shive_gw

Favorite Near Whites of the 2019 Season

shive
last modified: November 1, 2019

Post your favorite near whites from this year here. The next color will be coral.

My favorite UF near white was Lillian's Thin Ice.

My favorite full form near white was Boundless Beauty.

This seedling out of Inimitable was also a favorite near white.

Debra

• signet_gw(6b)

Is Boundless Beauty considered a white ? Mine look to have a pinkish glow.

This is Swiss Mint . Nice plant pretty flower but far too short for my liking .

• Brad KY 6b

Lillian's Thin Ice and Boundless Beauty are so pretty, Debra.

POLL: What's your Style?

I picked the first traditional. To me, it's all about feelings vs style. It has to whisper to my heart, "This is a safe place there you can feel loved even when you are alone."

Three Season Sunroom Dilemma

What about one of these products... Interlocking Deck TilesInterlocking tiles are an excellent option for sunrooms. You can install interlocking deck tiles over almost any surface and it is an extremely easy DIY project. You can purchase these tiles in a multitude of patterns, colors, and textures, some of which look like stone. Learn more about interlocking tiles and see our photos depicting the many colors and styles available. Easy-Fit Modular Tile Floor System (by SunPorch.com) This product appears to be a very good option although I've not used it myself. Like interlocking deck tiles, the Easy-Fit modular tile floor system is designed so that you don't need a subfloor and it mounts on any surface no matter the irregularities. Separate tiles have raised 5/8" on a series of legs made from polypropylene. This allows for drainage and very quick drying. They snap together and can be cut to fit with a utility knife making installation easy. They come in a variety of finishes to include ceramic, carpet, or wood. An accessory feature with SunPorch.com's sunrooms, they are definitely worth checking out. Hope this helps :)

Tell us: What's your favorite holiday tradition?

Our Christmas day springs to life right out of the movies. After watching the 1953 Alistar Sims version of Scrooge, A Christmas Story marathon will begin. I do not ever think I have seen it all the way through, lol. Since my husband has worked the last several Christmases we took our cue from the movie. We either eat out or get take home Chinese Food. Fra rah rah. After reading our fortune cookies we scratch lottery tickets by the Leg lamp light;) The night winds up on a sweet note with my homemade best ever childhood memory Christmas cookies. I use to launch the tree out the door at midnight but as I got older it just doesn't seem like a rush to do anymore. I now wait until the light of the next day;) Merry Christmas and FRA RAH RAH !!!

LifeProof vinyl flooring: 1) GREY Sterling Oak vs 2) WHITE Ocala Oak?

How are your floors? Are you happy with the product? I've researched reviews on Home Depot Canada and found 75 1-star reviews that can be summarized as Buyer Beware. The LIFEPROOF name is a misnomer Sample reviews: A cat and border collie scratched the floor and HD Rep said "we suggest you keep the pet claws trimmed." Rubber locks break easily, even when removing from the box. Floor isn't suited for laundry or kitchen where moving heavy appliances scratched floor. Difficult to clean, must get on hands and knees to scrub gunk from between the ridges. Colored surface flaked-off following the sawing the plank to size with a NEW chop saw blade. Limited pattern variety- there are only four patterns to the boards. My DH just brought home a sample of the sterling oak.
  • signet_gw(6b)

Margo Reed Indeed ......is really a lovely white

Lace Cookies has a pink glow too. Could it be the soil?

• signet_gw(6b)

Ice Carnival an oldie but a goodie !!!!

Cool It is pretty white .

That's my 10 ...

• KarenPA_6b

This is my second favorite color! They do really well in my garden. The blooms have the best substance compared to other colored daylilies and most blooms look good until the end of day. My favorites from everyone are:

Debra's Lillian's Thin Ice and the gorgeous seedling

Sherry's Sunday Gloves and Hemstitched

Brad's Desert Icicle

Signet's Isabelle Rose and Boundless Beauty

Some nice whites from my garden:

Arctic Lace

Great White Dove

• KarenPA_6b

Telperion

Snow Crystal

Wonder of It All

• KarenPA_6b

President Ronald Reagain is a profuse bloomer but least favorite of all the whites shown. It is not the whitest and the substance can be marred by rain.

Lillian's Ivory Tower - this is one of my best diploid white - great substance and prolific bloomer

Forsyth Summer Snow seedling

Lace Snowballs X Angel on Board seedling

• samhain10 - 5a

White happens to be one of the colors I like the most. I had asked all of you for names of the best whites last year, but then had been hit with heaviness that put me off track for a long while. Now am enjoying seeing all these pretties again.

My favorites so far:

Debra - Lillian's Thin Ice and the seedling out of Inimitable - I like that green cast, too!

