1nonlyj

Le Creuset fans?

IdaClaire
last modified: November 7, 2019

I'd love to know which pieces you own, which are your favorites, and where you think the best places to buy are. I have a whopping two pieces (coffee press and platter) in the Caribbean hue. I absolutely love this stuff and would like to have more of it, but since it's not exactly inexpensive, I must plan future purchases carefully. Please share if you're a fan / user of this lovely stuff. Would appreciate input and opinion.

• olliesmom

I didn't either, Ida! LOL. But, had to have it! I got it at an outlet store on sale. Their flame color is always on sale at Halloween.

Someone mentioned the LC Braiser. I use it a lot. I got it in black. I had a hard time deciding which size to get on the braiser, because there are only three of us, but I ended up getting the bigger one. The only downside is, it won't fit in my buffet-the cabinet door won't close all the way, so I have to store it in one of my drawers underneath my countertop. The smaller one would have fit in my buffet, and sure would have looked good up there!

Good to know about the Zwilling website, Zalco!

• IdaClaire

I was just looking at the Zwilling site last night. Lots of pretties, and I assume the "visual imperfections" aren't a worry? I know nothing's going to stay brand-new-looking forever. (Much like my new red sports car, which now has a fine scratch in the hood's clear coat thanks to an "oops" during a recent handwashing. Oh well. **it happens.)

What would you consider the perfect piece of LC or Staub for soups and stews? I know size depends on how many you're cooking for, but let's say 2-4.

Sweet deal!

@CHLOEBUD and @PRINTESA--- I have Le Creuset from 35+ years ago and still going strong! I don't like the newer stuff so I snap up what I can find of the old at sales etc. IF it is REALLY cruddy--oven cleaner. I got a whole SET inc the big stew pot the small stew pot and several handled pieces and lids for $10 at a sale--the color was grey which didn't thrill me but my son was HAPPY to have them! I have two of the large stew pots--one I got for 50 CENTS at a fund raiser sale as it was deemed too cruddy to sell. It has raised "grill" lines on the bottom--I have never seen another one like it. All of the ones I have kept are flame. My son has an odd assortment of whatever mom found at sales over the years--I had a cedar chest I filled with this stuff for my kids. Just be aware---if you drop them--they can crack. Don't ask how I know this! And yes the Co did replace the pot. I recently picked up a vintage classic Dansk red enamel rectangular baker that I thought I might sell. My daughter didn't realize that and used it and we liked it a lot and it fits in my convection oven when little ELSE does apparently! Guess we are keeping that! The LAST thing I need is to go buy MORE cookware!!!!! But few things I own FIT in that oven! Excuses, excuses!!!!!!

Kitchenaid mixer color

I chose a white one. Then I took 2 colors of vinyl and cut circles and swirly shapes on my Cricut and put them on my mixer. It's unique and beautiful.

Kitchenaid mixer colors!

I have a white one and love it, but have moved it off the counter. I think I would rather have something, other than a mixer, to add color and focal point. I like to change things out often and the mixer is too dominate and expensive to accomplish that. I just lug mine out of the pantry when I need it. : )

Le Creuset color for kitchen

Looking at your shelves above the range, the items that are white tend to disappear into the white backing of the shelving and the blue bottles on the right side "pop". I think your decision is whether you want to show it off or let it kind of disappear except for seeing a gold knob. And down the road, if you decide to trade out other items, the blue will still work with red, yellow, greens, etc as it is a neutral color, too. Onto other world problems-lol....
  • olliesmom

I would say the 5 1/2 qt on LC. That’s the blue one below I grab the most. It’s easier to cook enough meat in there than the smaller 3 1/2 qt (grape color), IMO.

Not sure exactly what size my Staub is but comparable to the 5 1/2 size.

ETA: I couldn’t get the top pic off ugh! Was afraid I’d lose whole post if I messed with it too much.

• IdaClaire

The 5.5 qt looks like a perfect size! That's probably the direction I'll go. Not too big, not too small.

