margib_a2

Help me de-sage-ify my house

margib_a2

Planning to repaint our 15 year old house and we want to get rid of some of the sage (Gray Mirage on the walls and Nantucket Gray on the trim-ceiling is White Dove-all BM) and lighten it up a bit. As you can see, we have a lot of wood, stone, trim and light. Although our great room has both east and west exposures, no amount of windows can overcome the dreary Michigan skies.

We are leaning towards gray or a gray green (I know, I know..we already have gray green but something much more gray then green). We dont want a tan or purple undertones or anything too blue and no sterile whites. We dont want something so light that you need to use your imagination to see it .

My husband a) isn't big on change so whatever we do, we with live with for a good long time and b) doesnt like white trim so thinking a deeper gray for the trim.

Does anyone out there have some suggestions for us? I have gone down the rabbit hole of gray paints and am more confused than ever.

• Sheeisback GW

Your walls look a gray green to me (on my phone).

Whatever you end up with just keep in mind your hard finishes- the fp stone and kitchen slate. I think the color would look best to be something pulled from there or with the same undertone as one of the colors.

Just clarifying, when you said paint the trim, did you mean repaint what’s already paint? I see in the fp room there’s wood trim (and it relates to the other wood in the room.)

Pretty house!

fwiw I have sw repose gray in my windowless basement gym. It looks very ’raspberry’. Definitely test whatever you’re considering on poster board. Leave a few inches of white around the boarder to help see the color right. Use painters tape on back to attach to wall and move around during the day to see he lighting changes.

margib_a2 thanked Sheeisback GW
    Color Zen

Creamy white... not stark, almost a very light tan. Drab to fab :) This comes from your Milwaukee neighbor also stuck under the gray cloud.

margib_a2 thanked Color Zen

Help me update and sell my house!

In the kitchen, I took those terrible curtains down, replaced the backsplash with an earthy neutral color, put some new lighting in, rearranged the counters a good deal, and repainted the wall on the left hand side to a light, spent very little on Craigslist for some simple lamps, vases and artwork to bring some life into the place, painted the entryway and placed a little stand there, and painted the rail on the staircase black. The staging and decoration alone made a world of difference - the stager and I really went wild on the mantel and living room. It completely changed the look and really made the whole place pop. Here are a couple of pictures of the updates - the backsplash hadn't been done yet, and the rail hadn't been painted, but the rest was completed when these were taken.

Help! My sofa was gray in the store, but looks brown in my house!!

I work in a couture fabric shop and one of the biggest challenges is matching colors. There are colors, such as taupe and say, periwinkle, that change based on what colors are next to it. For example, periwinkle looks purple until you put it next to purple, and then it looks blue. Put it next to blue it looks purple. Same with taupe. Put it next to gray and it looks brown; put it next to brown and it looks gray. Lighting is a huge factor. We have fluorescent lighting which will change all colors. So we take the customer outside to see what color you perceive it to be under natural light. So if you want your sofa to look more gray, put it next to brown.

Please help me with some fresh paint colors for my home's exterior!

I do need to do something with that slumpstone / wrought iron fence. I had been covered with vines, but we trimmed and cleaned out a lot of it and now it's awfully bare. Even under all the greenery, I didn't like it. I have thought about painting it but don't know what color -- something to blend in to the background, or something to blend with the house. I've also thought about lime washing it, whitewashing it, even stucco-ing over it. Would love to knock it down and put a picket fence, but don't have the budget for that. I have also thought about painting the "wrought iron" (I think it's aluminum) a dark black/green to blend with foliage.

Please help me stage my home

Decoenthusieste, are you there? Is this what you meant for me to do? When I first painted, papillion 2, I started with "softened green" on the strip number 26 by sherwin Williams. It seemed kind of blue once it was on. I then repainted with artichoke, which is two colors up on the same strip. In person, I have received many compliments on it. The intensity of the other color next to it, seemed to require a heavier color. I'm adding another picture so you can see the proximity of the two colors. Somebody suggested using the ceiling color on the walls. While that would tie in with the other room, would it blanch out the kitchen too much? I'm very frustrated.
  • margib_a2

We are thinking repainting the trim..and my husband is a no white trim guy. All these other suggestions are great but I am afraid I would grow tired of them. We will probably live with whatever color we choose for a long time. I want some color but not too much color (does that make sense)?

