Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaron_dill

Kitchen Dilemma - Lots of Doors, Pine Cabinets, Big Window

Aaron Dill
4 years ago

We're moving into a new kitchen that still has it's original, hand-built pine cabinets (which have some charm), but with a terrible layout. The fridge is next to the stove, which you can see in the photo. Without moving any walls (which we're trying to avoid, what would you do? One wall of the kitchen is an opening into the entry way, a pantry, and a basement door - I tried to make a vector layout. Each square is half a foot.

It's a brick house and the window on the left of the photo is the front of the house, so changing the height of the window sill isn't a good option.

Our first choice would be to use the existing cabinets, but we're open to painting, new cabinets, new appliances, or something else. What do you think?

Comments (13)

• course411
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That's an awkward space. If you don't want to move walls, I don't think you have any chance of improving the layout without running a counter across the window wall. You can google some images where people have done that without changing windows with lower sills.

• Aaron Dill
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@course411 We considered that - maybe moving the sink to a freestanding style counter/cabinet in front of the window. If the sink were in front of the window, we could move the stove to where the sink is now, then add more counter to where the stove is now.

Maybe something like one of these:

• cpartist
    4 years ago

While it's bad, it's not the worst I've seen. Live with the kitchen for a year and get a feel for what you want to do.

• Aaron Dill
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@decoenthusiaste There's definitely some other issues with the house we're addressing :)

We have some extra original, matching hinges in the basement from more built-in cabinets that used to be in another room, so we might be able to put together something like the 2nd sink photo, with matching hardware. Well, we wouldn't be able to, but we could look for a creative cabinet maker.

• Kendrah
    4 years ago

If a stove were centered on the counter space to the left of the sink, between the wall and sink, could you move the dishwasher to the direct right of the sink, still facing and opening the way it does now without hitting the fridge? If so, I would do that and then have the counter wrap around to the fridge covering the area where the stove is currently located. That would give you space on either side of the stove, a dishwasher that is right next to the sink for easy loading, and a bit of extra counter space extending where the stove is currently living.

I agree that the cabinets are charming. I think the sink in front of the window would look a bit strange - like the appliances and sink have all crowded into a room together with on real built in place for them.

• lmckuin
    4 years ago

Can you post a picture of the other side? Can you close off the door to the entry and just go through dining room? You could then open up the pantry and have another wall for cabinets.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Anything is possible.

Stone · More Info

• Aaron Dill
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@lmckuin Closing off the door to the entryway is definitely a possibility (I don't have a photo of that wall, but I can work on that). That would give us enough wall to put the fridge there. The stove could then be moved to the center of the wall it's on now.

We've talked about sticking the fridge into the entryway door, just to try and see how it feels to have that opening blocked off. When people arrive (us or guests), they often head right to the kitchen. It may feel weird to have to walk through the living room and dining room to get to the kitchen. But blocking that doorway would add a lot of possibilities.

Something like this:

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO it depends on your style as far as keeping the cabinets.I do agree to live in the space a bit before deciding what to do. If you post an actual to scale drawing of the space marking windows and doorways as many measurements as possible . I agree that closing off the one entry would be a good idea but only if it makes sense after living in the space for awhile .Also is the plumbing able to be moved lots of info is good.I would start by living without the table in the kitchen for sure.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Painting those cabinet will be a LOT of work unless you don't mind the knots showing through. Frankly, they're not worth it.

Yes, live there and see how this works. It's pretty awful and awkward.

• Aaron Dill
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@course411 Keeping in mind that I'm no architect, those drawings I posted are to scale, based on measurements taken. The small, light gray squares are 6" and the larger, darker gray squares are 1'.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

The knots can be a feature. It would take a lot of prep, but simply whitewashing the cabs after all the gunk and shellac are removed could be very pretty. I believe you can seal the knots so they don't bleed through so much.