• eileenc

I currently have the 7 1/4 quart round Dutch oven on the cooktop making meatballs and sausage for a lasagna, that is one of my favorite sizes. Le Creuset replaced it last year after I contacted them about the older one that had badly discolored and I couldn’t get it cleaned. I had to return it to them which was not inexpensive due to the weight with no guarantees that I would receive a replacement in order for them to make a decision. They contacted me after receiving it and said it was defective, would I please select a color and get back to them. I probably own too many pieces as it is, one of which is a 13 quart oval sitting in the garage, it’s too heavy for me to deal with. But I love them all, my next favorite is the 4 1/4 oval Dutch oven But overall the larger one is better for sauces, stews and soups so I can freeze portions for future meals. Enjoy! Eileen

• Funkyart

I can't compare Staub and Le Creuset because I have all Staub. I will say that I am very pleased with the Staub. It doesn't come in all the great colors but I have been very pleased with the quality. They will go on sale over the holidays at Williams-Sonoma.. but I am off to see what they have on the Zwilling site.

• maire_cate

I have both Staub and LC and they are certainly comparable. I think I like my Staub better because the little spikes on the underside of the lid act like self basters. Condensation drips back into the pot. When I pick up the lid on my LC I have to remember to let the condensation run back into the pot or it will drip all over the stove.

As the LC - the Signature line is an improvement over the Classic. The Signature line has larger handles with a bigger loop so that it's easier to grab, the lid has a tighter fit, the knob can withstand temps up to 500 (although we replaced all our knobs with LC metal ones).

• Arapaho-Rd

At an even lower price point is Lodge. Has anyone compared that to Staub or LC?

• maddielee

Staub won in this comparison. Lodge wasn’t too far behind coming in 3rd. I still use my mother’s cast iron skillet (Lodge) that she received as a wedding present in 1934.

Dutch Oven - staub/LC/lodge

• Holly Stockley

I have a Lodge, and it does work well.

There is also Marquette Castings, which is a new company, that makes a nice piece as well:

https://www.marquettecastings.com/collections/enameled-cast-iron

• Lyndee Lee

I have a saucepan and a deep skillet with cast iron lid made by Cousance...don't know if that counts since they were purchase by LaCreuset but still using that name into the 1980s. The big pan is probably our most used item in the pan cupboard. I do have the small saucepan in Flame that I use for making oatmeal. I add the oatmeal and bring it back to a boil then put the lid on and turn the heat off and it stays hot for quite a while. That was a garage sale find as I only paid a dollar or two.

• IdaClaire

Are both LC and Staub cast iron and enameled pieces made in France? (Someone may have said upthread, but I'm lazy.)

• Funkyart

30 sec on google confirmed both are still made in France.

IdaClaire thanked Funkyart
  • IdaClaire

Thanks. (I TOLD you I was lazy. ;-D)

• Bunny

Maddielee, I read the Staub/LC/Lodge matchup link. Very informative. I ended up ordering a 4-qt. Staub (marine) based on the article. The price is not crazy, and I decided 4 qt. is a decent size cooking for one. I have old school cast iron DO that's 5.5 qt., but now I'm thinking a Lodge 6 qt is a steal. Where should I send the bill?

• Funkyart

I'm home sick today-- I can spare the 30 sec! ;)

I don't think I'd ever regret a staub purchase-- but I also don't think i'd spent over $100 on something with surface flaws unless I could inspect them myself. That said, the Zwilling site does have staub pieces on sale without the flaws :)

Bunny, my sister buys only Lodge-- and she's VERY happy with the brand. Sierra Trading Post has a couple of sizes of Lodge DOs on their site now at discounted prices (but I didn't compare them to amazon prices).

• chipotle

Email from Sur la Table says Staub is up to 65% off, but today is final day.

