Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmwhalen1999

Desperately seeking exterior charm...

mmwhalen1999
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi. I'm about to start a major renovation on my house and would love some opinions on how to proceed with the front of it. We are probably incorporating the porch into our living space so have the opportunity to completely change the look. I would prefer to keep the entry on the right side because the internal stairs are on that side too but I was thinking we need some kind of portico and the house has always been lacking curb appeal. Because of some internal changes, our living room will likely face the street and I'm struggling with front window placement because I'm going to want a tv on that wall. Does anyone have thoughts/ideas on how to add charm to this house and give me a big enough solid wall to put a tv?

Comments (16)

• jck910
    4 years ago

Wow cannot help you but your home does not lack curb appeal.

• mmwhalen1999
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hmm, maybe it looks cuter in the picture but the concrete steps and path and iron railings just don't seem inviting to me.

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    4 years ago

I think people would need more information about the inside of your living room before they could respond to your TV question. But for general curb appeal, it would help if you looked up 'bungalows' on the internet. You will see a lot of pictures that would give you some ideas for the front.

• mmwhalen1999
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The inside is a blank slate right now due to a fire but I'm thinking of placing a sectional facing the street and maybe two narrow windows to the left and two to the right. I don't really have any walls. Picture the below plan extending into the porch and the sofa turned 90 degrees counter clockwise.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

For this kind of reno, I suggest you find a local architect who specialized in renovation work. Ask others for references in your area. If there is a historic district there or in a nearby town, you may find examples of someone's work whom you could trust.

• mmwhalen1999
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you.

• summerspring
    4 years ago

Hi mm,

I also think your exterior has curb appeal, and like the current floor plan inside, as the seating area allows eye contact with someone in the kitchen and dining area. is the tv currently on the left side wall, or is there a fireplace there ( between the living and dining area)?

I also love a front porch, and think that has a lot of potential for adding charm, and more living space.

If you do open it up, you could float a tv in a custom unit that hides all the wiring inside, floor plug required, and making sure the unit is attractive from all sides, as it would be seen from the back as your front entry way would open to the back side of it, but would allow the front to keep its current amount of windows/ light.

Outside, the classic way to add more curb appeal is to have a landscaper or gardener look at softening and adding to the front garden, as it seems to be a row of 4 shrubs, and some height and variation and filling in and continuing around the entry would add further " curb appeal". Your home is really lovely, best wishes!

mmwhalen1999 thanked summerspring
  • violetsnapdragon
    4 years ago

I like the curb appeal. I imagine you won't want to remove the charm of the front windows of the porch when you incorporate it into the heated living space...

• mononhemeter
    4 years ago

Not a pro. It’s already a lovely house. You could change the porch skirt to one with vertical slats, change the mailbox, or paint the house a different color. It’s hard to tell from the photo if that is vinyl siding, but if so, you could check to see if the original siding is still underneath and in good shape. I think a Craftsman bungalow should have a front porch, so I wouldn’t incorporate it into the house. A porch swing would be nice though.

mmwhalen1999 thanked mononhemeter
  • ptreckel
    4 years ago

As summerspring suggests, create coverings for your side Windows so that you can place your television in front of them. Perhaps shutters? That you can keep closed for a backdrop?

mmwhalen1999 thanked ptreckel
  • mmwhalen1999
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. I think I'm going to have to reduce the amount of windows on the left side of the house, as well as reduce the ones in the front when the porch is incorporated. I'll find a blank wall space to put the tv on the left side then. And I agree that the landscaping needs tweaking. Maybe I can hire someone to help in that area in the spring.

• PRO
    Bill Goudelock for Ethan Allen Mt. Pleasant, SC
    4 years ago

Is that a fireplace to the left of the bay window/bar? Do you currently use your glassed in porch? Are you in a cold climate? Is the interior floor plan flexible?

• houssaon
    4 years ago

If that is going to be your floor plan, I don't know why you need a full bath on the first floor when there not bedroom. I would incorporate a washer and dryer in the mud room.

I don't see how enclosing the porch gives you another space to use. What would it be? An office, a playroom.

If I were you I would make a three season porch and keep the section by the door open as a portico.

Arts and Crafts Elegance · More Info

Del Ray Sears Bungalow · More Info

• PRO
    Mark Eric Benner - Architects, Ltd.
    4 years ago

The front elevation is very plain and uninviting. The front porch is an opportunity to enhance the elevation and add significant character. Check out the before and afters for this home with similar challenges.

Before

Oak Park Illinois Bungalow Renovation Front Existing View · More Info

After

Oak Park Bungalow Renovation View from Street · More Info

• mmwhalen1999
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

billgoudelock The floor plan is flexible - we're rebuilding after a fire. The architect might have been thinking we would put the tv in the spot you think is a fireplace but that doesn't work at all. And we're in NY so it definitely gets cold!

houssaon We are a family of five (3 teenagers!) with one full bath. While it might not be ideal, we're happy to squeeze another bath in on the first floor. It's going to be a game changer for mornings! (Oldest teen sleeps in finished basement.) The porch is going to be used to increase the size of our living and entertaining space. We've lived with it for 15 years and would prefer to have a larger living room than a 1 season porch. We're more back deck people anyway. Though I am thinking of adding a portico to the entry. Adorable examples!

bennerm I love the After pic you showed. That's the kind of charm I'd like to bring to our house and think redoing the stairs, railings, and foundation cover could definitely help.