Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

Heads up for bark mulch users. Artillery Fungus!!!

Babka NorCal 9b
4 years ago

All my hostas are in pots. Over the years I have potted them with a lot of mini bark for drainage with great success. Recently I saw these dark dots (like fly specks) on my stucco, and on a few plant leaves and my sliding glass doors, and even up under the eaves of my house in an area about 10' square. I thought they were some kind of insect poop or eggs. They can be scraped off the glass with a razor blade, but not the vinyl window frames or stucco, even with magic eraser.

Turns out they are artillery fungus spores. They do NOT harm the plants, but they can shoot those spores out 15 to 20 FEET. I found the two nearby potted hosta plants that had the fungus. Tossed a very heavily infested Aristocrat, but tried to save Fire and Ice by washing off all the soil and soaking it in 10% bleach and repotting. Didn't take photos, but if you google artillery fungus you will see that it lives in wood mulch, and can shoot those spores all over light colored house siding and wreck the finish of a light colored car parked in the driveway up to 20 feet away! Nothing removes the dots, they stick like tar. Never had this problem before. There is no cure. Here are what the dots look like (click the green link)

The fungus itself looks like clusters of very tiny yellow seeds.

Always something new. Been growing hostas for over 30 years. Getting tired.

-Babka

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

Artillery fungi usually feed on wood mulch but aren't much interested in bark products. But any kind of organic material is fair game. These pesky organisms will even grow and feed on old wooden benches, siding, old window frames, etc. I had the devil of a time figuring out how a woman's car kept getting splattered while it was parked in her garage. I finally found the tiny mushrooms happily growing on the unpainted window casings of her old, out of repair garage.

My usual suggestions included switching to pine park nuggets or (better) pinestraw. A light top dressing of bark or pinestraw on top of the wood mulch can greatly help, too. I hate to recommend stone products but that would completely solve the problem.

As for removing those sticky periodoles (spore packets), no one has been able to solve that issue, can you believe it? Best idea so far is to scrape them off or use a power washer, then come back with the magic eraser after the periodole surface has been scraped off somewhat. The magic eraser can remove the stain left behind.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

wonder if you could sterilize it .. before use... and kill the spores???

back in the day.. i got a dollar store turkey pan .... dampened media ... covered with alum foil .... made a few holes ... and heated it in the oven until steam started coming out ... i figured steam at 212 degrees was probably overkill... but good enough ...

it amused me.. the worlds biggest peat based jiffy pop ... lol ...

took me weeks to use up what i had sterilized ....

its always easier.. to avoid a problem ... as compared to curing a problem ....

ken

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I had been using bagged ($$) "Orchid Bark" which I assumed was fungus free. Assume nothing!!! Many homes around here use wood mulch/bark products in their yards and this could have come from anywhere, and those airborne spores happily found a home in a damp hosta pot that has decaying bark. The little yellow mushrooms are smaller than mustard seeds.

-Babka

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

i used to suffer thru fungus gnats.. growing under lights in winter ....

until i started sterilizing EVERYTHING ... my idea was.. if i started as a sterile operating room .... then i could limit or avoid a lot of problems.. like gnats.. algae ... etc ...

so in fall.. i started with the light rack.. then the pots.. then the tools.. then the media ... and then cleaning the seed because the wings might carry stuff ....and the watering pots .... and water jugs.. since i wanted room temp water .... etc.. etc ...

and then repotting soil ...

ken

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

I am happy I have a brick house.......can’t see them if they are there.

Ken —- do you use straight bleach to disinfect?

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    4 years ago

Sorry to hear about the fungus Babka. I hope you will be able to get rid of it.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

First time I'm hearing about this. I've got lots of moist wood mulch all over the place and never thought about anything like this happening. Sorry that this showed up at your place, Babka.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Me too! The fungus won't hurt your plants, but keep an eye out for tiny, stuck tight dark brown dots on light colored things and then go looking at any decaying wood. I have lived in this house since the mid 70's with and this is my first experience with it. Hopefully it will be my last.

-Babka