shive_gw

Favorite Purples of the 2019 Season

shive
October 17, 2019
last modified: October 17, 2019

Post your favorite purple daylilies of this past season. You are welcome to include favorite seedlings in the category. The next color will be red.

• harold100

Hi Signet. So glad you mentioned Indian Giver. I have been meaning to ask why mine doesn't multiply. It is 4 years old and gets plenty of water and fertilizer but produces just one bloom. The bed was shaded until 1 pm but the big maple was just removed 2 weeks ago. Will that make much difference?. I'm located in southside Virginia where the summers are very hot.

POLL: Favorite Fall Decor?

I voted for the mums, but I also liked the outside branches brought inside. However, I thought the room was too overdone with the pumpkin light fixture and orange pillows. It bordered on too cheesy to me.

POLL: What's your favorite color?

There is a fairly new color combination & it's called pinkish purple. This combination is totally beautiful. I'm doing my apt, this color.

Easy Exterior Design Changes for Your Door

The green gives the door the importance it deserves and the dragonfly is such a touch of whimsy! The change in the roof above is absolutely transformative. The roof color compliments the door color perfectly. Well done!

Purple walls not quite right color

In theory, I have million of choices in paint, but in reality don't, I'm using Behr because is the only paint that have mixer machines that are accurate, I'm not from USA, apparently here, in some brands, the mixes are random or the machines are wrong, seriously. I got some hilarious results with other brands. I want purple walls, with silver/platinum details, that is my color palette, this is my room and office (I'm a freelance web developer), in a small space, need to be something that inspire me. I don't care about the bedding, too much, because for me that is a detail, I care more about the structure, walls, floor, aislation, windows (which is all new and diy), then decoration, which will be simple. Structure first, details later, like layers. I think a different shade of purple could work, the problem is that the previous floor was more redish and looked fine with the walls.
  • signet_gw(6b)

Hi Harold,I am no expert and without being able to see the plant in person, I would have to only hazard a guess and say it is probably because of the shade. Mine is planted in full sun and grows like crazy . I don't supplement water as I am on a well and temps here during the summer are often over 100 F and it is planted in very poor soil . I think daylilies like poor soil somehow. Also I never fertilize ......ever . If your fertilizer is the wrong combo you may be sacrificing bloom for greenery. Hard to say without really seeing it in person . Maybe try moving it to full sun all day and see what happens and try not fertilizing it for a while. Keeping it watered but not overwatering . Overwatering may also contribute to root rot (again not sure but a possibility. ) .

• Brad KY 6b

So wonderful seeing all these purples.

• lilykate7a

Beautiful! All of them. One of my favorite categories just to see Celeste’s color. But so many are really striking. I am going to try to post only my top favorites.

I have decided this is a bee pollen lily as it grew up in the middle of the one below. I have separated it and given it a special home.

• signet_gw(6b)

A few more purples from my gardens

This is Macklemania

and this is Joyce Brudd

• KarenPA_6b

Wow, superb purples everyone!

Nancy, so glad that you are able to post! love Pastor Z and Royal Ext. which has the most gorgeous watermark that i have ever seen.

Signet, love your Playing with Sharks!

Harold, I also have many purples that look like your daylily above. I was always puzzled why such a color was called purple. Then when you see the same daylilies blooming in Celeste's garden, you will know why they are called purple!

Celeste, WOW! Your purples are always stunning every year but this year the shade is just mind blowing. Wish I wake up everyday and see purple blooms like yours. Someday, I would love to see your purple daylily collection in person, if you don't mind the visit. Oh my, what a treat that will be!

• signet_gw(6b)

Showing "Fox Ears"

Smoke Scream is really more purple than this image shows.

• signet_gw(6b)

Emerald Bay

and here is Regency Heights. I had a real time getting this one to my gardens .

• signet_gw(6b)

Here is Self Determination

• signet_gw(6b)

There are still more but I should probably stop boring people LOL! Anyway gotta go plant about 150 allium bulbs I dug up when redoing one of my gardens .

• shive

I notice a lot of you are posting lavenders. We do have a lavender category coming up.

Debra

• signet_gw(6b)

Kate that is such a lovely bloom ! A real beauty . What a nice "find " to have in your gardens .

I apologize to all for posting so many images. I just thought that maybe if someone hasn't had the opportunity to see certain blooms that it might be interesting . I have a hard time picking favorites as I bought all of these because I loved them . I will curb my enthusiasm in the next posts . I promise.

• harold100

Nordic Night.

• Nancy 6b

See if these work

Claudine's Charm

Classy Columbus

• Nancy 6b

Well, 2 pics seem to be the maz

Abby Davisson

All of My Love to You

• Nancy 6b

Bengali

Black Falcon Ritual

• Nancy 6b

Harbor Blue, which I assume is supposed to be blue? looks purple to me

Same for Hint of Blue

• Nancy 6b

Jerry Hyatt

Jumping Jack had its first year, splotchy, but if it improves next year I will be happy with it.

• Nancy 6b

Lord of Rings

Motown Blues, again looks more purple pink to my eyes

• Nancy 6b

Palace Garden beauty may be more lavender?

Shaka Zulu

• Nancy 6b

Barbara Alsop is not the prettiest to my eye. but has been a good grower and lots of blooms

"Vanishing Mist

"Well, I downloaded Slimjet and alternated between it and firefox in loading these. They seemed to load about the same speed, but neither would do more than 2 at a time

• Nancy 6b

Tall Dark Stranger

TBone Walker, one of my favorites

• lilykate7a

Private Reserve-not usually a favorite due to splotchy blooms but sometimes it looks like this!

• lilykate7a

And, Nancy, I concur that Vanishing Mist could be a favorite!

