1906 foursquare: Please help with room placement and space planning!

Andy L.
October 8, 2019

Hi everyone. I am really stuck on which way I should lay out the first floor dining and living/family room.

What I assume was the original dining room is covered with wainscoting and has original plate rails with builtins. It's a long room. My problem is I am not a formal kind of dining room person. This is my favorite room so I hate to almost waste it with a huge dining table because I feel like I will never utilize it. The former owners opened up the wall from dining to kitchen. A few years from now I would like to remodel the kitchen and this area.

I need a living area which includes a decent size television...as much as I don't want one, I have compromised on this as there is no other living or family room in the house. I don't want it very formal for that reason. It can look a little more formal but I want it to feel more comfortable and casual...

I am having a hard time figuring out the furniture layouts for both rooms! I have tried many different ways and just can't seem to get it right. As of right now I am thinking about a u shaped sectional/2 chaise sofa in the front room spanning the length along the front window. Maybe a round dining table at the window seat with an additional seating area in the dining room.

Any ideas?

I'll attach a rough floor plan and photos