skateboardcow

Cost to fabricate and install quartz: $3,950 labor?

Mittens Cat
October 9, 2019

Just got first quote to fabricate and install our Pental Super White quartz. $3,950 for labor. I thought that sounded a little high for quartz (my understanding is it's easier to fabricate than natural stone). We have a 9.5 x 3.5' island plus 26" x 126" counter along the wall. No fancy requests as far as I can tell. Installer comes highly recommended by our GC, but I wonder if we're getting "high end neighborhood" pricing. Thoughts? Thanks.

• live_wire_oak

Thats right around $55 a square foot for fabrication after the under mount sink fee and edging fee are subtracted our. Pretty ballpark for mid grade stone risks fees. The higher the material costs, the higher the fabrication fee. Total should be in the $100 a square range. No, it’s not easier. In many ways it’s harder. You can burn the resin if you use the wrong tools or rpm.

Mittens Cat thanked live_wire_oak
  • sushipup1

Have you priced other materials? Our leathered Black Mist granite was $2999 for a slab including material and all fabrication and installation. How many slabs would you use?

Mittens Cat thanked sushipup1

Quartz Countertop Installed - Sanding Marks Everywhere - Normal?

Someone went home 40 minutes early, or used the wrong pad. These stone guys go through grinders like kleenex. Could be the tools just crapped out that day. Must of the crews I work with hook up water liens to the grinders and free hand most of that work. Sometimes they use machines for harder profiles. I have never seen marks like this in any stone job of mine for 15 plus years. My guess is that a new guy used to abrahisve of a grit for one of the first passes and the work to buff them out was too much.

HELP! Contractor installed scratched Quartz counter

Appreciate the support! I'll be reporting to the BBB. I've also reached out to a few local stone companies to get their opinions on whether in their professional view they believe the repair done by ACE Quartz was done within industry standard and represents quality workmanship. So far, they believe ACE should remedy the situation given their technician (who apparently had 27 years experience) did the damage. I don't believe what I was left with represents quality. ACE gave me a sample of what a repair would look like before they worked on repairing my counter. The sample did not have any holes or shrunken residue. I still have the sample with me. Wonder if there are means of consumer protection - have never had to deal with such an issue so more research required on my end. Any suggestions welcome. New counters don't deserve to have holes. Good luck on your counters!

Average cost of pental quartz (thassos white) countertops - installed

Where you live will DRAMATICALLY influence the cost of materials and labor. Your zip/town/state would REALLY help. As much as HALF the cost is due to your zip. Without your zip, we are guessing.

Fair Quote for Quartz Countertop Installation?

No. He's not charging enough. He isn't making any money at that price and won't be in business long. He won't be around to handle any warranty issues. Also, is he actually certified by DuPont? At the price you were quoted, I'm thinking color lookalike from China rather than actual stamped on the back Ceasarstone. .
  • emilyam819

Who cares what the labor price is... what’s the total price and how does that compare to other materials or other fabricators?

• calidesign

Get another quote if you aren't sure, but usually you would get a total price for labor and the material.

• Michelle

That price should include fabrication, materials, and installation. If my math is right you have 56 ft^2 to purchase. You're paying a good price for quartz. I have about 27 ft^2 and I was quoted about $2500 before tax for Pental Quartz Cappuccino, much more per square foot! I ended up going with a granite that looked like it. lol

• oldryder

I am a fabricator. If that price excludes material then it is quite high. If that's installed price inc. material then reasonable for my upper Midwest area.

"The higher the material costs, the higher the fabrication fee" - this statement is at least somewhat inaccurate; the large majority of the materials used for countertops take the same effort to fabricate and install so for many shops the price differences reflect variations in raw material cost per sq. ft. inc waste plus a common number for fab/install. However, there are materials like quartzite that require SUBSTANTIALLY more fab time so the price reflects the higher raw material cost PLUS a higher fab/install number.

Also; quartz is definitely easier to fabricate than most natural materials. While it is possible to burn the resin while polishing an edge that normally is only an issue with inexperienced shop personnel. Once a shop person knows how to polish quartz he will tell you quartz is among the easiest materials to finish edges and sink cutouts. The burn issue becomes a problem when trying to repair damage to a polished quartz surface. It takes an uncommon level of skill to grind out a scratch or heat damage in a quartz surface and then restore the factory polish to the flat surface.

• chocolatebunny123

If you have around 56 sq ft, then that price sounds similar to what I paid. We paid a little over $4,000 total for materials (Hanstone), removing the old laminate counters, and fabricating and installing the new ones. I think we had 46 sq ft.

Mittens Cat thanked chocolatebunny123
  • Harry Doyle

Quartz is also the "must have" material right now, so some places charge accordingly.

• Mittens Cat

Thanks all.

FWIW, we are in coastal SoCal and the $3,950 does not include the material. I ordered two slabs of Pental Super White for total of $1,530 and it's being sent to fabricator. It's an all new kitchen, so there was nothing for him to remove first.

We're doing "European style" counter edges (or at least that's how our kitchen cabinet maker described it), so not sure if that has any effect on price.

The price seemed high to me because I'd thought that fabrication typically is the same cost as the materials, or sometimes more costly if the material is quartzite (because of quartzite's harsh wear on blades).

