Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ydubois

Dining Room - What should I put on the Walls

ydubois
4 years ago

Please help?? I have no idea what to put on the walls to complete the dining room. Two doors one is the half bath, the other is door to master. Then we have barn doors that leads to the guest rooms. I am thinking of covering up the windows on the french doors so that it looks like solid barn doors. Maybe mirrors??? I am stumped. Thank you. Any suggestions is appreciated

Comments (24)

• jck910
    4 years ago

No mirrors nobody wants to watch themselves eat. Look at art.com for ideas

• everdebz
    4 years ago

If dining table is wood, painted, then especially I see a 'good' in your doors as they are... are floors wood?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

You need three large, colorful art pieces to add some life to each of the empty walls. Look for something that means something personally to you, and reflects your likes and interests.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I am NOT against mirrors universally. A tall leaning mirror hung beyond the barn doors on the hall wall would bounce light and reflect the lighting. For heavens sake, if your company is so boring they need to stare at themselves eating? ??!! They WON'T.

Add ART on the side walls. Good grief: )

I will ask, why do you NEED the barn doors at all? Dining is a "public" event. I doubt any guest is sleeping when you are using the room. Take the darn doors off. Not every opening must have a closure. Especially one that is already rather closed in, and tight.

A beautiful mirror, has been a part of dining rooms for centuries. The relentless bashing of an element that can add light , reflect candle light and flowers, sparkle..........and the illusion of size, is just absurd.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Lot's of potential here. You need to open up this space. I would add a large mirror to this wall. It will reflect the interesting barn doors, which are currently the only interesting architectural feature here.

On the other 2 walls, I'd add tall art. Nothing small and dinky. Need to be tall.

Please remove the tall centerpiece. It is overwhelming and guests cannot see each other. The chandelier appears to be hung too high. The bottom should be 30" above the table top.

I also recommend a linear chandelier. It appears to be round.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Leave the “barn doors” permanently open.
    No mirror is needed in a dining room.
    Hang colorful art on the walls.
    Use a tablecloth to add some more color to the room.
    Be sure that nobody in the dining room can hear activity in the adjacent powder room: if that door is not already solid-core and down-to-the-floor, change it. The only thing worse than watching yourself eat in a big mirror is listening to bathroom sounds while seated at the dinner table.
    Use a low centerpiece so guests can see each other.
    Add some architectural interest to the room with simple crown and base moldings. The room is featureless and mono-toned.
    Dinner place-settings should be closer to the dining guest.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

I would paint this dining area a whole other color including the Bathroom and Master doors, so they fade away. Not the Barn Door.

Maybe something bold in color. A color you have in the other rooms that may work in this dining room on the walls? An accent color.

Then add art.

• ydubois
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions.

This house was a mission trying to work with the space, we actually had to add to make it work.

Yes I totally agree the space is kind of tight, therefore making it open is definitely required.

The chandelier is linear, not round. Will remove the tall centerpiece and lower chandelier. Yes we adding the crown moulding, just didn't get to it yet. Base boards are there already.

Art on both walls okay

Leave or remove barn doors. Like that idea.

Is it best to put the large mirror back wall of the barn doors or on wall next to the half bath?

Actually I guess it would be best on the wall behind the barn doors, don't want the bedroom door hitting the mirror.

• altadavey
    4 years ago

I’d try a mirror on the wall beyond the barn doors. They are adding architectural interest and I’d leave them open! If you have another entrance to your master, I’d drywall that one in. And, I’d place two vertical pictures, not too small, on the door to the potty. Good luck!

• ydubois
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would all suggest painting the barn doors white? instead of black?

Or is consensus to remove the doors all together?

Love idea of large mirror on that back wall to reflect light into the room

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Just DITCH the doors. It isn't a barn , is it??? Honestly, they hem in an already closed in space. : )

• ydubois
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OMG @Jan Moyer you are killing me with your honesty. A New Yorker just like me ....direct and too the point. Okay got it the Barn doors are gone. LOL

• map
    4 years ago

The doors remind me of shoji screens. :)

• ydubois
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@CDR Design I originally thought so too, maybe if its painted white and left open it will open the space with the large mirror on the back wall. I am trying to work with what I have.

• ydubois
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Screens!!! Oh no....just want a nice open elegant dining space.

I know I need art on the walls and definitely will incorporate that. Just wanting to get full scope of the suggestions before I went ahead and purchased.

• ydubois
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think painting the walls a different color would make the room smaller.

• Renee
    4 years ago

As art, would consider switching that chandelier for something in a elongated rectangle to complement the long table. With black to play off the barn doors. That current chandelier is beautiful but doesn’t match the table or add color.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

You have one idea in your ideabook. It shows a light, bright airy, mostly white space. Is that what your are drawn to or do you like some black added to the mix?

• ydubois
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Renee....interesting, the chandelier is rectangle, maybe not long enough for the table as you say...added black hmm?? My floors are stained black wood.

@CDR Design....I wouldn't mind black added to the mix....

I open to all suggestions...add touch of black....I want the room to look elegant and open.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I think the doors add an elegant touch without looking heavy. I would add very light abstract art to the 2 walls and a mirror across from the doors.

• ydubois
    Original Author
    4 years ago

CDR Design so you suggest keeping the doors black and add the mirror to the wall that is between the half bath and master bedroom door? versus behind the barn doors?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I think either way is fine. You could put the mirror between the barn doors, then art on the opposite wall. Then, I'd leave the sidewalks blank.

• map
    4 years ago

@ydubous I didn't mean it in a bad way. I was comparing it to a "barn" door per se. I think the black gives your room depth.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County