shive_gw

Favorite Oranges of the 2019 Season

shive
October 22, 2019

Post your favorite oranges here. That includes all shades. Peach, melon and apricot will fall in this category. The next color will be lavender.

Here are my two top favorites:

Coastal Grand always makes a beautiful clump.

The flowers on Maui Sunrise were bigger than they have ever been.

Debra

• samhain10 - 5a

Maryl - my Gaudy Gaudy seedling looks very similar to your Orange Smoothie. Interesting.

Alex

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

A peachy pink new one this year that has large flowers and shows promise:

To God Be The Glory:

Throw in a little variety with the double:

No Way Jose:

Glowing Quasar:

Maryl

POLL: Favorite room in your home?

We love our living room and use it all the time, especially since there are usually toys all over the family room. The fireplace is wonderful in cool weather and we have a modern concrete top table that we use as a game table. I also set out apps on the table when entertaining. We also have ukuleles and an electric guitar in the room so often play music there. And I like to practice yoga and read in front of the fire. My husband and I will have drinks or read there too after the kids are in bed. It is always a place of relative calm and order.

POLL: Favorite accessories?

I buy anything that has to do with the kitchen. I recently bought coasters, snail tea bag holder (aren't they cute), trivet and etc. My daughter is worried that I'll become a kitchenware/cookware hoarder when we move into our new home as we will have plenty of cupboard space.

POLL: Favorite outdoor room?

I chose the Garden Style because while the others were lovely, most of us can hope to attain a garden in which we can relax. I especially liked the trellis in the background and the comfortable-looking coach. The Marakesh style had awesome lanterns and wood ceiling, the Alpine had wonderful wood features, Beach Deck had a great view, Americana was charming, Southwestern had a really neat-looking outdoor fireplace, Tropical looked like it could actually take rain, and Nautical had a nice porch so it was a hard choice. ^^

Tell us: What's your favorite holiday tradition?

Our Christmas day springs to life right out of the movies. After watching the 1953 Alistar Sims version of Scrooge, A Christmas Story marathon will begin. I do not ever think I have seen it all the way through, lol. Since my husband has worked the last several Christmases we took our cue from the movie. We either eat out or get take home Chinese Food. Fra rah rah. After reading our fortune cookies we scratch lottery tickets by the Leg lamp light;) The night winds up on a sweet note with my homemade best ever childhood memory Christmas cookies. I use to launch the tree out the door at midnight but as I got older it just doesn't seem like a rush to do anymore. I now wait until the light of the next day;) Merry Christmas and FRA RAH RAH !!!
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

We grow lots of oranges. Here are some of the best.

Sea of Cinders is one of our all time favorites. It blooms in April in the greenhouse and then reblooms later in the season. It is still blooming in fact. It's not very hardy, though. We have one in the ground that has survived for several years and we have lost several in the ground too. It sets seeds well and we have some nice seedlings out of it.

This is the second season for A Man Called Trout and it looks like it likes it here.

More to come . . .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Belief in Vein is not one of my favorites, but Bob likes it. It is a great grower.

Bob Marley is another good orange.

More to come . . .

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

That was an interesting experiment. After numerous attempts to post more then two pictures and having the whole post just go "poof" and disappear into thin air when I hit submit, I decided to go with the flow and post just the 2 pictures. After it was accepted and posted on the forum I went back to the post , hit edit and added a 3rd picture. By gosh, it took! I had 3 pictures posted under the same header. Wonder if it would work for any of you all having the 2 picture problem? I have other things to do then mess with this right now, so maybe someone else can try it out..............Maryl

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Buddy's Betsy, along with Lava Flow, are two of our earliest to bloom.

Lava Flow is more orange red than orange.

More to come . . .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Key West Sunset has a nice watermark.

Light Forbes is new to the garden. Bob was really happy with this one.

More to come . . .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Well, I don't know what happened. I was successful posting all but the last one. I'll try again.

Mighty Chestnut is more of a burnt orange. It is a vigorous grower.

It won't let me post Old Time Memories. So I'll stop here.

