Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_770190251

Strange, hard growth on new rose

Hi guys, I was out in the garden this morning and noticed this strange, orange bump low down on a month old band. It’s hard to the touch and greenish on the inside. Any idea what this might be? I’ve never seen anything like it before.

Comments (13)

• sharon2079
    4 years ago

I think it is some kind of gall. I get this every once in awhile. I just break it off.

• Katherine Zone 7b Oklahoma
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I talked to the nursery it was ordered from, they said it was crown gall and to remove and dispose of the plant and the soil around it, which I’ve done.

Does anyone know how serious this issue is? I am getting mixed information regarding it. I have never seen this before, and am not placing blame on the nursery. I put these bands in the ground August 8 or 9, shortly after receiving them. Does it harm the overall health of the plant? Im reading it’s very contagious. Im super appreciative of any thoughts or advice on this.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

I have had a lump on two rose crowns and I broke them off, like Sharon said, and the plants continue along.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, I wish I had stopped a moment to let the panic subside before I yanked it out, but I did just what the nursery it was purchased from told me I should do. It was such a gorgeous little rose! It was supposed to be Jude the Obscure, but I’m not sure if it really was. It was vigorous as all get out and blooming its little heart out when I threw it in the trash bag. I feel like such a monster!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

It did act like a benign tumor on my roses, rifis, like a lipoma or sebaceous cyst.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sheila, you surely must be a doctor :)

Yes, I also have these growths occcur from time to time (no, not on me, but my roses, lol) and I just snap them off and destroy them.

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

Looks quite like a crown gall in your picture, as in like a little yellow brain. As you may have read the soil borne bacteria that causes the galls can be quite a nuisance for horticultural production operations, is definitely not something you want to get established on your site. It is believed to be favored by fine textured, clay type soils and is most seen on Euonymus fortunei and roses in my area. When coming out of the neck (crown) of the plant these galls can become quite large over time. Sections of old ones eventually become dark and discolored, thereby making them additionally grotesque.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Sheila is a doctor. You are correct, FrozeBudd. Diane

Original Author
    4 years ago

Rifis, we live in town and our trash and yard waste is handled by a company contracted though the city which owns a large dumping site. It’s essentially a landfill with no homes surrounding it for many miles and no chance for anything to be planted there for the foreseeable future. Still, I dumped some of the bleach I was using to sterilize tools into the bags of soil I was disposing of at the time as I wasn’t sure how serious the bacteria was and didn’t want to accidentally spread it to someone unwitting in case the bags split open or something unforeseen happened as he truck was carrying it to the landfill. I don’t know if that helped but I felt like I needed to do something. You never know. A friend helped me get the bags of soil into the bin as they were quite heavy, as you can imagine.

On another note, it’s quite depressing staring at the large empty hole with no chance of replanting it until next season. The nursery advised me to not plant another rose there, and as it’s a brand new section of the rose garden my plan for that entire area has been turned on it’s head and I’m not sure what to do.

I’ve got the sads about it and this cold weather has me feeling under the weather anyway. I’m sure my creative brain will switch to “on” eventually and I’ll come up with a plan, after all you have to roll with the punches quite a bit in the garden. But right now I’m feeling a little bit Oscar the Grouch about the whole thing.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago

Sorry, Katherine! That is frustrating. Hopefully you can re-plant that area in the spring.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I hope so, Cyn! I removed quite a lot of soil from around the band and hope because it was fairly young I have removed any soil that might have been contaminated with any bacteria. I was careful to get absolutely all of the roots and anything that looked like the original potting medium that came with the plant. The nursery advised to wait a few years to plant a rose in the same spot. They suggested popping a perennial in that spot, but you know how it goes...that spot was for a rose in my mind! Oh well. We’ll see how gutsy I am in the spring. I definitely don’t want crown gall to get established here. I have a pipe dream of selling cut flowers someday at the Farmer’s market with my girls.

• linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ)
    4 years ago

I'm so sorry Katherine that you had to dig up your rose because of the gall! Especially I can relate to the sadness that came afterwards regarding the likelihood you have to change your design of that bed. But kudos to you for being so meticulous and considerate when disposing the soil around that rose; most people may not take that extra step to make sure accidental contamination through leakage in transit to the landfill doesn't occur.

While it's sad to stare at the hole in your garden knowing you can't realistically plant anything this late in the season, but from a different perspective, the colder months are coming, and that means we can start dreaming and planning about what we can do with our flower beds and more importantly do whatever research needed to perfect them. So here is the very best of luck to the version 2 of your gardening plan!