Need help with over seeding a weedy/patchy lawn in L.A. (SFV)

HU-349666461

In the last 6 months my lawn went downhill. It was seeded early last year and it looked great until the summer when it started thinning, yellowing and balding in spots. Right now there are a handful of spots where it is actually green and thick. I want to over seed it to try and make it look better, all I know is that they used "MVP" grass seed last year (I didn't own the house then so I don't have details on what was used besides that). My question is: Can I use any type of grass seed and be successful? what type would be best based on my location (Sepulveda Basin area)? Any help is appreciated!!

• Tom

I think 'MVP' is perennial ryegrass. This type grass can be planted fall and winter in So. Cal......as it never gets cold enough to halt germination of ryegrass. Many different brand names of perennial rye are available ( it doesn't have to be MVP brand ) . Home depot carries 'Scotts' brand rye- which is pretty good. Next summer, consider overseeding your lawn with something tougher and more drought tolerant. Rye uses too much water in the summer. Around July 1- mow your yard short, remove clippings and seed an improved Bermuda variety- such as 'La prima ' ( available many places on-line) into the rye lawn. After you seed , drag a leaf rake over the area in several directions- to force the seed down toward the soil line.

HU-349666461 thanked Tom
  • Tom

I have been informed that there is a MVP Tall fescue blend also. If you can post a close picture- I can tell you what type grass you have. If you have Tall fescue and want to plant Bermuda in the summer- the fescue will have to be killed before you can plant. If you don’t kill it- you will have clumps of Tall fescue in your Bermuda for all eternity! :)

HU-349666461 thanked Tom

@Tom Here is what I'm working with.

• Tom

It’s Tall fescue. You can seed more Tall fescue into the area to increase the density. There are many brand names available . Most are good....but stay away from the one labeled- ‘Kentucky 31’

• The Average Lawn Guy

Stay with tall fescue, depending how much shade you have, that may be the best option for you.

• Tom

You can seed Tall fescue anytime in the fall (southern Cal ). A few years back- I planted a Tall fescue lawn with night time temps in the mid 40’s. I couldn’t believe how fast it germinated.....I think it was just a week

• The Average Lawn Guy

If you decide to overseed, I would make sure you establish seed to soil contact. It's helpful to apply a light coating of peat moss and keep it moist until the seed germinate. Do not apply any preemergent for at least 1 year. Also, make sure you remove the dead grass and expose the soil before you reseed.

• dchall_san_antonio

For your location in SoCal I would stay away from rye and fescue, including the popular Marathon dwarf fescues. Those work if you're down in the lower coastal fog zones, but not at all where you are. It gets too hot in the summer there, and you have to water it every day to keep it alive. Instead if you have full sun and no large trees casting shadows on the yard, I would recommend either hybrid TIF 419 bermuda (sod only) or UC Verde Buffalograss (plugs only). Both of these are fine bladed and extremely drought tolerant. You can rest easy if you end up under watering restrictions. The turf may look parched but it will come back at the first rain. The bermuda requires more mowing and fertilizer to look great. The UC Verde pretty much lives on with minimal mowing and fertilizer. But those are only for full sun yards. If you have buildings, fences, shrubs, or trees making shadows, both the bermuda and the buffalo will thin way out in those shady spots. Another relatively drought and heat tolerant turf is St Augustine. It is a coarse bladed turf compared to the others and comes as plugs or sod. When mowed at the mower's highest setting and watered deeply once every 2 weeks (in your area this time of year), it should be great for you even in fairly deep shade.

• Tom

Also/. American sod in Escondido- now has ‘TifTuf ‘ Bermuda - which uses 30% less water than Tifway. Unfortunately no seed- it’s a sterile hybrid. So it’s only available in sod