Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tclick

wall above couch dilemma

Tamara Novak
4 years ago

I just bought this picture and would like to keep it above the couch. I feel it’s too small however for the space. Any ideas on what to put around the picture to make it appear more proportional?

Comments (38)

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    4 years ago

Depending on your style, here are several suggestions: iron wall decor, or mirrors, or framed prints picking up similar colors on either side of your picture.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Either get a larger picture or get a bigger frame and matting . Do you love the picture because to me you got it to match the furniture

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Just get something larger and enjoy that in another spot. By the time you mat and frame,, it still won't be big enough . Waste of money that could go to a larger piece.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

First, before you make any decisions, make sure the sofa is in the correct spot. I find that often it is not. If you show us more photos of the space, we can help with that.

Second, any art above a sofa should take up 2/3-3/4 the width of the sofa. Please do not add stuff to achieve that width. It takes away from the art.

Since you love the art, find another location for it.

• Tamara Novak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I will try to address questions so far.

My first thought was to get a larger piece of artwork as I agree that would look the best. I bought the artwork because the print and artist is special to my new husband and I want to make him feel at home. (I have a small home with limited places to displace art.).

Finally, the couch has to stay where it is. The room is actually a rather narrow enclosed patio sunroom. I had to move it there to make room for a huge leather reclining loveseat that took it’s place in my living room (also as a surprise to my hubby who is away in Africa at the moment).

It’s taken me hours to rearrange the living room (odd wall space). It’s looking great and I just have this left.
    Worst case scenario—the pic will have to go. Just hoping to make it work. Thanks again to everyone for the input.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Don't crowd the painting but let it stand alone. I would reframe it with matting. Depending on how special it is to your husband and the quality of the painting, I would get a gallery light to shine on it as well.

East Lakeview Residence · More Info

• Claudianne Young
    4 years ago

How about shelves, one on each side then add other special collectibles from your time together? Maybe tie it to the picture with a plate or glass object in the blue color. I could see small lanterns with timed battery candles, small faux succulent, small artwork, other horse related items etc. My other thought is to get molding and create a much larger frame on the wall then paint inside the area or use shiplap paper to create an interesting focal point. Then over time you might wish to add other things in this area.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Admirable endeavor!!!! ' Course we do know some ways to a mans heart. .....and how to make him feel at home. How does that pic look over the master bed.? :)

• aeglisson
    4 years ago

I like your print, but like it even more reframed with the matting.

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

Have a 3”-4” linen liner put around the picture, then pick a new frame.

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

Use natural linen or a winter white.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

You mentioned this is a print.

1) Was it framed when you bought it?

2) Did you buy this directly from the artist and it has value (example, numbered plate?)

3) If you bought this framed from a store or website, do they have larger sizes?

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

Is it worth 700-800 to reframe with mat etc...?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Yes, that is what I am trying to determine. Is this a one-of-kind piece or a production piece that could be found in a larger size. Nothing wrong either way, just looking out for your best interest..

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

https://www.timcox.com/products/coming-in-at-sundown?variant=4930566403

Apparently, there is only one size. Could buy at art.com for $37.50 and have it double matted to fit the space better.

https://www.art.com/products/p11736794-sa-i1219846/tim-cox-coming-in-at-sundown.htm

I triple matted the $37.50 print for you. The finished piece is 33 x 40. I'd get some blue and gold pillows (current ones you have are wrong blue) for the sofa.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

If it is a print that you can't justify having professionally matted/framed, there are a lot of custom frame/matting places online that have a DIY set that they send for a nominal price. I recently had a custom large frame/matting done through frameiteasy.com

• Tamara Novak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks guys. I am considering three options at this point: 1) adding sconces to each side; 2) re-matting, or 3) moving it elsewhere.

• Valinta
    4 years ago

In my last home I had a framed photo I loved and placed it in the powder room.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Depending on the size, you can sometimes buy a large pre-made frame, and have custom matting made for the print that fits that frame, for a very small fraction of the cost of custom framing. I would try that, or move the print.

