m111675

Herringbone tile kitchen backsplash - bullnose or schluter trim?

m111675

I am planning on herringbone tile for my kitchen backsplash. For the trim/end pieces, I'm thinking of either bullnose or schluter trim. Photos of either/both with a herringbone tile backsplash? Also I'm considering an arched tile for the herringbone tile, possibly using this tile in a herringbone pattern:

https://sonomatilemakers.com/product/stellar-2x4-arch/

With this arched tile, what end piece/trim to use? Might it look better to stick with a flat tile for the herringbone pattern rather than arched with the end piece/trim? Look forward to feedback on this. Thanks so much!

• mackdolan

Herringbone is way overdone, and doesn’t suit most home designs. Be sure that it fits your house. Because it’s going to be the skinny glass and stone stick tile that was popular around 2008, and that people are looking back on in horror in 2020.

Most tile these days does not come with matching bullnose. Because it’s bulky and awkward with the newer modern aesthetic. Which is why Schluter is popular. Another option is a pencil trim. Schluter is better.

Sabrina Alfin Interiors

I don't think that Sonoma tile will work well in a herringbone pattern because it has a dimensional quality to it. It's meant to give the appearance of a basketweave, and that quality will be lost if you set it differently.

A herringbone pattern made with subway tile has a vintage look to it. I'd go with bullnose edges to finish off the ends, or I'd get quarter-rounds to trim it out. Shluter edges will make the tile go in a more modern direction, IMO. If that's what you're after, great. But if not, use the suggestions above.

How to finish open edge of kitchen tile backsplash?

Definitely use the Shluter. Not only will it give you a cleaner finish, it will make repainting much easier if you decide to change the wall color in the future.

Kitchen Backsplash - Subway Tile - What size????

I'm going through a similar dilemma with our reno. I'm having light yellow cabinets and probably quartz countertops, though I haven't decided on the color yet. I want subway tiles, but I don't know if I should go with something standard, like 3" x 6", or if I should go for something like a 4" x 10". Also, glossy or matte? I'm leaning toward glossy, but I'm unsure. Too many choices!

Subway Tile Backsplash Bullnose - Help!

Good point about the smaller, thinner trim piece instead of the 2x6 bullnose. If I can't maintain symmetry on both ends, then something less noticeable would definitely help. Thanks, Skippack Tile & Stone!!!

Incorrect Install on Herringbone Backsplash

Oliver,,,if you like the 4" piece, then forgo the tile above. As was stated above, that's your backsplash if you paint the wall. if you like the tile, and the design, then don't interrupt it w/the 4" piece! it's one or the other. your design will look 10X better without that piece up the back. and since he is going to have redo the drywall anyway, have him pull it off. as for the pattern,,yes, that's a clear example. I'm betting dollar to donuts that your GC never forwarded that picture or showed it to the tile installer. ask the installer personally if he ever saw that photo.
  • m111675

Sabrina - If you click on the photos of the arched Sonoma 2x4 tile on the webpage I provided, it shows that tile in a herringbone pattern. It looks good in my opinion. If a subway or arched tile is placed in a herringbone pattern, would a bullnose go vertically? I doubt the arched tile comes with a bullnose. Thanks!

• m111675

Any photos of a herringbone tile kitchen backsplash with tile trim (not Schluter)? I agree Schluter would look more modern. Thanks!

Sabrina Alfin Interiors

@m111675, I saw that and I'm not a fan, actually. If you do dimensional tile vertically as shown, you'll have to use a trim piece because you won't have a straight edge to use bullnose tile.

That tile will not work in a herringbone pattern at all IMO and I agree herringbone is the pattern of the moment and hard to do properly .

• m111675

I appreciate your feedback. Why do you think this arched tile won’t work well in a herringbone pattern?

Because it is arched and not flat and IMO will be PITA to install even in a simple pattern it has texture, love the texture don’t go to a texture and a difficult pattern IMO a kichen bcksplash should also be easy to clean and and any texture makes that more difficult.I assume this is the picture you are referring to that is not herringbone that is basket weave and that is what that tile is for and I repeat how will you clean it when spaghetti sauce hits it. Also you will need to have trim pieces made for that tile IMO.

