shive_gw

Favorite Bicolor and Bitone Daylilies of 2019

shive
last modified: November 11, 2019

Show us your fabulous bicolor and bitone daylilies from this past season. The next category will be patterned daylilies.

My best performing bitone was Mississippi Magistrate that had 29 buds last season.

Westbourne Good Old Days always puts on a nice show.

Simply Charming has a wonderful flower.

Shadow Walker is another great one.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b

Very nice Debra. The first one is especially striking.

I don't have many. And I don't have a good picture of Labyrinth yet.

Art Gallery Expressionism and Bali Watercolor.

Erin Farmer and Pony

Westbourne Good Old Days and a Noid.

That's all for me.

Brad

• Nancy 6b

Beautiful Debra! Love the ruffles on MM. I got that Westbourne (thanks Celeste!) in the spring, it did not bloom this year. Hope it looks that good. Love Shadow Walker too

Next year I will pay more attention and plan ahead, I think I showed Clown Parade in the pinks, but you know it is probably my favorite daylily. I have so many daylilies that I have loved that declined (evergreens) or developed crown rot at some time or another. Some are still here, but seems like if they develop crown rot once, if they survive, they get it again within a few years. This has never had a bad year, very vigorous

Round and Round we Go is an unusual color, not quite the color in this photo, but sort of a bitone. I like the flower, poor bud count though

I wanted to post Malasian Marketplace, I love that one too and it had a great year after almost dying. Grass had grown up in it, and rather than digging it up I thought pulling up the grass would be easier on it. Apparently not, but it survived and did well this past summer. I know I took several photos, but among those missing pics.

• shive

Brad - Westbourne Good Old Days looks more like a bicolor in your garden. The picture I took was in cooler temps when the difference in color was not as pronouned. I always love your photo of Pony.

Nancy - I wish Clown Parade looked that pretty here. It's a red coral here, and it has not shown any vigor yet.. I may move it in the Spring.

Debra

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Ooh, Mississippi Magistrate is lovely and Simply Charming is aptly named!

We love bicolors and bitones in our garden and have a lot. We actually breed for them and have many show up in the toothy lines too.

Sihir is the one I am most excited about. It came from Canada two seasons ago and is doing well here.

Tears of a Clown is an offspring of the well-loved Clown Parade.

The photo of Rattlesnake Rake is not from this season but I had to post it as an excellent example of a bicolor.

This is a seedling we are watching. It is Dragon Fangs X Horns.

More to come . . .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Here are a few small ones that are bicolor or bitones.

Cobb's Hill Jester is a cute little one.

Lillian's Tears and Roses is one of my favorites.

Little Summer Star is cute too.

More to come . . .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Here is my last bunch.

Sonoran Desert Rose is a great grower.

Lotus Position gave us some pretty flowers this season.

Just Another is a great grower, but is not my favorite flower.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• Brad KY 6b

Nancy, I like Lillian's Tears and Roses a lot. Great form and color. Is it large?

Brad

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Mississippi Magistrate and Tears of a Clown are worth a second look today! It was hard to narrow the selections down, all are so nice.

Little Jetsetter had first blooms here this past season. What more could you ask for, purple and a bitone!
    Stephanie Returns has been a good performer but no rebloom yet.
    La Belle Dame has been in my garden for a long time, was a so-so performer. Finally moved it last fall and it did great this past season!
    Toward the Blue got posted by me already, had to add it in this category again. Had its first blooms this past season and did great!

Sherry

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Brad, Lillian's Tears and Roses has a flower of about 3.5 inches.

Stephanie Returns is neat. I love the reverse bicolors. Little Jet Setter is cute too.

I know I posted my 10, but I forgot one that I should have included. Crackling Fire is a reverse bicolor. I had been wanting it, but it was so expensive, but finally I found it on an end-of-season sale.

• Brad KY 6b

Sherry, Little Jet Setter is very pretty.

Nancy, Stephanie Returns is very interesting!

Brad

• celeste

You all posted some very pretty ones. Of special interest to me is Crackling Fire since you don't see many reverse bicolors and I love UFs. Also Debra's Mississippi Magistrate and Simply Charming always look perfect.

