shive_gw

Favorite Yellows of the 2019 Season

shive
October 29, 2019

Post your top 10 favorite yellows of the season here. The next color will be near white.

These are my top two favorites.

Empire of Desire

Mystic Maize

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nancy, I loveSarah Christine, such nice basic form.

Sherry

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Well, I got carried away and tried to post three at one time and lost it. I'll do it right this time.

Tidewater Elf was another gift that I probably wouldn't have chosen for myself. It has earned a permanent place here though. It is hardy and vigorous with tall scapes and lots of buds. The clump of it is overshadowing all the daylilies around it (and we have already taken part off).

Richard Norris considers Sunshine on My Shoulder as one of his best tetraploid intros. Ours has done well, but could probably do better if we moved it to a better location. Where it is there is too much competition from tree roots and not as much sun as it would like.

More to come . . .

POLL: Favorite Fall Decor?

I voted for the mums, but I also liked the outside branches brought inside. However, I thought the room was too overdone with the pumpkin light fixture and orange pillows. It bordered on too cheesy to me.

Show us your favorite Christmas decor piece!

Winter always reminds me of magically snowcapped mountains of the Pamirs. And I love to light up the yurt of Murghob somewhere at home to remember the real and magical winters of that rarely visited place of the world. There are fur trees, snow, starry sky, biggest moon and even a Snowman-yeti they say around. Everything is in place by mother nature.

POLL: Favorite couch color?

does anyone have any experience with pottery barns washed linen fabric or the brushed canvas? Can't decide. I have 3 kids and a dog and need it to be durable. I plan on getting the PB comfort roll arm slipcovered but can't decide on a fabric. I love that either fabric I can wash but nervous about wrinkles after people sit on it.

POLL: Favorite outdoor room?

I chose the Garden Style because while the others were lovely, most of us can hope to attain a garden in which we can relax. I especially liked the trellis in the background and the comfortable-looking coach. The Marakesh style had awesome lanterns and wood ceiling, the Alpine had wonderful wood features, Beach Deck had a great view, Americana was charming, Southwestern had a really neat-looking outdoor fireplace, Tropical looked like it could actually take rain, and Nautical had a nice porch so it was a hard choice. ^^
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

These last two are not my favorites but I thought I would post them because they are oldies. Bob and I have fundamental differences in the way we approach hybridization. Bob likes to see out old daylilies and I gravitate to the newer ones. I say that he is trying to reinvent the wheel and I am trying to improve the wheel. These are two oldies he picked.

Lahaina is a Whatley introduction. Bob likes to collect Whatley intros, but this one will be sold off next spring in the interest of downsizing the garden.

Yuma is one of the parents of Forestlake Ragamuffin. I personally don't think it is very pretty. I am not a fan of the rusty tones overlaying the yellow. The shape of the flower is also sort of erratic. This one will stay in the garden, though. It is a late bloomer, but unfortunately has not proven to be very fertile.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• celeste

You all have some very nice yellows! Yellow is the color I have the least of because I am selective about yellows. I do like them.....but find that so many plain yellows look similar. I didn't include my patterned or eyed yellows, just the solid yellows. There's nothing like a good yellow placed strategically in the garden. They just shine!

My favorite yellow of all.....PLANET CLAIRE

She blooms so well, is so robust, and blooms are HUGE and have a substance like plastic....another shot of her:

My second favorite yellow, a very soft pale yellow: SIMPLICITY IN MOTION

• celeste

Now on to the other yellows I love....

WIND SONG

This golden oldie is always on my favorite list because of the fragrance, which is soft and sweet; reminds me of lily of the valley. I always take some blooms inside to enjoy for that reason. An old cultivar but one I will always grow.

SILOAM HAROLD FLICKINGER

Such a happy yellow!

BANANA CREAM BEAUTY

Very large and very soft, pale coloring

CHEDDAR CHEESE

In your face bright yellow/gold that will wake your eyes up! Extremely vigorous, amazing bloomer

• celeste

YELLOW MONKEY

Not everyone enjoys the spiders and UF's like I do but this one shines and is wonderful to grow

I hesitate to list a daylily that no one else has access to but this is definitely one of my favorite yellows. It's a un-registered seedling from Steve Moldovan which Carl Harmon selected out of the field. No name but gorgeous, amazing substance, blooms forever.

MICO

Another old fashioned cultivar that screams at you from across the garden. Huge!

