shive_gw

Favorite Lavenders of the 2019 Season

shive
October 26, 2019
last modified: October 26, 2019

Post your favorite lavenders from this season here. If you post two photos, then go to edit, you can add several more photos in that comment. Thanks to Celeste? for the suggestion. The next color will be yellow.

Here are my three top favorites:

Olly Olly Oxen Free - It's purple in Celeste's garden, but lavender in mine most days.

Mississippi Magistrate

Aerial Applique

Debra

• celeste

I know, I know.....I already posted my TEN....but could I pretty please post these 3 RUNNER-UPS?

LEOTHA (This is one strapping Tetra! I set 34 pods on her this year and every attempt was successful (different crosses). The pods are the biggest I have ever seen and the seeds themselves enormous.)

JEWEL OF THE OASIS

BERMA ABERCROMBIE

There are SO many more lavender favorites, BUT I PROMISE TO BEHAVE.

• Brad KY 6b

Wow, so many goodies. I think I like lavender about equally with purple these days.

Celeste: Leotha is the best of the 3.

Maryl, both of yours are so interesting and pretty.

Nancy, You may not have many but the ones you posted are so nice. Can't Get There from Here and Geneva Purple Haze & Dawn of Aquarius are my favorites of yours.

Brad

POLL: What's your favorite way to relax?

A long meditative walk in the evening is the best way for me to relax... Being in motion is far more relaxing to me than sitting stationary... But a nice mineral spa is fab on the bones... It is a great way to help cope with physical pain or discomfort, and it is wonderful for my mind too : )

What's your favorite color?

The natural lighting in a room can make a difference in color choice. I like to mix colors my room color in different bases to change the intensity. If given one choice I am a yellow person. I think it helps with grey days in the Pacific Northwest that we have and makes sunny days glow. That being said I have cocoa brown, pale peach, white, sage, and a few in between in my house.

The 10 Hottest Color Trends for Spring. Which one you choose?

I'd love any shade of purple - from mulberry - to lavender - to lilac. Unfortunately - my husband is not a fan - so the nicest color I get is my "under the sea" themed aqua half bath - that opens to a dark teal den.

POLL: Favorite way to brighten up your home for Spring?

We had an old New England house with two front parlors. One now served as a dining room, the other as a living room. Both had equally convenient access to the kitchen. Only one still had a fireplace. So-ooo on the Saturday afternoon the clocks changed, we switched the furniture and function of the two rooms. It took barely thirty minutes, and the sense of changing season, along with the changing light levels and outdoor weather, was wonderful, both autumn and spring.
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Celeste, Jewel of the Oasis has beautiful color!

• KarenPA_6b

I love this category. The lavender color is so beautiful when it blooms in its true shade. On some days, they are the most beautiful colored blooms in my garden.

Debra, my favorites are My Mama Thinks I Am a Star (awesome green throat) and Shadow Walker.

Sherry, your Toward the Blue is gorgeous!

Celeste, I love all of yours! So so beautiful! Like I said, you grow the most beautiful purples and lavenders. If I can catch a glimpse of my lavenders in the lavender shade that you posted above even just once out of the whole growing season, I will be a happy camper. Having said that, Spirit of the Dove and Carolina Twilight are my favorites from your group.

Alex, love your Chad Bush seedling! I really like Chad Bush's daylilies. My favorite of his is Tiger Shark Twist. What a gorgeous daylily! Just love the white teeth on light yellow petals!

Nancy, I too like Dawn of Aquarius and Colorado Kid. Love the big blue eye on CK!

Brad, your seedling with the beautiful ruffled edge is gorgeous! Can I ask what are its parents? Your Carmen Renee is always beautiful! I really like your Munson daylilies. I would love to trade with you for both of them if you do have increases.

Maryl, Orchid Gilded Ruffles is gorgeous! What a beautiful ruffled edge!

Some of my lavenders:

Ring the Bells of Heaven - a prolific bloomer that was enabled by Celeste's gorgeous pic of it years ago,

Spirit of HOpe - a long and prolific bloomer that rarely is splotchy though it does take a couple years to get reblooms.

Angel Love

Blue on Blue

• KarenPA_6b

Unknown Seedling

Stargate Portal X RFK

Mermaid's Spell X RFK seedling

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Brad, I’m also a fan of your seedling!

Celeste, I have two favorites of your posts, Leotha and Cobraskin Necktie.

Maryl, you really need to add Orchid Gilded Ruffles again. I remember you posting it before, it’s gorgeous.

Nancy, Vision of a Glory is indeed that!

