valerie_henderson45

Suggestions for paint color for kitchen walls.

Pharm Life
October 1, 2019

I have a northwest facing kitchen that doesn’t get a lot of light from outside. I’m looking to brighten up the kitchen and hoping painting it a different color will help. The kitchen is in the middle of the house but open to the main living area and formal dining room. The rest of the main living areas are painted a warm yellow by sherwin Williams called Dakota wheat/compatible cream and I have a grey living room couch/area rug. I’m looking for a little contrast. Right now I’m not sure what color the kitchen is. I suspect it’s a tan but it looks peach colored with the lighting. Ideally one day would like to renovate whole kitchen (cabinets and flooring) but it’s not in the budget right now. Any suggestions on colors for my kitchen that would go with the flow of the other rooms and brighten it a little more?

KDC Virtual Color Consulting

To open up the space I would look for a soft sea glass color for the walls. Take a look at Benjamin Moore Constellation AF-540.

• Pharm Life

Do you have a recommendation for a sea glass color that is more on the greener side than blue?

• Pharm Life

• eam44

You have brown cabinets, yellow counters, and now you’re thinking green walls? North facing or not, you need a color that harmonizes well with the choices you’ve already made. A close up of your counter surface would help, because in the end, you’re going to pull possible wall colors from it.

That said, I’ve seen SW 6385 Dover White work in spaces like yours. Bonus: one of the “coordinating colors” for Dover White is Dakota Wheat. Remember, helping someone choose a color on line is really hard. You are in the space. You’ll know if it looks good or not.

• Pharm Life

Yeah. I’m not sure about green either. You are right. I do love the Dakota wheat for the rest of the rooms. The counters are not yellow. I think the lighting makes them appear that way. The counters are a mix of tan, brown and black and white.

• Pharm Life

Here is a close up of my counters

• Pharm Life

Got a strip of Dover white and it looks to be the same color on my window trim. Definitely wanting something that’s going to highlight my window trim not camouflage it.

• Pharm Life

Maybe I’ll just improve the lighting and forget painting the kitchen

• Will M65(SE,PA 7A)

BM Beach Glass, Moonshine, and Gray Horse can appear greenish depending on your lighting. I can't tell you what color you will like or not like, but recommend that you try a few different shade samples once you do pick a color. Paint them on the wall or white poster board so you can move them around before you commit to one of them.

If you choose to change lighting, do that first then decide on paint color.

Will

• Pharm Life

That’s a great tip about changing lighting first then choosing paint!! Thank you

• eam44

ABSOLUTELY do the lighting.

RE: Pain, Dover White SW 6385 is on color strip 261 along with Canvas Tan SW 7531. Here is Canvas Tan with your counters and Dakota Wheat SW 9023.

• eam44

Anything on that strip would probably work, including Aged White, SW 9180 below. The idea that your window trim should be painted a different color than the wall is just that, an idea, not a rule, completely unnecessary. Your window trim is very simple and painting it the same color as the wall would be a perfectly reasonable choice.

Dakota Wheat is on color strip 139, as is Napery SW 6386 below, another option. I suggest you get both color strips, bring them home, and see what you like.

• cat_ky

Look for lighting in the daylight 4000 range or so. You have way too much yellow in your kitchen now, and if it isnt yellow, then that lighting is really bad, because, when you glance at the picture, yellow is what jumps out. You dont want any paints with yellowish tones with your honey oak cabinets. I think the seaglass would actually be perfect.

• Pharm Life

Cat_ky are there any particular sea glass colors you like?

• Mary Glickman

Someone mentioned Moonshine by Benjamin Moore - I think that could be really nice. Also check BM Titanium which can also have a slightly green tone. I agree on your lighting; changing the bulbs could help and also consider some undercabinet lighting, maybe some uplighting on top of the cabinets as well.

• cat_ky

I prefer the color constellation posted above, but, you appear to want something a bit more green. Try Sherwin williams rainwashed or sea salt.

• Renee

Change out your bar stools and kitchen chairs (or slipcover) and brighter tablecloths will help a lot. Coordinate the colors and kept them bright.