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Nancy/Alex: Would you please tell me your experience with Gaudy Gaudy. I really can't afford to add more that are duds due to my space/time constraints. I see Alex that you say it looks a bit like the yellowish stage of Orange Smoothie. I'm interested in it because it's described as a late gold. That's what I want. A late GOLDen yellow full faced flower. I know this isn't the yellow forum, but I really would like to know since it's been brought up by you all..............Maryl

• samhain10 - 5a

Maryl - mine is a seedling of Gaudy Gaudy, which is - according to the photos I've seen - a true yellow gold, not the color which my seedling shows. The seed was gifted to me by hoosier Nancy, so she will be able to tell you what the original plant is like. I can only add that this particular seedling is a winner as far as the plant goes - a strong, tall, late bloomer

Alex

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Thank you Alex. I hope Hoosier Nancy is still checking this thread. I remember her posting Gaudy Gaudy years ago and it looked nice, but she doesn't mention it much..............Maryl

• signet_gw(6b)

It gets harder and harder to choose what ones attract me . Debra I love your image of Maui Sunrise and I have got to track down Wheel of Time . What a bloom !

Sherry/ MaryL Orange Smoothie ......yum ! Sherry I love your image of Purple Maze I find it hard to capture Read Winds real colors too! Pizza Crust is in a spot that has not allowed it to bloom for several years. Working on getting so many moved . Pizza Crust will be one of those that will have to wait until next spring.

MaryL Glowing Quasar is so so pretty !

Alex , your Gaudy Gaudy seedling is a looker! How lucky are you ! Your Pineapple Bites seedlings are proof positive that you just never know what you will get from seeds . Hard to believe those 2 are sibs.

Hoosier_nan ......your Sea of Cinders really needs to come to my gardens if I can find it . I think I need to find a home for Lava Flow . I just personally dont like an orange with a red eye. Same as I don't like a pink with a red eye . Mighty Chestnut was added here last summer but the eye is more muted than Lava Flow . For me the jury is still out on that one . Maybe I will just move those two out to where the chickens reside opening up a couple of spaces for two new ones to fill their spots. Key West Sunset is lovely .

• lilykate7a

Apache Sunrise-was supposed to be at the bottom of this post! Oh me, always surprises when you post!

There are so many lovelies on here. Too many to single out! This is a color that draws you across the garden and so many variations. I am almost embarrassed to admit I have 3400 pics on my phone, most of which have not been uploaded to my computer so will attempt to post again from phone! it would be easier if my iPad was not lying broken in my office!

Golden Globe-I think it has every color in this category!

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Maryl, we have grown Gaudy Gaudy for many years. It's a great grower but the scape is not very tall. The color is quite sunfast (if my memory serves).

• lilykate7a

Golden Child-what a bloomer!

• lilykate7a

Tried two pics-only took one. Maybe just one more.

Decided to go with Prickly Sensation-blooms early and often.

• lilykate7a

Sorry, I do need to add just one more! I love the uniqueness of this one. Pointed Perfection

• KarenPA_6b

I don't have many orange daylilies so this thread is such a treat! There are too many gorgeous ones! I need to check out Venus's Fire, Sea of Cinders, Apache Sunrise, all of Maryl's oranges.

Maryl, you sure have a fabulous collection of orange! I really really want all the ones you have posted.

Kate, love your Golden Globe and Pointed Perfection! GG is so beautiful!

Santa Cruz

Indian Dreams

• KarenPA_6b

Seedling Cougar X Horns

Summa Cum Laude

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Great seedling, Karen! Almost red?

Sherry

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Maryl, Gaudy Gaudy is a keeper. We (especially Bob) love it. I don't mention it often because I haven't taken a picture of it recently. We got several good pictures years ago, so I just don't photograph it--too many others to photograph especially seedlings. I tried to insert a picture here, but Houzz won't load it.

Karen, your Cougar X Horns seedling is amazing. I hope it is a good grower. The seedlings we have gotten from Horns have been good growers.

