marilyn_sue

What trees do you have in your area or on your property?

Marilyn_Sue
October 18, 2019

The trees I have on my property are quite a few. Lots of black walnut, different oak varieties, maples, including sycamore, yellow poplar, mulberry, black cherry, locust, buckeye, and different elms. We also have this very invasive and hated Asian Honeysuckle. It is very difficult to get rid of, it may be just a shrub but it gets pretty big and crowds out all the other good things. What trees do you see when you look out and around you?

Please put where you live.

Sue in Central Indiana

• amylou321

I am embarrassed to say I have almost no idea. We have acreage surrounded by woods in Alabama. I know there are lots of pines,probably some oaks, and I planted an olive tree on a whim. I also attempted to plant some cherry and fig trees,but they died. Lots of different trees surrounding my house. I only have one in what one would call our "yard." I put all my bird/hummingbird feeders in it and I love it but I still dont know what it is.. .

Ooo my one neighbor has a pear tree which is positively LOADED with those red pears every year. She never picks them but I have a good view of it from my house and I enjoy watching the deer raid it daily.

Marilyn_Sue thanked amylou321
  • Rusty

"Does anyone know a good site for identifying trees?"

Bob_cville, I don't know of a good website, but have you tried The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees? I have found it (and all the other Audubon Field Guides, too,) wonderful for identification. You don't have to be familiar with the terminology, you identify by pictures, leaf, bark, seed, etc. Then you go to the family and species section, where you can read all the info about that tree. it's also a very handy size to carry with you.

Rusty

ETA: Here's a link: Audubon Field Guide

Marilyn_Sue thanked Rusty

Icestorm! What tips do you have for caring for your home during a 4 da

We had a power out here for two days and our '50 year blizzard' hit. We had no where to go, a fireplace, and a gas stove. The burners worked but not the oven, the oven had a glow plug. We had a gas furnace but it wouldn't run, electric glowplug. Water heater had pilot light, it would run. I spent two days either sleeping on the floor next to the fireplace and feeding it or out looking for burnwood. Neighbor two up had two enterprising college age boys that did parttime firewood, and they spotted me several armloads off an ordered cord they had that someone hadn't paid for (I paid for a full cord after and had them deliver 3/4... I didn't use a quarter but it was how I paid them back) and we turned the burners up on the stove, and kept ourselves alive. Everyone here keeps oil or kerosene lamps; I had four and had filled them on advice of others, so at least we had light. And melted water to flush with, and made do. People left water run; pipes still froze and the water tower got run dry; and the pumps were buried under ice. We spent over a day without water until someone managed to chop down to the pump, and with a borrowed generator, got the water to move. Some areas outlying town, took 8-12 days to get plowed to and power back on; you would see well bundled families with every member with a cart filling it, yep they just had the National Guard dig them out. Someone did walk across our yard through the snowbanks to our living room window and looked in, I assumed they were checking if people needed help, and probably seen me sleeping next to fireplace and a stack of wood, so they left us alone. I had the chance here to put in a RMH, and did so, putting a foundation in and bringing it up through the crawlspace and floor. It takes a lot less wood, it gives off a lot more heat, and by being mounted on that concrete foundation block it can seep some heat into the crawlspace to help my plumbing from freezing. I can also heat water and cook on top of the firebarrel, if I need to. I have handled heating most of my house with it; if it was the only source I could make do for a very long time on a quarter cord. I do keep a pantry; it is not hard to stock a few weeks worth of food and cycle it to keep it in date. I added a major shutoff to the water just inside my house perimeter where I could get to it, though I could also turn the meter off (I have the tool to do so) and drain. I did have a whole house surge protector/lightning arrestor put in at the box; and the place to put the switch over for a generator; at a later date. Sheltering in place is often best as long as you are prepared for it. Whether it is flood, storm, power out....

What Type Of Grill Do You Think Makes Your Food Have More Flavor?

I feel like I should add - I know a lot of people like gas or other types because of the ease of use, and I find it makes a HUGE difference in how easy it is to use charcoal if you take time to set up your grill area properly. I haven't done it at the new house yet, but at the old one I had an outdoor storage container (one of those decorative deck box things) that lived as close as it could safely be to the grill, and EVERYTHING for getting the grill started went in there - charcoal, chimney starter (awesome gadget, makes it so easy to get the coals going), matches or lighter, an airtight plastic tub for paper and cardboard scraps as kindling, a grilling mitt (to protect my hand from the heat), and long handled tongs that were dedicated to moving the charcoal around. (I had another pair for meat - don't like using the same ones because the charcoal ones get all charcoal-dust-y and it's annoying to keep cleaning them.) When I wanted to start the grill, it was very easy to do so because everything was right there waiting. That plus some practice with the chimney starter and it really didn't take long at all to get it all ready to go. There is some time once it's started, waiting for all the charcoal to catch and then settle down, but if you start the grill and then go do prep work so the food is ready to go on the grill, usually that's enough time for it to be ready. So having a good work area arrangement is important, imo, if you want to be able to use a charcoal grill frequently and easily in the same way you might use a gas grill.

What do you use to wash your windows and how often do you do it?

I was in the industrial cleaning biz for 15 years and hired a service to clean some of the most important windows at the GM Tech Center. He used Dawn and a squeegee. The rags were only used to dry his squeegee. Sadly, my own windows are a mess from years of bug spray which they claim will rinse off with a power washer. Nope. It doesn't. We quit the service 5 years ago and the windows are all still hazy. It's something to do with the pyrethrum and I've asked around - yep, it's bad for windows but you can't help to get the overspray when they spray your entire house. When I clean my windows I use Dawn, cleaning vinegar, and a nice squeegee and only a towel to dry my squeegee. You don't go up and down or from one side to the other. You go in a big hairpin turn type of swiping with the squeegee. It's hard to describe, but, it's how it's done. Yes, it's time. I haven't cleaned mine since spring, mostly because I haven't been here much. Our windows at our vacation home are bad as well, right now. I've been there as much as I've been here.

POLL: Do you have a family tree in your house?

Rather than display a family tree, I'm planning and working on a gallery wall in my home office of ancestral photos--none more recent than my grandparents, and some that go back to the US civil war. I'll keep it all in black and white for consistency and design, with black frames, white mats, and the photos themselves, b&w. Many of the photos have a sepia tone to them, and that blends well. In the absence of a photo for an ancestor (after all, most of our ancestors would obviously pre-date photography!), I frame copies of a birth or marriage certificate, a photo of the church in which they were married or christened, a signature on a land deed or land grant, a plat map, letter, the family itemized on a ship's manifest, etc--also copied in black and white and framed the same. I'll try to keep it mostly a "people" wall, so it doesn't get cluttery looking. Because of the wide variety of sizes of photos, ranging from teeny locket size to cabinet cards to over-the-mantel parlor sized, I've had some copies resized for a more consistent look.

Best place for tree identification is right here on Garden Web. The Name That Plant forum is an excellent resource for plant identification almost completely regardless of your location. And they are usually very fast about it as well. Some very knowledgeable contributors.......

Like Olychick I live in the PNW on a property almost completely surrounded by native trees - western red cedar, Douglas fir, bigleaf maples, alders, hazels, Pacific madrone, an assortment of different willows, Pacific dogwood. And a few invasive species as well, Iike English holly.

Trees intentionally planted on the property include horsechestnut, plums, evergreen magnolia, several palms and cordylines and yew. Also a bunch of very tree-like shrubs, including lilac, rhododendrons and English laurel. I grow many of my trees in containers so I can place them to best effect and with adequate sun and deer protection - a collection of some 30 or Japanese maples, eucryphia, dwarf hornbeam, and a collection also of dwarf conifers.

Marilyn_Sue thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • OutsidePlaying

We live in north central Alabama on 9 acres. About half is wooded and the other half is treed with an area carved out for our house, sun loving perennials and a vegetable garden. We didn’t want a lot of large unstable trees close to our house. We have pine, several vareties of oak (red, white, pin water), black cherry, dogwood, redbud, tulip poplar, hickory, paw-paw, ash, sweet gum (pesky but a beautiful tree), persimmon, and several others I can’t recall right now. I’ve been as to identify most at some point by just walking the woods and taking the leaves home to ID If I wasn’t sure.

Over the years I have either propagated desired seedlings that came up, mostly a few dogwood, pines, tulip poplar, and several redbud into other bare spots in the yard where we had old-growth pines cut over 20 yers ago. I also planted a magnolia, a couple of ginkgo, several dwarf Japanese maples, a white fringe tree (grancy graybeard), and others. I love trees.

