Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heather_arnold54

Home Decorator’s Distressed Brown Hickory Laminate

Heather Arnold
4 years ago

This stuff is $1.49/sq foot at Home Depot with decent reviews. I just laid it down against baseboards and I LOVE it. It isn’t installed yet, but has anyone used this specifically? Any tips I need to know to help with ease of installation?

Comments (3)

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Read the installation instructions many, many many times. Each and every time you come across a word or phrase that doesn't compute, jot it down and look it up. Do this every time you read the document. Each time you jot down a word/phrase, you will want to reread the document. Example: you come across 10 things that 'sound' like the English language but MIGHT have a different meaning within the context of the building trades. Therefore you reread the document 10 times.

Do your measurements around doorways and down hallways and where two floors meet one another. Measuring is done on all three axis. That is to say, North/south + East/West + Up/Down. The 'up/down' is the measurement for under the doorways and at the walls (will the floor run UNDER the baseboards or will it sit NEXT to the baseboards and require shoe mold or quarter round to finish the space?).

And the thing you REALLY want to understand are 'transition strips'. These are required through all doorways or 'pinch points'. You will require transition strips where the laminate meets another floor (like tile, etc).

And you will need to PURCHASE the required transition strips from the store/manufacturer. These come in standard sizes/shapes (T-moldings, uneven T-moldings and sometimes reducers). You will need to know which one goes where and how much to order (measurements).

Understand what 'flat' means and what a flatness rating is. And understand how to measure for it. That normally requires a 10ft level (which we ALL have kicking around, don't we? ;-P). That's tongue in cheek of course. Even though I worked in flooring, I still, to this day, do not own a 10ft level (I know...what was I THINKING?!).

And buy a laminate flooring installation kit. They are about $20 at HD. They will save your bacon...every single run (run = row).

Whew! Who said flooring was simple? No one in the industry that's for sure.

Please keep asking us questions. Try to be specific. As you've just realized, your question is a MASSIVE open-ended one...even though it sounded simple while you wrote it. You can use questions like: "What is a 10ft level and where do I get one?" Things like that will keep your project moving nicely.

• Heather Arnold
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow! This all sounds terrifying. We are helping our contractor install so I’m more just wanting to make sure we know enough to make sure he isn’t doing a sloppy job. I have been less than impressed with a few things they have done this far.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

OK...so there's the real question: How to keep an eye on my GC when installing flooring?

Remember: Flooring is a specialty item. Like drywall, ceilings, tiles and baseboards. Even though GCs like to THINK anyone can install a floor, it actually takes practice. Flooring should not be given over to 'a guy' who swings a hammer.

My very first question would be (to the GC), "What's your plan for the flooring contractor?" This simple question indicates that you EXPECT a flooring professional is being used. If the GC looks at you like you have 2 heads and says, "I'm laying the floor" then you know he's trying to save money on flooring.

If you have been unhappy about other aspects of the project, then I would not expect anything different for the flooring.

Which rooms are scheduled to use this laminate? What are the other floors being used? Is this a renovation or is this a 'new build'?