shive_gw

Favorite Reds of the 2019 Season

shive
October 20, 2019
last modified: October 20, 2019

Post your favorite reds of this past season. Because Houzz hides the earlier posts (more than 70 on the purples!), please upload only your top favorites. I'm suggesting that you not post more than 10. Orange and all shades of it, including peach, melon and apricot will be the next color.

My two top favorites were

The Ultimate Sacrifice - I love the look of this one, and it's the ultimate parent.

Buddy's Red Head - Great rebloomer and pod setter

Debra

• Nancy 6b

Fitzasaurus

Yeah, maybe more pink than red? Spinal Tap

• Nancy 6b

Santa's Pants

Thin Man

I don't have many true reds, and apparently I did not get pictures of the 2 new ones I got. I did not show Spacecoast Francis Busby since I am so limited to photos in a post, but I can attest to everything Debra says about it, a great plant. I want to add some reds, I think The Ultimate Sacrafice may need to be on my list. I do have a few others, but not favorites.

POLL: Favorite Fall Decor?

I voted for the mums, but I also liked the outside branches brought inside. However, I thought the room was too overdone with the pumpkin light fixture and orange pillows. It bordered on too cheesy to me.

Favorite piece of furniture?

This pier mirror from the mid 1800s. It was probably in a home during the civil war that was destroyed by fire because it has smoke and heat damage on the back of it. I was working on a restoration job with a master restorer, John Sansbury, and he taught me how to gold leaf. We stripped the mirror and for the gesso on it and he died while lobster diving in Florida. So I gold leafed it by myself and then antiqued and shellacked it. So proud of the way it turned out and I have a lot of great memories.

What's your favorite brand of cookware?

I have huge collection of cookware sets as well as pots and pans. Among them I always like Nonstick and stainless steel pan because this pans are very useful for making any instant dishes for my family and kids. Whenever I want to cook anything for my kids the pan is always beside my hand and I can feel comfort in cooking any type of delicious dishes. I found many kinds of nonstick pan in amazon.com and always buy from there. but before buying from there I always try to find the best reviews about that product then decide to buy it. Few days ago I ordered Calphalon Unison Nonstick Slide Surface Omelette Pan in amazon, when I feel satisfied by reading the customer review from the best researchers. Yesterday I got this product in my hand and I found same specification included in it which I found in that review.

What's your favorite color?

The natural lighting in a room can make a difference in color choice. I like to mix colors my room color in different bases to change the intensity. If given one choice I am a yellow person. I think it helps with grey days in the Pacific Northwest that we have and makes sunny days glow. That being said I have cocoa brown, pale peach, white, sage, and a few in between in my house.
  • Brad KY 6b

Lots of very nice reds. Debra, you've done some nice crosses with them.

I'm making collages again.

Red Viper and Scarlet Pimpernel.

Milano Crimson Tide and Red Volunteer

• Brad KY 6b

Acquire the Fire and Brave World

Red Grace and Kent's Favorite Two

• Brad KY 6b

Forsysth Flying Dragon and Gadsden Goliath

Cherry Treat

• celeste

My favorite red, MARIETTA WARRIOR

My next favorite red, for it's awesome performance, is SMUGGLER'S FIRE

GLORY IN RED

• celeste

I'm going to observe the 10 photo limit but have to do these in sets of 3 on account of Houzz glitches.

COURT TROUBADOUR, incredible performance every year

SCARLET PANSY

SPIDER MAN

• shive

Sherry - I never enter posts through the bell. I always click on the word daylilies and only photos in the first post are large. Are you having the problem with many of the posts being hidden?

Debra

• shive

Alex - I really like the unknown seedling!

Harold - Red Hot Returns is a pretty one!

Nancy 6b - What's the name of the one you say is more pink than red? I like it!

Debra

• celeste

WHIP CITY SWEET HONEY BEA

A new one this year, kinda funky but I love it.....HONEY, I SHRUNK THE CAT

Lots of people grow this one but it's always on my favorites list.....RUBY SPIDER

THAT MAKES NINE SO I WILL POST ONE MORE, below

• Brad KY 6b

Impetuosity [poor bud count, will eventually be gone] & Rob Cobb

Christmas Day and Cherry Cheeks

• celeste

I hard a hard time deciding who would be my final one, but I had to include this one for it's performance and deep red color:

VESUVIAN

• shive

Brad - Acquire the Fire is such a nice one. I remember when I used to grow it how sunfast it was.