Alex, your Chad Bush seedling is a winner, love the color.

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)

So many lovely Lavenders everyone ! Hard to choose amongst them . I loved seeing Jewel of the Oasis Celeste. I just added that one this season .......it was quite hard to find in Canada. The next attempt will be Vanishing Mist.

Anyway, here are some of my lavenders .

• Brad KY 6b

Karen, my seedling is Fiordiligi x Beryl Quinn.

Your pictures disappeared unfortunately. Have you tried the Slimjet internet browser yet? It is super speedy to upload and post. It is speedy for everything it does. It is my go to browser now. Makes Chrome and Firefox seem slow and tired. Completely secure and does not track.https://www.slimjet.com/

Brad

• signet_gw(6b)

Here is Teddy Bear's Picnic ( last years image ....it didnt bloom this year)

Greywoods Painted Pony

That's my 10 . Thanks for looking .

• KarenPA_6b

Signet, your seedling is beautiful! I also like Linda Sierra. LS seems to look good in everybody's garden!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Karen: Just Wow on Ring the Bells of Heaven. That is beautiful. Spirit of Hope is another pretty one, but Ring the Bells of Heaven is my number one. Celeste is a dangerous enabler with her lavenders.........Signet: So glad to see Teddy Bear's Picnic. If Debra ever gets hers out of the shade, she may begin posting another bear at the picnic...........Brad: both of your Munson's are eye catching. Do Munson's do well in the heat for you. If I remember from my youth, Ky. has some hot months.........Karen: Thanks for liking Orchid Gilded Ruffles. It's on my list to re-acquire if circumstances change. I really liked it...........Maryl

• Nancy 6b

3rd try

Lavender Cascades

Lavender Heartthrob

• Nancy 6b

Westbourne Revival

My Mama Thinks I am A Star

• Nancy 6b

Lavender Deal

Debra, Olly Olly Oxen Free and Ripsaw are gorgeous. lavender Stardust did amazingly well here for 1st year.

Celeste, I love all yours but especially Spirit of the Dove, up and At Em, and Sky over Schuylor

Alex, I got Rainbow Dragon this fall I love the pattern! Your seedlings look great!

Nancy, Dawn of Aquarius, Geneva Purple Haze, and Colorado Kid are my favorites

Brad, love the look of your seedling, and Carmen Renee looks amazing

Maryl, I like several of your lavenders but my favorite is the one you no longer have, Orchid Guilded Ruffles

Karen, those seedlings!!! Amazing, especially the 1st one

Signet, linda Sierra is so pretty. I almost bought it last fall and have regretted it since. Will probably end up here some time

• shive

Alex - I do like Precious Candy. I used to grow it in a pot, but it died the fourth season after a particularly wet and cold winter.

Brad - Your lavender seedling is lovely, and I love the clump show from Carmen Renee.

Hoosier Nancy - Dawn of Aquarius and Geneva Purple Haze are stunners!

Maryl - That edge on Orchid Gilded Ruffles always grabs me.

Karen - The Uknown seedling has a fabulous look. Any chance it's an RFK baby?

Heather - That's an impressive clump of Linda Sierra.

Nancy 6B - Nice group shot of My Mama Thinks I'm a Star. I also like Westbourne Revival. I'm glad Lavender Stardust did well for you in its first year.

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Karen, Brad says your photos disappeared, I see three gorgeous photos this morning. How many did you post?

Sherry

• KarenPA_6b

Sherry, they did disappear when I posted last night. I reposted them later using Slimjet by using the "edit" option. The photos posted above were those I reposted later. I guess Houzz did not like Firefox last night. Sometimes posting in FIrefox works and sometimes it doesn't.

• KarenPA_6b

Thanks for liking my lavenders and seedlings Maryl, Nancy, Debra, and Sherry! Debra, I don't think this unknown seedling has RFK genetics. It maybe a seedling from Winged Waterfall X Solar Blue Angel. Unfortunately, I have about 30 unknown seedlings out of a flat which my DS hosed down with a strong jet of water and displaced all the labels 3 years ago. Kids will be kids!

• shive

Here's my last favorite lavender.

Dancing Summerbird

• signet_gw(6b)

Funny, my Dancing Summerbird is pink , maybe that has something to do with the soil so maybe that is why it isn't a great lavender in your location ? It is registered as a lavender but mine is definitely pink.

• KarenPA_6b

Nancy, my favorites from your posts so far are Westbourne Revival, My Mama Thinks I am A Star. Love that green throat against the lavender on MMTIAAS. That's why I also like your Dancing Summerbird very much, Debra! Love that green throat with the deep crease at midrib.

