nice for the pecan harvest...good chore for my kids. ha! I shelled many a pecan in my youth. My grandparents used to pay all us grandkids to come over and help shell the pecans. It was never much $ but we had a blast doing it altogether anyways.

• K H

@Lou Myers thank you for the dimensions. @Junk*Salvation so exciting to see the framing! Is it three stories? Love your big windows. @cprieur welcome to the thread, you have a cute little helper. What state are you in? Are you building a walkout, half concrete and half framed wall makes me curious? No front door yet but they are saying Thursday so I'm crossing my fingers. Builder has moved on to another house because we are waiting on the door and more cedar for porch posts. Sheetrock is also supposed to be delivered on thursday. For some reason can't post any pictures.

• T

@Lou Myers beautiful kitchen! do you mind me asking how far in/spaces part your pendant lights are over your island? I have a similar size island/ light fixture chosen and need to have them put in!

• cprieur

K H We're building a bi-generational home in the suburbs of Montreal/Quebec in Canada. My son is building a home in the country and we are tagging along with our 800 square feet addition. Yes, it’s not very big however we will have a finished basement and will be mortgage free. Our unit will be a one floor plus basement and my son will have a two storey house with finished basement. The cute helper is my grandson standing on the side of the house, entrance on the opposite side. .

• NYCish

Passed final electrical and plumbing! Fire tomorrow, elevator next week.....and we are having a bomb cyclone rain event or whatever the weather channel is calling it...so let’s see if we get water in the basement. (We haven’t closed yet....I’d rather know if we floor PRIOR to purchase ha)

• NewEnglandgal

oh NYCish you are soooo close!
    We are getting bombogenesis too!
    Hope everything stays dry and you pass all inspections. I hear we have big winds coming...

• NYCish

Thanks @NEG! Yes sooooo close. Possibly closing last week of oct, moving first week of nov if our stars align. They brownstoned the steps (well, got some of it done before the rain) and planted our street tree and front “yard” tree. Construction is “complete”!

• Junk*Salvation

@K H Thank you! It is 2 stories but 2 of the bedrooms upstairs have lofts above, so it is technically 2.5 stories probably. I'm loving the large windows as well!

• Junk*Salvation

@NYCish Soooo close to move-in! Good luck with all the rain & fingers-crossed for zero flood issues!

• K H

@Junk*Salvation would you share your floor plan, that sounds so cool! I love seeing everyone's builds but you can never get the whole picture without a floor plan. It's thursday so I guess we shall wait and see on our front door, hope it shows up...... @NYCish that is fabulous! Will be thinking of you and praying everything falls into place for your move and closing.

@cprieur that is neat how the enclose the basement. We are in tornado alley so our basement has 9’ concrete walls!(so expensive!)

• Lou Myers

@ T thank you! The center of the lights are 28 inches in from each end of the island

• Lou Myers

@ NYC crossing my fingers on smooth inspections for you

I hope you and NEG stay dry!

@ KH hoping your door arrived!

• Kathy

Trish, the shower is 3 ft wide, 8 ft long. It will have a frameless glass enclosure. It's all grouted now. Our window casing is stuck in customs and because the tile was run up to the window, the trim guys want to know how they should trim out the window. Any ideas?

• Kathy

Trish, the shower is 3 ft wide and 8 ft long. It will have a frameless glass enclosure. Here are a few more pictures.

• Kathy

Sorry for the double post. The first one disappeared and then they both posted at the same time.

• Buzz Solo

We are dried in. The last victory pose from atop the roof! While Hal was up there I was painting the fascia in case we don't get enough good weather to finish the trim this year. Maybe it's overkill but we just don't want any wood exposed for a 3rd winter. We'll be lucky to get the rake trim finished by the look of the forecasts.

• ghatta

Congratulations Buzz Solo! So much work and perseverance! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• NYCish

Our outdoor grilling spot is almost finished! We just need the trash pullout installed.
    Our common interior staircase was also finished (to refresh, this is a 1901 rowhome converted into our triplex and a duplex above us). They are waiting for the refurbished original ironwork to be reinstalled and that’s about it! A few more inspections and we are good to go
    So close!

• Lou Myers

@buzz congratulations!!!!! Such a big milestone

• NYCish

Congrats buzz!! Looks awesome and great pic!!
    By the way (unrelated) , I know this is a constant comment but is anyone else having super weird things with Houzz mobile? Comments are cut off with ... / I can’t see full comments from people. Some comments don’t even appear! I missed Buzz’s comment entirely!! I love this small community but man, whomever is running this site is asleep at the wheel!

• Buzz Solo

Thanks ghatta, Lou, NYCish. We both goofed off today, I went shopping and to lunch with Hal's sister while he played around on the property. It's deer hunting season and he's been checking things out. Tomorrow we'll work on some exterior trim again, and we'll keep doing that when we have good weather. Winter is coming soon though I think. The leaf colors have peaked and the winds are mostly coming from the north now. I need to start knitting Christmas stockings, too. lol

• Lori Wagerman_Walker

So much to catch up on!!

Excited for all :)

• NYCish

Well we have passed almost every inspection, the cal closet install is finally complete after a couple of goof ups. We have the elevator inspection left and hopefully a CO next week. I noticed a bit of wonkyness of of Thermador oven closing; doesn’t feel solid and went thru this with a Viking dud before in my current my rental. I have a feeling I will have some service calls in the future post-close with that. Ah well
    Pics below are kitchen with the accent lights finally working, mirrors installed in the bathrooms (master pictured, and sweet baby Jesus, the heated floors are bliss and I might sleep on them) my daughters closet (she’s 5 and doesn’t know how good she has it), the laundry room where I discovered undercab hidden led lighting I had no idea existed)

• K H

@NYCish loving your Thermador range. What model? Wow, love the closet system too!

Getting discouraged over here. We finally got our front door and siding finished. Can’t post any photos for some reason. But I’m upset the cedar posts have knots all over two and the others don’t. It doesn’t look very uniform. I’m getting tired of pointing out problems with details. To me it’s the little details that make a house. We paid around $700 for these posts I think they should look right. Drywall crew’s van blew its motor so no drywall installed yet but at least it has been delivered. Now I need to finalize wall colors, cabinets and flooring!

• NYCish

@K H its the 36" pro grand (the new model)

Yeah we are happy with how the California Closets turned out (I mean, we should be, that stuff is $$) I can't remember where I mentioned it, but we had a credit from the designer towards closets and she uses Cal Closets. if I didn't have to choose them, I might have gone with Elfa or something. But I have to say, we didn't even buy the nicest tier (Id estimate on a 4 tier basis, we chose tier 2), and the drawers are solid with self-close, nice hardware, nicely finished shelves, etc. The experience was nice, they were mindful of my budget, and the installation process, even with a few hiccups, was smooth (their customer service is pretty great). And they have a lifetime warranty. But again, not cheap. For 3 walk ins, 2 large reach ins, and 1 smaller reach in, it was nearly $12K. CRAZY