Celeste - Smuggler's Fire is a fantastic clump!

Debra

• Brad KY 6b

Hot Wheels

That's all the reds I'm posting

Brad

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Debra, I’ve seen the link to see previous posts once on the pinks, I entered through the “bell” that time.

• Nancy 6b

Sorry, I did not label Spinal tap as the sort of pink red, i edited to correct that. I think it was listed as a strawberry pink, but i think of strawberries as red. A great plant that blooms well, multiplies well, nice height, I really like it.

Debra, you have so many great red seedlings.

Love Marietta Warrior! A beautiful red.

• Brad KY 6b

Celeste, I really like MARIETTA WARRIOR and Sherry Reindeer Antlers. I find it harder to pick favorites when the posts are so spread out.

• samhain10 - 5a

I feel the same way, Brad - it's sort of overwhelming.

BTW - Hot Wheels - wow, my fav.

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a

Well, as I've only posted 4, maybe I'll try a couple more. This is seedling Summer Flirtation x Suburban Carey Roberts - obviously more than just red, but seems more red than anything else to me:

Kate's red NOID - another of the "rescues", presumably registered - does anyone recognize it? Such a lovely orange-y eye, rather like Cherry Cheeks but shape seems different:

Alex

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Nope. Wouldn't take my two. Try again.......Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Debra: I like both of your seedlings out of Ultimate Sacrifice. Look forward to seeing how they develop for you.......Celeste: I really like your Marietta Warrior. The color is described as "bing cherry" which sounds luscious.......Brad: The deep red and colorfast/sunfast qualities of Acquire the Fire has kept it in my garden even as I continue to cut back AND it didn't even bloom this year. Yours is gorgeous

I'll try adding my two to the red mix again:

A small one that is rouge red in summer with more orange red in fall. It does repeat so that's why I see the color change: Colorfast/sunfast:

Mexican Maiden:

I don't think I'll press my luck with two............Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Wouldn't even take one. Try again with Mexican Maiden:

Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

For my second hat trick: How about Rudy. Not a UF fan as most know, so was surprised at how this appealed to me. Sunfast/colorfast first year plant that was well budded and did remarkably well considering it was still in a 6 inch pot. We will see what it does next year in a bigger pot:

RUDY:

Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Well that second one was interesting. The picture of Rudy went in the post just fine and just as I was about to hit the submit button it disappeared right before my eyes into thin air. My post was then sitting there just like the first one with the text in place, but no accompanying photo. Folks, this isn't something we can fix on our side. It's Houzz.............Maryl

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Maryl, I’m glad you persevered! Mexican Maiden is a beauty as is Rudy.

Sherry

• harold100

Finally choosing my faves.

Celeste's Scarlet Pansy and Brad's Christmas Day. I'm crazy for the bold reds. Will have to shop around for those.

• Nancy 6b

Absolutely love Rudy! Sherry, I recently got Reinderr Antlers, and all your fault. Wanting more reds and I think your photos convinced me on that one

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

LOL, I’m an enabler!

Sherry

• samhain10 - 5a

I second Nancy's vote for Rudy - wow!

Alex

• signet_gw(6b)

Here are my choices.

• signet_gw(6b)

OOOh Brad . I love love love your image of Hot Wheels ! Alex , your red unknown from seed is a beauty. Debra , you have sooooo many gorgeous reds. Real reds. I love a true red. Not a blue red , not a pink red but real reds . I don't think any other color can match a good red.

• Brad KY 6b

Thanks Heather.

Many called "red" need to be called something else, such as lavender-red, rosy-red, red-orange, etc. The same with purple. Many of them are a shade of violet-red.

• shive

Signet - You have some outstanding red clumps! Mine are not true reds. If you are looking at these on an IPAD, those always add red to my photos. The Ultimate Sacrifice is a burgundy red. Buddy's Red Head is a pinkish red. Betty Bush is a rosy red. SC Francis Busby is an orangey red.