• GeorgiaPeach 1970
    4 years ago

Looks like a Tim Cox print. I love his work and have a friend who works in his gallery.
    I think you should remat and add a more substantial frame.
    I like the idea of floating shelves on each side with complimentary accessories.

• GeorgiaPeach 1970
    4 years ago

Yes,that painting is titled "Coming In At Sundown "

• GeorgiaPeach 1970
    4 years ago

I think if you added accent pillows with some gold tones and pull out colors from the painting would be nice.

• Tamara Novak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Update: GeorgiaPeach: You are correct. It is a Tim Cox print. I bought them “used” locally off Craigslist. They were professionally framed with the rustic wood. I do agree they should have been matted. I say “they” as I bought two. I got a really good price on them. I’ve attached a couple pics where I’ve switched the pictures and put the larger of the two above the couch. I will be putting a black antique Asian style secretary desk on the empty wall below the smaller of the two pictures.

Again, the room is a narrow Arizona Room/enclosed patio which is roughly 12 feet wide and 20 feet long. I’ve attached a picture of the sconces I’m considering to go on each side of the picture above the couch.

Lastly, I still have not ruled out an oversized abstract picture appropriate for the area size. I have one above my Master Bed that I might switch. It’s just that I love it there, and feel like that it can be appreciated better there as the room is wider allowing for more distance to see it when entering the bedroom.

• partim
    4 years ago

Install a wood shelf about 6-8" above the back of the sofa, that's about 2/3 - 3-4 its length. Prop the picture on one side and put a small object to the right.

• GeorgiaPeach 1970
    4 years ago

There you go!! I like the bigger pic and add your sconces. They complement the style.
    Add pillows to bring out the colors in the painting. 2 large and 2 small.
    Try partim's suggestion of propping smaller pic on a shelf with items you like on the side.
    It will all be pleasing. Your mate will appreciate your decorating skills and thoughtfulness!

• calidesign
    4 years ago

The placement is perfect now that you switched walls on the artwork. Lower the smaller art about 6" so the middle of the art is eye level when standing. You don't need anything at all above the sofa with the larger art - keep it simple so the focus remains on the art.

• partim
    4 years ago

The sconces are not "solid" enough to do the job of widening the area. They will just look busy and distract from your wall art.

• Tamara Novak
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Here’s the pic currently above my Queen size bed in the master bedroom I’m considering moving above the couch. As mentioned earlier—I really like it above the bed—but can move it should all else fail. Lol. (I just bought a headboard not shown in the picture
  • partim
    4 years ago

Picture did not post.

• Tamara Novak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oops

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Yes, that is a more appropriate size for the sofa. A good "rule of thumb" for most situations is 5-5-75. Hang centered 5' above the floor, or 5" above furniture, and keep size within 75% of the furniture's width it hangs above.

• Irene Morresey
    4 years ago

Maybe some horse shoe art either side to balance it. Look online at Etsy. A thought

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I would keep all three pieces where they are currently. The two pieces in the living area are framed similarly and have the same subject matter. The landscape over the bed is restful and framed differently than the others, so I think it works well there. It's a little large but it looks fine without a headboard. If your new headboard is too tall for the art over the bed, move it directly across from the bed so you see it from there.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

What is the width of the seat back of the sofa? What is the width of the larger of the 2 tim cox art? What is the width of the art over the bed?

• Tamara Novak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

CDR Design: Couch is 76,” larger of Tim Cox print is 37” and art over bed is 62.”

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Thanks. The larger of the 2 Cox art is still too small for the sofa. At 80 percent of the sofa, the bed art would work well over the sofa. It would also work very well with either of the Cox art pieces.

I would need to know more about the width of the desk and bed to determine which art goes in which place.

The sofa art should be 5-7 inches above the sofa. Your current art there is too high.