• live_wire_oak

I would never do that tile in a herringbone. It’s too textural. Any layout using it should be simple, to allow that tile texture to be the star. Herringbone is used with a very simple non textural tile, as the pattern provides the texture.

Plus the double labor herringbone pattern upcharge, and the handmade tile irregular tile size upcharge, would have a tile professional that could actually do this well be in the $3500+ range without any materials. In a 200K kitchen, that’s likely doable with no thought. In an average 65K kitchen? It’s a little less doable.

• m111675

Thanks everyone. Yes that photo shows the herringbone I am referring to. I would get it in white glossy tile, not with a pattern or texture on it. Just thought it would look pretty and the arches would add dimension and texture to otherwise mostly flat surfaces (like cabinet fronts) in a kitchen. But maybe it is a bad idea.

• eam44

You’re asking whether to use a Schluter edge or a bullnose trim. What is the style of your space and how many edges will it have?

• m111675

transitional style. i think two edges - one on end of each where it ends

• Sonja Thompson

I have very small marble herringbone for my backsplash, this is how it was finished off.

• Hillside House

Meh. It’s your kitchen. If you want that tile laid in a herringbone, do it. Most people aren’t splattering spaghetti sauce on their walls like some Jackson Pollock painting.

(Signed, someone who has a dimensional backsplash and no issues keeping it clean.)

• eam44

Transitional with two open ends - I’d go with a Schluter edge, but you have to check with your installer if you choose a dimensional tile. It might require a trim piece. I’d be surprised if it didn’t.

May we know what your counter material will be, or could you post an image?

Debbi Washburn

I really like that arched tile and even in the herringbone. You better have a damn good tiler and be prepared for xtra $$ in labor and material ( more waste ) . Due to the dimensional change in that I don't know if a simple Schluter would work. Whatever you choose has to be as high as the thickest part of that tile but finished on both sides since it will be very visible where the tile is thinner. I would go with a pencil

• Ephma

Schluter is difficult with dimensional tile. We did it, but it’s not perfect (though this spot was our only edge and in my mind was the best outcome for my preferences). You’ll just need to give some thought to how thick each tile will be at the cut edge.

• m111675

Thanks for the photos- so helpful to see! Seems like the questions are: (1) whether arched herringbone, and (2) edging for arched or not arched herringbone. As for whether arched, I understand comments on clean ability, but just like the texture. Seems the cost and whether edging would work well might prevent me from doing the arched. As for regular flat herringbone, might lean towards pencil or some other tile edging, if possible, rather than Schluter for the kitchen where transitional but maybe more on the traditional side of transitional. Unfortunately I don’t have photos of the space to share. Thanks!

Myrica4

I would only use a patterned tile like herringbone in a place that did not need to have an exposed edge showing anywhere (from an inner corner to an inner corner, or the back wall of an alcove etc).

Like this example but with both ends finished with either a wall or cabinet as stopping point.

• m111675

Yes I wish I could just do the herrringbone tile when ends at a wall but unfortunately in my kitchen, it does not, and I really like herringbone for a kitchen backsplash. On the topic of herringbone, what size herringbone tile would work well for a kitchen backsplash? 18 inches tall under cabinet space. I don’t want 3x6 here in a herringbone pattern because seems a bit stocky and don’t want really small. Maybe 3x9 or 2x4 (if arched) or 3x8? Photos of different sizes of tile in herringbone pattern in kitchen backsplash? Thank you!!!

• RNmomof2 zone 5

It was asked above what your counters will be. If you are planning the herringbone, your counters need to be simple.

I think the arched tile is pretty. You can't live with it in the running bond layout?

• m111675

The kitchen counters will be solid white quartz - a bright white with minimal dots and no veining. How do you think that would work with an arched or nonarched herringbone tile? I don‘t care as much for the arched tile in the running bond layout - it is ok but very horizontal, and seems nicer to have a vertical herringbone pattern for the arched tile for a basketweave. I like the texture but for some reason prefer the herringbone over the running bond for this tile. For a running bond for a backsplash, I would prefer 3x6 flat subway tile. Just thought this arched version adds more visual interest, especially with a plain white counter. I am envisioning seeing a basketweave china pattern in herringbone as the backsplash. But now I am

worried too expensive and may be too hard with the trim so instead may just do a flat tile herringbone backsplash. But with white grout which is what I would use may be too flat/boring?