Sherry - Buzz Saw - not usually a big toothy fan, but Wow! that's gorgeous!

Brad - Viette Seedling 3 is a very white white, isn't it? Desert Icicle is my favorite though for it's cascading shape

Heather - Isabelle Rose and Margot Reed Indeed

KarenPA - Arctic Lace is certainly a knockout

I have a few, and have acquired a couple of seedlings as well from a hybridizer south of me, which I'm anxious to see next spring.

Here's Wonder of It All, looking a bit more yellow than usual:

Bonibrae Mostly Ghostly:

More in next comment.

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a

Wedding Band - a nice white with gold wire edge, but small and short:

The last pics are more of the Rose F Kennedy x Heavenly Angel Ice seedlings. This was the fullest, and on some blooms had a more pronounced green cast:

More to come.

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a

Changed my mind - the other seedlings look so similar to this one, really; only their mama would care - lol - but here's a group shot of the whites, with more than one seedling showing. That's Crashing the Crease x Veined Variations behind them:

That's it for me.

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a

KarenPA - we were posting at the same time, so didn't see your others - like those last 2 seedlings the best

Alex

• signet_gw(6b)

Debra , Lillian's Thin Ice is a very attractive UF! Your seedling is very lovely. You sure do have some spectacular seedlings !

Brad I really like your Viette Seedling 3 . It really is white!

Karen I love your Arctic Lace and Snow Crystal daylilies. I also grow Wonder of it All but it seems to carry the yellow edge faintly into the main part of the petals so it looks like a very soft yellow bloom . I do love the shape though .I hadn't heard of Telperion before , very nice !

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Karen, your seedlings are wonderful, they are my favorites of all the lovely blooms here.

Sherry

• lilykate7a

Lovely whites, all!! You can't beat Debra's photo of Lillian's Thin Ice with all those white flowing blooms but so many of these (Karen's seedlings!!) are so pretty. Here are a few of mine.

Porcelain Ruffles with Joan Senior in the background. (I am so very good at strategic planting of colors like planting two like colors side by side!!)

Wonder of it All

• lilykate7a

Winter Romance-just gorgeous this year

Accentuate the Green. May be too small for me. You know I like the big ones!

• lilykate7a

Voila Francois

• lilykate7a

Stardust Dragon-not as white as others but what a bloomer.

Oldie but tall and more white than this picture shows.

Why I loved Stardust Dragon-just look at those buds-

• celeste

Debra, I live to see your Lillian's Thin Ice photos! There are some very pretty whites on here that you all have posted. They are too numerous to mention all by name.

Here are mine:

My number one favorite white.....WHITE SATIN

followed closely by FORSYTH SUMMER SNOW (did I get this from you years ago, Karen?)

btw, I put Green Icon pollen on Forsyth Summer Snow....hoping both their green throats will come through!

LILLIAN'S VAPOR TRAIL

• celeste

Continuing on with more......

The old and very white ROYAL FROSTING

NANCY BRITZ

FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE

• celeste

Let's see if Houzz lets me do my final four in one try....,

SNOWBOARDING

HEAVENLY CURLS

LUNA

MARQUE MOON

• celeste

Success! I wanted to post a couple RUNNER-UPS if I may. I didn't post WALK IN THE CLOUDS only because it borders on yellow so I never know where to put it....LOL. With the temps it can be more white, but often more yellow. But it's one of my favorites!

SWISS DIPLOMAT

• samhain10 - 5a

Kate - wow! those buds! Quite the bloomer, that Stardust Dragon. Of those pics you've posted, Winter Romance is my favorite, though I may feel differently when I see my own Porcelain Ruffles and Voila Francois bloom. Think i told you that Voila hadn't survived, but I found it later, once i looked at my map - ha ha. It's still a bit small, but it looked like it was doing OK. Same with Porcelain.

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a

Celeste - just now saw yours - Lillian's Vapor Trails and Heavenly Curls are my favorites!

Alex

• shive

Heather - A lot of near whites have pink undertones or can be blushed pink in certain temperatures.

Debra

• shive

Celeste - Walk in the Clouds is much more yellow than near white here.

Debra

• shive

Karen - I hadn't heard of Telperion before. It's a pretty one! The Forsyth Summer Snow seedling really grabs me.

Kate - Winter Romance is a beauty! I love its pink blush!

Debra

• lilykate7a

Celeste, love that White Satin! I can see why it is a favorite. Heather, you have a lot of pretty whites! Boundless Beauty is on my “to get” list. Of course Karen’s seedlings are gorgeous! And Brad, I like Desert Icicles with the red in the background! Alex, your seedlings are wonderful! Glad VF survived after all. I moved mine this year-it was becoming overgrown by encroaching lilies and shaded by a growing tree. I hope it performs better. I did not think I would see one I liked as well until Winter Romance bloomed. It is one you look at and then look again. And I hope you get to see Porcelain Ruffles put on a show! I forgot to add that the picture I posted was not from this year-deer got every bud on it this year.

