Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vani80

Mixed granite countertop colors

Vani Shukla
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We have picked Patagonia granite for the island (11'x5"). We want to have granite countertops in the periphery also. Please provide suggestions for light granite colors (white, beige) that would complement Patagonia. We do not want quartz, marble or quartzite in the periphery.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, if possible, please post with pictures.

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    4 years ago

Can you please provide a pic of the Patagonia granite slab you picked? This granite is very busy but slabs differ so seeing the one you chose can make a difference. In any case, for complementing it, consider Princess White or White Fantasy granite if you insist on granite. Personally, I would go with a pure white quartz slab to complement Patagonia and let it be the star of the kitchen. All granites naturally have movements, so it's best to pick a slab with a minimum movement.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    4 years ago

Depending on the overall color of your particular slab, you may want to go with a white or a beige granite on perimeter countertops. Alaska White, Bianco Romano, Colonial White, or Ivory Fantasy can match well. Just be aware that white marble has only white bedrock (base) and often swirls and flecks in a wealth of other colors. Make sure to compare your slab of Patagonia granite with slabs you like. Cabinet color and backsplash will also affect the overall look and result.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

NO. Just not a good idea. Pair with a simple solid quartz, or pick one granite. Or pair with an absolutely plain granite such as Absolute Black".........butcher block......anything but another granite with any amount of movement.

Nothing good can come from mixing two with any amount of pattern. specks , veining, swirls. NO. I hear what you "want" . Don't do it.

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

What Jan said. Also, what is your cabinet color?

• lucky998877
    4 years ago

Patagonia will be a great statement , and I love the colors in it. I would also keep the perimeter black if you have enough day light (any "white" granite will have too much movement)...unless you are doing dark cabinets. I'm sure you have seen these pictures already, but here is this magnificent stone with both black and white.

• eam44
    4 years ago

Well that's gorgeous. Honestly, I'd choose soapstone with very little veining for the periphery.

• kariyava
    4 years ago

If I were you, I would use that lovely stone throughout. If you can't for whatever reason, I can't think of a light granite that would appropriately compliment it -- I think you would have to go dark (black) on the perimeter if you want to stick with granite (like the picture above).

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I'd do the the stone for the island and white Corian for the perimeter.

• Vani Shukla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the slab we have picked.

We have dark cabinets.

I don't have a picture yet of our cabinets but I'm copying and pasting from internet stain similar to that of our cabinets.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Plain BLACK perimeter , or plain white. No veins!! Depends what you want for a backsplash and I'd keep it very simple. One major star to a show!!!

• lucky998877
    4 years ago

Your slab looks SO much like mine (different name of granite)! I'm doing the whole kitchen with 2 slabs....but I'm also doing 2 tone cabinets.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Plain black or white no movement in the stone.

• crystalpea
    4 years ago

I agree with something very plain with little to no movement.

Is there a reason you're not using the granite throughout your kitchen? Last one shows an almost medium stain that uses Alpinus Granite (similar looking to your slab) on the perimeter and the island. Can't find any examples that try to pull the cream/white from the granite.

Bull Mountain Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Cedar Heights Home Remodel · More Info

Stunning Family Room & Kitchen Renovation · More Info

Lakeside house · More Info

• Vani Shukla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Crystalpea, we need a slab 133" for the island and only one slab of Patagonia is available in that size currently. Therefore looking for a different granite for other counters.

• Vani Shukla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your ideas and comments. These are really helpful for us in the decision process.

I am posting side by side pictures of two granites. We like the granites individually but would the combination of these be crazy or could it work?

I am thinking the similar gray tones on these two could pull them together, at the same time providing the desired contrast ( light and dark) between the island and perimeter. I though to post it here to get your opinion also.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

NO NO NO Pick one

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

So important is the big fat no, I will dupe it. NO.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Get a subdued and plainer, classy Audrey Hepburn for the perimeter, to go with the Marilyn Monroe of ONE star in your show. Pick the star. Or let ONE star, star alone.. Otherwise ? Expect a big 'ol cat fight in your kitchen. With blood. : )

• Chessie
    4 years ago

Oh my gosh NO. What Jan says. Times TWO.

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

It's a "no" for me as well.

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

No. Pick one. Two different granite patterns will fight. In addition, the rusty coloration to the right in the lighter granite will make the fight worse.

• Jora
    4 years ago

Like yourself, my hubby and I were in love with the idea of two different (in our case) quartzite for the kitchen. Labradorite Blue for the island, and Dolce Vita for the remainder.

Posted here and all the pros (even non pros) said NO. We were sure everyone was wrong. They weren't. We ended up with one quartzite (Cristallo) for the whole kitchen, and very very glad we did.

My point is: Listen to the pros, even if you don't think they're right, because they are. Let's face it, that's why they're pros.

I'm not a pro, but even I can see that the two stones you picked (both beautiful), should not be put together in one space.

• megs1030
    4 years ago

Another vote for no. Both are stars and would compete and look chaotic. Choose one and either 1. install throughout or 2. pick a very plain stone for your surround.

• nini804
    4 years ago

Um, yeah, no. So much no. It would be dizzying. Pick one

• PRO
  • Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

Huge NO to the 2 different granites. There needs to be only one star in a kitchen. Sometime people want to put in every single thing they love. It’s like they can’t stop. The problem with that is they all compete against each other, and none will look good. The eye needs a rest in order to appreciate the beauty of the one item.

• PRO
  • Vani Shukla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input.
    Crystalpea, we looked at other Patagonia slabs (smaller in size) for perimeter but unfortunately they were very different from the one we picked for island.
    Putting two different granites is because of limited choices in large size slabs (island). We do not want a seam in the island. There was only single slab available of the one we liked.
    We are now trying to find black granite for perimeter.

• Vani Shukla
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Images and discussions on houzz has been an extremely important resource in designing our home. I really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences.
    I will update and post pictures in couple of months once house completed.
    Thanks again to all.

• kariyava
    4 years ago

Black's a good choice. I can't wait to see the final result!

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Find absolute black granite. It won't compete with that gorgeous stone.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

please look for a black granite.

you can go to my page, look under idea books, new build Gabe..and see what I choose ..2 different granite and 2 different cabinet/ island colors on Maple cabinets.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Absolute black granite, exists virtually EVERYWHERE. , most every stone yard : )