Might fit better in another category but I may only be looking by the time that category comes up!

• shive

Thanks for posting so many great photos of beautiful purples. I was going to name the recent ones posted that I liked. Then I realized I liked nearly all of them. Like Sherry, I rarely see a purple I don't like.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

When I looked at this post this PM and saw 124 posts I knew we hadn't suddenly added a whole new group to Houzz, but that people were still having trouble posting more then 2 pictures at a time. Very tedious. Worse still Houzz doesn't care.........Anyway, the only one I can remember right now is Nancy's Claudine's Charm. I've always liked that one. It reminds me of a Pansy (which I love). If you are still with us Nancy, can you tell me how the color holds in the summer. I'm assuming you have some hot days where you are.............The other purples are lovely too. I may have to add one more to my garden before I call it quits..........Maryl

• lilykate7a

I agree, Debra. I could not begin to comment on all I liked-too many. It is just a really pretty category. And the intensity and depths of the color vary so much.

• Nancy 6b

The trouble with purples is when they splotch, but other than jumping Jack, I don't have much trouble with it. And Jj is new. sometimes they are much better after they settle in, so keeping my fingers crossed. I don't think I have seen one purple daylily here I would not like to have!

Maryl, Claudine's Charm has held its color well since I have had it-2 years now only. I think our last 2 summers were not as hot when it was in bloom though, low 90s probably, and i have it where it gets shade after 2:00, so those combined may make a difference.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nancy, I have Tall Dark Stranger too and love it. I have a super hard time trying to define the color. To me it’s not purple, not red and not pink. I’m going to have to check the description again and see what it says.

Sherry

• Nancy 6b

I do agree about Tall Dark Stranger I think, not really purple to me, but not sure what other color it would be. It bloomed for such a long time this summer, and has multiplied into a nice clump since I have had it. This was its 2nd bloom season.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nancy, I have had the same results with my TDS, it’s a great plant. Did you get yours from Laura too? I just checked the description again, they call it royal purple, whatever that means ; )

Sherry

• Nancy 6b

Laura's plants are great!

• samhain10 - 5a

Am having to go backwards now, looking at all the posts I've missed! I would call TDS a dark rose.

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a

I also see that in going backwards, I am running into images I know that I "liked", but they're not showing that I liked them. Oh, well. I LOVE them all! lol

Alex

• KarenPA_6b

Went back to all the posts to enjoy all the pics again and to see what I may have missed. Wow, I sure miss a great deal!

Again, your purples are just out of this world, Celeste. The eye on Swallow Tail Kite is as blue as I ever see any shade of blue on a daylily. Not sure if that is your camera producing the blue or that's what you saw but it is going on my want list in my quest for a blue daylily. May not find it but may find other treasures, who knows?

Wow, Kate! Your "unknown" seedling is gorgeous! Like Signet said, what a delightful treasure to find in your garden! I also love your Private Reserve pic! That is probably the nicest bloom that I have seen of this daylily besides the hybridizer's.

Nancy H, love the chalky smoky shade of Hey Soul Sister. Does this happen only in certain time or during hot or cool weather?

Nancy, Claudine's Charm is beautiful! I also love the applique eye of your Jumping Jack and Hint of BLue.

Brad, here is another pic of the seedling of the cross that you like when it blooms in cooler weather. Hopefully the edge will improve next year.

• shive

That seedling is gorgeous in any weather, Karen!

• Nancy 6b

Love that seedling Karen!

• KarenPA_6b

When I have enough increase, I can send you a double fan, Nancy and Debra if you are interested. I am sending Brad some to try next year. This seedling will not be registered because the budcount is rather low. The flowers are nice though.

• Brad KY 6b

Nancy, Hint of Blue is my favorite of yours. Kate, that bee pollen one is very nice. Karen, thanks for another photo of your seedling. Sherry, Purple Paw Print is my favorite of yours. Heather, my faves of yours are Emerald Bay and Joyce Budd. Celeste, lots of them. Black Bird Sings and CASCO BAY DELIGHT especially catch my attention. Sherry: Purple Paw Print is my fave of yours. Harold, I really like Glory to His Name. Nancy, Tom Adams is your stand out to me. Debra: I like Purple Passion. Alex: Ron Valente is my fave of yours.

• celeste

Karen, here is another photo of Swallow Tail Kite to give you another view. It does indeed have an eye with a lot of 'blue' in it when I look at it in the garden but I can't comment on what it looks like elsewhere. I haven't seen it in anyone else's garden in person. But, you can't go wrong with it as a plant. It's tall, well-budded, hardy, and sets pods. I happen to count it among my top 10 daylilies for vigor and bloom production. What's not to love?

• Julia NY

A few of my favorite purples but I do have others but limited on time.

PATTERN EVOLUTION

ISLE OF PATMOS

CLAUDINE'S CHARM

STEALTH BOMBER

Julia

• lilykate7a

Julia, so glad you found some time to post! These clumps are gorgeous! Love the shot of Claudine’s Charm and Isle of Patmos has a much prettier color than mine.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Great photos again! Love your Claudines Charm, it will be awhile till mine looks that nice.

Sherry

• KarenPA_6b

Wow, those are such gorgeous clump shots! I love all of them!

• Nancy 6b

Wonderful clumps! My Claudine's Charm has not grown to such a nice clump yet, so beautiful. Drooling over Stealth Bomber too.

• signet_gw(6b)

Very very lovely Julia . Images like those of yours is what draws me to daylilies .

• samhain10 - 5a

Ditto what everyone else said - those are all beautiful clumps!

• shive

I love the clump shots, Julia!

• Brad KY 6b

Same here, they are all great1

Brad