The artwork on either side of the entry darken the space too.

• Pharm Life

Renee what colors for the barstools and tablecloths and chairs do you recommend to keep things bright? White?

• Pharm Life
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I changed out the pendent lights to Daylight bulbs and oh my gosh does it hurts everyone’s eyes. The kitchen is open to the dining and living room and it looks so tacky to have such bright lights when all other lights are warm.
  • cat_ky

You will get used to them, and they do show true colors, rather than the yellow toned bulbs. Its very hard to pick the right color with yellowish light bulbs.

• Mary Glickman

Pharm life I’m going to hand this off to my husband (architectural lighting designer) to talk about bulbs. There is absolutely not one single be all end all light bulb that must be used to see true colors. Hang in there And I’ll try to get him to give you some suggestions!

• Pharm Life

Thank you Mary! Almost have my hands up in the air with what to do.

• Mary Glickman

he suggested looking for bulbs by this manufacturer where you can get different color temperatures. He thinks you dislike what you have not because it’s bright but because it’s cold (and bright). The company is called SORAA And they have a line of home lighting products.

• Pharm Life

Mary Glickman, I brought LED bulbs online that are 3500k color temperature and it has really made a difference!! And....it doesn’t seem as cold and doesn’t hurt my eyes!! Tell your hubby thank you!!!

• Pharm Life

Much brighter now with better lighting! Now to pick color. I have swatches of constellation, sea salt, rain washed, canvas tan and neutral ground. I’ll probably stare at these for a while. Lol. Thanks everyone!!!

• Pharm Life

The ones circled are moonshine and titanium

• Pharm Life

View from a different direction with new lighting looking into living room

• cat_ky

Wow, your new lighting makes a world of difference. Happy you found exactly the right ones for your house. Seems to be harder and harder to find the right bulbs these day and they are also very pricey. On your first picture with the strip of colors closest to the door or window casing. On left hand side one. I like the second color down. I cant see just which one it is on the picture, but, it seems to be a nice clear color, with no muddiness to it.

• Will M65(SE,PA 7A)

Glad that you got the lighting squared away.

Here is the Beach Glass 1564 info:

https://campchroma.com/beach-glass-1564-by-benjamin-moore/

It can read either blue or green depending on light. I suggest though that any color you are considering is to get samples and paint them on white poster board or a piece of dry wall to see exactly how they will look in your space. You can set them next to cabinets/floor/furniture etc. etc to see how the light refracts off those surfaces and appears to your eye.

The sheen of the paint will also make the color look different vs the small flat finished color swatches.

Will

• Pharm Life

Cat_ky that is the color Constellation

• nosoccermom

I'd look at something like BM Edgecomb Gray or SW Agreeable Gray or Mindful Gray

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/the-best-paint-colours-to-go-with-oak-wood/

The greens/blues will really bring out the orange in the oak.

• eam44

I'm so glad your lighting is working out - I feel like I can see better!

Just keep in mind with your new paint color that you are keeping Dakota Wheat everywhere else, and you need the two colors to play well together. That rules out a lot of grays/blues. Let us know what you end up choosing.

• cat_ky

I thought that may be Constellation, but, I couldnt see the name to be sure. I liked it the best before and I still like it the best. :-)

• Pharm Life

eam44. I wondered about the blue/greens going with Dakota wheat. Trying to find pics to see if I would like that combo. Being that the rest of the house is warm I wonder if having more cool tones in the kitchen will clash. I wonder if it would look something like this

• Pharm Life

You can kind of see some yellow in this pic from the room besides the kitchen

• Pharm Life

I also have dark blue couches in a small sitting room and grey in my fireplace and main living couches.

• Pharm Life

Here’s a pic with Yellow and sea salt

• eam44

Yellow and blue can go together, but Dakota Wheat is not a light, cool yellow, it has substantial golden orange undertones that may not pair well with cooler hues like SW 6204 Sea Salt.

But you are in the space and you’re the one that has to love it. You tell us how it looks