Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_209608460

slop sink in laundry room for 2 washers. what size plastic or metal

b r
4 years ago

Hey we want to install 2 washers and driers in our laundry room. What size slop sink is suggested to handle simultaneous washing and do I want metal or plastic base. Any pros or cone to either. Thanks a lot

Comments (14)

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

Family of 8 bought Speed Queen washer / extractor (commercial model). Extractors spin at a much higher speed, thereby rendering clothes "drier" before putting them into the dryers (two). Claimed it cut their laundry time in half.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Check out the laundry sinks available and choose a faucet with a sprayer you can lift off the faucet or is situated beside the faucet. The deeper basin and better controlled water supply splashes less and is more useful for work clean up and pets than most other sinks. If your pets are small, you might choose one large enough in which to bathe your pets.

https://homewrapping.com/best-utility-sinks/

• weedmeister
    4 years ago

Are you intending to drain into this sink or into two separate stand pipes? If into the sink, then you'll probably need a larger pipe to accommodate the two washers draining at the same time.

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Front loaders spin at a high enough spin speed that drying time is cut in half. A second basement laundry probably isn’t needed with the proper primary equipment. If it’s due to an extra large family, then you’d be better off adding a second laundry on a bedroom floor than the basement. The amount of work to upsize the drain pipe, add the electrical lines, and add the water supplies, won’t be markedly different.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

IF the second washer and dryer are because of what will be washed -- clothes of a roofer w/ tar on their clothes, for instance -- you could need that second set but do consider putting the second set in a different room or even basement so the wrong equipment doesn't get used for the wrong clothes.

If, amount of clothes is the issue, then, as live_wire_oak suggests, you choose larger front loading equipment with different load size settings, then it is unlikely you'll actually need two.

• b r
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey guys thanks so much for the input. But I’m back to my question of metal verses plastic. Yes we will have front loader for large family.

• b r
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And if we decide to drain to the sink can a sink handle 2 machines that’s the bottom line question what dimensions do I want

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    4 years ago

If I didn't have a sturdy basement laundry sink, I don't know where I would clean my paint brushes and flower pots.

• Lyndee Lee
    4 years ago

I have never seen a stainless steel sink look half as ugly as a heavily used plastic laundry sink after a couple of years. Those plastic sinks look and sound cheap

• graywings123
    4 years ago

Having always had plastic sinks, I would go with metal.

• Jerrod
    4 years ago

I have a double enamel on cast iron sink next to my washer. I like being able to see the condition of the water when it exits the machine. I use the other side for all other things. I see nothing wrong with having a sink and if I moved to a house with a standpipe I would have it capped and install a sink to drain the washer.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    4 years ago

It use to be that emptying the washer into a laundry sink was a thing when that was 15 gallons of water pumped from the washer very quickly and a load of laundry could be 40 gallons. There weren't a lot of 2" drains installed either.

By contrast, the new front load washers use very little water, 7-15 gallons for the entire load. Also code requires 2" drains for the laundry. If you have new front load washers and 2" drains, then using a drain pipe instead of the sink is the preferred method. If you don't have a choice - any standard laundry sink is going to be fine for your two washers.

A plastic tub is inexpensive and effective - but will look bad pretty quickly. A metal sink is easier to keep clean if you are concerned about how your laundry tub looks.

• b r
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank u so much