Marilyn_Sue thanked OutsidePlaying
  • FlamingO in AR

We’ve got about 65 acres of hardwoods and 15-20 acres of cedar trees. Oak, elm, ash, sycamore, walnut, persimmon, tulip, mimosa, hickory, dogwood, mulberry, sassafras, cherry, redbud, etc. NW Arkansas.

Marilyn_Sue thanked FlamingO in AR
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Amylou, I can't imagine having a productive pear tree but not harvesting it! I had a fair amount of fruit set on my variety of trees, but critters (squirrels or raccoons) got every.single.one long before they were ripe. They didn't eat them, just pulled them off the trees, took a bite, and dropped them. Oh, wait, I did get one little native plum that was overlooked somehow!

Marilyn_Sue thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Anglophilia

KY on a 1/4 acre lot. Three huge oak trees, one white oak, one pin oak, one red oak. Multiple grandiflora magnolia trees, 4 Hawthorns, multiple dogwoods. In fact, so may trees that their root systems are water and nutrient hogs and I must deal with these needs of my grass accordingly. No views and shade is very welcome.

The oaks are a hassle in the spring when the tassels form and fall down, clogging the gutter guards (thank God I have them otherwise the gutters and down spouts would be full!), filling the roof gullies/valleys, and attaching to the dogs coats like velcro. Now, it's acorn season and the dogs are obsessed with going out and gathering up these treats. But they are lovely, very large trees that provide some much needed shade.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Anglophilia
  • pudgeder

Central Oklahoma.

Black Jack Oaks.

Not very pretty trees and brittle as all get out. The branches snap off pretty easily in storms. The life span isn't much more than 30 years. The bark is pretty interesting, gnarly and all. The only color they turn in Fall is brown. LOL We live on about 2 acres and have quite a few. We have a few elms, which aren't any prettier.

About 2 years ago, I planted a Bald Cypress. It's doing pretty well, but it'll never be a "large" tree in my lifetime. I hope to plant a few red maples this fall.

**edited**

I forgot about all the Red Cedars!! They're such fire hazard that the state encourages removing them. In "fire seasons" when the plains areas catch fire and it reaches the cedars, they explode sending sparks everywhere making the fires spread even more! We have removed them off of our property, but they're still across the road from us behind our house. A few years back, we had a horrible fire on the property behind us, and it was moving quickly towards us. We could hear the trees exploding! It was frightening! Fortunately the fire departments got it all under control.

Marilyn_Sue thanked pudgeder
  • nickel_kg

Virginia, so our trees are very diverse. One of the trade-offs of moving into town was giving up our 4 acre lot, most of which was wooded. We had such a beautiful mature beech and holly forest. I loved it best in winter, with the silvery smooth trucks of the beeches, the straw-yellow leaves that clung to them in tiers until spring, and the way the sunlight glinted off the deep green leaves of holly.

Here in town on our 1/4 acre lot we started with one mature cedar tree. We've added one fringe tree, one metasequoia (which is doing great), and three shadblows. (Plus lots of native shrubs and flowering weeds.) I think we still have room for one or two more trees, but no more so I have to be choosy.

Marilyn_Sue thanked nickel_kg
  • sheilajoyce_gw

Southern California tiny suburban lot. We had a row of alders, but they had to be removed due to age. Also liquid ambers, carrotwood, crepe myrtle and another tree the birds planted and I don't know its identity.

Marilyn_Sue thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • whaas_5a

kennswoods, can you PM me?

1.5 acre Holy Hill area of WI

Musclewood, Farges Filbert, Maackia, Mongolian Linden, Freeman Maples, Sargent Cherry, Winter King Hawthorn, Koreqn Maples, Hybrid Buckeyes, Persian Ironwood, Yellowood, Tulip Tree, Katsura and too many to list

Marilyn_Sue thanked whaas_5a
  • wanda_va

We live right in the middle of an oak forest. Our six acres, plus hundreds of our neighbor's acres have primarily oak trees.

Marilyn_Sue thanked wanda_va

Zone 6, S. Cen. PA. Clay soil. Our 10 acres is an Ice Age lake bottom. Flat with a slight rise. Clay. Did I mention it was clay? It was pasture and except for 3 trees (2 Black Walnut and a Red Maple), all the other trees were planted by us. I don't want to bore anybody, so I'll only mention the trees above the field road.

