katyajini

Please help me choose a mauve...

katyajini
October 24, 2019

At first I was not paying close attention and I did not realize just what a beautiful a color this is on roses. I have bought Lavender Crush. And Ebb Tide and Twilight Zone, dark purple roses. I think I could do with one or two more mauve/lavender roses. I want them to be floriferous, fragrant and on the blue rather than the pink side. However I am open to all possibilities as I know there are not that many mauves to choose from.

Ben has suggested Brabra Streisand and Neptune both very fragrant. Nanadoll showed Love Song, though not fragrant so beautiful. I saw pictures of Angel Face also very beautiful. There is Fragrant Plum and Plum Perfect, Melody Perfumee and I am sure more..Please suggest to me the one(s) you like and why and help me choose.

Oh and there is a new mauve-ish one called Perfume Factory, supposedly very fragrant. Anyone know more about perfume factory?

• katyajini

All of you must have seen this thread already. Some mauve/lavender roses side by side, a very helpful visual:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5306298/comparing-a-few-lavender-toned-roses

I meant to ask has anyone grown Sultry Sangria? I saw it on the HRs website.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I miss Cori Ann

katyajini thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Need help choosing paint colors for my kitchen! Please help me!

Great changes! I love Home Depots Behr paint "Wheat Bread". Great neutral color that would look great with your cabinets and would help the white door and window and trim not stand out so much. If you don't love the valance above your window, I would get rid of it and clean off the window sill as well. Really like the new wood flooring!

PLEASE help me choose countertop color today!

I don't think the arabesque tile goes with your kitchen either. I also think it's going to be one of those things that won't wear well and will quickly look dated (sort of like those busy-busy mosaic backsplashes which I think already look passé). There are lots of wonderful glass tiles out there - I'd stick with a subway tile shape. If you can incorporate some floating shelves in a similar finish, that might help tie that range hood in. But I still think you need to consider doing it in white...I am just afraid that it's going to look like it's wandered into the wrong kitchen. I think the Lusso will be fine - it's got more life to it than the Frosty Carrina. You don't have room for an island judging from the photos you've posted. You need about 42-48" between an island and counter and you don't have enough space to do that on both sides of an island, no matter how thin it is. Anyway - don't stress about how this has come together - lots of people start with a "given" that they can't change for one reason or other - whether it's a floor or cabinets - so don't beat yourself up about that. Let's face it - it's rare to have a completely blank slate, where anything is possible!

Please help me choose correct style and size light fixture !

Here's a cool one that has some of the feel of your current fixture, but a more definite presence in the space: A few other possibilities that keep a modern feel: If you add glass, then you get into trying to coordinate with the island fixture, which adds difficulty, but not prohibitively so... Hope this helps. Most of these are pretty affordable...

please help me choose materials for my master bathroom!

Yes, Tooo busy. Especially Berywyn!! There is nothing wrong with a solid top on a vanity. It's "broken up" by sink/s anyway. The quickest route to failure in a bath is too many stars in your "cast".
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

Glad to help folks! When you've killed as many roses as I have sometimes all you're left with is encyclopedic knowledge. I agree with Flowers that snow cover can make a huuuuuuge difference in winter survival. In my experience, as much as a zone or more different. Last year we had one of our snowiest winters and I had one of my best winter survival rates ever even though it got way below zero for spells. Under the snow it's always 33 degrees and there's no wind damage. I should change my zone listing to "dry zone 5 without reliable snow cover". Charles de Gaulle is a large and very impressive flower and I've never seen it anything but lavender, kind of like Poseidon. I recommend it, along with all the rest of group 1.

I have Sultry Sangria in my protected spot and it blooms nicely along with the rest. It's a short bush that spreads out a little, perhaps would be 3' by 3' in your zone. The color is a dark purplish color kind of like Twilight Zone.

I miss Cori Ann too.

Cynthia

katyajini thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Yes, thank you so much Cynthia!

