Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_t666666

Want a pretty, blue kitchen, PLEASE HELP!

M T
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My kitchen needs A LOT of help.

A little background info: we have two young kids and 2 dogs. We want to work with what we have, which is a traditional style house with a small closed in kitchen that has the potential to be pretty and charming and not focus on what we do not have, which is a large, open concept that is great for entertaining. Our floor plan is not set up to knock down walls. I enjoy baking and cooking elaborate recipes and want space to do that. Our kids eat breakfast at the stools at the counter and we use our dining room for dinner. With a smaller, closed kitchen we opted to do a large counter work space instead of a kitchen breakfast nook since we couldn't do both. The only update we made to our kitchen was adding the island which is 8' x 4' and has a lot of storage on the side not pictured.

Right off the bat, I know we want to:

- All new appliances (dishwasher, double oven, range and hood)

- redo the ceiling in shiplap or just drywall, it was done in beadboard and the contractor did a very poor job

- get rid of grey walls

- replace lower cabinet doors and paint along with fresh paint for island, navy blue or light blue/grey

- white counters with grey veining

- add pretty antique brass hardware

- farmhouse sink

- replace window with black paned glass

- replace outdated microwave and oven with a double over (we have new microwave on other side of island)

-pretty oven and new vent (LOVE the pretty French ones or a similar look)

I am stuck on cabinets. WWYT?

- I had originally planned to paint white and replace doors for upper cabinets. Now I am considering knocking all upper cabinets and doing a full white backsplash in subway tile (or similar) and doing floating open butcher block shelves to possibly open up the space and be easier to find things.

We have matching glasses, all white Williams Sonoma dishes and bowls and pretty matching Le Creuset pieces I would display on the shelves. Any mismatched pieces, like random mugs and tupperware, would be stored in lower cabinets or our massive walk in pantry. It was not something I had originally considered but I want to put the idea of open shelving out there because it might keep us more organized and open the space. It also would save a significant amount that would be spent on new cabinets so we could use the money for nicer updates in the space.

HELP PLEASE!! (photos to follow)

Comments (54)

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much Maria.. Do you mean the cabinet doors? YES, we will definitely be painting the cabinet and cabinet doors! Should we paint the white door in the kitchen as well? We would update it but I didn't consider doing it a color, but could!

I am also slightly leaning towards soft blue-grey. I don't think we will be selling our home anytime soon because I know people will suggest white for resale.

I was thinking if we did open shelving we would keep the upper cabinets above the microwave/oven combo (which will be a double oven) and above the refrigerator. Knock everything else down and put in a pretty range vent and open shelves above sink and counters.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

You're focused on the look versus function. What's your budget? Are you replacing appliances? Are you happy with the existing? Do you want a hood? Etc!!! I ask, because I doubt very much you can fully open that left side fridge door:)

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, we are doing all new appliances except for the refrigerator which is 1 year old. Sorry I should have mentioned that.

Stainless steel likely..

double oven

dishwasher

new range + hood

farmhouse sink

• User
    4 years ago

Does the fridge function as it should? I ask because it looks as if the wall would restrict the opening of the left door.

• Maria M.
    4 years ago

@MT, you should leave the door into the kitchen the same color as the other doors and trim in that part of the house. It doesn't need to match the cabinets.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I wouldn't knock out all of your uppers. that's a lot of storage you're loosing. plus, everything gets really dusty and greasy. those photos look really pretty, but for a busy family, it's impractical. you will literally be washing everything once a week.

like this one.

what you could do is take down one of the uppers by the sink window and put shelves there and put in glass in the other upper cabs (on the left) and display your thing behind glass doors.

I just had my cabinets refaced w/shaker, and everything was painted. they came out great. I had a pro painter do my cabinets (i prob have double what you have), and while it wasn't cheap (i had some other modifications done as well) it was only another 2K to get all new door/drawer fronts. you could get the same type to match your island.

I'd prob redo the wall oven. get yourself a double wall oven and push that one back (if you can)

maybe get a custom hood vent (I had my micro moved and the cabs above stove removed for a custom hood)

I love the colors they did here. you could reverse and do the lighter soft blue gray on the perimeter cabs, and the darker one on the island. then do the blue/gray subways.