Gleditsa triacanthos. I purposely bought seeds and wanted the thorns. Amazing thorns it has.

Pinus resinosa, Am. Red Pine. A friend picks the cones for her decorations.

Pinus ponderosa, I grew up on the tv show Bonanza, and their ranch was the Ponderosa. So I'm a sucker for the tree.

European filberts, several clumps. The severity of the Filbert Blight in the clumps depends on the cultivar. Nuts are mostly unpicked anyway.

Myrica pensylvanica. It has Pennsylvania in the name.

Acer pensylvanicum. See above comment.

Prunus pensylvanica. Still with the same theme.

Calocedrus decurrans. A lot of tip dieback this year, but it's not like it's getting scraggly.

American Holly. A seedling I replanted from else where.

Lacebark Pine (P. bungiana). The deer went nuts on this one when it was tiny.

P. koriensis. Korean Pine, for pine nuts.

P. strobus. Dug from a development. They were getting ready to level a pine forest near Portland, ME.

Carpinus betulus and caroliniana. The English Lime Tree and it's American cousin. Both worth growing.

Rhamnus caroliniana. Indian Cherry. I didn't think it was a tree. Shows what I know.

Magnolia acuminata, Cucumber Magnolia. Another Magnolia? I have room.

M. X loebneri, M. liliflora, M. grandiflora. More Magnolias elsewhere too.

Betula lenta, because the twigs taste good.

Northern Pecan, the critters get the nuts. Graceful trees.

Japanese Cedar, Cryptomeria japomica. In with a crowd of White Spruce and Balsam Fir I dug at my sister's house.

The overplanted Kanzan Cherry Tree, because 'Yes Dear' is sometimes the answer.

Seven Sons Tree, Heptacodium something, because it was all the rage. Wouldn't plant another.

Hovenia dulcis. It struggles but has grown to 15ft. Got it at a good price. No wonder.

Idesia polyacarpa. Zone denial, but it has been here 12 years.

Acer buegerianum. Needed a small tree near the solar panels.

Malus sargentii. Birdfood, and it makes an incredible display--- every other year.

Asian Quince. One tree survives, very resistant to Fire Blight (unlike almost all the others in the world). Makes a bunch of inedible fruit we sell for big bucks. Really.

Ptelea trifoliata. Because the seeds remind me of the Elm trees I grew up with.

Poncirus trifoliata. I use the branches to deter deer. You can marmalade the fruits.

Plum Yew (Cephalotaxus), because the friggin' deer leave it alone.

Carya laciniosa and ovata, because we like nuts. They should be producing in the next couple of years.

Anyway, we have planted a bunch of other things like Aralia, Dogwood (4 species), Parodia persica and Viburnums also live up there.

Marilyn_Sue thanked HU-435404624
  • Debby

I'm in the city, so I just have two apple trees. One pear tree and four lilac trees. My front yard is "fenced" with a hedge around the three sides.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Debby
  • Bill_minn_3b {West Central MN}

I'm in town but have a fairly 'good sized' backyard with a lilac hedge on opposite sides. I have 19 different species of trees, none of which are of a mature size, some are seedlings. Mostly native to my area.

Abies balsamea

Acer ginnala

Acer rubrum

Acer saccharum

Betula papyrifera

Celtis occidentalis

Fraxinus nigra

Gleditsia triacanthos

Juniperus virginiana

Ostrya virginiana

Picea glauca

Pinus ponderosa

Pinus resinosa

Pinus strobus

Quercus ellipsoidalis

Quercus macrocarpa

Syringa reticulata

Thuja occidentalis

Tsuga canadensis

And a few shrubs. :-)

ETA: almost forgot the honeylocust tree, Gleditsia triacanthos (19)

Marilyn_Sue thanked Bill_minn_3b {West Central MN}
  • edenchild

I have an semi-rural acre property in the PNW that had no trees on it when we built except for a Acer rubrum "Red Sunset" that the city planted in the right of way at the front. The builder was responsible for landscaping the front and the city required him to put in 11 trees for the size of the property, so guess where they all went? Yes, 11 trees, mostly maples, at the front. My first instruction to our landscaper was to move half of them to the back while they were still small enough to move. I've since added about 20 more trees and now have: -