To everyone wanting Sea of Cinders, it might be hard to find. I don't know of any sources. We bought it from Guidry's Daylily Garden but they don't list it anymore. It's a Salter, but they usually only list their most recent intros. We only have as many as we do (2 plants) because early on it produced several proliferations. It hasn't done that since. It just doesn't increase for us. It really is a shame because it is a beautiful flower.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Thank you Nancy for your Gaudy Gaudy report. Can't add anything without subtracting something (or that's the plan anyway). Maybe you will be able to post a picture when we do the yellows? I also meant to say how much I like Key West Sunset. Very pretty.........Kate: An especially good shot of Apache Sunrise. It will change colors depending on the heat. I've seen mine look just like yours. Nice...........Alex: Nectre of the Gods is another one I Iiked of yours.........Karen: Thanks for the thumbs up on my oranges. Your Santa Cruz attracts me with it's excellent form and ruffled edges. Those edges get me every time..........I'll post a couple more of mine under another header so the comments don't get lost if the picture disappears...........Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

A later blooming orange that is a good one it seems to be in everyones garden.

Coral Majority

Another one I've had forever and is a permanent fixture with me:

Coral Corduroy:

Maryl

• KarenPA_6b

Coral Corduroy is lovely too!

THanks Nancy and Sherry. Sherry, it is a fiery orange red. Nancy, it is good to know that Horns makes good kids. It certainly makes very tall kids! This seedling is almost 4ft tall. It also shows vague striping on some flowers. I like to cross it with Explosiion in the Paint Factory to see whether the striping will be produced in its offspring. Hope I can get EitPF someday.

• shive

Maryl and Kate - I do like Apache Sunrise in both your gardens!

I can't believe I left out Indian Ripple. Maybe I forgot it because it's a late.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Debra: I love Indian Ripple. It's another one I won't do without. Often my last to bloom, it's so unique.............. I don't have a good picture of it recently, but perhaps someone else does of South Seas. That is another oldie but goldie............Maryl

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Karen, crossing your seedling with Explosion in the Paint Factory sounds like a good idea to me. One of our seedlings out of Horns has midribs on the sepals as well as the petals. I have wondered if it could be used with Clown Pants, which has striped sepals. Here is a picture of the seedling. The other parent is Ashwood Inferno.

• Brad KY 6b

Nancy: Texas Heatwave is my favorite of yours. I too like the watermark. Maryl, Key West Sunset is a great color; love both the Corals. I have Coral Majority and it is a great bloomer. I've never seen Coral Corduroy before. Kate, both of yours are causing me to want more! Apache Sunrise is such a beauty-form and color really hit me. So does Golden Globe! I love daylilies with multiple colors like it. Heather, Smoky Mt. Autumn is such a beauty.

• Nancy 6b

Lots of nice ones, I will comment later, just want to get my few oranges posted if I can

Autumn Wood, photo does not show how really pretty it is, it does not capture true color

Citrix

• Nancy 6b

Sailor Sky was one of the best bloomers in my garden this year, only on its 2nd year too. Almost looks pink here, but one of those difficult colors to describe

Orange Velvet

I know I took pictures of Mr. Skeffington and Mean Green, both bloomed great, and 1st year for Mr. Skeffington. I will post later if I find the photos.

• Brad KY 6b

Nancy, just like my Orange Velvet photos, yours looks yellow too. No matter how I take the picture they never look orange enough.

• Nancy 6b

I know Brad, maybe because my camera is getting old and not doing as good as it once did. Still seems better than my phone.

So many pretty ones, but my very favs are to God Be the Glory, Glowing Quasar, Pointed Perfection, Santa cruz, Coral Corduroy, Wheel of Time, Connamon Sunrise. Several seedling caught my eye too.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Since you were talking about it, Mr Skeffington, had a few blooms new to the garden. Nancy, from Laura, like mine?

sherry

• Nancy 6b

Yes, Sherry, from Laura. Reminds me a bit of Wisest of Wizards, but was covered with blooms. I was so impressed for 1st year plant.

• harold100

Mauna Loa. She chose not to bloom this year for some unknown reason.

Kwanza. A triple petal. Given to me by a friend 15 years ago, before I started collecting the more modern ones.

• shive

Harold - I grow Mauna Loa too. It has excellent color that just glows!

Debra

• harold100

Thanks Debra. I'm hoping mine bloom better next year since I just had a very tall maple removed which shaded them until 1 pm.