Debra

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Well, I lost the first post, so here goes to number two.

Debra, you always have amazing reds, but Betty Bush is my favorite today. I am adding it to my wish list.

Sherry, we just added Reindeer Antlers and can't wait to see it bloom next season.

Celeste, I love the rich color of Vesuvian.

Black Velvet Baby is a marvelous small daylily with flowers of 3.5 inches and a scape taller than the registered 24 inches. It is not very pod fertile, though.

I love the watermark on Carnal Emporium.

More to come . . .

Nancy

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

I was afraid Cherry Top Hat might not be hardy, but so far, so good. It's a large flat flower from Mark Carpenter.

This was Colorful Chaos Nelli's first season to bloom in the garden and it didn't disappoint.

More to come . . .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Ok, lost another post. Trying again.

Crossfire has been in the garden for many years. It is more black than it appears in the photo (very hard to photograph), and is not very tall, but is hardy and vigorous. It is also a late bloomer.

We bought Heavenly Dark Knight because it has blackish scapes. It is quite tall too.

More to come . . .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Hell on Heels is new to the garden. Look at all those buds behind the flower!

Hold the Matches is a very large flower and an early bloomer too. It was a bonus plant.

More to come . . .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Last pair--

Little Red Dumples is one of the reasons I love bonus plants. It actually has a black sheen over the petals--very hard to photograph and in all the years of trying, this is my best pictures. It's a true miniature--small flower with plant in proportion. The scapes can be like miniature trees--so many buds.

When Home of the Free is good, it is lovely. At other times, it gets hung up or is splotchy or misshapen. This is another bonus.

There's my 10.

Nancy

• shive

Hoosier Nancy - Carnal Emporium is striking. After seeing you and Mantis post it, I added it this fall. Crossfire is a nice one. I have it, but it hasn't performed well in two years. I think it's roots got gobbled by Junebug grubs. Betty Bush would be a good one for you to add. It's a good pod and pollen parent.

Debra

• samhain10 - 5a

Really like Alberene and Hold the Matches!

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a

No one's posted Elmore James so I'll give posting a go, since I haven't reached my 10 yet.

Elmore James:

Love the color and the height, but wish it didn't recurve quite so much - crossed it with one of the Stabias, which should help.

And here's a duo of one of the Marvelous Madness seedlings - it likes to cristate, which I love!

Alex

• signet_gw(6b)

Hoosier_nan , Carnal Emporium is very nice but Home of the Free ( at least your image of it ) is breathtaking!

• KarenPA_6b

Wow, just gorgeous everyone! I am a bit behind with the posts as i was away the weekend for a conference. So many wonderful photos had been uploaded since. I totally agree with your sentiment, Signet! Hope you don't mind I copied and pasted it here as I feel exactly as you expressed regarding a good red daylily.

" Real reds. I love a true red. Not a blue red , not a pink red but real reds . I don't think any other color can match a good red."

Your seedlings are so beautiful, Debra! How do they hold up by the afternoon? Would love to see and hear more of them next year. Besides your seedlings, I also like Betty Bush and Francis Bugsby. Do these still look good by 1PM?

I also like Reindeer Antlers, Rudy, and MARIETTA WARRIOR. I may look to add Mexican Maiden to my garden for its sunfast quality.

Here are the favorites from my garden this year.

Ring of Magnetism

Karen stephens

• KarenPA_6b

Spacecoast Dark Obsession

Intertwined Entity has an interesting UF. It does look like an entity from a scifi show.

• shive

Karen - Ring of Magnetism makes a stunning clump! All of the Ultimate Sacrifice kids were first time bloomers. They held their color well this past season, but we had a cooler June and early July than normal. They did not face the mid or high 90s that we normally have. At temps of 90-91 the colors held well all day. Both Betty Bush and SC Francis Busby hold their color until about 3 p.m. on days with temps from 93-99.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b

Karen, intertwined Entity and Ring of Magnetism are very pretty and very interesting.

Maryl, I like Rudy too. Nancy, I like Carnal Emporium. Celeste: I like Honey I Shrunk the Cat.

• signet_gw(6b)

I can't believe I forgot this one

• samhain10 - 5a

Nice one, Heather!