Abies fraseri - Fraser Fir

Acer - Maple unknown variety x 3

Acer circinatum - Vine Maple

Acer palmatum "Sango Kaku" - Coral Bark Maple

Acer palmatum dissectum "Viridis" - Japanese Maple

Acer palmatum dissectum "Red Dragon" - Japanese Maple

Acer palmatum dissectum "Tamukeyama" - Japanese Maple

Acer rubrum "Red Sunset" - Red Maple

Acer x fremanii "Jeffers Red" - Autumn Blaze Freeman Maple x 3

Cercidiphyllum japonica - Katsura x 2

Cersis canadensis "Forest Pansy" - Eastern redbud

Cornus x "Eddie's White Wonder" - Dogwood

Cryptomeria japonica "Sekkan Sugi" - Japanese cedar

Fagus sylvatica "Purple Fountain" - Weeping beech

Magnolia grandiflora "Teddy Bear" - Magnolia

Magnolia x "Susan" - Magnolia

Picea omorika - Serbian Spruce

Pinus flexilis "Vanderwolf's Pyramid" - Limber Pine

Pinus strobus - Eastern White Pine

Prunus serrulate "Amanogawa" - Flowering Cherry (don't recommend - it suckers like mad)

Salix babylonica - Weeping Willow (well away from the house and septic system)

Stewartia psuedocamellia - Japanese Stewartia

Styrax japonica - Japanese Snowbell x 2

Plus numerous Douglas Fir, Western Hemlock and Alder (ugh!) in the forested area behind the property as well as several shrubs that can become tree sized like syringa (lilac) and cotinus (smokebush).

Since this is probably the last garden I will plant from scratch, I indulged myself with many of my favourite trees.

Marilyn_Sue thanked edenchild
  • maifleur01

The mention of Asian Quince above has me salivating. They make an interesting jelly that is often used as a glaze for many things from cakes to meat.

Marilyn_Sue thanked maifleur01
  • Mike McGarvey

66 posts and no pictures?!!

I live on 10 acres SE of Seattle with a lot of trees. It's a temperate rain forest.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Mike McGarvey
  • brandon7 TN_zone

Our farm is 25 acres just east of Knoxville TN. We have somewhere around 150 species of trees and shrubs (representing about 75 different genera). Our larger collections (by number of represented species) include Quercus (20 species), Viburnum (13 species), Styracaceae (Styrax family), and Rutaceae (Rue Family).

Marilyn_Sue thanked brandon7 TN_zone
  • bengz6westmd

HU, I have Ponderosa pine too, but it has chronic needlecast issues. It will never prosper here. Below, it's the smaller pine beside a loblolly pine:

Marilyn_Sue thanked bengz6westmd

Hey beng. The one here is quite full and about as tall as yours is. I've had sawfly problems some years, more when it was younger. They also found my Cedrus libani one year. No sawfly except a few on the Filberts this year.

Needlecast took my Scots Pine and the P. nigra. The Ponderosa is closer to the road and on a slight rise, maybe it escaped for this reason. One never knows. Last year (the Deluvian Year) we almost lost the Blue Spruce, (along with everybody else's Blue Spruce) within 50 miles of here.

Maybe a different disease, but Concolor Fir hedges were rendered transparent by something similar to needlecast. Those who had planted Concolor Fir hedges/screens lost all their privacy in one humid rainy summer.

• phoggie

Since I have a relative new build, I do not have many established trees but I love these maples that are turning north of my house and the weeping willows on my lake

in Kansas.

Marilyn_Sue thanked phoggie
  • beesneeds

SW MI...

I'm not sure of all the names, and we have a nice sized property for our area. We started out with about 5 acres of yard- then a couple years ago got 20 back acres attached to our property. It's a mix of regularly mowed yard, ponds, used to be kept open grassland that is still mostly open, ringed with a heavy thick of trees between us and the neighboring backlines. So a goodly mix of environments for various trees.

Different kinds of pines, cedars, maples, oaks, and willows. Apple, sweet cherry, sour cherry, pear, plum, and mullberry. Sassafras, Russian Olive- both bane weed trees, ugh. A couple other scrubby weed trees. Four big trees out front that I have no idea what they are. Chinese Chestnut. Smoke tree. Black walnut. Cottonwood. Redbud, and a couple other flowering trees I'm not sure what they are.

A handful more trees out back that I haven't really ID'd yet, but aren't the ones I know more how to ID.

Honorable mention- wild rose. There's a couple of them out back that have really grown up into couple feet taller than me beasts with fat trunks and are more small trees than bushes.

We had a bunch of trees cut down this summer in the yard too. Some old trees- couple pines, couple apples, and a something we never could figure if it was supposed to be a nectarine or peach it was so old and fruited so little. And a line of scrubby weed trees and a few small sassafras along a fence-line that the power company came and cut down to clear back to the transformer. Planning on planting in a handful of fruit and nut trees out back over the next couple years :)

Marilyn_Sue thanked beesneeds
  • ont_gal

Central Ontario Canada-Maples of all sorts,spruce,pine,hemlock,birch, poplar,sumack, ash...and more leaves than I really like,but that happens at this time of year.

Marilyn_Sue thanked ont_gal

beng, this is the Ponderosa Pine.

This is Calocedrus decurrans. The pic was taken at an angle, the tree is approaching 40ft.

And for maifleur, the Asian Quince. Some of them are getting aromatic. In early Nov., I send them to market in the D.C. area.

Marilyn_Sue thanked HU-435404624

For those who have Asimina triloba (Pawpaw), do any have a non-ripening Pawpaws? I picked all the others in late Sep, early Oct, these are still hard and barely edible. Last year they dried and turned black then fell off during the winter. I'll probably cut the trees this year.

Finally, this is an old peach I planted. One side looks good.

The south side is a bit sketchy. I'll let it stand until it falls because we get chickadees nesting in the hollows.

Marilyn_Sue thanked HU-435404624
  • Lars

Nice to see all the photos - so much more helpful (to me) than scientific names without common names.

White sapote tree in my back yard
    Apple tree in my back yard

Marilyn_Sue thanked Lars
  • Mike McGarvey

Acer macrophyllum, Oregon Big Leaf Maple, showing Fall color on the bluff in the lower garden near Seattle.

• indianagardengirl

Wow Mike, what a lovely view.

Marilyn_Sue thanked indianagardengirl
  • bengz6westmd

HU, you have an interesting range of trees. Here's one (you need more than one for cross-pollination) of my Amer hazelnuts. Nuts are smaller than Euro hazelnuts, but tasty nonetheless:

Marilyn_Sue thanked bengz6westmd
  • lgmd_gaz

Just reread my post from near the beginning of this thread. Can't believe that I forgot to include my Paper Bark Maple. Here it is

And there is this huge Arborvitae and next the interior of it complete with scampering Elf.

Marilyn_Sue thanked lgmd_gaz
  • sjerin

I lost my big, beautiful birch in our last drought and miss the sight of it. However, the pods they dropped were buggers to get out of the gutters and the trees are not at all native to my area. We tried a J maple variety in the same spot because the nursery person said it could take the sun; he was wrong. We'll have to move it this winter as the leaves dry up almost as soon as they're unfurled. I have a different variety of J maple in the backyard that was a tiny little thing from Home Depot 20 years ago. Because it was planted where previous owners had had some redwoods that were taken out years ago, (great humus from the rotting roots!) it grew by leaps and bounds to be far larger than I ever thought possible--it dominates my small backyard. We have ground that is contaminated with oak root fungus, which is impossible to get rid of. So now before planting, I check to make sure the bush or tree is resistant to that disease.

Marilyn_Sue thanked sjerin
  • davidrt28 (zone 7)

I have 3 acres in rural Maryland. Priority is given to rarities, and/or at least semi-uncommon plants with proven track records like Ulmus 'Allee' as a shade tree.* I have 7 cultivars of Cryptomeria, for example. Interested in creating 'rooms' or 'areas' evocative of other regions of the world, like an Asian woodland garden with many rhododendrons, magnolias, camellias, and bamboos (probably most of the garden eventually!), or the desert with my cacti, succulents, and south african plants. And hopefully to someday prove that such a look can be very low-maintenance in our area with appropriate 'plant husbandry' lol.** Biggest menace is white trash neighbors who have things like rose of sharon or norway maple in their gardens...both vicious weeds in this area. Deer not much of a problem...knock on wood. Perhaps partly because of the distant but crisp booms of shotguns heard at certain times of year LOL. Music to my ears. (hate the horrid things even more recently: a buck gored my brother's sweet but dumb dog a couple weeks ago. Vet bill to clamp several arteries and repair multiple lacerations? 10K)

* Ulmus parviflora does self-seed a bit, but not nearly the nuisance that native maples, ashes, or cherries are. The seedlings, for the first year, are easier to pull than any of those...and perhaps due to a lack of outcrossing - no other lacebark elms around - there are very few of them. So it seems most seeds are not viable.

** not going to wade in the debate in various soil forums or whatnot, but it is clear that rhodies planted in the areas where I rototilled in permatil or turface 10 years developed deeper root systems and were more resistant to the recent drought than those planted on my standard 'leaf litter atop clayey loam'. Still I'm just reported my results, not actually 'recommending' what I did. I have no use for the controversy. Also showing more drought resistance were the rhodies planted on the 'hugelkultur' mound I created...so maybe that will be an acceptable alternative to those who cannot abide by the rototilling. Even though it's a known practice for golf course and athletic field maintenance.

Marilyn_Sue thanked davidrt28 (zone 7)
  • bengz6westmd

davidrt, my Ulmus parviflora flowers profusely in Sept w/the accompanying hum of honeybees working them, then the branches bend from the seed masses, but I've never seen a seedling. Apparently none are viable -- no other compatible elms around.

And there is a certain cryptomeria cultivar planted at a Hagerstown rest home that none of them ever show any browning or branch loss no matter how cold/snowy the winter is.

Marilyn_Sue thanked bengz6westmd
  • Marilyn_Sue

I did not put down any of the fruit trees and red bud and dogwood I have planted. I have close to seven acres and most is woods. Maybe 3 acres are not. Can't grow a peach or cherry tree, darned deer kill them. Other than that, the deer don't bother anything else for me. Raccoons, that is another story.

Sue in Central Indiana

• Anne

I am in DMV (dc,md,va) and we have multiple firs , black walnut, maple, what we call weed trees. Anyone hear about the call for donations of walnuts? The dept of natl resources or something wants them and I can’t find the info

Marilyn_Sue thanked Anne
  • bengz6westmd

Anne, blacks walnuts are one of the most numerous "weed" trees here in west MD. Literally thousands & thousands of them everywhere. The nuts actually have a stronger, superior taste than the store-bought English walnuts, but very difficult to both crack the nut then retrieve the "meat". Some stores do sell the "meats", but very expensive.

Marilyn_Sue thanked bengz6westmd
  • Jeff Singleton

Zone 5A Central Maine......we have poplar, white birch, ash, red oak, red maple, sugar maple, balsam fir, white spruce, white pine & red pine.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Jeff Singleton
  • Marilyn_Sue thanked functionthenlook
  • Eric Thompson

Here we go

water, willow, blackjack, sawtooth, swamp chestnut, post, burr, red, mexican white, nuttall, swamp chestnut, shumard, southern red and white oak.

sweetgum, texas and fuyu persimmons, ash, southern magnolia, loblolly, shortleaf and longleaf pine, sassafras, chinese silk tree, chinese tallow(trying very hard to get rid of this disgusting tree), sugarberry, black tupelo, black willow, devils walking stick, bald cypress, common button bush,sycamore ,eastern red cedar, china berry, crepe myrtle, 2 kinds of elms, think they are American and winged elm, 3 or 4 different types of hickories, hercules club, yaupon, black locust, e.hopehornbeam, sweetbay magnolia, sliver maple, sugar maple, red mulberry, redbud, wax myrtle, methly plum, keifer pear, mexican plum and chinese chesnutt.

Some of these I planted myself. Could name a few more but they have died off like the black walnut.

Some could or could not be considered trees. Only 2 we seem to have problems witch are the tallow and yauon. Both grow out off hand.

The fastest growing tree we have is the black willow but very brittle.

Slowest is the post oak, but awesome tree. Very tough, but does not like anything to mess with it root system though.

Best and fastest wind screen is loblolly pine.

Favorite tree will be white oak, but for now its the swamp chestnutt oak.

As you can tell wildlife love our place.

worst mammal, hogs, hogs and more hogs. Favorite mammal whitetail deer

Marilyn_Sue thanked Eric Thompson
  • Eric Thompson

The only tree i wish we did have is the flowering dogwood,

Marilyn_Sue thanked Eric Thompson
  • Lars

Eric, it sounds like you live in Texas, like my brother. My brother's friend Randy Tate was in two episode of American Hoggers.

