katyajini

TALL, fragrant climbers, Viking Queen, Isabella Skinner, Strawberry Hi

katyajini

I am trying to choose some 'very' tall and fragrant climbers. Here I have three pink ones I am thinking of. Please comment how these bloom for you, the fragrance, the canes whether stiff or flexible, long or short laterals....anything that makes them special for you or not. I have an entryway arbor and some stretches of a long trellis where I would like to have, need to have tall vigorous climbers. I am also looking for good blooming and fragrance...actually, they can grow slowly but eventually I would like them to get big. If some others such climbers come to mind, please mention them.

Thanks!!

Maybe Mortimer Sackler also?

Why does HR classify Strawberry Hill and Mortimer Sackler as small shrubs?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I adore Viking Queen so much so that I have two. I have seen it growing up a huge tall Arbor in Worcester zone 5 but others do not find it hardy that cold. It's a cream puff of a rose with a lovely lovely fragrance and excellent health. It does not grow nearly as exuberantly as New Dawn / Awakening however for me. I will post pics later. I know Sheila grows Isabella Skinner AKA Victorian Memory. I have this rose also but it is still in a pot. I believe she is nearly thornless.

Are you looking for specific colors in a rose? I grow many but mainly look for fragrance. I would strongly recommend Madame Alfred Carriere. Gorgeous Rose, wonderful fragrance nearly thornless with lithe canes.

katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • katyajini

Thanks! I am exploring tall climbers of different colors. Here I am thinking of pink ones. It helps me to think in groups by colors. I also thought of Annie but I guess that probably is not going to happen....I am open to all kinds of suggestions. I have ordered MAC for a different spot. I would love to see pictures when you find the time. You always have been so helpful!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I will try to remember to post tomorrow with some pictures. But off the top of my head some for you to look at when you can't sleep would be Setina, climbing La France, DreamLland!, Felix LeClerc, Pink Don Juan, Pink Ghislaine de Feligonde, climbing Gruss an Aachen. Cl. The Fairy and climbin Pink Pet.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I have Victorian Memory which is wonderfully fragrant. My Viking Queen is also loved. I have trained neither. They are both newish. I just let them do whatever, so don't think this is the best they look.

These photos are pathetic put there is something special about this rose. I'll try to do better next Summer.

katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I love the colors on both Victorian Memory and Viking Queen. They don't wash out in the sun. I really should train them a bit.
    Viking Queen this week.
    So warm when all is going Fallish.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Strawberry Hill can be a small climber in warm zones. I have one own root and one grafted. Both will climb. I love the scent of SH. It has its own scent that is unlike most roses I've smelled. It has been described as the scent of old fashioned violet candies. I havent had those, so I can't confirm but it sounds nice lol.

katyajini thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • katyajini

Sheila, your pictures, your land, your roses always make me weak. I think I am going to love both VQ and IS. Does IS have a darker pink color? I wish someone could tell me about how big I could expect them to be where I am?

Sultry, I would love to get SH seeing the picture on DA website. They have it listed as up to 12 ft. I even called them this morning and they insisted that SH will grow to 12 ft and even more in my area. That just does not jive does it? Is yours very young? Do you think it will grow much higher with time??

Thanks so much!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

One of mine is in its first year (grafted one). Its in a pot and 6ft, easy. the other is almost 3 year, but own roots. The OR really took a while to get going here but its doing better now and I expect it will leap this spring. It might do 12ft who knows. I would give it space and a nice trellis.

Here, 12 ft is a small climber lol.

Doesn't Helen have an older Strawberry Hill? I forget how long she's had hers lol.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

VQ will grow into a large climber in your zone since it climbed over a large arbor at the Wooster rose garden. Mine isn't as big as that since it always seems to get cane borer low on the stems and my second one was transplanted from a lousy spot only last Fall so it was very small to start the season. If I can locate my old flashdrive I'll find pictures of the ones in Wooster. I believe you are Z7? so expect it to climb well.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Here are some pics from my garden as well as screen grab showing variety of blooms. This is Viking Queen. Most are from last year. As usual, click to see properly.

Viking Queen and Cornelia

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Katya, thank you for your kind remarks. Yes, IS is a deeper color here. They are both saturated colors that always look good.

• katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

What a beauty, Vapor! I'll show mine your photos for inspiration.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

OMG! I am so scatter brained. I just went down the rabbit hole of old pics in flashdrives and completely forgot I was looking for the Wooster pics! I saw some of FreedomGardens, but totally forgot about VQ. Maybe I'll try again later, but the order is so wacky that I can't easily find them. Maybe I'll see what's in my Dropbox. It was AMAZING to see the change in my yard; what a total jungle!!!

....and thank you Sheila, but I don't think yours needs much help! : ))

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

If you can use a very pale yellow, Lunar Mist, sport of Colette, climbs in cold zones. Voles got my first one, but I have a new one. It's a must for me because of it's hardiness - z2!

I also just planted Isabella Skinner and expect her to climb an arbor. A good one for arbors since her blooms are pendulous. Also hardy to z2. Fragrant.

Strawberry Hill is a shrub here. I must be doing something wrong. I wanted to wrap her around a post. She's willing, but not long enough. Flexible canes. Fragrant.

I have a new Coral Dawn that's reportedly very hardy. Finding climbers that actually climb and don't have to start from the ground every year is my goal.

I'm having good luck with Peggy Martin, but, be warned - she's as wide as tall, and would prefer to climb sideways, along the top of a fence.

Out of 5 Eden plants, one is unbelievably outstanding. Three are doing good and one is a dud. (Three of them were supposed to be Pretty in Pink Eden.)

Nahema is new, but I'm impressed at her hardiness. Obviously wants to be tall at 5' already. Our nights have been in the 20's for a good month, and she's still looking good. She hasn't lived through a winter yet. Fragrant.

Gee, I guess I need Viking Queen! I had no idea she was that beautiful, Sheila and Vap.

katyajini thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I personally feel almost every one could use VQ! : ))

• katyajini

Thank you for those those convincing pictures of VQ Vap. I can see how much you love it and I will love to have it too. I think IS has almost a similar look? I would love to see the transformation of your yard. I have a feeling mine is going to be so over planted.

Sultry..12 feet is a small climber, nice. I like that. I like big roses and I will put this on my list. Do you have a picture of yours, please to form some idea?

Flowers thanks for all those recommendations! Me too, I want climbers that are reliably climbers and stay up there.. What do you mean out of 5 Edens...? Individual plants of Eden vary a lot? I did get pretty in pink eden. Looked so beautiful to me and puts out so many blooms even though barely fragrant. You think it might not work? I did get a Nahema. The really big climbers, I think I will get after I have planted most of the shrubs and small climbers and see how that feels!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Five Edens was not my plan. I had 2 on an arbor, then bought 3 Pretty in Pink Edens for another arbor and a porch post. Those three PiPEs turned out to be Edens. The one on the post has exceeded my expectations for ANY climber here. And, it has gotten the least amount of TLC.

My two original Edens on an arbor have done about as I expected. Slow getting started, but year 4 produced enough blooms to make me very happy.

Might add that that great one on the post died to the ground it's first winter and didn't come back from the roots until the following FALL. I'm SO glad I didn't remove it.

I wasn't clear about Peggy Martin. She wants to grow sideways, but I'm training mine on an arbor. It can be done. I saw it on the blog, The Garden Diary. I pay attention to what she does because she's in z5 with snowy winters.

• katyajini

Thank you Flowers. I am going to get Both IS and VQ. And SH. I am going to have so many BEAUTIFUL pink climbers!