• signet_gw(6b)

Hi Harold, I grow both those daylilies too. Kwaza Flore Pleno ( the triple bloom ) is really popular around here . I guess because everyone is used to seeing fulva (single bloom ) growing in the ditches but have never seen the triple bloom before . Funny you should say that Mauna Loa didn't bloom for you this year . Mine didn't either . It was one of several that chose not to bloom due in most part I believe because of the severe drought we experienced from May through to September . I have several plants that did nothing this season past and are now putting out scapes because we are actually getting some good rains now . I hope to see some bloom before frost nips them in the bud .

Great image of both by the way !

• signet_gw(6b)

LilyKate wow love your image of Apache Sunrise . That one is going on my list for sure ! So very pretty !

• harold100

Thanks Signet. We had decent rain through the spring and early summer but just went through a 10-week drought. Finally had slow overnight rain 3 times in the last 10 days. I water my daylilies about every 10 days so as not to cause root rot. I recently trim down my foliage and gave them a light dressing of composted cow manure and Starbucks coffee grinds. Now they are growing like it is springtime.

Someone on this forum recently said that they apply a mulch for the winter. Is that really the proper thing to do or would that cause too much root rot?

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

My thoughts on mulch for daylilies are from my own experience.......... Mulch attracts slugs like crazy, and slugs love freshly opened daylily blooms; especially those that open up early the night before during a slugs prime feeding time. Also, rolly pollies and other moist dark environment critters congregate around the crowns of daylilies and feed. Mulch does stave off drought, but in winter cold wet roots and wet mulch around the crown of the plant do the daylilies no favors. Now I'm in zone 7, so I can't attest to the advantages of mulch in a colder zone, but we can get down to single digits here, so it's not exactly a tropical paradise. As always with gardening techniques - mileage may vary..........Maryl

• harold100

Thanks Maryl. That would be my opinion on it too. I have lost a few lilies to overwatering and learned my lesson. So far I have not had slugs on my lilies but sure do not wish to encourage it.

I am also in zone 7 on the southern edge of Virginia. Our Winters usually get down to about 20 degrees here. I believe it helps out that my lilies must be planted right against my concrete driveway. It charges up with heat during the day and holds it nicely overnight.

• Brad KY 6b

Harold, I really like Mauna Loa. It is such a great orange.

I use mulch, but I like several others use pine needles [pine straw]. Slugs don't like it, it doesn't seem to cause rot and it fertilizes the soil. I have better colors since I've used it. However, it needs refreshed yearly. Fortunately I can get all I want free at my church, which has a large property surrounded by pine trees.

Brad

• shive

I agree with Brad about using pine needles as mulch.

Debra

• samhain10 - 5a

I use the straw or hay that was used the previous year for insulating the cat shelters. Yes, slugs do like to hide in the straw, but slugs will hide anywhere that it is not bare ground. As far as daylilies are concerned, I have not had that much of an issue with them eating the buds. And sprinkling diatomaceous earth around the base of the plants has helped with them, when they do start to be a problem. In my zone 5a, the mulch has been of benefit in keeping in moisture in those areas which are sandier loam, and in helping insulate through the winter. And if frost heaving tends to be an issue, if one waits till the ground freezes before applying the mulch, then this can prevent premature thawing until spring comes on.

Alex

• signet_gw(6b)

You can always use crushed egg shells as slug deterrent around your plants if you dont want to spend money on diatomaceous earth.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Since no one else posted a picture of it, I'll post an older one of mine. This daylily was recommended by just about everyone on this forum years ago as a must have. I think that holds true today.

South Seas:

Maryl

• Brad KY 6b

Maryl, I have it, Coral Majority and Smoky Mt Autumn saved for the Coral category. Definitely not forgotten!

Brad

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Brad: That's a great trio and a good addition to anyone's garden.........Maryl

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Maryl, this is Bob, using Nancy's login since I'm lazy and she is still logged on. Gaudy Gaudy has been totally reliable in every way and produces consistently well-formed blooms. It's similar to Jumble Edge, if you know that one, but has much better formed blooms. My only complaint is height...it's a shorter one! Always displays its blooms well, above the foliage, but I like them taller. It's a bit more lemon yellow in cooler weather, but shows more gold in heat. The top photo is on a hot day and the bottom in cooler weather.