I was looking at the 4.5 qt. Perfect Pan. Could be a great everyday pan, but that 9 lb. weight makes it slightly less appealing. Then again, I do have a bottom drawer almost next to the stove that might be perfect. Perfect location for the Perfect pan?

https://www.surlatable.com/pro-1460922-perfect-pan-45qt-marin/PRO-1460922.html?cgid=SCA-428042#start=2

• IdaClaire

The site above that compares Staub, LC and Lodge is an excellent read. Made me lean a bit more towards Staub, but the Flame color still keeps pulling me back.

The Staub Perfect Pan in Chipotle's link looks a lot like the LC glass lidded braiser I just bought on Ebay. I wonder why LC stopped making the glass lids, or doesn't otherwise offer them as an option for all their cookware. Goodness knows they aren't hesitant about bringing a LOT of products to market.

Funky, hope you feel better soon!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)

Funky, some of the Le Creuset are made in Asia now.

Sorry you aren't feeling well!

• RNmomof2 zone 5

I have a 6 and an 8 qt Martha Stewart from Macy's. While the Le Creuset's are pretty I couldn't justify the $$ for me. Did I get both of my DD's one--why yes! One at a good deal from an Outlet, the other miss marked at TJ Maxx. (it was priced the same as the other knock off brands, whoops on the price sticker person!)

I use the 8 qt one probably more than the 6. I make Pioneer Woman's pot roast in the larger one frequently. The larger size just allows it to spread out more.

• Bunny

I went for a 6-qt Lodge in dark blue. Now I'm done.

• czarinalex

I was in homegoods today. There was a large selection of Le Creuset dutch ovens, pans and ceramics.

• Funkyart

Cyn, I knew some of the ceramics were made in China-- but I didn't know the cast iron was. My apologies. "I read it on the internet".

And thank you-- I am feeling better!

• olliesmom

Eileenc, I think I need that white one! Last year, when I bought my LC black braiser, I couldn't decide if I wanted the black or white, but went with the black. I need to look to see if they have a size I don't have. I will still probably grab the ol' blue one though:/

• IdaClaire

IS some of the cast iron made in China though? I know for brands like Lodge it is, but not LC and Staub - ? LC (not sure about Staub, since I'm not familiar with all its product line yet) produces its stoneware and other non-cast iron lines in Asian countries, but it's my understanding that all of the cast iron (at least for LC) is still made in the France foundry.

I would prefer to buy the France-made products. I'll buy the stoneware pieces that come from China, because there's really not much of a choice, but if I can choose a product that's still made in France, that's what I'd prefer to do.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Googling around suggests all LC cast iron is still made in France. I must admit to questioning whether or not the Star Wars lines and all the new fanciful designs are made in France or Asia.

• IdaClaire

LOL - The Star Wars line holds zero appeal for me. What an odd thing to associate cookware with!

• eileenc

Ollie’s, that’s funny, I have 7 pieces, I think. Blue, red and yellow, the one I sent back was yellow, I just needed a change from color, wanted the dune(?) that wasn’t available so I chose the white one. I‘m happy I made that choice.

• bbstx

Last year around Christmas, Williams Sonoma had an incredible deal on Staub Dutch ovens. I was going to buy several for gifts until I started reading the reviews. There were lots of comments about the Staub enamel coating failing. Of course, I cannot now find the particular DO with the negative reviews. Perhaps, W-S has discontinued that particular model. Nevertheless, I’m hesitant to buy Staub because of that.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Ida, WS carries tons of Star Wars and Harry Potter merchandise. I can't quite figure out who buys that.

• bbstx

Zal, did you see the Death Star toaster that leaves a design of a starfighter on the toast?

Did you see the $850 D&G toaster? I thought it was cute, but not $850 worth of cute!

• IdaClaire

Sooooo super cute!

But that price?!? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

• IdaClaire

I guess I'm preaching to the choir, but am just somewhat surprised by how LC is available almost everywhere! I've seen some decent-looking deals on privately-owned but new, or very gently used, pieces on Mercari. (And of course, eBay, Etsy, Shopgoodwill as well.)