For you ceiling, maybe look into something a bit wider, or bring in an actual wood headboard

glass uppers, shelving and new hood

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The fridge is a little tight. I might consider moving it over a little bit. It works ok, but as you can see it is a little restrictive.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Does anyone think we should knock that wall space down (the random 1 foot of grey wall) and bring either shelves or cabinets up to the top? Is it worth the expense to do so? (Home is 2500 square feet, worth around $800k) I want to be careful not to overenovate for improvements we would never see a return for if we did sell the home but at the same time we also plan to stay here for a while.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

MT, you'd have to see if that soffit holds any of your HVAC or plumbing.

if not, you could build on boxes the go over the uppers

or your shelving, that you won't be able to really reach!

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Beth, does it typically? Thank you, I wasn't sure what that space was called.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

soffits were done to eat up space (rather than having large open gaps above cabinets) or they concealed running ductwork . (sometimes in older homes they had pipes and drains that would run vertically through them)

you could punch a little hole in one and take a look

where are your vents located? that should give you a clue too.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vents are on ceiling!

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

I also have a closed kitchen - and smaller than yours:) If I had opted to paint my cabinets, I would have done similar to your idea or white uppers and wood lowers - getting new doors. Since my cabinets are in good shape I just kept them. I did change to a wood hood.

I bought an unfinished hood and stained it to match my cabinets. This will be easier if you are painting. You will also need to buy a liner for the hood and a vent insert. Since I stained the hood myself I saved a little and my total cost was about $1000 - for a 30" hood / vent / install. I used a very simple hood. If you remove cabinets, you might want to go slightly wider than your range as that is now recommended. I purchased my unfinished hood, (which came with a liner - may have to purchase separately) and vent through Kitchensource, but there are other places.

I went with the Kohler "short apron" Whitehaven apron front sink - and I love it. It is the same in the inside as the "tall apron" but can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet. This saved quite a bit of $, but be sure you are happy with the short apron look. Otherwise, you will need to change out the sink base cabinet for a farm sink base cabinet - or have a carpenter attempt to modify your present cabinet and make new shorter doors, or do a curtain.

If you have plenty of storage, I am with removing some of the uppers and I would have considered that if I had more storage and a pantry as you do. I am short and really can't use my top shelves much and sometimes even struggle with the middle shelves. Many will say "No" because it is extra work to have open shelves, but, that is your decision. I did similar in my basement kitchenette because I had no upper cabinets to use. I would not overdo the shelving - just open wall space is good too - and possibly a bit of pretty art included. Another option is to change out some cabinets to glass doors or as I did, retrofit a plate rail.

My kitchen is more vintage / cottage, but you can see the hood - mine is simple and a bit old fashion French Country - and the short apron Whitehaven (36") sink.

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854029

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854052

My kitchenette (done on a strict budget for under $1000) is also not the style you seek, but it has a mix of shelving, art and a curtained sink base - without an apron front sink, but similar to the idea:

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~65270573

If you do remove uppers around the window, check if it is possible, design and budget wise, to put in a bigger widow. On shelves, consider using only the lowest for items you use frequently and save the upper shelves for decor. This will mean only the lowest will need a lot of upkeep. I did this in my kitchenette.

Do put in under cabinet lighting - it is the best thing I did - especially between the sink and stovetop if you do not remove the cabinets. Otherwise, make sure that area has good lighting as it is a major prep area.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

A "range" gives you one oven. Why another two? Or you mean a microwave and an oven? Get a PRO in there. The existing island appears too large for the space, lacking adequate traffic clearance. A lot of planning goes into a great kitchen. No matter the "look" you want in the end.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    4 years ago

Your inspiration kitchens are flooded with light while yours seems on the darker end of the spectrum. That will lead to a disconnect between your vision and outcome. Think about what you want for your actual space and try to find pics that match.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

JAN, I meant a cooktop sorry!

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We will definitely be using a pro to get bids too! Loving some of these ideas especially expanding the window! Is it best to work with an interior designer or a kitchen design company?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Kitchen designer. they are familiar w/kitchen layouts/cabinets and optimum work spaces and placement. (or they should be) kitchen design companies should have them. you don't want a salesperson that tries to be a designer. get someone who actually designs kitchens as a living

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

That refrigerator in the corner can't possibly open all the way. Not sure how you will solve that - there really isn't another space in your kitchen for a refrigerator.

