ingrid_vc

SW Sea Salt in My Dining Room

I have another thread detailing my dining room paint saga but decided to do this thread separately since I thought there might be some interest in my use of Sea Salt, which seems to be a wildly popular color. I had tried several other colors and was dithering around with paint samples while agonizing over the endless choices to be had in the light blue-green color spectrum by the various paint companies. I finally became desperate and decided to use Sea Salt, which was the color I had my entry room painted in the spring. I knew it would be different in the dining room since that room receives a lot more light and faces in two directions. My guess was that it would be slightly lighter and more greenish in color than the darker entry room which has only a glass door and no windows, and never receives any sunlight.

I've taken pictures in the morning, at noon, at 5 in the afternoon and under artificial light since so many colors may look good at certain times of the day or in a certain light situation. I was so pleased to see that Sea Salt didn't morph into some horrible shade at certain times, always looking soft and pretty, which is definitely what I wished for in a dining room that is next to the kitchen and connected to the living room via a large arch. I think it worked out very nicely. I'm not saying there isn't a better color out there for this room, but my chances of finding that color would have been distressingly low.

Having used Sea Salt in two rooms and been very happy with the results I give this color my qualified approval. Every situation is different, of course, but if you're looking for a light blue-green color, this one might merit a large test swatch on your walls.

Continued.......

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Taken at 10:00 a.m.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Taken at noon with entry room also shown; both rooms are painted in Sea Salt.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Under artificial light at approximately 6:30 p.m.

• Sheeisback GW

That’s very pretty! I really liked your red dining room but this looks great too. Thank for posting the detailed info. and photos.

eta- I’ve been really happy looking at rooms painted a color vs. neutral lately. Yes, fresh is a good word. I always enjoy seeing photos of your pretty home.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheeisback GW
  • ghostlyvision

I like it too, it looks so fresh and pretty.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked ghostlyvision
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Thanks so much. I'm not brave enough to have color all over the house but having these two rooms with colors has always lifted my mood. The red dining room and soft green entry room seemed just right 12 years ago, but these colors seem fresher to me right now without giving off any kind of a trendy vibe. Too funny, I know, there's nothing trendy about these rooms!

• sableincal

What a beautiful color to show off your wonderful collections!

And heaven save us from trendy rooms!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked sableincal
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

Ingrid, its a wonderful color that shifts blue or green depending on the light. And it is both refreshing and elegant.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • aprilneverends

I also love it a lot-given how much I was attached to the previous red, I'm pleasantly surprized at myself. I like when colors subtly shift and change-and every reincaenation is slightly different but stil is grabbing you,

Very pretty, and thank you for sharing with us.

I was never a person who goes for blue on the walls, but I'll make a mental note on this one. Not now, not in my current place but who knows what future holds.

I like how it looks with floors as well.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked aprilneverends
  • Yayagal

You chose wisely, the color is amazing with your furnishings.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Yayagal
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

You've all given me such a good feeling about the color, thank you! April, I'm with you about not having previously been fond of blue walls, and I still am not enamored of the darker blue shades, but somehow this color seems to have "soul", if that's not being too fanciful. Sea Salt is primarily recommended for coastal and farmhouse styles, but I'm pleased with how well it marries with a more traditional look also. I think the lighter-colored chairs compared to the previous dark wood ones may have something to do with that. Stephanie, I love your characterization of the color as being both refreshing and elegant. That is exactly what I was hoping to achieve. Below is a photo of the previous incarnation of this room for any who are interested. I still like the darker color, but after seeing it every day for at least 12 years I was ready for a change. What you can see of the entry room shows the light green wall color prior (and also a different rug that was ruined when that room was flooded). Thankfully I also love the new rug more!

• cat_ky

I remember when you were deciding the color and when you picked the sea salt. I thought it looked fantastic then, and I still do. Nice to know you still like it too.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked cat_ky
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

cat_ky, the previous color actually was not Sea Salt but a slightly darker blue that I just couldn't get used to. It was Valspar Cool Mint, which doesn't seem terribly different but just enough to drive me crazy, especially since it looked even darker than this at night and certain times of the day. It was worth it to me to have the painter come in again since I doubt I'll ever repaint again. Here is Cool Mint below:

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Gorgeous. And I too was a big fan of the red. Sea salt is quite fresh and lovely, better than the mint.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Lil S

It's a lovely change!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lil S
  • cat_ky

Yes, I remember you had tried cool mint first. Like all the others, I did like the red too, however, now it is very fresh and new looking.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked cat_ky
  • Sheeisback GW

Oh wait, now I’m trying to think I’d I saw the cool mint before.

The do look similar but sea salt is more sophisticated looking, for a lack of better words, in your room.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

It makes me feel very confident about my choice that you've all validated it, and I'm very grateful for the nice comments. Choosing a new paint color after the red turned out to be more tricky than I thought. Of course now I'm thinking that the 12-year-old paint in the living room looks a bit dingy - I think I'm in trouble!

• patriceny

Sea Salt is stunning in your room. Nice job.

Sea Salt is a bit of chameleon I think. I love the color and used it in a bathroom.....where it promptly turned minty toothpaste on me. It looks ok in my room, and I absolutely love it in your house.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked patriceny
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I'm actually surprised that it was successful in two of my rooms, in very different light situations at that. I have a feeling that it's more successful in rooms that have other rich colors in them to temper its hues, i.e. perhaps not a bathroom. With non-neutral colors such as Sea Salt it may be the complexity of other colors in the room that make them livable, at least for more timid souls like me.

• patriceny

That's interesting Ingrid, thanks. I have it in a bathroom that is mostly white, except for the Sea Salt on the walls - so you may be on to something. :)