Katya, Heirloom is wonderfully fragrant and wafts very well for me—I think you’d really like that one, even though its more mauve than lavender. :-)

katyajini thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Feiy Lo

Heirloom is tough and fragrant, but it is easy to get BS. Poseidon repeats well though mine is in part shade. I love its petal shape, which brings a sense of elegance. My Quicksilver is young, vigorous. The first year it has two 4-feet basal breaks. I'm expecting what it will look like when mature. I also have Le Petite Prince. Very large and fragrant flowers with a color of pale lavender. This is very new to me as well. However, it has grown as a 3-feet high decent plant full of leaves. Well-branched, no long legs. I'm satisfied with it. I don't know how hardy it is though.

katyajini thanked Feiy Lo
  • katyajini

Thank you again, Cynthia, Perma!

Feiy, thanks! where do you garden?

• Feiy Lo

I'm is Seattle area, Z8.

katyajini thanked Feiy Lo
  • katyajini

I meant to ask, if possible I should get lavender/mauve/purple roses grafted as much as possible right? Isnt the the common wisdom? They tend to be puny and slow growers?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Geeze. now I want a Charles DeGaulle but where to stuff hhim him ? Earth Angel better look out

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Oh Kristine, I was just thinking where to plant Lemon Spice and thought of Earth Angel‘s spot. Earth Angel is in danger of extinction by predatory shovels.

katyajini thanked BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
  • katyajini

BenT, I think I am going to get Lemon Spice. Stephanie introduced it in the wafting fragrance thread. Might work nicely! Are you growing it or plan to get it?

• katyajini

So many beautiful lavender and mauves! I am having a tough time deciding. I really thought it would be so easy!

• Lala Idaho Zone 7a

So many pretty ones! I find it very interesting how different the colors are depending on the location, soil or zone. These are all Angel face except I had two ascots mixed in. I liked the color of Angel face and it bloomed all summer but the blooms didn’t last long and there wasn’t much scent.

katyajini thanked Lala Idaho Zone 7a
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Lol, Katya, if it was easy we would all just have 2 or 3 roses.

Ben, what is it about Earth Angel?

I can't put my finger on it. It blooms ok, but the bush is wonky

I just don't connect with it

• katyajini

You are right Kristine! I keep telling my kids, choose, choose, choose! Dont just buy everything, or not prioritize. Every time you choose you define who you are to yourself. Now look at me!!!

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

I bought Lemon Spice this spring, couldn’t be more pleased. It blooms a ton, always producing new growth and more buds, and it’s always wonderfully scented, regardless of weather. It does indeed look and smell of spice and lemon, very well named. The bush is very bushy and thinner stemmed like an old tea, quite attractive. There is a lady on this forum with 2 dozen plants of LS and keeps replacing non-performers with even more LS!

Earth Angel has extremely poor repeat bloom. After an amazing spring flush, it goes crazy with big long lanky blind shoots. Several of my local friends bought it, lured in by its spring beauty, despite my warnings. Every one of them is now complaining about their bloomless sprawling monster. And its got extraordinary disease resistance (impervious!) , Earth Angel has no natural predators to keep it in check other than the shovel,.. so it just keeps producing more blind shoots.

A couple of pics of Love Song to keep things on topic :-)

katyajini thanked BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Gosh I wish Love Song looked like that in my yard. It hates me. Im tempted to try again lol.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Ben. your Love song is fab! I have one coming from Regans

Seeing yours .again really gets me excited for mine

Planted close to Love Song will be a
    Pope John Paul standard rose

Now I just need a spot for Charles DeGaulle

• katyajini

BenT, you are force for evolution! I am so glad I didnt even think about EA. Your LS is gorgeous!

I am thinking of CdG too. Does anyone know or have a bush shot of CdG?