Open shelving and soffits do not work together. And removing soffits means also replacing the ceiling and then having to fill in above your cabinets. I hate soffits but at least yours are not overhanging ones like mine were. I think yours will have to stay.

I would not do open shelving and tile up to the soffit. It will look like you're trying to have an updated kitchen but can't.

Just paint those cabinets white and be done with it. I would not paint them blue - blue can be drab in a kitchen. You CAN use lots of blue/white accessories and that will be lovely.

You will get your dream kitchen someday - just be patient. I, too, have an enclosed kitchen and I love mine, but mine has cabinets on all 4 walls. Mine is only 11/15 and one wall is lowers and a sink and an enormous bay window that takes up half of the wall. I love all the cabinet space and I love all the counter space. I don't have room for an island due to all those cabinets, but I found an Ikea island cart that is 17" wide by 48" long and it's perfect for an extra landing zone and I even have small Ikea stools at either end (small overhand of butcher block countertop and open below makes that possible). I would not have my kitchen any other way unless it could be enormous and have room for a huge farmhouse table in the middle. I'm NOT an open concept gal. BTW - I waited 32 years for my kitchen and am enjoying it so much.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Anglo! We need to replace the ceiling though so maybe it's worth taking soffits out to bring cabinets up to ceiling!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

If you can find the 1/4 inch prints of the house, possibly rolled up in a laundry room cabinet? Very helpful if you upload!!!

I see possibilities here, that you may not see. : ) If you can't find them make an accurate sketch, and include the perimeter spaces, hall and dining etc.

The kitchen was "done" once already. Personally? I think you are at gut to get what you really want. Even if that means waiting. It doesn't make sense to throw 20k plus at appliances, to end with a less than stellar result.

• emilyam819
    4 years ago

Your cabinets are tall, square (not arched), and stained a lovely brown. You also have an ideal appliance layout. I’d keep all of those cabinets. Spend your money on new appliances, new hardware, a new window if you want (or contact your local distributor for black grills), a new ceiling, new white counter/backsplash, warm white wall paint, and kohler whitehaven short apron farmhouse sink.

Make sure your whites arent too stark for your dishes and Polish Pottery.

Change the electrical receptical on the island to black.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

You need a kitchen designer to tell you the possibilities. Sometimes doing a “smaller” kitchen renovation isn’t worth the money if important structural things can’t be corrected. A CKD can give you ideas and the costs attached to a “refresh” vs. a “reface” vs. a full out remodel. Showing your layout on this thread will get you started with the experienced Houzzers who know what they’re talking about, but I think Jan hit the nail in the head. What you want probably is a gut job.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO we need to see a to scale floor plan and I see issues already with the fridge placement and how big are the wallkways between the counters on the island and perimeter It looks to me like space for cabinets along walls was given up for an island , not every kitchen needs or should have an island.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

You'll need to use a short apron farmhouse sink or get a new sink base cabinet. The Elkay Quartz Luxe or the Kohler 3943 will work with that cabinet if it's 36" or longer.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks guys. I think we will probably end up doing a gut job and making changes to the layout. I think because the house is older the refrigerators must have been smaller before? Ours actually does open but it's not an ideal spot.

Who is the best person to reach out to first step to get a budget and some type of loose plan into effect? And what is the cost of this stage?

I am looking for floorplans but cannot find any! Would that be something the real estate agent or loan broker would have put in our package?

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was browsing last night and I am in love with what another Houzz poster did (seems like a gut) for around $55k. Looks gorgeous and a similar smaller space. I'm wondering what it would cost us to do something similar.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3778612/small-1928-kitchen-reveal-before-after-photos-and-all-the-details#n=122

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If we gut it I will probably add a bigger window and do tall glass cabinets like this. I know it's not for everyone but we plan to stay in our house and I love this look.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I also really love this kitchen!

