lizmattphilly

Trends in flooring color...

Liz Matt
last modified: November 7, 2019

Hi Houzzers, thanks in advance for your perspectives.

Background: I expect to buy a new mid-priced condo with some luxury features (9 foot ceilings/river view) in a community that typically attracts young working couples, before kids or with their first kids, who are establishing careers and who commute to the city. We are on the other end of the age spectrum... grandparent age and choosing this place to be available to our nearby offspring. I explain because I see this as just a 10 year need. Possibly 15, but certainly 10.

My question: what color and “grain” of LVP has some basic staying power for 10 years? That is flooring option I have to choose for budgetary reasons.

The 1948-built family home we left behind (see photo 1) had beautiful hardwood red oak narrow planks. This is neither on-trend nor in the budget, but I loved the fact that it worked visually and aesthetically in every room, regardless of style, over the course of 25 years.

The LVP in the model home for the condos is a dramatic gray/black. It’s very chic. But it seems to me it will easily become dated.

I have used a whitewashed-look tile in another property, but that is a very beachy setting and looked appropriate. This new neighborhood is city/suburban and attracts the aspirational exurban young couple.

Strand bamboo LVP (see pix) has a simple grain with no knotholes and some medium colors. It seems like it could be a useful background for myself now and a future buyer. Prognosticating is hard. I know what I like right now, but it’s because it resembles what a I had before.

Forgive the Christmas tree. It’s the photo from my old house that shows the most hardwood, which was easy to live with/decorate with.

Thanks for insights.