• signet_gw(6b)

Lilykate, thanks for posting the pic of Stardust Dragon . I just added that one to my gardens this past season so was very excited to see your clump of it and how prolific the blooms are aside from just being very very pretty. Unfortunate that we are so far apart , I have 2 clumps of Boundless Beauty and would be happy to share. It is not impossible as Alex can tell you . We should discuss this LOL! cuz I really think everyone should have a piece of Boundless Beauty. It is a knock out . Oh I love your Winter Romance and I especially love Old Mount Vernon . Have to look that one up !

• samhain10 - 5a

I can testify - Heather has performed above and beyond! lol

Alex

• signet_gw(6b)

Celeste , love the look of your White Satin . Just looked it up and was disappointed to see it is only 23 inches tall. Does yours grow taller than that ? Sometimes hybridizers register a plant with the average height but plants can sometimes surprise you. Love Royal Frosting too !

• celeste

signet, while White Satin could never be considered a tall daylily, I am certain mine is taller than 23 inches. If you look at my photo of it and note the background, it isn't the shortest plant around it. But everyone's mileage will vary and I hesitate to say it's taller than 23 inches elsewhere because most every daylily I grow is TALLER here than registered. I have mentioned before how lots of cultivars are way taller for me than what other people are reporting. It's so graceful and has such a purity about it. It shows up so well with other colors as a backdrop. It is very pod fertile (pollen too) for you hybridizers out there. I just harvested tons of seeds from it. I made some great crosses.

• lilykate7a

Heather, Old Mount Vernon is one of the first lilies I bought and thought at the time I was paying more than I should-$5.00 for this lily! I found this week, while sorting through some old lily invoices, a sale paper sent to me in the 1980s. It was handwritten from a daylily garden I had visited during the spring. A daylily fall sale, cultivars 1 and 2 dollars. And there were some good classic lilies on there! We have all come a long way from those early days when 10 dollars was a fortune to pay for a daylily!!

Old Mount Vernon is a keeper for me- very white and taller than registered. I think you will really like Stardust Dragon-it does not have that graceful flowing look but you have others that fit that bill.

• KarenPA_6b

Thanks everyone for liking my seedlings! Whites or near whites with the yellow edge was my first love. Someone's (maybe Debra's) pic of Arctic Lace on here 6 years ago started my daylily addiction! It was the most gorgeous thing that I ever laid eyes on. Didn't realize that daylilies could be that beautiful! Since then the addiction hasn't let up but intesnsified! I am hopeless now! LOL

Alex, love your Rose F Kennedy x Heavenly Angel Ice seedling! It will be a great foundation plant to take you into many hybridizing directions. HAI has shown that it passes on good substance genes to its offspring. Though your WoIA is yellowish, it has the biggest edge I have seen on WoiA. Very nice!

Kate, love your Winter Romance and Voila Francois. Both are so gorgeous! Stardust Dragon is a good performer for me too but yours is really amazing.

Celeste, my favorites from your collection is NANCY BRITZ, LILLIAN'S VAPOR TRAIL, and White Satin. Wow, White Satin looks really white! I wonder how it measures up against Gentle Shepherd. Nancy Britz's color and veining is so lovely. I do believe that it was me who sent you the Forsyth Summer Snow. So glad that you like it and that it performs well for you. Incidentally, the above Wonder of It All is what you traded me for FSS. WoIA is a wonderful grower for me too. When the petals don't get stuck, they are so gorgeous.

Telperion is a great white with edge for colder climate. The flowers open perfectly for me and rarely the petal edges are stuck. Also in cooler temps, the blooms have this green cast that may make your heart skip a beat.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

We don't grow many whites and it is not my favorite color (unless it has a contrasting eye), but I do admit that they make a nice contrast to all the hot colors in our garden.

See Me-Feel Me-Touch Me was nice this summer.

Our Lillian's Thin Ice was beautiful this year, though nothing like Debra's.

Also Known As did very well this season.

Buzz Saw was almost yellow this year.

More to come . . .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Heavenly Angel Ice is a delicate beauty, but it has never done well for us.

Heavenly Snowflake is a much better performer for us.

Last Snowflake never has very many buds, but what it does have are beautiful. It is registered as a late but does not bloom late for us.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nancy, sorry to hear Heavenly Angel Ice doesn’t do well for you. It was a recent addition here, hasn’t bloomed yet. I like Last Snowflake, like the green throat.

Sherry

• harold100

Wineberry Candy. Would you folks call this antique white, or cream? It really isn't so dark, but I like to photograph them after sunset for heavier color saturation.

• signet_gw(6b)

Speaking of whites, has anyone seen Buffalo Blizzard (2006) by Brent Ross 2006 36 inch tet sev ( it is presently available on the lily auction) Now that is a real white one although listing says off white to cream .....sure looks white in the picture!

https://www.daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi?cultivarseover20&1573256914

• shive

Other favorites for me:

Heavenly Snow White is a true white here.

Ice Cream Emperor

Queen of Narnia

Rowena Yaeger

Karen - It's interesting that you mention Arctic Lace as being the bloom that started your addiction. Mine hasn't bloomed well for at least three years. I started digging up that garden to make seedling beds last month and discovered it was heavily infested with grubs. I guess that's been the problem with Arctic Lace in recent years.

Debra

• celeste

Brad left us some extra spots for pics

so I wanted to post my Desert Icicle, which is where Brad got his:) I wouldn't want to leave this one out!

• samhain10 - 5a

Love that one, Celeste!

• Nancy 6b

I like white daylilies and added a few this year. I don't seem to be having luck posting photos right now so will try again later.

Debra, I love Lillian's Thin Ice. I have L. Vapor Trail, but i think i like LTI better.

Sherry, i like Sunday Gloves. My Ice Carnival did not bloom at all this year.

Brad, Desert Icicle was new for me this spring, pretty blooms but short. Yours is really pretty.

Signet, I love Lace Cookies. I moved mine a couple of years ago, apparently it did not like it's new spot, immediately started to decline and completely gone now.

Karen, Artic Lace and Great White look so nice, I really like the form of Great White. Nice seedling too.

Alex, a great pic of Wonder of it All.

Kate, love Voila Francois. A fan survived my husband putting a cart on top of it. Stardust Dragon is pretty,and with those buds is a real keeper.

Celeste, White Satin and Heavenly Curls are beautiful

Nancy, last Snowflake is so nice. Heavenly Angel Ice does pretty well here, wish it were a little taller. So very white though

• Nancy 6b

Will try to post my whites, I have Lillian's Vapor Trail and Desert Icicle, but can't find those pictures.

August Wedding is occasionally this white for me, but normally very light yellow. Good bloomer

Thought I had a clump shot of Heavenly Angel Ice that looked really good, but can't find it

Lime Frost, I would like this a lot if it were late like it is supposed to be

Margo Reed Indeed

Shelby Summer Blush

White Zone

Seedlings

this seedling is more light yellow,

• shive

Nancy 6B - I really like your white seedlings, especially the first two.

Debra

• KarenPA_6b

Nancy (Hoosier), Nancy 6b, Celeste, Debra, love everyone's whites. It's hard not to love a good white as they are the only ones that don't splotch in my garden ever. I just love all the ones with the edge be it toothy or ruffle. I also like all the UFs that everyone has posted esp. Lillian's Thin Ice, Desert Icicle, Heavenly Snowflake, and HAI. See Me-Feel Me-Touch Me looks very white and very nice. Love the edge on Ice Cream Emperor and Also Known As. Nancy B, your seedlings are very nice too! I particularly like the second one with a lot of buds. I bet your seedlings look a lot whiter in person. For some reason, the camera makes it appear more yellow than how it is in person. I wish my Margo Reed Indeed blooms as nice as yours.

• KarenPA_6b

Debra, I am sorry to hear about your Arctic Lace infested with grubs. Can I ask what kind of grubs are they? Ate they the Japanese beetles grubs? Was it you who said that your Arctic Lace struggled with rust but survived it many years ago? That was the picture that really changed my view of daylilies being plain and boring. They are anything but that and a whole lot more!

• samhain10 - 5a

Nancy6b - Margot Reed Indeed is my first choice of yours, and the two seedlings which are showing rather more lemon-yellow are really nice!

Alex

• KarenPA_6b

Here's a pic of Gentle Shepherd for comparison of whiteness.

• Nancy 6b

Karen, I was so pleased with that 2nd seedling, it bloomed so well. It is not the whitest in my garden but whiter than it shows in that photo. It rebloomed quite late in the season and was one of the last to finish blooming. I hope it continues that. This was its 2nd bloom year. And Margo had an exceptional year, I wish I could find the rest of my photos, I must have deleted them. I took a few of the clump of Margo in full bloom, and it stayed in bloom 7 weeks.

• Brad KY 6b

Karen, I used to have Gentle Shepherd. It and Joan Senior were very close in "color" but i liked the form and reliability of Joan better so it won out.