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

For a long time I didn’t want to consider Love Song, I knew it was beautiful , and I only wanted highly fragrant lavenders. Then I saw this planting at a public garden, and just found it irresistible. I do think among the light blue/lavenders, it is by far the most beautiful when you consider the plant habit, generousity, boom form, size, color etc.

Sultry

Maybe you got a dud, I think those fluffy lavender petals would look so nice with green budda frogs

Kristine,

I think PJP and Love Song would be so beautiful together. I have Sugar Moon peeping out behind mine.

Katya,

Not sure you’d want to see my Chuck De Gaulle, he is quite gawky and runty looking. I thought about dressing him up as Love Song or Heirloom for Halloween.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I decided that if I give Earth Angel the shovel I better use the space for a rose already coming that has no spot. So for now no Charles de Gaulle

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Here are a couple of mauves from Freedom Gardens site not yet mentioned here. Henry Karsich and Rosalina. There are a few more, but they tended toward the pink end of things, ie. Paw Maw.

katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Vap, your first two roses, just above, reminded me that I have a similar rose, Lavender Friendship. It is definitely lavender, not pink, a good bloomer and reliably healthy. It is about 1' high, and 6' wide on it's own roots. I need the spot for another rose, so I'm replanting it in a pot next spring. It blooms in pretty trusses that look like a bouquet on one stem. I can't find a single pic of mine, but here's one from HMF. https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.247708

katyajini thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

How PRETTY!!! Marina would have that rose. Is there any she doesn't? ; )) I should just look at all she grows and make my purchases from there, but I fear they would never look so beautiful in my garden.

• katyajini

Vap, thank you for those two suggestions, I love them! I had never heard of them (but thats not new). I find that look so charming and easy to place!

Flowers I love that rose too! 6 feet spread! thats a great rose to know designing special spots!

BenT: Chuck! Charles is turning in his grave. IF you dont mind I would love to see what is a gawky runt in your hands! I too think whites would look good with these mauves/lavenders.

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Katya -- I'm a bit late to the party -- but will echo that Love Song is a gorgeous rose. I have it in the back/middle of my cottage garden. It's hard to get to, which means I can appreciate the rose in all its glory and not wish it was fragrant! Since I know there is no fragrance, I don't injury myself or plants getting to it to smell it! It blooms in big flushes for me -- tons of blooms at once -- but I don't have to wait too long between flushes. I have it between my Poet's Wife and my Carding Mill, and it's quite pretty. I have my Yves Piaget next to it, and this is the first year Yves is looking good - when Yves and Love Song have flowers right next to each other, they look like they just "go together."

katyajini thanked Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)
  • katyajini

Deborah, not late to the party at all! I am still deciding. But LS is one on my list now. I originally wanted a lavender rose to place along a walkway that we will use all the time but changed my plans. I will place LS in the middle of a another bed I am preparing. Thanks for the tip that LS looks just made to be next to YP. Whether I get YP or not I will place LS near a similarly colored rose! I think I have to add some yellow or gold there too, like you say. Thank you for joining in!

• katyajini

OK, so far I have Love Song and Heirloom. Third place might be Fragrant Plum or Melody Perfumee. I might get Blue For You for a small butterfly garden. I have not ordered any of these yet...originally I thought I was only going to get one. Any comments on my choices?

So many of the roses suggested here are still on the table even if for a later time though!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Katya, your garden is going to be a dream!!! Thank you for all of your posts that help bring so many roses to the fore! :D

• Rose Lai

If you live in New York City, there is a good chance that Love Song may not be cold hardy enough. Overall, Love Song is a beautiful rose; there are many rave reviews from gardener in warm places, and it grow really well in California. However, it is also very cold tender and may not be cane hardy. I have heard that people lost canes even in Zone 7. Also if fragrance is very important for you, the fragrance of Love Song is very mild, if exists. In contrast Poseidon is probably more appropriate for those in the cold zones. The lavender is towards blue. It can grow too big in California where I live, but in NYC, it probably is less of an issue. The review is also excellent except in places where summer is too hot.