• straitlover

Can you use the LC enameled cast iron on a flat top glass stove? We got a flat top glass stove for the beach condo and I'm not sure if I can use my mother's small DO on it or not. TIA!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)

Yes, I asked about that for a future reno which will have an induction. I was worried about scratching it, but the person at the Miele showroom showed me it would be okay and slid one all over the glass surface.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)

Funky, also some of the LC ones are made in Thailand as well. I think (pretty sure) all the cast iron pieces are made in France.

• eileenc

Zalco, two people who buy Star War merchandise are related to me, my stepson and his wife, 28 & 29. They were married on May 4th, neither my husband nor I realized the significance of the date until the music played during the recessional which was music from the movie, I don’t know the name. For those that are as oblivious as we were, “may the force be with you”. DH is praying that he doesn’t become a grandfather anytime soon.

Cyn, I have an induction cooktop, my LC pieces work fine. I would NOT slide one “all over the surface “ as the sales person did. If there are grains of salt on the surface, that could possibly scratch it and since it’s not an inexpensive appliance, I wouldn’t chance it.

• Bunny

New Lodge 6-qt Dutch oven being chatted up by the tea kettle. This guy is heavy. The blue is lovely and the price was good.

• IdaClaire

Very nice, Bunny!

• bbstx

I have the Lodge 7.5 qt, which I can hardly lift when it is full...or even half full. I also have a 4.5 LC that I got at TJ Maxx and a 2 qt LC saucepan that DD bought and didn’t like, but I love. Several years ago, I bought a Lodge 7.5 qt for DSS from Target and they shipped it to his house for free.

• nosoccermom

Re the enamel inside looking dingy

Probably not allowed, but since scouring powder only gets me that far, I bleach them. Works like a charm.

• IdaClaire

My two eBay-purchased LC pieces arrived yesterday. The sugar bowl (which I'd planned to add to my little coffee station on the counter) came with a broken lid, so I'm now seeking a return and refund. The glass-lidded braiser is gorgeous, but does have a small scratch in the outer enamel on one side. It may have arrived that way, or it may have happened when the heavy thing slipped from my grasp in the sink. It does appear to be IN the finish though; it isn't rough at all, which leads me to think that the item I purchased may have been a "second." I don't mind though, as the price was right and it's still a beautiful piece. Heck, it'll start showing signs of wear as soon as we use it anyway.

• Oakley

Staub's the Perfect Pan, which is on the Sur la table link above, is that the actual name for that type of pan? I'm ashamed to say this but I have the same pan in a nice stainless steel with a glass lid that I've never used because there are no long handles. I never knew what to do with it.

• nosoccermom

I have a bunch of LC au gratin forms. Learned the hard way not to put a frozen cobbler directly into the preheated oven. The form neatly cracked along the middle into two pieces.

Weird thing was that LC insisted I actually mail them the broken pieces to send me a replacement form --- which I did.

This is off topic, but the cobbler is IKEA rhubarb streusel cobbler. Absolutely delicious.

• chipotle

Oakley, that's what they call it. I have a hard anodized Calphalon piece called an Everyday pan. I use it as a wok substitute for the most part. There's no need for long handles on every pan.

https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-D1382PB-Commercial-Hard-Anodized-Everyday/dp/B00006FX83

• IdaClaire

1970s vintage on Etsy. Not pristine, but aren't they pretty! They even come with an original LC wooden rack. Not for me, but they'd be lovely in a big farmhouse kitchen. I believe the seller is located in the Netherlands.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/735488112/stunning-and-rare-complete-5-piece-pan?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=le+creuset&ref=sr_gallery-1-4&organic_search_click=1&cns=1

• Bunny

NSM, cast iron split in two? Or were they made of something else?

• bbstx

@Bunny LC makes a line of stoneware baking dishes. I was going to buy some from W-S that were on sale. Then I read the reviews. Many complaints about them breaking in half.

• Bunny

bbstx, thanks for the clarification.

• chipotle

bbstx, I have 2 pieces of LC stoneware. Never had a problem. (Knocking on wood.)