When I lived in Austin, I had a Spanish Oak tree in the front yard, and the back yard went down to a creek that had I don't know what. I had nicer trees when I lived in Houston, but I don't remember what they were, except for the banana tree in the back yard. I think I had a live oak in the front yard, which was common in my neighborhood (Montrose).

Marilyn_Sue thanked Lars
  • lgmd_gaz

benzg6westmd, the black walnut is a very numerous tree here in west PA too. And as you say the nuts are hard to crack...but worth the work. I have seen many on the ground that squirrels have halved, but this one in my pic is a first. I sure wouldn't want to experience the bite of whoever chewed the 4 holes in this one and cleaned out the meat. The shell is still fully intact. I am guessing the resident chipmunk.

Marilyn_Sue thanked lgmd_gaz
  • bengz6westmd

lgmd, whatever chewed thru that prb'ly wore down half their teeth. You could put a tiny candle in it for Halloween....

I've eaten black walnut ice-cream & black walnut cake, & the flavor is wonderful (better than English walnut).

Marilyn_Sue thanked bengz6westmd
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Anne in DMV, the Virginia Dept. of Forestry has this page up on their site: Collecting nuts and seeds to donate

• sjerin

How I wish we could have flowering dogwoods here! When we sold my mom's house in Portland, it was hard to say goodbye to the big, beautiful one she had in front of the house. Gorgeous, but it's just to warm here to get my wish. I do wonder how much longer those trees will thrive in Portland, as the Earth warms.

Marilyn_Sue thanked sjerin
  • mntreegrower

The Twin Cities area & central Minnesota

Native and non-native trees already on site:

Balsam Fir

Boxelder

Silver Maple

Sugar Maple

Roundleaf Serviceberry

Paper Birch

Bitternut Hickory

Black Ash

Green Ash

Eastern Red Cedar

Ironwood

White Spruce

Colorado Spruce

Red Pine

Eastern Cottonwood

Bur Oak

Northern Red Oak

Staghorn Sumac

American Linden

American Elm

Trees I’ve planted besides more of the above:

Red Maple – cultivars Northwood, Scarlet Jewell, Autumn Spire

Sugar Maple – native plus cultivars Fall Fiesta, Green Mountain, Inferno

Blue Beech

White Ash – Northern Blaze cultivar

Black Walnut

Tamarack

Ponderosa Pine

Eastern White Pine

Quaking Aspen – okay, not yet, but next spring I’m putting in a stand of them

White Oak

Swamp White Oak

Northern Pin Oak – just planted one last week!

Canadian Hemlock.....yes, I have a sickness for planting trees.

Marilyn_Sue thanked mntreegrower
  • hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Quercus agrifolia

Magnolia stellata 'Royal Star'

Cupressus 'Swaines Golden'

Lagerstroemia (several)

Pittosporum tenuifolia (several variants thereof)

Syzygium austral (as a tall hedge)

Metrosideros excelsa 'Gala', Metrosideros 'Spring Fire'

Bismarkia noblis

Acer palmatum 'Osio Bene', 'Emperor I',

Cistrus 'Valencia', 'Cara Cara', Key Lime, 'Improved Meyer' Lemon, Mandarin

Avocado 'Fuerte', 'Reed'.

Alluaudia procera

Aloidendron 'Hercules' :

Marilyn_Sue thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Nice. Tree Aloe in the pic with no name?

Marilyn_Sue thanked HU-435404624
  • djacobz568sewi

I live in the city on a typical sized lot, small. I have a beech tree at the curb, which is really a city tree, but I reap the benefits of the shade, I also have a large “true” red maple (I was told this by an arborist—- the leaves are more cranberry colored. Doesn’t turn those beautiful red and gold colors that other maples do.) I also have a box elder (that has been problematic), a weeping Picea Pungens #5 the blues (which I understand will certainly outgrow my yard. I was given wrong info when I purchased) two arborvitae trees, a dwarf Japanese Maple, a Lions Head JP, dwarf weeping pussywillow tree and a Limelight Hydrangea tree. I also have two ancient lilac “bushes” which are more like small trees..... :-)

Marilyn_Sue thanked djacobz568sewi