I forgot to mention, the front foyer is bluestone as is the hearth, so between that, the tile and granite (all which are staying for now) there is strong green blue theme hardwired to the room.

• hollybar

For some reason, your dilemma made me recall the Darryl Carter shades from BM. Something like Broxburn Greige or Sheridan Gray might suit you. And with LRVs in the 60s, should lighten things up. You've a lovely home and that Gray Mirage looks great in it, but I understand the desire for change ;-)

https://houseandhome.com/decorating-design/decorating-101-cracking-the-code/

margib_a2 thanked hollybar
  • housegal200

I hope you will banish all thought of painting the stunning trim. Here's a classic Houzz article about wall paints that go with wood trim. Do consider hiring a color consultant to come in during daylight and evening hours. I think your house is stunning! I love the BM Gentle Cream in the fifth photo down.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/11-terrific-paint-color-matches-for-wood-details-stsetivw-vs~9025200

• ShadyWillowFarm

I too think you need to go with a warm, creamy white for the walls. As I understand it, OP is only painting the trim that is already painted, correct? What about a warm gray for the trim? The natural elements are so gorgeous, let them stand out.

margib_a2 thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • margib_a2

Yep..we are only painting the trim that is painted...it is currently Nantucket Gray and it is a muddy green blue..all the wood is staying wood!

• margib_a2 thanked housegal200
  • niccidhg

BM Balboa mist is a nice neutral color - not tan, not gray,not too light, but lighter and brighter than Gray Mirage, without any of the sage green undertones. You can compare the difference and the LRV in the side by side photos. I think it would be a shame to paint your walls gray with all of your beautiful warm woodtones. On the other hand , something with too much yellow undertone might not provide the relief of contrast between warmth and neutral. You could then paint your trim in more of a bluish/ greenish gray. I will post that next.

margib_a2 thanked niccidhg
  • margib_a2 thanked niccidhg
  • Gcubed

I know you want a change, but it looks so nice already! If you do paint, go creamy white and add some color back with art work

margib_a2 thanked Gcubed
    Flo Mangan

I would improve your lighting! Then consider different wall colors. I can see very little lighting. The light over table is too high and too small. Your artwork could use lighting. Or find larger lighter pieces. Your home is gorgeous and lighting is key for you. Get to 3-4000 kelvin levels white. An arc lamp for some ambient lighting. Etc.

margib_a2 thanked Flo Mangan
  • chocolatebunny123

I have SW Mindful Grey in my basement and in that lighting there is definitely a green undertone, but not too sage-y. We recently repainted our family room which had SW Clary Sage as an accent wall on the wall where our fireplace is so I understand the need for change and to de-sage-ify.

margib_a2 thanked chocolatebunny123
  • tangerinedoor

The woodwork is reminiscent of craftsman style. I would look up some craftsman home photos to get some ideas about paint color for the walls.

https://thebungalowcompany.com/interior-elements-craftsman-style-house-plans/

https://www.homestratosphere.com/craftsman-homes/

https://www.janelockhart.com/portfolio/new-craftsman-style/

Then do one room at a time....

• everdebz

Do you have wall[s] in mind for a change - and that don't receive any light at all?

I notice your pretty orange-y rug - has that entered into a direction?

margib_a2 thanked everdebz

You’re welcome.

margib_a2 thanked JudyG Designs
  • Yayagal

CreateGirl: Color Time - In Your Eyes Benjamin Moore · More Info

This is a blue greenish gray

color

• cindysmalling

I really like the cream idea but not yellowish. Take a pic of your stone and your wood work with your phone and take with you to paint store to see undertones.

I would definitely get samples and brush on the wall. Then I would live with it a few days, studying the light at various intervals, during the day and evening with your lighting.

• Mel F

BM Elmira White. Perfect Greige on the warm side. Here it is in my foyer. We don’t get a lot of light in our house and it’s a dreary day here in ni and it still looks warm. Good luck!

• margib_a2

I dont think a creamy off white is the direction we want and my husband wants the trim to blend with the wall. Our living space is an open layout and we want to make it cozy and serene. I bought some of the stick-on paint samples and think our LRV sweet spot is about 60. (Current Gray Mirage is 55). On the attached picture, you can see-

Stonington Gray (BM) Titanium (BM)

Passive (SW) Repose Gray (SW)

Moonshine (BM) Brushed Aluminium (BM)

I dont think any of these work-the swatches of Passive, Repose Gray and Brushed Alumium aren't different enough from our existing to meet my desire to switch things up and the Titanium and Moonshine are too light. The stonington has the middlest LRV of the bunch and seems to be a sweet spot between too dark and too light but not sure I am loving the color. Any suggestion for something green gray, not too celery or baby blue. Thanks! Appreciate all your input!!