• Brad KY 6b

Karen, now I see your seedlings since you reposted. They are all nice but my favorite is Mermaid's Spell X RFK .

Debra, I like Dancing Summerbird.

• signet_gw(6b)

Karen , wow ! I love all 3 of your images. I had not seen them till just now . When I originally posted there were no images in your post. I wondered if it was a problem with Houzz (seems it always is these days) but had not checked back until seeing Brad's post. Both RFK seedings share the large green throat of mother but Mermaid's Spell x RFK is quite exquisite with the extra white edging on the eye.

• KarenPA_6b

Thanks, Brad and SIgnet. It's a great seedling with nice color and the bloom measures up to 9"+. Unfortunately, I lost most of its seeds this past spring due to my health. I started them in the fridge in March and I got sick soon after that. They sprouted while in there and I could not plant them so they all rotted. This summer I did not do much hybridizing due to my health so I have no seeds from this particular seedling. I hope to hybridize more with it this coming summer. Here's another pic that shows its color when it gets hot. Not as attractive as when the weather is cool.

• lilykate7a

So many pretties on this post! And so many wonderful seedlings as well. I will have one of each, please!! Let's see if I can get some of mine to post. I finally took some time to get organized with my pictures (no laughter, please!) and maybe I can find some lavenders from my garden.

Prairie Spirit. I will see how it posts first. This one stood out for its color and uniqueness.

• lilykate7a

Will try again-Lost the next post.

Sweetest Name I Know-color description is noted as pink lavender and it certainly is.

Lovely when it blooms-not a good bloomer for me. So, favorite? Probably not but posted it for really pretty bloom! And again, more of a pink lavender color.

• lilykate7a

One more and then I will stop. Lost one post (and yes, on Slimjet, Brad!) but next came up with only the two noted so it really did not want to take the three. And this one is a favorite-Blue Dolphin. This was in the sun so it does not show the lavender color as well as it actually was.

There are others but I will stop here-Butterfly Moon was gorgeous this year as was Ava Gardner, Kierabel, Frank's Catnapping, Sea of Cortez, Linda Sierra and Heartbeat of Heaven

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Nancy 6b: I really like Westbourne Revival..........Kate: I think Sweetest Name I know was one of my better surprises in a while. It's just a lovely color and does so well in our heat. Your picture is a good one. Mine has a bit more pinky mauve to it, but that's usual in my garden. Prairie Splendor is another one I need to look into. Quite interesting........*Note: Kate: Couldn't find Prairie Splendor, but did find Prairie Spirit, Bill Maryott's hybrid. Is that what you mean?.....Maryl

• celeste

Kate, I love Blue Dolphin so much that I asked Carl Harmon for it's pollen this summer to put on Sky Over Schuyler and now I have some lovely seeds to start! I'm hoping for that lovely lavender-blue color to come through. Someday I need to get it for myself but right now it's still pretty pricey. The children of it will have to satisfy me for now.

• signet_gw(6b)

Kate , wonderful images! I too was unable to find anything on a daylily called Prairie Splendor. It has such a unique eye Would love to know more about it . Stats, who hybridized it etc. please. Blue Dolphin looks very delicate ....a really lovely uf.

Nancy 6b Westbourne Revival is another beauty. I only discovered Westbourne daylilies about a year before the lady passed away. I was hoping to try to order from her at that time but now as luck would have it , it seems no one is selling her cultivars. I can find a few at one of my daylily growers here in Ontario but for the most part there are not a lot of her cultivars available here. She was either really good at choosing crosses or she was really lucky with the crosses and seeds she did plant .There are so many beauties on her website.

• lilykate7a

Maryl, yes, of course it is Prairie Spirit! That is what happens when I try to recall the name without double checking-I don’t have Celeste’s immediate recall memory on my daylilies! Thanks for catching that. It is one of Maryott‘s intros and it performs better than many of his have in my garden. I will edit that if Houzz permits!

• shive

Kate - Prairie Splendor is really striking!

Debra

• samhain10 - 5a

Karen - I didn't see your photos in the beginning either, which I assumed was Houzz. Even with Slimjet I lose about half of the things I try to post. They just disappear. But wanted to say that I really liked the Stargate Portal X RFK seedling.

Alex

• Nancy 6b

I do like Prairie Spirit, good to know it performs well for you. Maryott's tend to be hit or miss for me too, I guess not surprising. The good ones tend to be really good, but the bad ones gradually fade away.