In any case, a childhood friend of mine who sells tile checked with her people yesterday and they all agreed it was on target with fabrication costs in our area. Another gripe bites the dust! :)

The Kitchen Place

We price a bit differently here (Midwest Ohio)....it's purchased installed with material. For a fabricator stocked quartz - 55SF, price is $4615 M+L. For a non-stock color it could easily go up to $5-$6k.....And you are paying $5480 M+L in a more expensive/higher overhead area of the country.

Mittens Cat thanked The Kitchen Place
  • millworkman

And honestly his fabrication and installation pricing will be a it higher anyway as he is not making money on the material. Remember if he will be replacing the stone if he screws up. And he is making nothing on the material.

Mittens Cat thanked millworkman
  • Mittens Cat

Thanks! I appreciate the insights from someone who understands the trade (as I'm obviously clueless).

And now that I think about it...as far as warranty etc. goes, would it have made more sense to buy the material from him directly? I hadn't thought of that. His price was actually a bit higher than the store I got it from. But since the salesperson at the store is an old friend (who's been helping me for months) I didn't want to cheat her out of her commission.

The Kitchen Place

I'm not sure how warranties go when it's purchased separately. There is probably a material warranty covered by the quartz manufacturer (ie Pental). And the install warranty is by the fabricator (individuals and companies all have different warranties when it comes to labor). I find it's always best to buy the materials from whomever is installing it..... because there is less finger pointing if something goes wrong. If I were you, I would be there when they deliver the tops and inspect them prior to install. If a chip or crack happens....it's good to know who's responsible.

Mittens Cat thanked The Kitchen Place
  • Mittens Cat

Thanks! I've already paid for the materials, so that mouse has left the mouse hole, but I will definitely be there to inspect before install. Thanks for the nudge! (Any other nudges appreciated!)

• Helen

For whatever reason, in Southern California one purchases stone or other materials from the stone yard or supplier and then hires the fabricator to do the installation. They pick up the stone at the stone yard and the installation price is separate from the price of the materials.

This method has been discussed on several threads and it is different than in other places where the stone and installer are a package dealer - e.g. you hire a fabricator who directs you to a stone yard.

While I imagine that one might find places in Southern California that don't follow this model, everyone I know purchases materials and hires installers as separate transactions. There are certain areas in the Valley which are essentially stone yard after stone yard.

I have no idea whether or not the price is too high - it appears to be in the ball park. I just finished a gut remodel in Los Angeles and went with all of the trades people recommended by my GC. They all did a great job as did he and were there (as was he) to deal with the inevitable minor glitch. To me, it is worth some extra money to have peace of mind in terms of quality of labor.

Mittens Cat thanked Helen
  • Mittens Cat

Thanks Helen. I thought the same, but apparently this fabricator is able to get whatever material people want, which is why my GC was surprised I was buying it from my tile seller friend. (He was doubly surprised to hear her price was lower than the fabricator's!).

Also, I'm told this fabricator is among the few in our area who has really big bucks equipment ($1 million worth?) so perhaps he pulls a bit more weight in the local industry than other fabricators. Who knows.

• flopsycat1

Mittens, Just returned from SoCal. If there’s anything I’ve learned, it‘s that it sure costs to live there. BTW, love your cabinets, and await pics of the completed project.

• Helen

@Mittens - It appears all has been settled to your satisfaction.

I am confused since it appears that you went the traditional way in SoCal - purchased stone and then hired fabricator. Not sure how "clout" enters into it. I technically purchased my slabs through my designer and was charged her markup on her wholesale prices. I was just so happy to find a marble I fell in love with at the second stone yard - and they were willing to let me select the exact slab from the lot although technically it was one of five that was being "reserved" LOL that I just accepted everything as a done deal and moved on to new worries - with a gut remodel one would literally have an exploding head if one didn't just accept the roller coaster :-).

ETA - You didn't ask but I wanted to add a comment on your walnut cabinets. When everything was being installed in sections, I really second guessed my choices. I remember when the Calacatta tile for my bathroom was installed (there was nothing else), I freaked out because all the brown and gray looked weird to me. My designer assured me that once everything was done and it all tied together, it would look great - and it does.

Mittens Cat thanked Helen
  • Mittens Cat

@Helen, LOL! exploding heads and rollercoasters and way too many wide awake stints from 3 am to dawn--what fun it all is!

Sorry for not being clear. Yes I ended up going the conventional route ordering countertops from tile store but I meant that our fabricator often does the unconventional route and sells the material himself. Actually, now that i think about it, he's probably not selling it himself. He's probably buying from a store and selling it to customers. OK, enough of that.

And THANK YOU for the kind reassurance--always appreciated! :)

• Helen

@Mittens - I have now moved on to new issues for my head to explode about LOL in terms of ordering furniture.

I ordered a chest for decorative storage and the doors fell off after having been opened about four or five times. I had it about two weeks and opened it about three or four times because I wanted to measure interior to get some organizations "boxes" for the interior and was waiting for those to arrive from The Container Store - and when those did and I opened the door, it fell off.

• Mittens Cat

OMG, wouldn't it be easier to live in a cave and spend all our money on gourmet takeout!!