• shead

SW Repose Gray is a lovely color in the right light. In the wrong light, however, it looks lavender. Ask me how I know ;)

Have you looked at BM Revere Pewter. It has green undertones. I used it in our master at our last house and probably will again at this house once we remodel:

SW Austere Gray is also a gray with green undertones. My friend has used SW Oyster Bay it is gorgeous in her house but seems to pair better with a warm white trim.

margib_a2 thanked shead
  • niccidhg

Green gray - BM Sterling vs. what you have now

margib_a2 thanked niccidhg
  • Lauren E

OP, those colors you posted are much too cool, IMO, and will clash with that very, very warm woodwork. What about Agreeable Grey (SW) or Incredible White (SW - and it really isn't that white, it has some tint)?

pic (nighttime) is agreeable gray

margib_a2 thanked Lauren E
  • margib_a2 thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
    Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC

Taking your fireplace stone, backsplash and cabinetry into consideration, I would suggest BM Moonshine. I would paint the trim the same color as the walls.

margib_a2 thanked Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
  • margib_a2

Thanks for all the help!! Ordered more samples and will see what tomorrow will bring!!

• margib_a2

OP here! Anyone have any experience with Bemjamin Moore's Vapor Trail? Thanks!

• arcy_gw

DO NOT GO GRAY if change isn't embraced--it's already over done and on its way --O U T. I think your sage is spot on.

margib_a2 thanked arcy_gw
  • margib_a2

Gotcha!! If we dont go gray, but want to lighten the house, is there a sagey color you recommend. November Rain-which is one up on the paint strip and has been mentioned here looks very celery!

• J Williams

for your sake, I hope the celery you are eating is not that grey.

margib_a2 thanked J Williams
  • isabel98

november rain is not celery, I have this color in my home and it leans creamy in most light. I agree that it would look nice in your home

margib_a2 thanked isabel98
  • eastautumn

Your home is beautiful the way it is, but I do understand the desire for change when you need to re-paint anyway. The exterior of our house is Nantucket Gray with Gray Mirage on parts of our porch detail, so I'm obviously partial to the sage tones.

I agree with those who have suggested you try November Rain as a lighter wall color. If you do that, you may not even need to update the Nantucket Gray trim as I think it would work beautifully as-is. Another suggestion if you want to try an off-white would be BM Swiss Coffee. That's what we have in our hallways and open areas now and it's a nice, soothing off-white that looks great with wood tones and other traditional craftsman colors.

margib_a2 thanked eastautumn
    Flo Mangan

BM Swiss Coffee is a great neutral. When in doubt, go neutral and I love the concept of painting the trim the same color, but do flat on the walls, and satin finish on the trim. You can add greens of any kind in accessories and some mat on art, loads of different ways to bring the sage into the look. Sage can feel pretty dreary in darker settings. Stay away from grays. That is so over, and I am sooooooo glad.

margib_a2 thanked Flo Mangan
  • eastautumn

It must be regional, because gray isn't over in my area (in CO). My in-laws recently painted their interior a cold gray that looks awful with all of their warm-toned furniture and fabrics. I'm sure they could have found a warm gray that worked well, but they don't seem to notice or care.

I've also seen a lot of exteriors going gray in the last few years... Some that look nice, some not so much. When I look at real estate listings in my area (where there are many new builds), they seem to mostly have light gray interior walls and be staged with shades of gray, turquoise, and yellow, so I'm guessing that's what's trendy around here these days.

margib_a2 thanked eastautumn
  • margib_a2

Went to get a pint of November Rain and it is drying now. Paint store recommended trying Stingray as sort of a midway between Nov. Rain and Gray Mirage. Does anyone have any experience with this color? It looks awfully close to Gray Mirage to me.

We would love it if we didn't have to repaint the trim.

• Christina Leach

We have stained wood trim and, like you, my husband dislikes white painted trim. We have BM Revere Pewter in some rooms that get only minimal natural light and BM Baja Dunes in a room with a more southern exposure. I've been happy with both.