• signet_gw(6b)

Hoosier_Nan , if you like tall yellows, you might like to consider Jack and the Beanstalk , or Heavenly Blast to the Past or Gossard's Reach for the Heavens. I grow all 3 here and all three are very robust ranging in height from 48 inches to 68 inches . Our growing conditions are very similar I believe and all three of these do well here . No staking required either .

forgot to say I love your Tidewater Elf !!!!!!!!! and Sp. Lemon Whiskers.

• celeste

My last one of my top 10 is another of the oldies (seems like most of the yellows I grow are oldies). She doesn't get much press but she is a working girl in the garden. It seems she blooms non-stop forever.

KECIA

• Brad KY 6b

I also don't have many yellows, not a favorite. Of the ones above I have Ciel D'or which for me is a blooming machine, and Sears Tower which is also a great bloomer.

Celeste, I like that Moldovan seedling. Very pretty. I also like Wind Song and Planet Claire for their shape and color.

My top two: Siloam Amazing Grace and Spider Miracle. I like lighter shades of yellow with green.

.

Claws

more to come....

• Brad KY 6b

Noid in front and Sun King

Hyperion has such a great scent. It is also my oldest daughter's favorite.

I have a few others but they are not favorites. I have them to have a mix of flowers.

I also have Yellow Monkey which I didn't really get to see this year. I am expecting to like it!

I've only seen a few yellows I like enough to want them for myself that I don't have. I recall 2 names, Lean Green Fragrance Machine, and Siloam Green Stripe.

Brad

• KarenPA_6b

I too am not big on yellow but like Signet, I do love a good yellow. My favorites from everyone are

Debra's Empire of Desire for its wide petals and sculpting

Signet's Buttercream for its wide petals and Heavenly Dancing Fairies for its unique forms

Sherry's Ciel D' Orr for its striking gold color and it also looks great together with the lavender daylily in the back

Nancy's Holy Sombrero for its large blooms and Tidewater Elf for its intense yellow color with a green midrib that radiates from the green throat

Celeste's Steve Moldovan's gorgeous seedling and Spider Monkey's slender petals

Brad's Noid clump and Spider Miracle for its graceful cascade form

Nancy, I also like your statement regarding the different approach taken by you and your DH in hybridizing, ""I say that he is trying to reinvent the wheel and I am trying to improve the wheel." It's a wonderful and complementary combination!

• KarenPA_6b

Here are some of my favorite yellows from my garden.

Jolly Good Yellow

Lillian's Woman's Touch

• KarenPA_6b

Siblings from Shimmering Dawn X Dr. Stump

• samhain10 - 5a

Yellow is not one of the colors I go out of my way for either, but I can't help but be wowed by some I see.

Debra - I love Mystic Maize, shape and shade

Heather - Heavenly Dancing Fairies is great, and an apropos name!

Sherry - I've admired Stone Palace Divine before when seen posted here - what a beauty

Nancy - Boxcar Lifestyle as well as Tidewater Elf both have the shape with which I am really enamored

Celeste - and there's Planet Claire again - love it! And Banana Cream Beauty and the Moldovan seedling are both gorgeous

Brad - both of those top two are seriously beautiful, but if I had to choose just one it would be the Spider Miracle because of its shape.

Karen - Lillian's Woman's Touch is special with that lighter edge, and once again the UF shape I love.

I don't have but a few registered yellows, I guess. This is probably the most impressive just because of the height - which was more than 6 ft. Notify Ground Crew:

The photo is a bit deceptive because Notify Ground Crew is in front of Redneck Red by a couple of feet, but even making allowances for that, you can see it is towering over the others!

Another of the registered is Substantial Glow:

Will post a few seedlings next.

Alex

• KarenPA_6b

Future intro from Green Icon X Green Mamba

Sib

• samhain10 - 5a

Forgot about Yellow Monkey, it's already been posted but here it is again:

Will post Vorlon Revelation here in the yellows - this is it's first year here, and I am in love with it's shape:

will post a second pic of it in the next round, so you can see how it varies in shape.

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a

Another view of Vorlon Revelation:

Oh, and almost forgot I want to post another of lilykate's NOIDS, which is registered, but we don't know what it is - it's gorgeous, hope someone recognizes it:

More to come

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a

Another of Chad Bush's unregistered seedlings - this one has some teeth:

A seedling of My Little Tea Set x unknown:

More to come:

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a

This is what the Gaudy Gaudy seedling that most resembled the pod parent looked like:

The color was wonderful, but the plant struggled to put up the scape this first year, and was stunted. This is the only good bloom I got out of it.

And lastly, I'll post this seedling which is a cross between 2 of those first 25 NOID seedlings I grew on a whim back in 2015, and which started my love affair with daylilies. I expected to compost almost all of these crosses, but I ended up keeping 2 dozen to see what they would do in future. I should add that it showed some variegation to foliage:

That's it for me. Thanks for looking.

Alex

• signet_gw(6b)

love your last seedling Alex !!!!!! Also love your seedling of My Little Tea Set x unknown

Everyone is always touting the wonderfulness of Yellow Monkey. can anyone tell me why . Looking at the image I dont see much that is spectacular about it . It is a very nice yellow but ???? what am I missing ?

• KarenPA_6b

I also like your last seedling, Alex! I like the deep yellow color and the raised white midrib. It's a great contrast and makes the flower very unique.

• celeste

Thank you to all of you who appreciate my Moldovan unregistered seedling. I wish you all could see it in person because it's even prettier than you think. It has a lot of diamond-dusting and almost sparkles in the sunlight, which I cannot capture. Not to mention it has amazing plastic-like substance with a bubbly edge that doesn't wilt in the heat. I wanted to post another photo of it. It bloomed the LONGEST of all my daylilies this year, starting in early July and lasted until the end of August. I didn't use it for hybridizing but I noticed every scape was covered in bee pods so I know she's fertile!

• lilykate7a

Maryl, please get your "mother board" on your computer fixed soon so you can join me as a yellow loving daylily cohort! I do love this color. I have lots and lots of yellows because they just make me happy and I have room for them! Here are a few.

Kate's Smile-OK, not really a registered lily but just my garden name for it. I am sure most of you knew this would be my favorite yellow! This clump is one I separated from mama clump last year and just look how it has multiplied and those buds! I hope those of you who asked for some of it have this look in your garden next year!

Patsy Carpenter-just a wonderful huge 7 inch bloom with polychrome colors-earliest yellow to bloom for me.

• lilykate7a

Lost the first post so will not take any chances on the rest.

Just an intense color on this oldie. I lost this one to voles a few years ago and reordered it. It is outside my kitchen window and I missed seeing it there when it died.

Siloam Breeze-blooms late. I have Siloam Amazing Grace as well. Brad's photo of it is lovely.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Alex, hang on to that seedling that shows some variegation. There are several hybridizers, including us in a small way, that are working on that characteristic. It has been a rather elusive trait for many. We currently have three seedlings and one named cultivar that show variegation. Do you know if it is a tet or a dip?

Nancy

• lilykate7a

Vanilla Gorilla-listed as cream with yellow throat-looks pale yellow in my garden (yea!!)

Brutus-apt name for this late blooming lily. A beacon in the garden when most are gone. Has a slight bronze overlay.

• lilykate7a

Willa Mae Thornton-forgive the hand-put there to show the size of this one-listed as 7.5 and it met that and more this year.

Yellow Mammoth-just look at where this is growing-in the weeds with a sapling growing right up the middle of it and it still puts on a show giving 10-12 inch blooms.

So many others-I, too, like Brocaded Gown, Sherry. Blonde is Beautiful, Hernando Star, Hernando Queen, My Utmost for His Highest, Imperial Lemon, Buttered Popcorn, etc. etc.!! (Did I mention I really really like the yellows?)

• lilykate7a

Oh, and Alex, I think that NOID may be True Gertrude Demerest, an older cultivar that I know I had in my garden at one point in time and may be part of those whose labels are long gone due to lots of reasons. I went back over some of my older lists this summer and think I narrowed the ID down to perhaps this one. The petals are sometimes pointed like yours and the color does seems to vary somewhat depending on where it is. Yours and Celeste's that I sent to her appear to have some great colors whereas mine tends to be lighter and almost cream color without a lot of variance.

• harold100

Buttered Popcorn. My only yellow one. I prefer the bold reds and purples, but this is my favorite due to higher bud count and a 7 inch bloom. It also multiplies fast. I just shared 3 fans with a friend in Tennessee.

• KarenPA_6b

Beautiful yellows, Kate and Harold. I like the big flowers of Patsy Carpenter and Willa Mae Thornton the best.

Harold, Buttered Popcorn is certainly a standout in any garden with its beautiful bold yellow color. Daylilies are great in that way! Some grows very fast and is a great plant to share with friends and family.