I didn't see mention of Celestial Night. It is new this year. It did well for me but probably there is not enough experience in your area. Let me see if I can find some photos.

katyajini thanked Rose Lai
  • Rose Lai

Here are a couple of pictures of Celestial Night from the spring

katyajini thanked Rose Lai
  • Rose Lai

here is Celestial Night Standard in the spring, versus my bush in the heat in the summer:

katyajini thanked Rose Lai
  • Rose Lai

Here is Celestial Night with Love Song in my garden

katyajini thanked Rose Lai
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Heirloom is such a great rose.

Mine is new and it really took off.

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

• katyajini

Vap Thank you! I dare not even think I will get it all to work out. Its a big project and most of it is unknown to me. I cant imagine someone would say my garden is going to be a dream. One thing that will probably go wrong is that I will have ordered too many roses. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will hold on to it.

• katyajini

Rose, thank you for that tip. I will change Love Song to Poseidon. The color of P is very similar to LS for me. When I first saw Celestial Nights I loved it! And it looked like it blooms a lot. However no or very little fragrance. I never thought I would like such a dark colored rose but I find I am drawn to it. I have since decided on Ascot and Munstead Wood for the moment. Your pictures look very lovely, specially the one in spring of CN.

• katyajini

Kristine, I am excited to grow heirloom. I have never grown a color llike that before or even a straight HT. Thanks for the recommendation!

• katyajini

While browsing HR I saw another pale lavender rose, a HT called Lagerfeld with great fragrance.

• philipatx

I did a query on another thread earlier today, but will mention here as well: Carmen Wurth is an interesting new rose from Kordes in the color class with exceptional health and strong fragrance.

katyajini thanked philipatx
  • Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Lagerfeld didn’t do well for me, but when I gave it to a neighbor it knocked his socks off. I guess it needed full sun all day in the hills above the coast! A lavender rose.

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Also - I LOVED heirloom. Gopher got mine.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

You’ll love Heirloom. No rose works harder, and the fragrance is very good, too. The color is frequently described as lilac, and it is indeed the color of lilacs we had when I lived on the east coast.

katyajini thanked BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Ben, you are the Heirloom King. That's a gorgeous rose you show us. I have to tell you that I grew Heirloom for several years, and that rose couldn't take our desert dry air. It just shriveled, and the blooms lasted a few hours at best. So after 3-4 years, poor Heirloom got the heave ho. I am ashamed to be the only one on this forum who couldn't grow Heirloom. Sadly, I failed, and the rose gods punished me. There's no accounting for the rose gods. Diane

katyajini thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • katyajini

philipatx, that one does sound like a very desirable rose! I will keep my eyes open,

Deborah, Lagerfeld a pretty rose right? I might try it some day!

Ben, wow, I just hope my Heirloom looks like that! How old is that bush?

Thank you everyone. This thread has been so rewarding!

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Yes -- I thought Lagerfeld was pretty. I loved the "sterling silver" lavender roses -- but they just didn't do as well for me as some others. Another favorite of mine was Moon Shadow -- back in the OLD Jackson & Perkin days...

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Wait a minute, Katya. Do you grow Angel Face? If you garden in an area where blackspot isn't much of a problem, you need the lavender ruffles and great scent of Angel Face. She's one unique rose. You're zone 7, so she should do well through your winters. Diane

katyajini thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • katyajini thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • mjkjrobinson

Gorgeous roses awesome beautiful colour! Love these!

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Diane,

Angel face has such incredible color and form for you. Mine was always a drab 1980’s mauve...I gave her away

katyajini thanked BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Ben, You should try her again. I love her look, though she is cold sensitive here. I always make sure to heap on the compost in fall, and she comes through winter OK. Mine is grafted on Dr Huey. I wonder if that makes a difference, though in the1980's, I'm sure your AF was grafted on the Dr also. Diane

katyajini thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho