Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justing30

Subway Tile or Carrara Marble For 10ft x 5ft Shower Area

Justin G
4 years ago

We are redoing our master bath. The bathroom is 10x10. We are making one half off of a wet bath which will be an open shower along with a soaking tub. The other half is the vanity/toilet. Here is my question.

The ceilings are 8ft tall and the main wall is 10ft wide. We will be tiling approx 5ft down the two side walls, splitting the bathroom in half. Since we are tiling half the bathroom walls, which would look better and be easier to maintain; a 4x16 subway tile with 1/16th light gray grout or 12x24 Carrara marble tile? We just like a very & spa like feeling bathroom that won’t be a pain to maintain.

In this area there will also be a tiled in tub. Our thoughts for the floor either way is a 2” marble hexagon. Then we are going either white or grey vanity and undecided about remaining bathroom floor.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (11)

• Ephma
    4 years ago

I’m with Beth - my marble in my master bath is beautiful but we’d barely over in and it was already etched! Hard to maintain. Thankfully our bath is north facing toward the woods, so the light is mostly indirect. It would drive me crazy if I had marble in direct light and could see all the etching all the time. But I do love the marble look!

• Justin G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Very nice bathroom Beth! What size subway is that and what color grout did you use? I should have been more clear, we would go for the porcelain look a like. I want no part of maintaining real marble lol

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

the subways are 4x12 and I used Mapei FlexColor CQ in Warm Gray.

if you pick the porcelain marble, make sure it's a good one. some look very fake.

• Justin G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the info. Ya we went to a tile a shop and seeing them all together, you could really tell the quality vs the Chinese stuff. Our shower setup would be very similar to yours, except with a drop in tub in it. We wouldn’t have any dark colors at all to contrast but do you feel the subway is too much white overall or too hard to keep clean?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

no harder than anything else. I dislike all white, which is why I went w/the other bold tiles and the cobalt. (the bathroom was actually built with that plant wall in mind. that was the driving force for everything else) .

but if you like all white, that's up to you. I'd try to bring in some wood to warm things up a bit. a nice white oak vanity looks so much better with all white tile, (iMO) than a white vanity.

or do a darker countertop, or a bolder tile backsplash.

• Justin G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ya. We were thinking if we go the white subway route then add some real wood shelving and maybe do a light brownish wood look floor for rest of the bathroom if we can find one that goes with the shower floor. We love the idea of light and bright but trying to figure out how to break it up and look good has proven more difficult then we thought.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

oh please,,no wood look tile in the bathroom! that's out.

do a nice basketweave , or hex, or even a cement tile porcelain.

all you need is the wood vanity

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

Beth H. : wow, your master bath redo is stunning!!!!

Thanks for posting all those pics and for your comments.

I'm also planning to mix white ceramic subway tile and Carrara marble in my master bath (6x11). I have a 1940 bungalow, and I'm hoping it will look "vintage elegant." (in keeping with the period of the home, but a bit upscale.). My thought: Walnut vanity, Carrara countertop; 3"x6" white ceramic subway tile on the shower walls and on the wainscoting, topped with an marble accent (2x2 Carrara squares?) and then a white ceramic chair rail. The chair rail and accent would continue around the room, including through walk-in shower. On the room's floor, I was thinking marble with a basketweave "rug" outlined with a black liner. So my dilemma: what to do with the shower floor? Do you think I could get away with Carrara look porcelain tile? Maybe 3" hex. ??? (too many different shapes and sizes? or is this ok?) It will have a curb--I'm assuming that should be marble, right? Thoughts? thanks!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

girl,,,you should start your own post since this is Justins. and post some pictures of your materials.

I will tell you I don't really care for the 2x2. I could show you some other options but on your own thread. just post a pic of the room, what you want, and the materials you want to use

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

ok, thanks. Yeah, as I was typing it kind of felt like I was hijacking. Thanks for steering me to the right way. Sorry Justin!