Thank you for the comments on Westbourne Revivals, it has been a good one so far, blooms well, multiplies well, and decent height. I have a few Westbournes, most all do quite well so i do look for more. I added 3 more this year, unfortunately one, W. Blueberry Popsicle did not make it through the drought. Probably watered it too much in the heat.

• lilykate7a

Thanks to Maryl I have corrected my Prairie Spirit! And yes, Nancy, I have the same problem with Maryott lilies. They seem to either be very good or very bad, which is disappointing since I do like so many of his forms. Celeste, hopefully Blue Dolphin will like my gardens. It was new last year-had been on my list for quite some time. I think since I am still within quota I will try to post some of those I mentioned earlier.

Heartbeat of Heaven-so lovely this year

Sea of Cortez-another one of those pink lavenders

• lilykate7a

That third picture is just a jinx when I post-so will only try for two again. Last two.

Ava Gardner-not the best picture as one of the petals is chomped on but does show the true color in my garden.

Butterfly Moon was absolutely gorgeous this year

• shive

Kate - What a great clump of Butterfly Moon! Yoiu and I forgot to post our most favorite lavender of all - Entwined in the Vine! I just thought about it.

Debra

• lilykate7a

Haha, Debra! I actually did think about it but since you did not post it I thought maybe it would fall in one of the other categories!! I will rectify that now and I think I still have one more left of my 10 quota which I donate to you so you can post one of your lovely shots of this wonderful lily. You know I have seen photos of it in other places and I think Laura posted a picture she had seen in one of her visited gardens and voiced disappointment in it but truly I have never seen anything but this wonderful color in my garden.

• KarenPA_6b

Kate, I agree with Deb that your BM clump is amazing! The flowers have such pretty eyes. Love the lavender color on your Ava Gardner and Blue Dolphin. Didn't know that Blue Dolphin has such beautiful bluish color. Celeste, that is a wonderful cross! I bet you will get very beautiful offspring from it.

• Brad KY 6b

Kate, You have a lot of great lavenders! It is so hard to pick a favorite, but I really like the color of Ava Gardner so it is my choice. Maybe Sweetest name is second.

Brad

• signet_gw(6b)

These Lavenders are like candy. You cant settle for just one . I have added several more to my list .

Thanks Kate for posting Entwined in the Vine , I added that one this season but didn't see it bloom so really looking forward to next season . Butterfly Moon and Heartbeat of Heaven .....yowza !

• shive

Since Kate donated her tenth space, here's my Enwined in the Vine.

• signet_gw(6b)

Yup that image confirms it , thanks Debra .....it really is a beauty isn't it . Hope it performs that well here .

• lilykate7a

Thanks for the comments on Blue Dolphin (and all others of course!!). I did go back to find a picture that shows more of the lavender color I was drawn to love when putting it on the wish list. Although just planted this season, it bloomed rather well. And, Celeste, I can't wait to see what you get from that cross!

• Nancy 6b

Thanks to Kate, Entwined in the Vine arrived ed in my garden this spring. It had a few blooms that were a bit puckered, but with that wonderful color. Looking forward to seeing it next year when it is better settled in!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Debra: Do you still grow English Lavender at all? It was so lovely, but I know it wasn't very vigorous for you...........Kate: Good to see Ava Gardner again. I sure miss mine. Frank Smith has some of the prettiest daylilies, but they sometimes struggle with overwintering in my pot system. Doesn't stop me from buying them though............My computer is on the blink AGAIN so they are coming to take me away so to speak while they figure out what's wrong. They say maybe the "mother board". Even I know that's not good.. Hope I don't miss the yellows............Maryl

• shive

Maryl - English Lavender does horribly, although I still have three fans for hybridizing reasons. I would never post it as a favorite because of its tenderness and poor performance here. It's a dud, and I would never recommend it.

Yellows are next, but they'll still be here when your computer is back.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b

Maryl, is it a desk top? The motherboard can be replaced, though it may need a few other things replaced too in order to be compatible, like the processor and memory. However, they should be able to find a motherboard to match the processor socket; then possibly the memory will match too. it would save you a bundle. A decent inexpensive motherboard can easliy be under 100., often around 80.00. Your hard drive with all your stuff will be able to be used. If you had windows 10, no trouble to reinstall and keep your stuff.

As to motherboards, if there is any choice, you want Gigabyte brand. Asus would be second, then MSI. Based on experience and about every web site that rates them this is true. Don't let them talk you out of it.

Knowing all this will tell them you know something!

Let me know if they give you conflicting info. For example, if they want to replace the processor too, ask and let me know what socket the processor is. If they claim the processor is bad, ask them how they know. They virtually NEVER go bad.