I may be repeating some already posted but the thread is about favorites and these are mine:

MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE

WESTBOURNE GOOD OLD DAYS

LOTUS POSITION

My number one favorite bi-color CLOWN PARADE

• celeste

CINDY'S LACE

ROYAL JESTER

GEORGE JETS ON

• celeste

OLD KING COLE

CAROLYN HUNT

LATE AGAIN

EARLY DAYS

• signet_gw(6b)

bi-colors and bi-tones are favorites of mine . Here are some that I grow here This is a John Lambert daylily "Patterns"

This one is Bobby Martin

Free Burma is a Bi Color

• signet_gw(6b)

This one is Ocean Rain

This one below is Emerald Starburst

This one below was sold to me as Storm of the Century but it isn't . There is a long story attached to this one and the others that came with it . So I have no idea what the name of this plant is but I have kept it as a noid solely because it is a bitone .

• signet_gw(6b)

This is one of my seedlings

• signet_gw(6b)

And finally , a couple of seedlings This one is a bi color

This seedling is a bi tone

and a reverse bi tone Simmering Elephant

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Celeste, I love, love, love Carolyn Hunt! A purple Bitone with a midrib!!!

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)

Debra , your image of Shadow Walker is my favourite of your images. A personal preference as my first love is UF's . It looks almost regal. I had not heard of this one before so thank you for sharing your image .

Brad love your image of Erin Farmer! I grow it here too and it always looks fabulous . Don't think I have ever seen a bad bloom on that one . Also your image of WGOD shows what I can look forward to this coming spring I hope . I added this one this past season but did not see it bloom no doubt due to our horrendous drought. If mine looks half as nice as your image shows , I will be a happy camper.!

Hoosier_nan. Your Matton daylily really is lovely. Daniel has some wonderful registrations and they are not easy to come by. . Tears of a Clown , Rattlesnake Rake and Cobb Hill Jester all catch my eye. I have been hemming and hawing about RR but seeing an image from a real garden has confirmed that I would love to add this one to my gardens.

Celeste, many thanks for posting your images of Malaysian Marketplace. I have been able to track it down here and hope to add it to my gardens this coming spring . WOOT WOOT !

Always so hard to choose from among your many beauties . Cindy's Lace , Royal Jester and Carolyn Hunt are ones that I will now search for . Maybe I will be lucky enough to find them here.

• shive

Here are a couple of bicolor seedlings I like.

Barbara Mandrell X Red Edition is my fastest multiplying red seedling, but so far hasn't had higher than 11 blooms.

Destined to See X a Back Scratcher seedling - I'm hoping it improves because I like the look of the bloom.

Debra

• signet_gw(6b)

Oooooh Debra , who cares if Barbara Mandrell X Red Edition only gets 11 blooms. It is drop dead gorgeous! Hard to say no to Destined to See X a Back Scratcher either but out of the 2 , BM x RE is the one that grabs my attention. There are lots of registered daylilies out there with less than 11 blooms that are registered for their uniqueness or beauty and rightly so. The fact that you say it is a fast increaser more than makes up for a few blooms on a scape as with more scapes the fast increase you mention means more blooms anyway.

• shive

Hoosier Nancy - Sihir has such rich colors and a great toothy edge. I very much like the looks of Just Another. Why don't you like it?

Sherry - Little Jetsetter is a little cutie. Very nice!

Celeste - Lotus Position sure looks happy in your garden. Late Again catches my eye, as lates always do.

Heather - You have lots of great ones! I think Ocean Rain and your seedling are my favorites.

Debra

• shive

I have some late bicolor and bitones.

Wizard's Wish

Royal Jester

Surfin Dude

Debra

• Brad KY 6b

Celeste, my favorites of yours are Cindy's Lace and Malaysian Marketplace

Heather, I love your seedling!

Brad

• lilykate7a

Not normally a favorite look that I like but many of these are really pretty. I actually have more than I thought. This one is my favorite. Royal Banner

• lilykate7a

Another favorite

• lilykate7a

I have a few others but they are definitely not favorites!! These will be enough!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Debra, your seedlings are gorgeous! I hope they both improve for you.

