Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_532368606

1906 foursquare: Please help with room placement and space planning!

Andy L.
4 years ago

Hi everyone. I am really stuck on which way I should lay out the first floor dining and living/family room.

What I assume was the original dining room is covered with wainscoting and has original plate rails with builtins. It's a long room. My problem is I am not a formal kind of dining room person. This is my favorite room so I hate to almost waste it with a huge dining table because I feel like I will never utilize it. The former owners opened up the wall from dining to kitchen. A few years from now I would like to remodel the kitchen and this area.

I need a living area which includes a decent size television...as much as I don't want one, I have compromised on this as there is no other living or family room in the house. I don't want it very formal for that reason. It can look a little more formal but I want it to feel more comfortable and casual...

I am having a hard time figuring out the furniture layouts for both rooms! I have tried many different ways and just can't seem to get it right. As of right now I am thinking about a u shaped sectional/2 chaise sofa in the front room spanning the length along the front window. Maybe a round dining table at the window seat with an additional seating area in the dining room.

Any ideas?

I'll attach a rough floor plan and photos

Comments (14)

• Andy L.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Sister Sunnie
    4 years ago

I dont have any suggestions BUT wanted to say your home is beautiful!!

Andy L. thanked Sister Sunnie
  • Andy L.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much! :)

• Andy L.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thinkdesignlive yay yay! thank you!...my first instinct was to place the dining in the front but I second guessed myself and thought it might be too far...but it would be used rarely. I think it would be very pretty in that room. I really like your layout in the other room. Thanks again!!!

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Your living/dining rooms are beautiful. Have you considered removing all or half of the two short half walls between them and opening up those two rooms to each other?

Are you going to use either or both fireplaces?

Since you're considering redoing the kitchen anyway, have you considered removing the fireplace in the front (dining) room and putting your kitchen there, giving you a really huge living and dining room space. across the back? That way, you could rebuild your kitchen the way you want it and you could use all those built in's in what is now the dining room as kitchen cabinets.

Andy L. thanked suezbell
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

I have a personal aversion to dining rooms that far from the kitchen, even if they aren't used. If you ever have a large group, or even a party with buffet-style dinner, having the dining that far away will be a huge pain.

I would simply reverse thinkdesignlive's rooms and put the TV on the wall to the right of the fireplace in the front room.

Andy L. thanked groveraxle
  • njmomma
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

Just have to say your house is gorgeous! Like some of the other posters I would suggest the dining room (if you are going to have one) would be better located next to the kitchen. If you don't need a dining room then think about the functions that you do need and how they can be accommodated in the long room. You can created different sitting area, you can make a breakfast room/family dining room, you can use a portion as an art gallery, etc.

Andy L. thanked Norwood Architects
  • mononhemeter
    4 years ago

Not a pro. Can you move the mirror to the fireplace in the dining room, and put the TV above the mantel in the front room? I have this mount (https://www.dynamicmounting.com/vertical-tv-wall-mount/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzLjNpImO5QIVUvDACh0T1wJEEAAYASAAEgL0g_D_BwE) so that I can have my TV above the fireplace but still have a proper viewing angle.

Andy L. thanked mononhemeter
  • PRO
    Styldod
    4 years ago

@Andy L. You have a beautiful house there! We've made a mockup of your rooms and shown how you could lay your furniture out. We definitely recommend keeping your dining close to your kitchen.Your dining room is large enough to accomodate a dining table as well as some seating by the window. You could also add another chair/ ottoman for more seating. As there aren't too many spots for your TV, we've placed it over the fireplace and created a seating area that can be used both formally and informally. We've also created another layout with a dining by the window seat for you here.You can add or replace furniture and move them around to create your own layouts in interactive 3D designs here and also render your own photo-realistic images!

Andy L. thanked Styldod
  • Andy L.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for the ideas. For some odd reason I could not reply on my mobile for the life of me. I had to get back to a desktop to type, is this a common problem?

Anyway, thank you! I am still stuck on the problem and made a decision that makes the design even more difficult. I bought a huge sofa that spans the length of the front living room where the large window is. I decided that yes, the dining room should be closest to the kitchen. I am thinking a round or rectangular dining table next to the window seat (utilizing the window seat) in the dining room along with a smaller seating area in that room. That's as far as I got though! I have no idea where to put the tv. I don't want to remove the mantels/mirrors as they are original and I do like them. Any other ideas?

• remodeling1840
    4 years ago

Before my DH built our dining room table, we used three drop leaf tables in the dining room. We could seat twelve, it was quite conducive to conversation, and I could play with table settings that were complimentary but not the same. I usually folded two against the walls and had one in the center of the room for everyday. Your room is so spacious, you could include two cozy chairs and a small table for cocktails before dinner in front of your wonderful fireplace, bringing out a drop leaf table for dinner. Taking a page from the 1700’s, my furniture moves often, different configurations for different times of the year or different dinners.

Andy L. thanked remodeling1840
  • Andy L.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, remodeling1840 , I think my space will take on the same idea