Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_325695729

Remove or Repair Porch?

Lattnerc
4 years ago

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some input. I have an all wood porch that is sinking on the left (picture-window) side and the railing is falling. My budget is very limited, but the goal is the best curb appeal possible for selling in the next year or so. Do you think I should repair that side or remove it and replace with landscaping?

I would welcome and appreciate any other suggestions you might have. There is no landscaping in front now due to porch question. There is a privacy hedge next to the failing porch (being shortened), I would prefer to keep at least while I live here. The driveway is on the other side next to the solid porch, walkway curves to it (in the shade in pic). Large arborvitae offers privacy but can stay or go.

In this neighborhood, most houses have a small stoop and awning(s), and I want to keep the natural light from the windows. I thought I would just update the awning. Windows are being replaced in almond, matching siding and brick front mortar. Thank you!

Repair left side of porch
Remove left side of porch

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

I'd jack that thing up in a day or so.

Lattnerc thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Guess jacking would depend on condition of wood. Why is it drooping? Is it poor foundation? Or wood damage? If wood is in good condition, jacking can work. Easy for Joseph but not simple for inexperienced person. ;)

Lattnerc thanked Flo Mangan
  • mononhemeter
    4 years ago

Not a pro. I think it’s a shame to replace those original windows with new ones. The current windows add character and are designed so that every component can be repaired to make them last as long as the house itself. Even the type of wood they are made from is more rot-resistant than wood available today. I would strip the paint using a lead-safe method, reglaze if necessary, and add storm windows if they are missing.

Lattnerc thanked mononhemeter
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

No almond windows just either white or black and a nice awning in black metal and glass , If possible jack up the corner of the porch add a nice black metal railing and a new door in a color your like more glass in it would be nice too.I do not agree about keeping the windows if they require storm windows todays windows are so much more enrgy efficient and the one on the left look pretty rough shape, Nancy’s idea is also quite nice.

Lattnerc thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Lattnerc
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your thoughtful feedback and votes. Nancy, I appreciate the beautiful design work you did, so helpful! I never saw those pvc panels before!

The porch is sinking due to age and moisture issues, but could be repaired by a professional. With the railing pulling away it looks worse than it is. Joseph, I looked into doing it, but I think it’s above my pay grade! Agreed Flo, I’m not an experienced person. I could dismantle it mostly on my own though. Either way, I think my eyes have been wanting a different style railing.

I’ve been back and forth on the window decision, so I really appreciate everyone’s opinions. On the color scheme, the roof has brown shades and the bricks are in the orange-red-brownish family with light tan mortar, so I thought almond and/or brown and never considered white and black.

Your door ideas are definitely something to think about, thanks again!!

• mononhemeter
    4 years ago

I just wanted to add that if you are replacing the windows because they are inefficient, it might be worth getting an energy audit first. I had an energy audit on a rental with windows from 1950, and they turned out to have good energy efficiency as long as the storm windows are installed. Also, if you keep the windows, you can paint one almond to see if you like it without committing to the color for 20 years.

Here is a blog post I came across:

https://thecraftsmanblog.com/are-historic-windows-energy-efficient/

Lattnerc thanked mononhemeter
  • PRO
    Flores Artscape
    4 years ago

You can do some really nice and creative (and inexpensive) landscaping to replace the section of the porch.

Agreed that the windows should stay, but you mentioned that it is going on the market soon? In that case you should look at what is more popular in your area and what is adding to home values and what style of houses are selling.

Good luck!

Lattnerc thanked Flores Artscape
  • Lattnerc
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mononhemeter, that was interesting information on windows, thanks for sharing.

Flores Artscape, thank you, that’s good advice. (Btw, I got some inspiration for the backyard space from your Pro page pics!)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio