annie_bui66

boscobel rose vs the inGENIOUS MR. FAIRCHILD rose

Annie Bui
October 4, 2019

I don't know what rose I should get from David Austin garden. My yard is very limited space so that I can't buy 2 of them. I currently have the ancient mariner and Heritage rose. I'm looking for big pink rose for cutting. TIMF is looking fabulous but I don't know if it's good for cutting or not and I haven't seen that much people grow that. What is the reason?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

My Boscobel goes coral back and forth. I wish it stayed pink.

• erasmus_gw

I have TIMF planted in a hot , dry spot and it handles it well. It's a tough plant with good rebloom. Blooms are a slightly lavender pink. I don't know if it's good for cutting...I don't cut roses very often. It's a medium sized Austin here , arches over at about 4' with good branching. Blooms often nod.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

I have found that my Austins just are not the best for cutting. Generally the blooms are spent in pretty much a day or two, so I don't cut them and bring them into the house. Exception would probably be Pretty Jessica or Munstead Wood. But again, unfortunately, they don't last.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I have both and Boscobel booms way way more and I prefer its roses but they are totally different colors here.

Boscobel can range from coral to warm pink and TIMF is a cooler pink. I agree TIMFs blooms do nod. Mine is own root at least 3yrs old and not grafted whereas my Boscobels are both grafted.

Boscobel roses are good in a vase. TIMF fall apart quickly.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

You might want to check out Grace Rose Farms. They are an operation in SoCal that grow roses specifically for selling to florists as cut flowers. Individuals can also buy from their website, but most of their crop is for florists. I am sure all their varieties do well cut! If you click on a floral arrangement they will list the varieties that come in that bouquet. For instance, their “Brights Bouquet” has Princess Alexandra of Kent, Munstead Wood, Carding Mill, Evelyn, and Princess Charlene of Monaco.