Baja Dunes

margib_a2 thanked Christina Leach
  • eastautumn

Unless you are just wanting to go a little more toward gray than sage, I wouldn't replace your Gray Mirage with Stringray. Stringray is still a sagey gray (just a little more gray and a little less green), but has almost the same LRV (light reflective value). Stringray is only slightly less dark (LRV of of 59 instead of Gray Mirage's LRV of 55), so it won't lighten things up for you very much if that's your goal. It really depends what your goal is for this refresh though.

Just because I love to play with paint chips, here's a picture of some of the paint chips you're working with/considering/comparing. If you like Stingray but want to go a little lighter than what you've got (and November Rain is too light for you), maybe you could try Early Morning Mist. It also looks nice next to the Nantucket Gray you've got on your existing painted trim.

margib_a2 thanked eastautumn
  • margib_a2

Here is November Rain on a board with Nantucket gray trim. Will keep it up for a day to see if how it changes. It is a pretty light khaki...but definitely wasn't headed in that direction a couple of days ago. Has the advantage of not having to repaint trim or recarpet stairs.

Flo Mangan

Now that you seem to be honed in on these colors, I did a analysis of them to give you input on their compatibility. Sometimes this is helpful in making decisions especially when lighting is variable. So here's the bottom line, the are very close on the Color Strategist Color Wheel in terms of Hue Family so they are compatible. Nantucket Gray is in the Yellow Hue family at 101 but getting close to the Green/Yellow hue family so can have some green/yellow attributes. November Rain is in the Yellow Hue family at 104, but closer to the Green Yellow Hue family. So if you want your walls to be more "beige" you probably need to consider other colors. Remember, just because a color is on the same paint chip "strip" doesn't mean they are in the same Hue Family. Also, Nantucket has a LRV of 40 and NR has an LRV of 71. So Nantucket is medium reflective quality, so not very light and bright if that is your goal. Hope this helps a bit.

margib_a2 thanked Flo Mangan
  • margib_a2

We think there is a trim/paint color mismatch and we don’t want beige. Don’t know if wanting to not repaint the trim is the cart driving the horse. We want something serene, restful and not trendy ( and no white trim..but we do like the trim to pop) and lighter. We liked the sage but it seems somber and weighty.

Thanks everyone! It takes a (virtual) village!

• everdebz

Looks like a trim we had from a company that offered I think it was 3 colors, and we chose Almond maybe... not everyone liked it and how muted it was.... didn't look so good with clear colors, brights.

margib_a2 thanked everdebz
  • margib_a2

Flo, do you have any suggestions for a gray sage paint, like gray mirage but lighter (LRV's closer to 60 to 70) that would work with the Nantucket Gray. The November Rain looked kind of sickly in the house at night. Thanks!!

Flo Mangan

I will check later today. Getting ready for dinner company.

• margib_a2

Thanks so much!!

Flo Mangan

I had some time so I have looked at the DNA of BM Gray Lake, BM Gray Cashmere, BM Silver Lake, BM White Heron, and Behr Silky White. I think BM GRAY CASHMERE might work to what you are looking for but it will have to be tested in your light. This is a great color and tends to play very nicely with a variety of other tones. It has an LRV of 65 so pretty much the reflective zone you want. It is in the green/yellow hue family so should work with existing trim color. Have you tried it yet?

margib_a2 thanked Flo Mangan
  • ci_lantro

Eastautumn, Colorado is one of the sunniest states in the US.

I live in central Wisconsin & cringe when I use gray automotive primer on metal.

• margib_a2

ThanksI Will give it a look!!

• margib_a2

Does anyone have any experience with Spring Thaw (BM). It is 1 up on the BM color palette from Gray Mirage and looks to be a lighter version. I just got a sample and am waiting for it to dry but it looks like it has possibilities...there are very few pix of it on the web and I am a little afraid of it being minty...but so far it looks like a lighter sage gray green.

• eastautumn

I think Spring Thaw looks beautiful with Nantucket Gray, and will definitely give you a lower LRV than November Rain. I also think the Gray Cashmere Flo suggested looks nice with Nantucket Gray and has the craftsman color vibe I love (that will blend nicely with your tile, wood, and other craftsman elements). It will probably appear blue next to the Nantucket, which would also be nice (and would "de-sage-ify" more than Spring Thaw would) ;)

margib_a2 thanked eastautumn