Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gretchennelson6

To replace granite or not to...that is the question!

gretchennelson6
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have a 20 year old home with venetian gold granite counters, which I really do not like. The kitchen had red oak cabinetry that we painted black. I am doing a refresh (new appliances, removed some upper cabinets and put in open shelving, changed cabinet hardware) and we will be selling in 4-5 years, probably. I need advice...do I replace countertops with a granite I like, concrete, or quartz? Will I see any return on my investment? Or should I just leave them?

Comments (19)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Leave the counters as is. Older, painted (and not professionally) cabinets don’t merit an expensive investment. Your down the road buyers may gut the kitchen and start with their own ideas.

• gretchennelson6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They cabinets were professionally painted. We have put in prof style appliances.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

A lot would depend on the market in your particular area. You might want to ask a few realtors.

I‘m doing a mini kitchen makeover. I am replacing a few cabinets along the perimeter with drawer cabs, replacing sink cab along with new huge single bowl under-mount sink and also the perimeter countertop. I’m leaving the island as is with the granite (I hate) and doing the perimeter in a solid color that goes with it in Silestone.

My kitchen is a good size with twenty cabinets so even a mini makeover blend-in will probably be close to eight grand by the time I’m done. That price is a DIY price but with quality Conestoga cabinets/painted doors. In my neighborhood I will get an excellent return.

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

I would not ask realtors this question. They will almost always say that you should spend money on upgrades. It’s no expense for them after all. I agree with JudyG Designs mostly, and that the expense of switching your granite will not be recouped at resale, and will not make a difference in the ability to sell your home. However, if you detest your granite, and the funds to change your counters won’t be a hardship for you, and you are prepared to go granite or Quartz shopping at several stoneyards, and choose the right fabricator, and go to the template layout, then go ahead and make yourself happy with new counters.

• gretchennelson6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am actually a realtor and have lived in 9 homes, most of which we have remodeled! I know from past remodels that I did not get my money back on my concrete counters, wolf range and miele coffee maker!! Maybe it is just me...does anyone like venetian gold granite? I put it in a huge remodel in a previous home but that was over 20 years ago. I actually saw it in a new construction home I showed a client recently. I was surprised but maybe people like it...

• eld6161
    4 years ago

Too be honest, not really. The golds are not trendy right now. Most are going lighter, with quartz.

And, grays are still being put into new high-end builds.

I hear there can be problems with concrete.

Look at the white granites with black and dark grays going through it.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

The thing that will trip you up is the older generation of oak cabs even w black paint. The storage will likely not have the conveniences of a new kitchen unless you did something to fit in stacks of drawers. And the layout......I would probably get a white of some sort because you do have 4 yrs plus. Formica or corian basic w some veining . Just don't spend a lot. Focus on the overall look and a bit of something different as in the hardware or a light fixture.....or the newer finishes and features for that fridge.

• User
    4 years ago

People could really hate black cabinets by the time you sell. So the countertops may very well not be the only problem by selling time. So hard to know. but then You will end up redoing the backsplash probably too If you do new countertops.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

Idecor brings up a good point about the backsplash. Strangely that’s the part of the kitchen to me that dates a kitchen the most. My kitchen is open to the living area and never had a backsplash. Well, not a real backsplash, just s 4” matching granite one. The kitchen walls are painted the same color of course as the rest of the living space. I’m keeping it that way. The wall that’s most visible has open shelving and the rest are windows. I’ll probably just do a matching to quarts 2”. The new owner can put in what they like.

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

It would be good to see a photo of your countertop and black cabinets ....? Anyhow , I think you did a good job trying to make Venetian gold granite better looking by painting the cabinets black . Just leave it as is ...or change some accessories ..a new wonderful lamp or chandelier or accessories on your cabinets ...a dramatic waterspout . If you are leaving in 4-5 years ...try just the minimum ...in the end ...either the people love your kitchen or change it anyhow .......

• K Laurence
    4 years ago

Don’t waste your money ( unless you have boatloads of it to burn) on replacing the granite if you’re selling within 5 years .

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

If you dislike the gold then 4-5 yrs is fair to replace even w a sale of the property. Besides....circumstances can change. If the layout permits this.....look into a section for the IKEA butcher block . It is diy and can warm up and make the whole feel a bit more dynamic. Just be creative w budget pre determined. Black cabinets is bold .... keep the look classic w some contrasting tones.

• chocolatebunny123
    4 years ago

I think it's area-specific, and in my area, granite is expected, quartz is a nice surprise. My friend works in real estate and you do have some people that will poo-poo a house because they don't like the particular granite, but it's usually not enough to be THE deciding factor. We have many younger families moving into my area to get into the school district and they want turnkey because they don't have the time or money to upgrade and remodel (of course there are exceptions). They're just happy to have granite and nice cabinets.

I think any kind of remodel you should do for you. You never know what your buyer will love. My coworker was selling her house and her kitchen had expensive hickory cabinets from the 80s. They're very well made but her agent told her she needs to completely remodel the kitchen to sell. My coworker didn't listen and priced the house to sell. Turns out the buyers loved the rustic cabinets because they went well with the style of house.

I have never heard of anyone recouping 100% of their investment when they go to sell.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

Doing any kind of remodeling for resale is tricky. I have had extremely good fortune in this though. There is a trick to it. You want to do it in a way that it will look fresh and Blend with the rest of the home. Some people spend too much and don’t do the blend-y thing. When their done the new stuff just highlights the ewww elsewhere. It makes it easier if some of the “old soul” is kept but done so with a bit of a spin on cool.

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Five years is half the lifetime of a trend.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

If it were me I would change them out. That specific granite has always felt like a builder grade type style trying to be "high end." Sounds like you have loose plans to move which can always easily change to a 6-10year plan. You already don't like them and sounds like you haven't for a while. If you have the money to invest I would do it.

• tsjmjh
    4 years ago

We gutted a kitchen two years ago. I used custom European or frameless maple cabinetry with what was supposed to be a dark espresso stain, letting the grain show. It turned out black and you have to really squint sideways to see any grain (looooong story with that cabinet company).

This is an open area kitchen and I've had quartz before so I'm not unfamiliar with it (we used to make it for several well known companies). I spent months going around trying to find the "perfect" counter top, already worried about the "black" cabinetry in this traditional-house area. I probably should have used white but I came across, finally, 2 gorgeous slabs of Crema Bordeaux granite with more aquas, creams and hints of black than bordeaux that tied in everything - floor, cabs, furniture, backsplash, etc. It's just about the opposite of the trending white or veined quartz. We do intend to resell this house within 5 years but *I* loved it and *I* have to look at this kitchen about 95% of my waking hours.

As far as 5 years being half of a trend, I was looking at condos (online) in a new building in the District. They ranged in price from $3m to $8m (it's expensive here, lol). Every unit for sale was gray, gray, gray. I realize that's the safe monotone thing to do, but there were no "trends" in these extremely high end units. No blue cabinets, no Moorish tile in the bathrooms, etc. Of course, if you're going to spend $8m I assume you can rip it all out and start over. ;-)

• Steph H
    4 years ago

It really depends, in my mind. 5 years is kind of a good chunk of time and if you would enjoy a nicer counter I would go for it. Also as far as resale goes- nice counters can be eye catching to a buyer, even if the entire kitchen has not recently been redone.