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Anyone used Cliq Studios? I signed up for a free design proposal! hoping that there are not catches and it is helpful.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Free design? What's ever free?This is something worth paying for. Even here, the "free" advice is to slow down, get a CKD ON YOUR SITE. Get a wish book together Figure a budget. You are solely focused now on the color, on the look. Not saying that isn't a big aspect. Other things come first. and first is layout/appliances. Together. Kitchens are appliance driven. They eat a chunk of any budget as well. Put that buggy behind your horse:)

M T thanked JAN MOYER
  • Twosit4me
    4 years ago

I have open shelving in my lake house and I would definitely not want it for storage of my regularly used items.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I am thinking open shelving probably wouldn't be good. I think we have to gut it. Here is the floor plan.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here Jan.. yes I need help with the layout but I didn't have a floorplan to show before now so here it is! Hoping some people on Houzz can give advice, but yes we will definitely have a professional come and give a proposal and bid as well. I like to go into a meeting like that with some of my own research as well! Thank you!

• Twosit4me
    4 years ago

I am not an expert, however, when I look at that plan two things strike me.

1. I don’t understand why the pantry needs to bump in to the kitchen.
    2. If I was going to spend the kind of money you are talking about spending, I would try to find some way to move that utility closet and open up that wall to the dining room. You could still use the space in the same manner that you do now but it would really improve the look and IMHO increase resale value.
  • M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It is hard to explain but our house doesn't have the look of an open floor plan home if that makes sense and that little hallway between the kitchen and dining room causes issues! If you want to do a mockup, that would be great, but the hallway adds an additional challenge.

We have a big living room with wainscotting, dining room has moldings and wainscotting. It would add about 50k+ to start knocking down all the walls and move the utility closet and pantry. We had some contractors check it out and they said it was a BIG project to do that. I also don't know if a kitchen open to a formal dining is a great look either?

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    4 years ago

You said above that the fridge "works" but is not in "an ideal spot". Then you mention that it is "a little restrictive". What do you mean by all that? Does the left hand door open so you can get the drawer out? Why don't you like the spot? As was mentioned above, the location is actually good in terms of moving food to the sink , prep area and then to the stove.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are some photos of our house to see what I mean.

The utility closet is an eyesore and we plan to fix that. We would put a floor to ceiling bookshelf to cover the door and vent. It would be a "dummy door" that you could still pull open but look like a nice built in.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Doors open okay from fridge but you are right, you cannot pull the drawer out all the way! I would LOVE to do a built in refrigerator that is enclosed. I feel like our fridge always has smudge prints on it.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is what I put together..

any thoughts?

Built in banquette seating, maybe a oval table with 1-2 chairs in the corner.

All area with the granite is counter tops which would have cabinets above some of it except obvious spots like where the window is are the hood/vent would be above the oven/range.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Breakfast sitting area would be something like this.. built in chairs, tulip table, 2-3 chairs.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Anyone want to help with the floorplan??

• emilyam819
    4 years ago

Keep the appliances in their original locations. Just put a filler or a narrow broom pantry cabinet between the wall and fridge.

M T thanked emilyam819
  • M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The issue if I keep the refrigerator there is that is doesn't have much room to open the door and I wouldn't be able to extend the counter around the corner so it would just be an odd wall right there.

• emilyam819
    4 years ago

The filler would allow you to open the door. And extending the counter around that wall doesn’t gain you anything- what would you use that counter for? It only creates a tight space for your dishwasher.

Your kitchen now has a perfect ice-water-stone-fire setup.

If you were looking to add a prep sink, that would change things.

• M T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well it's an extra 5' of counter space we wouldn't otherwise have. There are really hardly any areas to really prep things since we are losing our big island we currently have which takes up most of the space. We cook so we definitely need some counter space. I don't see how the counter is any tighter than the refrigerator being there?

The other issue is, if you look at the photo, there isn't even 6" to add. The dishwasher sits exactly next to the refrigerator and runs into the sink and we want the sink to be center to the window. There just isn't an additional 6 inches unless we look for a smaller than standard dishwasher.

• Rebekah Gibbs
    4 years ago

What about scaling back the island size instead of an eat in kitchen which saves the extra workspace. Then move the range to the left corner, sink to the right and the fridge to the right end next to the pantry. You could encorporate open shelving in the corner. You could also put an extra oven into the island to keep the double oven idea you wanted. In this scenario you sacrifice the sink under the window but gain so much workable area. If you want to utilize the space where the table was going to go you could also turn that into a built in beverage station for coffee or wine, etc.

• Rebekah Gibbs
    4 years ago

• Rebekah Gibbs
    4 years ago