• Nancy 6b

I don't have a lot of yellows, not my favorite color, but orange is my least favorite and I have more oranges than yellows. I actually think yellows and creams make other colors pop. Guess I need a few more.

Bill Norris

Cat's Cradle

• Nancy 6b

Isaac is an oldie, very plain, but it can bloom all summer

Ladyfingers

• Nancy 6b

Russian EAster is not a solid yellow,

I like this one too, but I think I lost it this summer. Solar Music

• Nancy 6b

Yellow Monkey. These are pretty much all my yellows

• samhain10 - 5a

( Tried to post this with Firefox first, forgetting that doesn't work - just mentioning in case it decides to reappear after I post with Slimjet. )

Karen - love your future intro of Green Icon X Green Mamba and it's sib! Register both - LOL!

Kate - your "Kate's Smile" is lovely! And the color on Shaman is amazing. Have checked the online photos of True Gertrude Demarest, and that's a maybe. Will perhaps know more next year.

Nancy(hoosier) - thanks for the vote of confidence on the variegated seedling - will try to post a pic showing that. It is definitely a dip. I was pleasantly surprised at some of these seedlings that came from the original small batch, because as you may remember, they were mostly from NOIDs I had in the yard, but I wanted to make crosses NOW - lol - and not wait till I had something fancy to work with. Afterall - and Bob will bear me out - the old hybridizers had to work with species and whatever early crosses they had - and look where the daylily world has come to! :)

Harold - hard to beat a 7" bloom, and the color is great on Buttered Popcorn

Nancy6b - Wow - love Russian Easter!

OK - will try to post a pic of the variegated foliage. I had taken a pic for my own records, but this doesn't show it as well as I'd like. Only the core fans appear to have it:

Alex

• shive

The ones that caught my eye on this thread: Butter Cream, Holy Sombrero, Banana Cream Beauty, Karen's future intro, Alex's last seedling, and Siloam Breeze.

Debra

• Nancy 6b

Forgot to list my favorites from your photos! Empire of Desire, Buttercream, Stone Palace Divine-really nice, Spectral Elegance, Planet Claire, Celeste's Moldovan seedling is stunning, Brad's Siloam, Kate's Smile, and Patsy Carpenter. Karen, I love your seedlings!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Karen, I love your future intro!

Sherry

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Karen, looking through all these pictures, I missed your future. It's beautiful. I love the shape and the green throat!

• signet_gw(6b)

Nancy6b , I love your "Isaac" it appears to have a unique shape to the blooms .

• KarenPA_6b

Nancy, I am sorry you lost Solar Music because it is very pretty. Bill Norris is such a great performer in my garden too. I can see why Yellow Monkey is a favorite with everyone because it looks fantastic in your pic.

Thanks to all for liking my future intro. That is very encouraging! Somehow Houzz made the data details on it disappear. Anyway, I was hoping for more green with this cross, but I got mostly yellow seedlings. I have 6 seedlings from this cross and this one was picked for intro because it has the biggest flower, 7-8", most sturdy and tallest scape at 60", and the blooms have great substance that can take rain, sun, and wind and still look good by the end of day. It does not have a high budcount but the flower opens perfectly symmetrical most of the time.

• Julia NY

Adding just a couple of my favorite yellows that I can remember.

OSTERIZED

EMPEROR'S CHOICE

ENTER LAUGHING

Julia

• Nancy 6b

Emperor's Choice looks amazing, Julia!

Signet, Isaac has always appealed to me. Not a large flower, but I like that shade of yellow, and it is a very unique shape. I have not seen another form quite like it.

• KarenPA_6b

Beautiful, Julia! I love all of your pics. Osterized has such a graceful form and great color. What a great shot of Enter Laughing with the companion plants - photo worthy to be in a garden magazine. Very nice!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Great photos, Julia! Glad to see you had time to participate, hope all is well for you now!

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)

what a wonderful image of Enter Laughing Julia ! pretty pretty blooms!

• signet_gw(6b)

Interesting , I just went to check one of my images and it is gone . It was here along with 5 other ones in three separate posts ( a total of 5 posts with 2 images each ) . Three of those posts were here , now they are gone ! That sucks ! Don't think I will bother to post them again .

• samhain10 - 5a

Julia - Osterized is my favorite, but that last pic with the interplanted echinacea and rudbeckia is incredible!

Alex

• shive

Julia - The photo of Enter Laughing is especially pretty with the daisies!

• Brad KY 6b

Emperor's Choice is a nice color and form.