Kate, I adore Royal Banner, great photo!

Sherry

• KarenPA_6b

Another wonderful color series! I am glad to see so many different colored ones. I really enjoyed seeing everyone's collection. I may need to add some to my want list!

Debra, love your Mississippi Magistrate! Perfectly gorgeous!

Brad, my favorites from your collection are Erin Farmer and Pony. Pony is adorable!

Nancy, your CLown Parade is beautiful! I really like your photo of it!

Nancy (Hoosier), your Tears of a Clown and Rattlesnake Rake are my favorites. RR is very unique in its pattern and color. Your pic of it is probably the best one that I have seen. Do you have any seedlings from it?

Sherry, love your Little Jet Setter and Toward the Blue! Can I ask what is the size of LJS in your garden?

• KarenPA_6b

Celeste, MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE, GEORGE JETS ON, and your poly of Clown Parade are all very nice! MM looks so cheerful and happy.

Signet, Free Burma and your seedling are my favorites of yours.

Debra, Wizard's Wish is so beautiful and so are your two seedlings! I can't decide which seedling l like more! They are both pretty!

Kate, Royal Banner is gorgeous! I can see why it is a favorite of yours! It would be mine too.

Here are some of mine

Guy's Outrageous

Digital Dynamics

Heman

• KarenPA_6b

Alabama Swing - a very prolific and long bloomer

A very floriferous seedling from Wolverine X Van Helsing

Shards of Kryptonite

Cougar X Horns seedling

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Karen, your seedlings are beautiful! I especially like Wolverine X Van Helsing. That's quite a clump! Alabama Swing is a new one to me. It's quite nice.

We did cross Rattlesnake Rake with Charmed Existence. Here is a picture of it.

Nancy

• Brad KY 6b

Karen, I like Guy's Outrageous. Neat color combo. Also Like your seedling Wolverine X Van Helsing

• signet_gw(6b)

Kate ,I can sure see why Royal Banner is your favourite . Yum !

Karen , what can I say , you have some real beauties here . I can't pick . There is something special about each and everyone . I have none of these and so will add them to my want list . I will probably never find them here but I can always try . Wolverine X Van Helsing looks like it has the ability to reach out and call you across the yard.

So many many beauties here . I have probably missed commenting on some but I will definitely be using this page as a resource .. Thank you all for sharing your pictures.!!!!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nan, that’s a really lovely seedling from Rattlesnake Rake!

Karen, Little Jetsetter is was probably 15-16” it’s second full summer her. I think it need a-bit more time to settle in. It’s at the front of a border here, couldn’t resist the lovely blooms, 3 1/4” this past season.

Sherry

• KarenPA_6b

Thanks, Nancy for posting a pic of your seedling. Not sure whether your seedling takes after RR or CHarmed Existence because the pollen parent is a bitone too.

Nancy and Signet, you are very kind! Wolverine X Van Helsing has nice branching and maybe 20+ buds. The only problem is that it is a late bloomer and blooms a lot at once so its bloom season lasts about 2 weeks. I have yet to see rebloom on it but it is currently in the seedling bed which is not a good place for it being crowded and competed with weeds and tree roots. Next year when I move it out, I hope it will show some rebloom. I have found that drought definitely dampens the chance for rebloom.

Thanks Sherry for posting Little Jetsetter's size. I am a bit confused. Is it 15" or 3 1/4" ? Anyway, I love your pic of it and I really like to add it to my garden.

Celeste, I somehow miss Lotus Position. That's a beautiful one too! Love its name!

• shive

Karen - Wolverine x Van Helsing looks fabulous. as does Alabama Swing. Shards of Kryptonite always grabs me.

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Karen, just to clarify for you, the stats for little Jet Setter from the hybridizer, blooms are a bit shy of 3” and height of the plant should be 18”. So, LJ was shorter for me, blooms slightly larger than registration.

Sherry

• KarenPA_6b

Thanks Sherry for clarifying. I am sorry that I misunderstood the height as the size. For some reason, I saw the number as a fraction and thought you meant it to be less than 1" . I am glad it is 3" because the color and veining are so pretty.