linnea56chgo5b

Northern IL: Lily bulb sale Oct 19-20 2019 at Chicago Botanic Garden.

Hosted by the Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society. Our ONLY sale of the year will be at the Chicago Botanic Garden on Saturday and Sunday, October 19 and 20, from 10.00 AM to 5.00 PM on Saturday, and from 10.00 AM till we sell out on Sunday. You will find unique varieties, not available in stores, from the best US specialist growers. Plus, enthusiastic, knowledgeable members will be on hand to answer your questions on planting and culture.

Extra care was taken this year to find inexpensive bulbs. That helps gardeners to stretch their budgets and still buy both early-and late-blooming bulbs to extend their lily season. You will find that bulbs from the top breeders are much bigger, fresher, and better in quality than those found at big box stores: giving you superior beauty and more flowers. Larger bulbs produce more buds. And, because the Society buys in bulk, even specialist unique bulbs sell for LESS than the quality catalogs.

Look for us in the Regenstein Education Center, where the Daffodil Society will also sell bulbs; and The Midwest Fruit Explorers will have their annual tasting, show, and sale of apples. It will be a great opportunity! Hope to see you there!

• perennialfan275

When you say "lilies", are you talking about daylilies, asiatic lilies, oriental lilies, or something else (or all of the above??)? Just curious.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked perennialfan275
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

this link: https://www.facebook.com/WisconsinIllinoisLilySociety

says this:

It’s almost here! In a week....The Lily Bulb Sale!

Our biggest lily bulb sale of the year will be at the Chicago Botanic Garden on Saturday and Sunday, October 19 and 20, from 10.00 AM to 5.00 PM on Saturday, and from 10.00 AM till we sell out on Sunday. You will find unique varieties, not available in stores, from the best US specialist growers. Plus, members will be on hand to answer your questions on planting and culture.

Look for us in the Regenstein Education Center, where the Daffodil Society will also sell bulbs; and The Midwest Fruit Explorers will have their annual tasting, show, and sale of apples. It will be a great opportunity!

==>>>> must be really bored.. to research it.. lol ... ken

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

A lily bulb sale will typically refer to plants of the genus Lilium, or true lily. Daylilies, despite their common name, are not lilies at all (in the asparagus family) and do not form bulbs. They are fleshy rooted perennials.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)

Our club is devoted to the genus Lilium. True lilies. We are selling asiatic lilies, oriental lilies, trumpet lilies, a few species lilies, and a few other divisions / categories.

Sorry if I was not clear when I posted. I originally posted in the Lily forum, then Houzz suggested a couple of other forums, and I added those, not thinking that I should consequently alter my post to clarify.

These IS a Daylily Society too; they have their sale in the spring. I don't belong to that one though I've bought at their sale.

The confusion between DAYlilies (Hemerocallis) and true lilies (Genus Lilium) gets frustrating. Really wish there were not so many plants that used "Lily" in their names. From "Lily of the Valley" to "Peace Lily", a houseplant. And it is guaranteed that someone coming to our table during the sale will say, "Lilies! I hate those things. Ugly strappy leaves. Taking over my yard", and ask how they can get rid of their 'ditch lilies' (Hemerocallis fulva), and are we available to come dig them up. We can even have them! For FREE!

I know it's a long shot posting our sale here: but we did have someone from southern WI who saw it last year and decided to time their planned trip to the botanic garden for that weekend. They bought 35 bulbs. Yay!

Here is a list of what we are offering: we have a new president and she opted for variety. So when it's gone, it's gone. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what division all of these are in. But they are from a top lily bulb breeder.

List of Lily Bulbs

12 Royal Sunset

6 Pink Snowflake

13 Silk Road

3 Captain Kidd

3 Red Velvet

3 Brushstroke

3 Big Bang

3 Easy Dance

3 Forever Susan

1 Ariadne

3 Iona

3 Landini

3 Liberty Hyde Bailey

3 Midsummer's Eve

3 Pink Brush

3 Tiger Babies

3 Heart Strings

3 White Henryi

3 Miss Feya

3 Triumphator

3 Summer Palace

3 Black Beauty

1 Ice Follies

3 Leslie Woodruff

1 Martagon Claude Shride

3 Miss Libby

3 Casa Blanca

3 Scheherazade

3 Regal Album

3 Conca d'Or

3 Dunyazade

3 Avonlea

3 Blackstone

3 Forever Linda

3 Mystery Dream Bonesta

3 Pink Planet

3 L. Regale

3 Apricot Fudge

3 Nightrider

3 Henryi

6 Heartstrings

2 Easy Dreams

10 Distant Drums

18 London Heart

18 Pink Brush

12 Polar Star

1 Bag of 10 Bulbs Oriental Mix

1 Hall of Fame Collection

• perennialfan275

Thank you for clearing this up linnea56. I assumed you were referring to plants in the lilium genus, but unfortunately there are a lot of plants that are collectively referred to as "lilies", and so I wasn't sure if you were talking about those plants as well.

Also, I'd like to point out that you still have to pay to enter the gardens (in addition to the cost of the plants). So when you factor that in, are you really saving any money at all?

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)

The admission issue has always been something we have considered. Yet when we have had bulb sales at other free venues they were not successful. The garden technically has a PARKING fee and not an admission fee. For that reason many people will park at a nearby shopping mall and bike over.

Many of the customers are either already a member, or belong to a different garden on the Reciprocal Gardens List (That's the case for me). I've seen a wide variety of gardens by utilizing that list.

https://www.ahsgardening.org/gardening-programs/rap/find/statebystate

The sale is intentionally timed for a busy weekend at the garden when many people would choose to come anyway. If it were a stand-alone event it would not be successful.

• bella rosa

I'm really wanted to attend this sale, but I had a busy weekend. What do you do with unsold bulbs? Are those for sale?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked bella rosa
  • dbarron

I would strongly expect, there are NO unsold bulbs.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)

I'll have to ask our new president if any are left. Are you local to the sale, bella rosa?

I worked Saturday and was not there on Sunday. Our previous x 2 president (who passed away last year) had a bulb refrigerator to save bulbs for spring sales. No one has one now.

• bella rosa

I live in NW Illinois. Can you save bulbs in a refrigerator? I have a few daffodil bulbs that I didn't plant. I'm pretty sure I met the previous president - was that Woody? He was very nice. I attended one of his lecture at the botanic garden.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)

You can still plant them, bella rosa. It's not too late for where you are. I for one have not done ANY of my bulb planting yet! It's been too wet to dig. Hope to try some today.

• bella rosa

I might try as well. I think it's supposed to be 45 degrees today. I'll take it!

Did you ever find out what happens to the bulbs that weren't sold from the lily sale?

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)

Yes, I asked. She is selling them to people she hopes will bring a stem to our annual show / competition. We did not get enough entries : I guess people thought it was an awful year for lilies and theirs were not up to snuff. But NOBODY had a good year and the competition was not that great.

I can ask again but I don't know how you could arrange to get them. Why don't you PM me and I'll send you her email address? Maybe you could work something out.